• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Get That Cat Out

the_flycatcher

Fresh Blood
This weird experience occurred back in the 80's.

I'd bought a small terraced house in Greenhithe (near Dartford) - probably around 100 years old - with my ex-wife, and after decorating the entire house (with a lot of help from her dad) we moved in immediately after the wedding. Within a few weeks we acquired a cat, not my choice but.... Anyway as it was a kitten it got "spooked" easily and would often get its hackles up for no apparent reason. I thought nothing of that though.

One night, in the early hours, I was woken up by my ex speaking aloud. Weirdly she seemed to be speaking in the voice of an old man. She said loudly and clearly "Get that fu*king cat out of here" although she was actually laying down, asleep. I woke her and she denied saying anything and was as confused as I was.

We moved out after a year or so and the house is still there although many of the other houses were demolished during the building of the Dartford Bridge. It still makes me shudder to recall that night. It came out of the blue and was just like a horror film.

Er, after you moved, did the cat experience fewer raised hackles episodes?

I assume your wife didn't and doesn't normally sleep talk.
Otherwise, I'd figure she was just dreaming and couldn't articulate very well with a sleepy mouth and throat, so sounded like an old man.

And the cat? was the cat calmer after the move?
hqdefault - fluff only.jpg

For about 5 years in the mid 90s I lived with my girlfriend at a couple of places and very occasionally she would have these nightmares where she would wake herself up screaming her head off. The experience was not connected to any one property (I think we lived at 3 places plus her student digs when we met).

The most vivid and memorable one was when she screamed "get him away from me" and sat bolt upright in bed cowering up against the headboard, staring at the corner of the room. She had woke up by then (and probably woke the neighbours up too!) and told me there was an evil looking man in a wheelchair in that corner of the room. Obviously there wasn't but when she awoke from these nightmares it took a while to calm her down.

As I said, these 'mares didn't happen very often and I don't recall them ever being the same. She could always tell me what happened too and I think it always took place in the place she was sleeping.

The other thing relating to this thread was the cat. The cat was an indoor cat as our final home together was a flat above a shop. The cat would mooch about the flat at night and saunter into the bedroom. Sometimes I'd be awake and hear it coming so took precautions, other times I'd be asleep and be abruptly awaken by the bloody cat pouncing onto my bare feet sticking out the duvet!
Add to that the Royal Mail vans arriving at 4.30am behind our flat, I'm surprised I got any sleep at all!

The OP wrote that he and his wife didn't notice anything out of the ordinary, but their cat, a kitten, got fuzzed up as if alarmed.
The only weird and freaky experience the humans had was when the OP heard loud and clear, a croaky voice like a man's that said "Get that fu*king cat out of here."

So, three questions to resolve:
Did the OP actually see his wife's mouth move?
If yes, is it possible that his wife was dreaming and sleep talking, and that she sounded like a croaky old man because her lips, tongue and throat were semi-paralyzed with sleep?
Did the cat calm down once they moved out the place as if what had bothered it had been left behind?
if yes, maybe there WAS a croaky old cat-hating man ghost; if no, maybe the cat when a kitten was just easily alarmed, and just had to grow out of its kitteny overreactions.

Last edited by a moderator:
If we all knew exactly what occurred on such occasions this forum would not exist. All I would add is that it scared the shit our of me and that was not a normal voice and the cat was definitely mentioned. I cant explain it so I doubt if anyone else can either, even though I was there

I wake up shouting in the night if I'm having a crazy dream. My wife had told me about it but I didn't realise how loud I was until I woke myself up recently. I was screaming 'Get off me!' I have no recollection of the dream.

I once heard a roommate shout herself awake in her room with the door closed. (She was having a nightmare.) On another occasion, a friend who was staying in the living room was chatting and laughing in her sleep.
Mind you, their voices didn't sound different than they did when they were awake, so it wasn't creepy.

Back