• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Evening Dick, the KEB building was still owned by Royal Mail when I worked there, transferred from the Mount then back again a few years after. The sighting of the monk was on the second floor,if I remember. Bit spooky about the bloke getting on at St Pauls, I would've got out like a shot if I could.

Sorry, I should have said a black mass was sighted in the games room, not a black monk.

The guy who saw the mass quite understandably abandoned his game of snooker and legged it out of there – apparently he was genuinely gutted, as he said he was on a 67 break at the time, LOL.

Back on topic. The most frightening experience I had on the tube wasn’t fortean.

It was a Sunday around 5pm on the central line. This would have been in the early 90’s and London not being the overpopulated monster it is these days, It was very quiet, in fact I was the only passenger on the carriage as I travelled west.

At St Pauls, a guy got on the carriage, who was literally covered from head to toe in dried blood and I do mean literally. It was all over him, his hair, his face, all over his clothes, over his hands etc.

He had a very aggressive look on his face and he came and sat opposite and stared intensely at me, for obvious reasons I didn’t want to stare back at him, so I just stared at the floor and prayed the tube didn’t get delayed in one of the tunnels.

Eventually I went and stood by the connecting carriage doors – I thought that if he got up and came at me with a kitchen knife, then at least I’ve got an escape route.

Thankfully, he got off at the next stop.

I dread to think what he’d been up to.
Sherlock Holmes:
Well that was tedious.
John Watson:
You went on the Tube like that?
Sherlock Holmes:
None of the cabs would take me..’
AE914653-3735-4745-A31C-F89317CCCF00.jpeg

I seem to recall an account of some woman who was murdered on a train before it came into the station. Passengers boarded and discovered the body horribly cut up in what must have been a frenzied attack. I think that was in the early 90s. At the time, it was a real mystery as nobody had seen the killer, who would have been covered in blood. Maybe you saw the killer?

Myth
Have you any details on this. Was it a tube train in central London that this lady was killed?
My incident happened around February 1993.

I’d hate to think this blood stained man had just committed murder.

Afterwards when the guy got off and I’d calmed down a bit I reckoned that he had just came from Smithfield meat market which is only a 10 Minuite walk from St. Paul’s - although in saying that, I had quite a few mates who worked at Smithfield and I never ever knew them to work on a Sunday evening.

He
Evening Dick, the KEB building was still owned by Royal Mail when I worked there, transferred from the Mount then back again a few years after. The sighting of the monk was on the second floor,if I remember. Bit spooky about the bloke getting on at St Pauls, I would've got out like a shot if I could.

Hello cranky.

What was working at the mount like?

Wasent it built on the notorious cold bath fields detention centre- another grim old London nick

Myth
Have you any details on this. Was it a tube train in central London that this lady was killed?
My incident happened around February 1993.

I’d hate to think this blood stained man had just committed murder.

Afterwards when the guy got off and I’d calmed down a bit I reckoned that he had just came from Smithfield meat market which is only a 10 Minuite walk from St. Paul’s - although in saying that, I had quite a few mates who worked at Smithfield and I never ever knew them to work on a Sunday evening.
Sorry, I was wrong - it was 1988. I found this link:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-21875096
They never caught the killer.

Robert Napper comes to mind

Okay I’ve just googled Robert Napper, and I am in no way saying that the blood stained guy on the tube that evening was him ( and it was a long time ago of course) but from what I remember about the guy there is a definite likeness. Fuck - that’s given me the chills

Morning Dick, working at the Mount was ok and I did manage to visit the Post Office Railway a few times when we had a first aid training course and when I accidentally dropped the wrong bag down the chute( long story). Left 14 years ago but still see a mate who works there now. Yes, I believe it was the site of Cold Baths prison.

Are you serious? It could be in relation to an unsolved case.

Okay I’ve just googled Robert Napper, and I am in no way saying that the blood stained guy on the tube that evening was him ( and it was a long time ago of course) but from what I remember about the guy there is a definite likeness. Fuck - that’s given me the chills

What did they say when you went to them when it happened?

It's funny how easy it is to let someone know that there's a suspicious activity or person nearby when the circumstances aren't so extreme, but when it seems as crazy horrible as a person covered head to foot with blood, you're less likely to mention it. It would be interesting to research the psychology of that (not that I will). I lived in a densely populated city for many years. I never saw anything nearly that extreme, but the more urgent and dangerous an odd situation seemed, the more effort and second guessing myself it took to alert the police. I guess it's your mind trying to protect you from panicking, plus the fact that there are a lot of weird things you see in cities that have reasonable explanations if you only knew the context.

It's funny how easy it is to let someone know that there's a suspicious activity or person nearby when the circumstances aren't so extreme, but when it seems as crazy horrible as a person covered head to foot with blood, you're less likely to mention it. It would be interesting to research the psychology of that (not that I will). I lived in a densely populated city for many years. I never saw anything nearly that extreme, but the more urgent and dangerous an odd situation seemed, the more effort and second guessing myself it took to alert the police. I guess it's your mind trying to protect you from panicking, plus the fact that there are a lot of weird things you see in cities that have reasonable explanations if you only knew the context.

I think you're spot on there. It also makes me partially remember that ancient piece of research that said if someone shouted FIRE then people would help but not so much if someone shouted RAPE. It suggests that very same reluctance to believe what is happening. I also wonder how that fits in with other anomalous events...

"A French passenger revealed she heard screaming onboard the train after it left Brixton in south London."
Gee, when I hear someone screaming on a train, I usually report it to someone in charge, but then, I'm a little weird.

I felt the same way when I read this report on the news story.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wo...ller-decapitated-man-then-ate-his-organs.html

I will never understand why no one on that bus thought to jump this guy and help poor Tim. They could have all got involved and stopped this but, they all panicked and ran off the bus. :(

I felt the same way when I read this report on the news story.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wo...ller-decapitated-man-then-ate-his-organs.html

I will never understand why no one on that bus thought to jump this guy and help poor Tim. They could have all got involved and stopped this but, they all panicked and ran off the bus. :(
People do tend to keep away from the crazy. To avoid a random cut from a wildly slashing nutter. So, running away is the best option.

I does seem like if enough people respond fast enough, tragedy would be averted. Two people stepped in to protect a woman being threatened on a Portland, Oregon light rail train a couple of years ago, and ended up dead. If more people had tried to tackle the crazy guy who caused the conflict, maybe the guys who stepped in would have lived. I suppose there might not have been enough space for more people to engage, or maybe everything happened in just a couple of seconds, too fast for people to realize it had become a fatal encounter.
Decapitating a person and dining on what was left, though, that would take a bit longer . . . It's difficult to understand how that act was completed.

Way back at the start of this thread panster23 (staticgirl's ex) posted about his experience at King's Cross tube station:

We had got off the train and taken one of the tunnels and where in good spirits(no pun intended). Within minutes of entering the tunnel my head began to swim, kinda disorientated I clearly heard screams of many people to the point that I felt panicked. I saw horrid images of burnt people running in directions, an image a youngish woman standing and screaming will never leave me, when I think back to the time.

That sounds like the "screaming woman" who's associated with the King's Cross fire of 1987. From the Daily Heil (sorry) here

Who or what: A cosmopolitan young woman with long brown hair wearing modern clothing is said to walk the corridors of one of London's busiest stations.

The lady is said to scream loudly with arms outstretched – but when people come to her aid, she disappears into thin air

When: The first sighting of this frightening apparition was in 1988, when a commuter saw a woman appearing distressed and walked over to comfort her – only to pass right through her when he reached her.There have been many similar sightings since, all at the same spot.

Possible explanation: The infamous Kings Cross fire of 1987 is believed to be the cause of these supernatural incidents, with many people suggesting she may have been one of the victims of the tragedy.

If the similarity between the King's Cross apparition and Panster's experience has already been noticed by everyone here; I apologize.

This ghost/spirit/call-it-what-you-will has always made me uncomfortable; usually ghosts are associated with long passed events. This one though is of someone who sounds like she may have been much my age at the time of her death (I was twenty at the time of the fire), and it's likely that her parents, siblings, etc. are still alive. It may even be possible to put a name to her based on the description and the list of those who died.

However, to try to do so just feels morbidly tasteless and inappropriate.

Way back at the start of this thread panster23 (staticgirl's ex) posted about his experience at King's Cross tube station:

That sounds like the "screaming woman" who's associated with the King's Cross fire of 1987. From the Daily Heil (sorry) here

If the similarity between the King's Cross apparition and Panster's experience has already been noticed by everyone here; I apologize.

This ghost/spirit/call-it-what-you-will has always made me uncomfortable; usually ghosts are associated with long passed events. This one though is of someone who sounds like she may have been much my age at the time of her death (I was twenty at the time of the fire), and it's likely that her parents, siblings, etc. are still alive. It may even be possible to put a name to her based on the description and the list of those who died.

However, to try to do so just feels morbidly tasteless and inappropriate.
I'm not sure he still reads FT but I shall mention it next time we have a natter!

The 1987 Kings fire victim was also mentioned on The Londonist's website - as well as Boudicca supposedly haunting the station.

Back