• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Bad Medicine: Daffy Doctors & Medical Mishaps

Fake cosmetic surgeon performs non-fake surgery:
Fake surgeon news

I know there's a lot of money in cosmetic surgery, but asking for background checks might not be such a bad idea, according to that story. Anyway, he's been arrested.

Weaponised incompetence in play here, the case history on the link includes remote diagnosis, failure to be aware of drug side effects and failure to read own hospital records:

Campaigners are calling for an inquiry into concerns that families have been wrongly accused of inventing or causing illnesses in their children.

Fabricated or Induced Illness (FII) is a rare form of abuse where parents exaggerate or cause their child's medical condition.

Families and charities claim there is a "wave of false allegations".

The Department of Health says that young people will always have symptoms checked by fully-trained staff.

The call is being led by Fiightback - a support group helping families across the UK who have been accused of FII.

BBC

Isn't that called Munchhousens by Proxy (sorry bout the shite spelling)

"Factitious" is a word now? (Cue me being told it has a history reaching back to Biblical times).

Have you got a licence for your time machine?

Mid 17th century, actually. Although it's from the latin factīcius which does, technically, reach back to Biblical times.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/factitious

We've done a lot with facere: to make.

We kind of eked out the word to encompass a whole new set of usages by saying that a thing that has been done has been made true and may now seen to be the case: it's a fact.

Manufacture, factory, factual, factotum, a factor, malefactor-benefactor...

The hidden part that not everybody realises is that many of those verbs that end in '-fy' also come from 'facere' through the French ending -fier.

Satisfy = satis facere: to make enough.
Liquify = lique facere: to make liquid.
Putrefy = putre facere: to make rotten.
Pacify (and so pacific)
Horrify (and so horrific)

Etc. (enormous list)

It appears this didn't result in any serious ramifications (to date), but it's still a remarkably idiotic screw-up to have occurred during a well-known and common medical procedure.
Man Had a Nearly 5-Foot Wire Left in His Body After Heart Procedure, Lawsuit Claims

A Nevada man is suing his doctor for allegedly leaving several feet of wire in his body for more than a decade, according to news reports.

The man, 70-year-old German "OT" Ortiz, of Las Vegas, said the 57-inch (144 centimeters) wire was left in his body in 2005 after he underwent a procedure called an angiogram ... An angiogram allows doctors to take images (X-rays) of blood vessels. The procedure involves threading a catheter through the blood vessels up to the heart with the help of a "guide wire," and injecting a special dye into the catheter. ...

Ortiz didn't learn that the guide wire was still in his body until 2015, according to the lawsuit. An X-ray taken by a different doctor showed the wire stretching from a blood vessel in his thigh up to his aorta, the main artery in the chest that carries blood away from the heart, Ortiz's lawyer said during the trial's opening statements ...

SOURCE: https://www.livescience.com/65708-wire-left-in-mans-body.html

EDP24

Very shocking case on a number of levels, the story has reached the media after the death of an autistic man in her care who drowned in the bath, for those unfamiliar with learning disability, this is a relatively common and negligent way that people often die.

Only seems to have been exposed after being convicted for fraud in faking a patients will to try and inherit.

Trust that employed her insist that they've done nothing wrong as they did appropriate checks.

Something far more profoundly broken here in psychiatry if a person with no qualifications can operate for this long without differing apparent results to the qualified.

Health boards across Scotland are reviewing the clinical records of patients who received treatment from a bogus psychiatrist, who fooled NHS bosses across the UK for 22 years despite having no qualifications.
New Zealander Zholia Alemi, posed as a consultant psychiatrist for more than two decades, before being jailed last October after she defrauded a patient in Cumbria, faking a will in an attempt to inherit a £1.3m estate.

Scotland's chief medical officer, Dr Catherine Calderwood, warned earlier this year that Alemi may have treated hundreds of Scottish patients, even referring some for needless electro-convulsive therapy as well as prescribing medication that may not have been required.

She also said other patients may have been detained under the Mental Health Act or "groomed" to gain access to their finances.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman....atient-records-of-fake-psychiatrist-1-4984514

It's pretty scary to go to the doctor worrying you're going mad only to find the doctor is mad themselves.

Health boards across Scotland are reviewing the clinical records of patients who received treatment from a bogus psychiatrist, who fooled NHS bosses across the UK for 22 years despite having no qualifications.
New Zealander Zholia Alemi, posed as a consultant psychiatrist for more than two decades, before being jailed last October after she defrauded a patient in Cumbria, faking a will in an attempt to inherit a £1.3m estate.

Scotland's chief medical officer, Dr Catherine Calderwood, warned earlier this year that Alemi may have treated hundreds of Scottish patients, even referring some for needless electro-convulsive therapy as well as prescribing medication that may not have been required.

She also said other patients may have been detained under the Mental Health Act or "groomed" to gain access to their finances.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman....atient-records-of-fake-psychiatrist-1-4984514

Some 3,000 foreign doctors in the UK are being urgently checked after a woman practised psychiatry for 22 years without any qualifications.

Oh, they’re being checked now. Two cheers.

maximus otter

A Texas mom has admitted to subjecting her healthy son to unneeded medical procedures — including 13 major surgeries.

Kaylene Bowen, 35, began bringing her son, Christopher, to unnecessary doctors’ appointments when he was 11 days old, officials said. His care eventually included more than 320 hospital and doctors’ visits.

By the time he was 8 years old, the boy had undergone the more than a dozen major surgeries and was confined to a wheelchair, according to prosecutors.

https://nypost.com/2019/08/18/texas-mom-put-healthy-son-through-13-unnecessary-surgeries/

I blame the hospital as well, they should have known, didnt any of them go to medical school, or was it all the money they would have been raking in

Always double-check the identity of the patient before undertaking the procedure ...
A doctor performed an abortion on the wrong woman

Police have launched an investigation in South Korea after a doctor performed an abortion by mistake.

On August 7, a pregnant patient with a 6-week-old fetus had gone to a clinic in district of Gangseo, in the country's capital Seoul, according to the Gangseo police. At the clinic, a mix-up in medical charts and failure to check her identity led to the mistaken abortion.

The doctor and nurse in charge are under investigation, and the case will soon be sent to the prosecutor's office, police told CNN.

"The doctor and nurse have acknowledged their fault," a police official said. They are now being accused of negligence resulting in bodily harm.

According to South Korean news agency Yonhap, the patient was supposed to receive a nutritional shot at the clinic. The nurse had allegedly injected her with anesthesia without confirming her identity, and the doctor had performed the abortion without checking her identity either, Yonhap reported. The patient had been unaware of the procedure. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/24/asia/korea-wrong-abortion-intl-hnk-scli/index.html

Lots of horror stories. I have my own.

I was in hospital for 2 months over the winter. This because I hit rock bottom in my personal life and ended up starving i.e. not eating anything, for 5 weeks. In the end I called emergency services and was admitted to hospital Of course, I had lost a lot of weight after starving for 5 weeks. I was also malnourished and exhibited various symptoms typical of the condition and was therefore put on a fortified diet i.e. richer food than normal, and encouraged to eat lots of snacks in-between meals. For the first 10 days I was in the big regional hospital before being transferred to a cottage hospital.

While in the big hospital I took to hoarding food, this because in the general mayhem that is hospital, I was never sure of getting my main meals. So, a patient in hospital due to starvation and malnourishment is reduced to hoarding food???!!!!! That wasn't the worst of it. As I was eating my main meal one evening, a nurse came in and whipped away my plates even though I had not finished eating. I was left with just my cup of tea and a biscuit. The mid-evening tea/coffee trolley did not appear that night either. This, another nurse told me later, because the staff who managed the trolley had decided to leave work early to go to the pub. This nurse led me to understand that this was normal weekend behaviour. There were few managers if any on duty at weekends and so it was a case of "while the cat is away, the mice will play". I used up some of my hoarded food that night.

During my 7 weeks in the cottage hospital, one of the nurses, out of pure spite, surreptitiously and anonymously tampered with my menu choices which resulted on my being put on minimum rations for a week . By "minimum rations", I mean I was put onto the smallest portions of food possible. I was not allowed any "extras" e.g. the side-salad that I ordered with hot meals. By mid-week I was starting to feel hungry. Eventually I asked a nurse why I was being denied my food. No answer was forthcoming. However, next day my normal diet i.e. the diet I ordered from the menus, as well as the requested size of portion, was quietly reinstated. So, a patient in hospital suffering malnutrition was put on minimum diet???!!! This despite the dietician telling me to eat lots of food and in big portions?

On several occasions during my stay in the cottage hospital, serious accidents to other patients were averted by myself and another patient, as well as by a visitor. In my ward there were some very elderly women with brittle, easily broken bones. On 3 occasions one woman started falling off her chair. She would have suffered serious injury had not I and another patient, I in my crutches and the other walking with a zimmer, not gone to the rescue. We caught and held the patient who was teetering on the brink of falling under her arms and yelled for a third patient to call a nurse. On the fourth occasion, it was a hospital visitor who saved another woman from serious injury by falling. I was only in that hospital for 7 weeks. There was more than one ward in the hospital. How many other near accidents happened in the other wards that I did not know about? How many such accidents there regularly are, I do not know. But based on my experience, I can only speculate that there must be many accidents or near accidents.

Nurses were also always getting my daily pills wrong. I had to be very careful that they didn't give me e.g. the wrong pills or not enough of the right pills (vitamin supplements mostly). One of the patients had been offered anti-biotics for an infection. She refused to take them, saying she was allergic to antibiotics. Despite her refusal, the nurses tried to slip her these pills along with her usual pills. That treatment made the patient very angry and anxious. The nurses tried to slip the antibiotics past her for about a week. Luckily, due to the patient's vigilance, the nurses eventually got the message and stopped trying to trick her into taking the antibiotics.

I can provide many other horror stories about my stay in hospital. That experience was a real eye-opener. I consider myself lucky to have survived it.

If this is in Scotland I can maybe be of help going through the reporting system? You may have already got it in hand of course!

Lots of horror stories. I have my own.

I was in hospital for 2 months over the winter. This because I hit rock bottom in my personal life and ended up starving i.e. not eating anything, for 5 weeks. In the end I called emergency services and was admitted to hospital Of course, I had lost a lot of weight after starving for 5 weeks. I was also malnourished and exhibited various symptoms typical of the condition and was therefore put on a fortified diet i.e. richer food than normal, and encouraged to eat lots of snacks in-between meals. For the first 10 days I was in the big regional hospital before being transferred to a cottage hospital.

While in the big hospital I took to hoarding food, this because in the general mayhem that is hospital, I was never sure of getting my main meals. So, a patient in hospital due to starvation and malnourishment is reduced to hoarding food???!!!!! That wasn't the worst of it. As I was eating my main meal one evening, a nurse came in and whipped away my plates even though I had not finished eating. I was left with just my cup of tea and a biscuit. The mid-evening tea/coffee trolley did not appear that night either. This, another nurse told me later, because the staff who managed the trolley had decided to leave work early to go to the pub. This nurse led me to understand that this was normal weekend behaviour. There were few managers if any on duty at weekends and so it was a case of "while the cat is away, the mice will play". I used up some of my hoarded food that night.

During my 7 weeks in the cottage hospital, one of the nurses, out of pure spite, surreptitiously and anonymously tampered with my menu choices which resulted on my being put on minimum rations for a week . By "minimum rations", I mean I was put onto the smallest portions of food possible. I was not allowed any "extras" e.g. the side-salad that I ordered with hot meals. By mid-week I was starting to feel hungry. Eventually I asked a nurse why I was being denied my food. No answer was forthcoming. However, next day my normal diet i.e. the diet I ordered from the menus, as well as the requested size of portion, was quietly reinstated. So, a patient in hospital suffering malnutrition was put on minimum diet???!!! This despite the dietician telling me to eat lots of food and in big portions?

On several occasions during my stay in the cottage hospital, serious accidents to other patients were averted by myself and another patient, as well as by a visitor. In my ward there were some very elderly women with brittle, easily broken bones. On 3 occasions one woman started falling off her chair. She would have suffered serious injury had not I and another patient, I in my crutches and the other walking with a zimmer, not gone to the rescue. We caught and held the patient who was teetering on the brink of falling under her arms and yelled for a third patient to call a nurse. On the fourth occasion, it was a hospital visitor who saved another woman from serious injury by falling. I was only in that hospital for 7 weeks. There was more than one ward in the hospital. How many other near accidents happened in the other wards that I did not know about? How many such accidents there regularly are, I do not know. But based on my experience, I can only speculate that there must be many accidents or near accidents.

Nurses were also always getting my daily pills wrong. I had to be very careful that they didn't give me e.g. the wrong pills or not enough of the right pills (vitamin supplements mostly). One of the patients had been offered anti-biotics for an infection. She refused to take them, saying she was allergic to antibiotics. Despite her refusal, the nurses tried to slip her these pills along with her usual pills. That treatment made the patient very angry and anxious. The nurses tried to slip the antibiotics past her for about a week. Luckily, due to the patient's vigilance, the nurses eventually got the message and stopped trying to trick her into taking the antibiotics.

I can provide many other horror stories about my stay in hospital. That experience was a real eye-opener. I consider myself lucky to have survived it.
Shocking treatment, which shows that the NHS has undergone a serious decline.
You really should put in a complaint.

You should definitely report this to the NHS board running the hospitals. Itemise every element of fuckery in a numbered list & name the nurses involved.

If this is in Scotland I can maybe be of help going through the reporting system? You may have already got it in hand of course!

I do live in Scotland. I thank you for the offer of help. However, I do not wish to make a complaint. One reason is that I do not want to become involved in a long legal wrangle. I do not think that would be productive. It would also take up more energy than I have right now.

What I found out is that the NHS is no different to any other organisation, all are equally bad and getting worse. I used to be a teacher and in the NHS I saw the same symptoms of decline as I have seen in teaching as well as in many other walks of life. So instead of formally complaining, I think that writing about my experiences such as in forums is more useful. I am also writing about my hospital experiences as part of a larger piece of writing that I hope sometime to get published.

As I said, the experience of hospital was a real eye opener. For example, I had thought to feel secure, to feel looked after, in hospital. Not a bit of it.

In the big hospital wards comprised individual patient rooms. The resulting isolation made one feel very, very vulnerable, as did the frequent upheaval of being moved to a new ward every couple of days. Also, the individual rooms had a windowed corridor-wall where anyone wandering the corridors could look in and see the patient. (At times I did feel a bit like a zoo animal when there were lots of visitors around.) That was mostly ok since I needed to be able to see the comings and goings to feel less isolated. However, on one occasion, being too weak to clean myself properly after enduring a particularly lengthy and unpleasant session on the toilet, I returned, exhausted, to my bed. My clothing and person were soiled and not wanting to soil my bed as well, I lay on my bed face down. There I waited until I could get some strength back to reach for the bell and call a nurse. I had on a pair of hospital net knickers and an open-at-the-back hospital gown which must have been open for suddenly a nurse barged into the room. She had seen me from the corridor. Far from asking me if anything was wrong, she angrily accused me of exposing myself. She made me feel as if I had done something wrong, as if I was a pervert or something. When I told her that I was too exhausted and weak to clean myself she did clean me up. Yet despite my explanation, she showed me no sympathy. She didn’t make a very good job of cleaning me up either, for when I got some strength back I had to go into the bathroom and clean up again - as well as I was able, that is.

The cottage hospital especially had no provision for patients without (a) money and (b) next of kin. For example, since I had no next of kin to visit me, I had no one to do my laundry. I had to wash my own clothes, in secret, and surreptitiously dry them over radiators etc. (I did not want to risk drawing the nurses’ attention to my laundry – they could be very hostile – hence my secrecy.) If any nurse did realise that I was having to do my own laundry, then s/he never let on. Yet surely they must have known since I had no visitors. Even though the hospital had a washing machine and tumbler drier, I was never offered the use of them. Also, unlike the big hospital, the cottage hospital did not provide patients with essentials like toothpaste and toothbrush. I had no money to buy any. Even if I did have money, there was no one I could ask to buy me toiletries. I ran out of toothpaste 2 days before discharge, and that after eking out my supply to make it last as long as possible.

Water was another contentious issue. I, and the other patients, had tremendous difficulty getting the nurses to supply us with water. In the end, myself and another patient went to the water cooler to get our own. We even got water for other some of the other patients.

Shocking treatment, which shows that the NHS has undergone a serious decline.
You really should put in a complaint.

As I remarked in an earlier reply to someone else:

One reason is that I do not want to become involved in a long legal wrangle. I do not think that would be productive. It would also take up more energy than I have right now.

What I found out is that the NHS is no different to any other organisation, all are equally bad and getting worse. I used to be a teacher and in the NHS I saw the same symptoms of decline as I have seen in teaching as well as in many other walks of life. So instead of formally complaining, I think that writing about my experiences such as in forums is more useful. I am also writing about my hospital experiences as part of a larger piece of writing that I hope sometime to get published.

You should definitely report this to the NHS board running the hospitals. Itemise every element of fuckery in a numbered list & name the nurses involved.

As I said in an earlier post, I saw in the NHS the same decline as I saw in my nearly 3 decades in schools (I was formerly a secondary school teacher.)

For example, although I found the nurses to be bullies and to be mostly very hostile, I also saw that they were very, very angry. This, in part, because of their working conditions. They have to work really long shifts (I was appalled to discover they worked 12 hour shifts) under very difficult circumstances i.e their employers are every bit as bad as mine were. For example, as one nurse remarked, she had vast amounts of paperwork to complete. And it was, of course, true. Every time she did something for a patient it had to be written up. Also, the cottage hospital was an old building not big enough to accommodate modern hospital equipment. There was inadequate accommodation all round which just made everybody’s life difficult – patients, nurses and auxiliary staff alike. In addition, my stay in hospital made me realise what a difficult job nursing is, far more difficult I think than the job of a doctor, and yet of much lower status. Nurses are underpaid as well, of course.

So for those reasons alone, I would not want to name names. Actually, I think it is those in power, the bosses, who are to blame rather than any nurses.

Jesus H christ, that sounds bloody aweful littlebrowndragon, I have recently got out of hospital and had nothing but wonderful care, doctors and nurses have been patient and caring, the food and the kitchen people have been wonderful, i could not ask for better care and understanding, i seriously could not praise them enough

Always double-check the identity of the patient before undertaking the procedure ...

FULL STORY: https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/24/asia/korea-wrong-abortion-intl-hnk-scli/index.html
I know this is going to sound aweful, but i have to ask it anyway, do you think they will offer this lady the child of the woman who was supposed to have the abortion?

Jesus H christ, that sounds bloody aweful littlebrowndragon, I have recently got out of hospital and had nothing but wonderful care, doctors and nurses have been patient and caring, the food and the kitchen people have been wonderful, i could not ask for better care and understanding, i seriously could not praise them enough

I know this is going to sound aweful, but i have to ask it anyway, do you think they will offer this lady the child of the woman who was supposed to have the abortion?
The patient who was supposed to have the abortion has most likely had it by now. Unless she knew what had happened and decided God had spared her child or whatever and changed her mind.

... I know this is going to sound aweful, but i have to ask it anyway, do you think they will offer this lady the child of the woman who was supposed to have the abortion?

As an automatic gesture to resolve the f**k-up: No - I strongly doubt there's any legal basis motivating such a thing.
As a discretionary transaction on a personal basis: It's conceivable, but it's up to the two women whose lives have been disrupted by this.

Back