• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
There may be an underwritten motive on this latest announcement that would limit the destruction of the scottish tourist industry.

Let’s face it. There’s an Oor Wullie Annual we can all get down here, we have the recipe for shortbread, we can resort to angry, drunken physical violence by simply taking up heavy drinking and picking pointless fights in a pub car park. We have enough of our own mouthy politicians, so if there’s no monster... what’s the point?

Maybe a ‘Highland Eel Reel’ needs to be done.

Now, does anyone go to Scotland for Crypotozoology??

Seriously?

I thought the Scottish economy was based upon whisky and golf.

My canoe friends love scottish lochs but I have never once heard them refer to loch ness...its loch tay and lomond, maree and morar they frequent

Another friend went to Inverness...not loch ness.

Now, does anyone go to Scotland for Crypotozoology??

Seriously?

I thought the Scottish economy was based upon whisky and golf.

My canoe friends love scottish lochs but I have never once heard them refer to loch ness...its loch tay and lomond, maree and morar they frequent

Another friend went to Inverness...not loch ness.
People most definitely do visit Loch Ness for Cryptozoology, they may combine it with other things but there’s a small group. Heck Steve Feltham moved here for Cryptozoology.

I had a winter holiday in Loch Ness about 13 years back - and, yes, I was there on account of the monster legend.

One thing that struck me at that time is just how much everyone seemed to be downplaying Nessie - and how little the tourist trade was making of it.

The Inverness tourist shop, for example, had very few books on the issue (just one small pamphlet, as I recall). The bus tour of the Loch that I went on mostly concerned itself with the social history of the area - wars and kin gs and queens and so on. The main Loch Ness Exhibition centre was of a sceptical bent. I also noted how diffifcult it was to get close to the Loch and get a food look at it (apert from Dores). At one point I had to trespass and climb over a barbed wired fence and then clamber through bushes and trees to get to the water's edge.

In fact, most of the promotional stuff I saw about the Loch concentrated it as a good place to go fishing!

So, yes maybe the legend does draw in tourists with their money - but there was far less deliberate targetting of this than I would have expected.

So, yes maybe the legend does draw in tourists with their money - but there was far less deliberate targetting of this than I would have expected.

I've done the length of the loch a few times on a motorbike, usually along the A82 which runs along the north west shore. I have once done the length along the south east shore, which often takes you further from the water, but higher up, so you get a completely different view. There are places where you can easily get to the waterside, though — and who could resist watching for a few minutes, just in case... ? A favourite view is from the very end of the loch (SW end) where you can get to the water and look straight up the Great Glen. Magnificent.

It's not easy to see how they could exploit the monster legend more than they do. There is nothing that they can show you. Therefore, you get the Loch Ness Centre and exhibition, and a few signs, menus and the like which might refer to the monster. No doubt you can have small, medium or "monster" portions in some of the cafés, and no doubt someone does a "Nessieburger". You can get "Nessie" furry toys and tee shirts almost anywhere in Scotland.

Very few people would go to the Loch to sit for hours in the hope of seeing the monster. Those who would are perhaps the least likely to be interested in the full "tourist experience".

On the other hand, what a fantastic place for anyone who is interested in fishing — and such people are often well heeled and able to contribute lots to the local economy.

What has always surprised me is how few leisure boats you see on the loch, compared, say, to Windermere.

The infographics show on the LNM
Conger eels don't grow to 19 feet as far as we know and they cannot live in fresh water. If the monster exists it is probably a gigantic, mutant strain of the common eel. Interestingly i've never come across the account about the collision and the strips of skin being caught in the boat propeller or the old man having a fatal heart attack on seeing Nessie.

The boat -collision-and-strip-of-skin story mentioned above is a new one on me too - but it does check out:

http://www.scotlandnow.dailyrecord.co.uk/lifestyle/loch-ness-monster-unsolved-mysteries-5008548

Some of the imortant details are somewhat vague - even the year is not fully certain and the deceased man is not named - and it's an account told in retrospect - and by a Nessie believer who thinks he has seen Nessie before at that! So interesting, but to be taken with a cup of brine, I'd say.

The boat -collision-and-strip-of-skin story mentioned above is a new one on me too - but it does check out:

http://www.scotlandnow.dailyrecord.co.uk/lifestyle/loch-ness-monster-unsolved-mysteries-5008548

Some of the imortant details are somewhat vague - even the year is not fully certain and the deceased man is not named - and it's an account told in retrospect - and by a Nessie believer who thinks he has seen Nessie before at that! So interesting, but to be taken with a cup of brine, I'd say.

The infographics show has made howling mistakes in previous episodes. And for some reason they think we have fire hydrants in the UK and our police dress like American cops.

Yes, but I'm thinking that's not enough to give the appearance of a 'Loch Ness monster'.

Not habitually but i think these long necked reports are reffering to something else, maybe an occational visitor from the open sea. I don't think that they are prehistoric reptiles in the Loch,

Did battle with one about 4/5 ft on the slipway once like fighting a wire rope don’t fancy my chances with a 19 footer.
A youngster caught it and had one of those "never mind how I caught it help me through it back moments"
which we did with some difficulty.

:mattack:

Last edited:
Inadvertently came across this article and wondered if it might be of interest. You will need to zoom in...

Screenshot_20191214_091111.jpg

SOURCE:

It is taken from the Milwaukee (Wisconsin) Journal of May 7th 1937.

http://lochnessmystery.blogspot.com/2013_03_24_archive.html

Last edited by a moderator:
UNEXPLAINED sightings of something mysterious lurking in Loch Ness were at the highest level this century during 2019.

A total of 18 sightings were recorded on the Official Loch Ness Monster Sightings Register – the highest since 1983.

They ranged from eyewitness accounts by visitors to the area to unusual objects spotted by people on the other side of the world scouring images on a live webcam of the loch.

https://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/news/monster-level-of-nessie-sightings-189397/

Back