• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Pictures & Stories That Could Be Ghosts But Aren’t

Today I was walking into town when a fog descended and through it two dark horses appeared pull a carriage behind them.

It wasn’t a ghost though unfortunately. It was dust from a construction site with a beautiful horse drawn funeral.

A long time ago I was working in a cemetery office and I heard the clip clopping of hooves. I’d completely forgot they told me there was a horse drawn funeral coming in.

Google street view camera caught a ghostly image: Google captures image of ghost! (just kidding . . .).jpg

Google street view camera caught a ghostly image:View attachment 20066
Here's ONE of a series of a sequence of eleven separate fly-pasts of an Unidentifiable Flying Object/before - and after it came into view, and as it/they passed overhead and as they left the scene, progressive shots which I stumbled across when I was using Google Street Map some time ago.
P.S. Since removed!
1 st in set of Google UFO images.jpg

Last edited:
Here's ONE of a series of a sequence of eleven separate fly-pasts of an Unidentifiable Flying Object/before - and after it came into view, and as it/they passed overhead and as they left the scene, progressive shots which I stumbled across when I was using Google Street Map some time ago.
P.S. Since removed!View attachment 20068

Not completely removed. Turn around slightly. It's visible in 2 frames. (I suspect plastic carrier bag)

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.107...4V606sng!2e0!5s20100901T000000!7i13312!8i6656

y4EnKKm.jpg

Suggest a second look (close-up) 'Mythopoeika,' might be required!
That picture isn't very clear, 'Sid'. Taking a photo of a screen like that leads to a poor quality image. Using CTRL-PrtSc will capture the whole screen at full resolution.
The UFO on the left is too small and fuzzy, so forget it.
The one in the centre... hmmm. It does look like a flying alarm clock.

That picture isn't very clear, 'Sid'. Taking a photo of a screen like that leads to a poor quality image. Using CTRL-PrtSc will capture the whole screen at full resolution.

Time flies.

Cheers 'Mythopoeika:' The object itself is pretty clear, the smaller object when blown up to max is a silver sphere!

...the smaller object when blown up to max is a silver sphere!
Because of the lack of pixels, almost anything at that distance with that level of focus and fuzz will look like a sphere.
Bokeh, anyone?

Because of the lack of pixels, almost anything at that distance with that level of focus and fuzz will look like a sphere.
Bokeh, anyone?
More than enough pixels to see that the object in the centre of the picture carries an antennae 'Mythopoeika,' also I would point out that the object was tracked from when it first comes into view at a far off distance down the road, to when it flies above the houses and the gentleman in the frame, then flies away across the valley in another direction. All in the space of just a few seconds - going by the movements in each of the frames, and of the views within the sequence.

More than enough pixels to see that the object in the centre of the picture carries an antennae 'Mythopoeika,' also I would point out that the object was tracked from when it first comes into view at a far off distance down the road, to when it flies above the houses and the gentleman in the frame, then flies away across the valley in another direction. All in the space of just a few seconds - going by the movements in each of the frames, and of the views within the sequence.

Bear in mind the traffic was probably moving quite slowly, by the looks of it, thanks to those building works and temporary traffic lights (and entering/leaving a 20MPH zone). No idea how fast that old person in the forecourt was walking (he/she seems to pause at one point to look towards the road). We don't know the exact day the pics were taken (only month) so we wouldn't be able to determine the weather (and thus windspeed/direction) that day. Pershore had several days that month when there was very little cloud and strong wind.

I still suspect a plastic bag caught in the wind.

Bear in mind the traffic was probably moving quite slowly, by the looks of it, thanks to those building works and temporary traffic lights (and entering/leaving a 20MPH zone). No idea how fast that old person in the forecourt was walking (he/she seems to pause at one point to look towards the road). We don't know the exact day the pics were taken (only month) so we wouldn't be able to determine the weather (and thus windspeed/direction) that day. Pershore had several days that month when there was very little cloud and strong wind.

I still suspect a plastic bag caught in the wind.
Yes, and the 'antenna' is probably just the handle.

It's so blinkin' fuzzy, we don't know what we're looking at, do we?
I'll give up at this point.

Yes, agreed... it's fuzzy - though it doesn't' "blink!" But that's the main reason why I put it (and other stuff) on 'Forteana.'I'm saying what I can make it out to be, whilst you make it out to be what you see... fair-enough! But don't give up, as I expect others will have different opinion/view, of what they see too. That's what makes us question what we see - and that's the way it should be! No fixed opinions in Fortean stuff, just strange experiences and interesting comment... long may it last!

Last Sunday I was playing cricket in an idyllic village location. A triangular village green, surrounded by some majestic oak trees and a few picture-postcard timbered houses with leaded windows.

It was late in the day, with only a handful of overs to go. From my position, at deep backward square, I had to squint a bit, as the low sun was right in my eyes.

Suddenly, I caught a fleeting glimpse of something long, thin and white out of the corner of my eye.
There it was again! And another one!

A phantom 12th fielder at deep midwicket?
Lost souls of those still trapped here, since the days when the village green had a gibbet?

Alas no. Just long strands of spider silk drifting across the grass and catching the rays of the setting sun.

Easy to see how such natural phenomena could be misinterpreted as something supernatural, particularly in failing daylight.

Alas no. Just long strands of spider silk drifting across the grass and catching the rays of the setting sun.

(Might need a new 'thread' here... ("no pun intended"))

'Mentioning about Spiders Silk catching the ray's of the Sun 'blessmycottonsocks;' just the other morning I happened to be glancing out from my Kitchen window, and a single vertical strand of silk from a spider's web amongst some dewy runner-bean leaves caught my eye (again - no pun intended:points:) As I took a more concentrated look at it - I noticed that it was somehow refracting part of the colour spectrum - mainly the deep reds.

I was wondering just how it's possible for a spiders web to be able to split light, as I've always thought that a single strand of a Spiders web to be round in form... anybody know how the detail of a cross section of a Spiders web is structured?

Only, I've had a good look on the Internet for info on it, and there doesn't appear to be anything on actually how they are formed at all, only on how they are spun and constructed as a whole web?

(Might need a new 'thread' here... ("no pun intended"))

'Mentioning about Spiders Silk catching the ray's of the Sun 'blessmycottonsocks;' just the other morning I happened to be glancing out from my Kitchen window, and a single vertical strand of silk from a spider's web amongst some dewy runner-bean leaves caught my eye (again - no pun intended:points:) As I took a more concentrated look at it - I noticed that it was somehow refracting part of the colour spectrum - mainly the deep reds.

I was wondering just how it's possible for a spiders web to be able to split light, as I've always thought that a single strand of a Spiders web to be round in form... anybody know how the detail of a cross section of a Spiders web is structured?

Only, I've had a good look on the Internet for info on it, and there doesn't appear to be anything on actually how they are formed at all, only on how they are spun and constructed as a whole web?

Brown recluse silk is a flat ribbon made of nanostrands.

https://phys.org/news/2018-11-unraveling-secret-spider-silkit-cable.html

And the visible/UV reflective properties of silk have been studied. Very good at attracting flies, good at warning birds and other beasties that it's there and please don't fly into it.

https://asknature.org/strategy/spider-silk-warns-birds/

I was just thinking you could do some serious haunting with smart home items. You could definitely freak someone out.

This Snopes article explains how two separate but similar stories were intertwined and mangled via social media to produce a ghost story (or at least a remarkably Fortean encounter story) that was absolutely false.
Did a Hiker Photograph a Ghost and Find Car Keys in the Woods?

Viral postings tell the tale of a missing woman, a ghostly apparition, and an abandoned car in the middle of nowhere. ...

Claim
After spotting a ghostly figure in a photo, the photographer returned to the location, found car keys that matched an abandoned vehicle, and learned that a woman had mysteriously disappeared nearby.

The story was an intriguing one right from the start: A woman hiking with her boyfriend took his picture at a popular Canadian cliffside that overlooked the wilderness below. Later that night, she looked closely at the photograph and noticed a person — perhaps even a ghost — standing far in the background. She returned to the location where she snapped the picture and found a set of car keys. Walking back to the parking lot, she located a matching abandoned car. After she began her search for the missing driver, police told her about a woman who had gone missing in the area, and she found out through additional research that the missing woman’s husband had an abusive past. When she later returned to the abandoned car, the missing woman emerged from the woods, alive and well.

It’s quite the tale, but it’s not true. Rather, it appears that elements from at least two different stories from 2016 and 2019 were combined to make one dramatic narrative that took on different forms in 2020: Upbeat News published “Hiker Finds Something Unexplainable in Photos from Her Trip,” and Penguin MD posted a piece headlined, “Her Vacation Photo Went Viral and She Couldn’t Figure Out Why.” ...

FULL STORY: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/her-vacation-photo-went-viral/

I’m not sure if I’ve mentioned it before. But in 2004 mum and I went to the Jane Austen festival in Bath and we did the dressing up. We were coming back from an event at the other end of Bath and it was starting to rain and there were no taxis to be had, eventually we found a horse and carriage ride. Which was pretty appropriate anyway. The number of double takes we got. But I am very disappointed not to have heard of the ghostly carriage with the Regency ladies. :rollingw:

I’m not sure if I’ve mentioned it before. But in 2004 mum and I went to the Jane Austen festival in Bath and we did the dressing up. We were coming back from an event at the other end of Bath and it was starting to rain and there were no taxis to be had, eventually we found a horse and carriage ride. Which was pretty appropriate anyway. The number of double takes we got. But I am very disappointed not to have heard of the ghostly carriage with the Regency ladies. :rollingw:

When Techy and I were there a year or so ago on a cycling break we saw crowds of ghosts in bonnets. o_O

Oh yeah, right, it was the Festival. Had us going for a minute. :hahazebs:

When Techy and I were there a year or so ago on a cycling break we saw crowds of ghosts in bonnets. o_O

Oh yeah, right, it was the Festival. Had us going for a minute. :hahazebs:
On the other hand it would be a great place for a ghost to hide.

Back