• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Extensive / Focused Consumption Of A Particular Food Item

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Experience: I've eaten only crisps for the past 10 years
'When my son was five, I bought a packet of barbecue-flavoured crisps and that was it: I was in love'
Debbie Taylor
The Guardian, Saturday 12 February 2011

I'm not a fan of the cooked meal. I'm much happier with Monster Munch crisps – beef flavour; I wouldn't touch pickled onion. When I open the bag, I check if they have enough beef coating on them; if it's not enough, I'll throw them away. Sometimes there's a nugget of pure beef flavouring at the bottom, which is delicious. You could say I'm a connoisseur.

I've been eating two family-size bags a day for two years, and little else for the past decade. My shopping trolley looks as if I'm having a children's party. The idea of eating anything else is repellent; I don't like being full and bloated, which is how "proper food" makes me feel. I have a tea for breakfast, skip lunch and then I'm ready for my first large bag of crisps at around 4pm and my second bag at 8pm. During the day I'll have a few cups of tea and sometimes a cola. I don't get ravenous because my body is used to it after all these years.

The only time I'll eat anything else is a family meal at a restaurant. Then I'll pick at a piece of dry chicken and a morsel of bread, just to stop people nagging at me.

I've always been a fussy eater. I can remember my mum trying everything to get me to eat healthily, cooking spaghetti bolognese and chopping up veg, which I refused to eat. She finally said, "If you don't eat that, there's nothing else." "Fine," I replied, "I don't want anything."

etc...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/ ... -ten-years

There was a story in the FT about a bloke who lived on something weird like this - baked beans, was it, or something highly processed like that? - for years, and then another story a couple of years later about his death from malnutrition.

This woman is going the same way, and so will her son, with her as an example. Silly bint.

Living on baked beans!!!!!!

It sounds a little like the Terry Prachett quote:

"....although it was possible to live on figs you soon wished you didn't."

I hope she is getting some help.

She clearly has some deep psychological issues.

Either that or she needs to wake up and realise that if she doesn't start eating properly then shes going to soon leave her son without a mother.

It is supposed to be feasible to live on potatoes alone, so crisps are the not worst thing you could choose. However, I'd think processing potatoes to crisps would take out a lot, if not all vitamin C, so you might be looking at scurvey.

A baked bean diet is probably surviable too, though it'd be a lonely life....

I don't know if you've read the entire article, but it sound like she's had a history of eating disorders.

Timble2 said:
It is supposed to be feasible to live on potatoes alone, so crisps are the worst thing you could choose. However, I'd think processing potatoes to crisps would take out a lot, if not all viatmin C, so you might be looking at scurvey.

I heard a while ago that a packet of crisps has more vitamin C in it than an apple. Dunno if that applies to Monster Munch. Mr Monster Munch would probably know.

BTW: I meant to say "not the worst the thing you could chose". With the vitamin proviso...

I'd not heard that about crisps and vitamin C.

Edit: Just checked, Monster Munch is a corn snack, not potato-based, you might be in more trouble with those.

Lest we forget: ”playwright and humorist” Paul Rudnick of New York City claims to live only on candy:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/28/dining/28Rudn.html

The truth seems a little less Willy Wonka:

For example, what he ate over the course of a recent, typical day was this: a plain bagel, a three-pack of Yodels, a small can of dry-roasted peanuts, some Hershey’s Kisses, and some breakfast cereal, which he eats by the handful, dry, out of the box.

American man eats 25,000th Big Mac
A retired prison guard ate his 25,000th Big Mac on Tuesday, 39 years to the day after eating his first nine.
12:47AM BST 18 May 2011

Don Gorske was honoured after reaching the meaty milestone during a ceremony at a McDonald's in his hometown of Fond du Lac.
Guinness World Records recognised Mr Gorske's feat three years and 2,000 Big Macs ago, and the 59-year-old says he has no desire to stop.
"I plan on eating Big Macs until I die," he said.
"I have no intentions of changing. It's still my favourite food. Nothing has changed in 39 years. I look forward to it every day."

Mr Gorske, who appeared in the 2004 documentary Super Size Me, which examined the fast food industry, looks nothing like one might expect of a fast food junkie.
He's trim and walks regularly for exercise, and he attributes his build to being "hyperactive."
He said he was recently given a clean bill of health and that his cholesterol is low.

Mr Gorske's obsession with the burger started May 17, 1972, when he bought three Big Macs to celebrate the purchase of a new car. He was hooked, and went back to McDonald's twice more that day, eating nine before they closed. :shock:

He's only gone eight days since without a Big Mac, and most days he eats two.
Among the reasons he skipped a day was to grant his mother a dying wish.
His last Big Mac-less day was Thanksgiving 2000, when he forgot to stock up and the restaurant was closed for the traditional American harvest holiday.

Mr Gorske said he loves numbers and counting things and was inspired to start counting his burgers because McDonald's noted how many hamburgers were served on their sign.
He said he probably has an obsessive-compulsive disorder, and that he likes repetition and doesn't like change. He said he's kept many of the Big Mac boxes and receipts over the years, and has noted his purchases in calendars he's kept.

McDonald's says there are 540 calories in a Big Mac, which is more than a quarter of the calories a person on a 2,000-calorie diet would consume.

Mr Gorske said he likes other foods, including bratwurst and lobsters, but that he loves Big Macs and his wife Mary, a nurse, never has to worry about making him a meal.

"I really do enjoy every Big Mac," he said.
He said his wife jokes about ending his streak.
"She says when she has to put them in a blender, it's over," he said.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink ... g-Mac.html

I think he looks in remarkably good shape for 59.
He really is a good advert for McDonald's nutrition - wonder if they'll sponsor him?

Mythopoeika said:
I think he looks in remarkably good shape for 59.
He really is a good advert for McDonald's nutrition - wonder if they'll sponsor him?

I've heard that if you stay away from the fries and the shakes, you can, in fact, live on BigMacs.

(I'm vegetarian, so, I'm not going to try that.)

I'm starting this thread for the theme of extensive / excessive / mind-boggling consumption of a particular food item. This isn't so much about the oddness of the food item per se, but rather the oddness of an individual's or group's narrow focus or high rate of consumption for that food item.

Let me start off with a story about a man who recently ate his 30,000th Big Mac ...

Wisconsin man eats 30,000th Big Mac
The Guinness World Record holder for eating the most Big Macs added to his milestone on Friday by eating his 30,000th of McDonald's signature burger.

Don Gorske a 64-year-old retired prison guard from Wisconsin, ate his 30,000th Big Mac at his local McDonald's in Fond du Lac, Wis. ...

Gorske said he has been eating Big Macs everyday since 1972 and broke the word record in 2016 when he ate his 28,788th burger.

"I love the patties, I love the sauce, I can't get enough of it," Gorske told the New York Post.

Gorske said there have been only eight days where he hasn't eaten a Big Mac since 1972 and his mission hasn't had any ill effects on his health.

"I'm healthy as a horse. I weigh 190 pounds, and my cholesterol is 165," he said. "I'm better than normal." ...

SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2018/0...?utm_source=sec&utm_campaign=sl&utm_medium=12

Every day, April Griffiths starts her morning with a cheese sandwich or two slices of toast. Then she has a cheese sandwich for lunch. And one for dinner too. April, 29, has a severe food phobia, and experiences intense anxiety at even the thought of eating food that isn’t a cheese sandwich. The mum-of-two has been living off a diet of cheese sandwiches and crisps since she was a child, only mixing things up with melted cheese on toast on special occasions. April, from Nuneaton, Warwickshire said: ‘Every time I attempt to try new things, I have a panic attack, my whole body begins to shake, and I am terribly nervous. ‘The fear of choking and experiencing a different texture of food scares me and even though I have tried to eat pea-size portions of rice, pasta or vegetables, I have never been able to swallow it without throwing up.'

https://metro.co.uk/2019/09/16/mum-...heese-sandwiches-for-almost-30-years-10745299

Every day, April Griffiths starts her morning with a cheese sandwich or two slices of toast. Then she has a cheese sandwich for lunch. And one for dinner too. April, 29, has a severe food phobia, and experiences intense anxiety at even the thought of eating food that isn’t a cheese sandwich. The mum-of-two has been living off a diet of cheese sandwiches and crisps since she was a child, only mixing things up with melted cheese on toast on special occasions. April, from Nuneaton, Warwickshire said: ‘Every time I attempt to try new things, I have a panic attack, my whole body begins to shake, and I am terribly nervous. ‘The fear of choking and experiencing a different texture of food scares me and even though I have tried to eat pea-size portions of rice, pasta or vegetables, I have never been able to swallow it without throwing up.'

https://metro.co.uk/2019/09/16/mum-...heese-sandwiches-for-almost-30-years-10745299

I say with no real knowledge, isn't this the kind of case in which they bust out the hypnotism?

The pasta is yummy; it tastes and feels just like cheese on toast.

I say with no real knowledge, isn't this the kind of case in which they bust out the hypnotism?

The pasta is yummy; it tastes and feels just like cheese on toast.

With some minor success, according to the article.

‘I have been in and out of counselling since a child, but it has never worked, the only time I have been somewhat ‘cured’ is when I had hypnotherapy. ‘I had two sessions and I managed to eat rice a couple of months after which was a massive deal for me, I was so proud. ‘But it was £300 a session and I simply couldn’t afford it; I hope one day something will be available on the NHS.’

I know someone who lives on Manuka honey.

He is unemployed and cannot afford real food.

he is not healthy. (And wont listen to advice)

I know someone who lives on Manuka honey.

He is unemployed and cannot afford real food.

he is not healthy. (And wont listen to advice)
That's all he eats? Someone should remind him that he's not a bee.

Yes.

I have told him the many benefits of eating real food (like, say, for example, not looking like an idiot) but he isnt interested.
Does he have some kind of food phobia or fixation? Does it have to be MANUKA honey, or will he eat any other kind?

I'd think this is the sort of problem that will sort itself out very quickly in a terminal kind of fashion.

Yes.

I have told him the many benefits of eating real food (like, say, for example, not looking like an idiot) but he isnt interested.
I had a friend, growing up, who would only eat 'Campbells meatballs in gravy' nothing else, he was hospitalised a few times and force fed more nutritious food, i think he grew out of it, he moved away when i was still a kid so i dont know what became of him.

I had a friend, growing up, who would only eat 'Campbells meatballs in gravy' nothing else, he was hospitalised a few times and force fed more nutritious food.

A glowing endorsement!

Let me start off with a story about a man who recently ate his 30,000th Big Mac ...
Update ...

Donald Gorske of Wisconsin is still eating Big Macs daily, and his Guinness World Record tally has now be validated at 32,340.

Update ...

Donald Gorske of Wisconsin is still eating Big Macs daily, and his Guinness World Record tally has now be validated at 32,340.

Do the council have to knock down an outer wall if he wants to leave his house?

Back