• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Know Any Haunted Dolls?

Saw a collection of dolls from around the world in the Pitt Rivers Museum today and I assume they were made for children because there was a separate display for dolls and puppets. Not a fan of dolls or doll-houses but I'm not saying they were haunted, more like haunting - loved and lost by children generations ago.

View attachment 20641
The Pitt Rivers is probably my favourite museum ever.

If you like seeing old toys in a much less creepy setting, the V&A museum of childhood in bethnal green is highly recommended.

Not about a haunted doll, not even about a haunting, but we finally understood a creepy wooden person in-joke in a 50's "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" TV half-hour. The TV show involves a ventriloquist named "Collodi," and everyone in this episode comes to a sad end. We've seen the ep tens of times and only last week I learned that the author of Pinocchio's name is Carlo Collodi. Nobody gets to become a real boy in the TV play. Certainly not this guy:

Attachments

• glass-eye.jpg
    glass-eye.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 8
Just the head,perhaps in search of a body? I had two ventriloquist dolls when young, one was a Frankenstein's monster, the other was the well known Mr Palanchin, who was a creepy looking thing now that I look back. No winder people get freaked out by them.

Creepy 'haunted' doll filmed moving on its own...

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/331383/creepy-haunted-doll-filmed-moving-on-its-own
And that's enough of that vid. And I mean the first second!:oops:

Whole museums of these things (not necessarily haunted, but definitely creepy). Who thought this was a great idea?

Museum Looks to Crown 'Creepiest Doll'
creepydoll.jpg

The dolls in the History Center of Olmsted County's collection have been let out for Halloween and these miniature terrors are vying to be named creepiest doll in Olmsted County.

For the last week, the History Center has been posting pictures and videos on social media of its most unsettling dolls, seeking votes on which one is the most nightmarish.

The winner and runner-up will be on display over Halloween.

"The doll I disdain handling is the one with human hair,” said curator Dan Nowakowski as he holds up a doll from the 1800s with an impressive braid and a dead-eye stare.
https://www.mprnews.org/story/2019/10/23/whos-the-creepiest-of-them-all

I refer the Honourab;e Member to post #69 above!

My husband doesn't like my 1950s Kewpie doll, which has a face rather like the one pictured above. When I first bought my antique doll collection to our house, I had to put the Kewpie doll somewhere less visible. My sister never liked my Victorian wooden doll either.

My husband doesn't like my 1950s Kewpie doll, which has a face rather like the one pictured above. When I first bought my antique doll collection to our house, I had to put the Kewpie doll somewhere less visible. My sister never liked my Victorian wooden doll either.
Kewpie dolls generally look quite cute, whereas that thing in the picture above looks... weird.
I'm wondering if it's a cheap far Eastern knock-off that was made to look Kewpie-like?

The museum of childhood in Edinburgh has a massive collection of dolls most of which are terrifying. One of them is a bone wrapped in a piece of cloth!

"Children of royalty and wealth had many fine dolls; poor children had few. A poor child might have only had a doll made from a soup bone wrapped in a rag." Days of Knights and Damsels: An Activity Guide by Laurie Carlson.
I guess the best judge of whether a doll is terrifying is its owner - and children are capable of expending a great deal of affection on the unlikeliest of objects.

Come to think of it, we have a doll that came from one of our shops (it was a second hand store when we bought it) that is an Indian woman dressed in a sari/saree. It's on a stand and at times we were certain some mornings that it was in a slightly different position than it was the previous day. If I have a moment tomorrow, I'll have a look for it a take a picture or two. It's not particularly creepy, but it's not attractive in any way either.

Come to think of it, we have a doll that came from one of our shops (it was a second hand store when we bought it) that is an Indian woman dressed in a sari/saree. It's on a stand and at times we were certain some mornings that it was in a slightly different position than it was the previous day. If I have a moment tomorrow, I'll have a look for it a take a picture or two. It's not particularly creepy, but it's not attractive in any way either.

Here are the pics. She was for sale for $22. Instead of throwing her out or giving her away, I took her home. I found her in our library, tucked away in a corner.
doll1.jpg

doll2.jpg

Gigantic blackhead on her nose.
I'm guessing that is a nose piercing?

Another haunted doll. It comes back to their former owners house after being thrown out, every time!
-------------------
'Haunted' Elsa Doll Won't Let Go of Family -- Keeps Returning After Being Thrown Out

NewsBy TooFab Staff | January 14, 2020 1:26 PM

haunted-elsa-main-fb-810x610.jpg

The "Frozen" doll speaks in two languages, hasn't had its battery changed in 6 years, and operates while switched off.
A family in Texas can't seem to let go of a "haunted" Elsa doll from the movie "Frozen."
The toy was given as a Christmas present to Emily Madonia's daughter in 2013 and has terrified the family since with its ability to speak both English and Spanish, operate when turned off, and even find its way back home when thrown out, according to a report by click2Houston.com.
"For two years it did that in English," Emily told the publication referring to the doll singing "Let It Go" after a button on the necklace is pushed. "In 2015, it started doing it alternating between Spanish and English. There wasn't a button that changed these, it was just random."

Adding to the creep element was the fact that the family had not changed the battery since they owned it, and it would "randomly begin to speak and sing" even when it was switched off, reported the outlet.
Understandably, the family was unnerved enough to toss the Disney princess in the garbage, only to have it return weeks later inside their home.
"The kids insisted they didn't put it there, and I believed them because they wouldn't have dug through the garbage outside," Emily explained.

More at https://toofab.com/2020/01/14/haunt...amily-keeps-returning-after-being-thrown-out/

It was a new doll when their daughter bought it in 2013, so does it contain the soul of a sweatshop kid who died in the factory while working on the doll or something?
No wonder people scream fake, but I hope it can be checked out by paranormal investigators.

Will it work with the battery removed?

If Elsa finds her own way from Vegas to the house of the original owner, then I'll be convinced.
Sounds like Mr. Bagans hasn't collected her yet, though.

A haunted mannequin head, if you will...

head.jpg

Woman Buys Item From Carouseller; Gets Free Wig, Mannequin Head And A Ghost
Admit it: we love shopping on marketplace app Carousell because we can usually get some cheap deals

Why would you pay full price for an item when you can buy it off a fellow shopper, right?

Of course, we've heard some horror stories when it comes to buying stuff off a marketplace: people running away with your money, items don't match its pictures, the seller taking one whole year to send your item; those sort of things.

For this one Singaporean shopper, however, she got more than she bargained for.
https://www.rojakdaily.com/lifestyl...ller-gets-free-wig-mannequin-head-and-a-ghost

I can see why this one was disposed of!

'Cursed' Doll Found in Mexican River
Residents of a town in Mexico were left unsettled when a creepy-looking doll suspected of being cursed was pulled from a river. The eerie object was reportedly found last month in the community of San Antonio La Esperanza. Since it had been tightly wrapped in a blanket that was secured with a rope, the life-size doll was initially suspected to be a dead body. When it was subsequently unwrapped, however, the true nature of the object was revealed.
https://www.coasttocoastam.com/article/cursed-doll-found-in-mexican-river

Back