• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Martial Arts Nonsense

You will sidestep 99.9% of potentially violent situations, and save the cost of those embarrassing canvas pyjamas seemingly obligatory in all Japanese fights. maximus otter
For what it's worth, the canvas pyjamas are actually made out of cotton, are called a "gi", and come from Okinawa, where they were robust farmer's clothes. In China, there were no kung fu uniforms, and they just used ordinary cheongsams.

For what it's worth, the canvas pyjamas are actually made out of cotton, are called a "gi", and come from Okinawa, where they were robust farmer's clothes. In China, there were no kung fu uniforms, and they just used ordinary cheongsams.
In Hong Kong Kung Fu teams wear fairly gaudy shiny multicolour outfits, nothing like the simplicity of Japanese or Korean martial arts suits. Or they may wear sports clothing. There is no official uniform as such.

performances-of-chinese-kung-fu-hong-kong-police-band-gold-dragon-and-picture-id1125005006

I studied martial arts for some years in my youth (Wing Chun & a little Goju Ryu Karate). Whilst all martial arts have aspects useful in a real fight, in my opinion few compare to Western boxing when it comes to practicality.
If you can't walk away or talk yourself out of a situation, hit first and hit hard.
Muay Thai is good if you have the speed and agility though more modern combat arts such as Krav Maga and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu I belive reign supreme in all round tactics (striking, groundwork, submissions) and savagery.
If your opponent has studied one of these, run, don't walk and whatever you do, don't take your eyes off them.

I've a mate who is an ex-marine and he reckons boxing and judo are a pretty good combination. Boxing for punching - and being able to take a punch (very important), speed and footwork. Judo for throws, holds, grappling, break-falls (very important), strength and stamina.

My mate said that one of the great advantages of a martial art like Judo or Ju-Jitsu is surprise. The average idiot who is going to attack will be expecting minimal resistance - otherwise, they wouldn't be attacking a total stranger - and the last thing they expect is to be thrown plus the chances of them being trained to fall properly are pretty slim.
As Kev said about Judo "In karate, you hit them with your hands and feet. In judo, you hit the buggers with a whole planet!"

A few years ago walking home from work I heard some shouting from a side path ahead of me (it was summer). Soon a bloke and a female appeared, with a bloke with no shirt on and blood on him. The female grabbed my shopping bag (with nothing of great value in it). I asked wearily for the bag back and the shirtless bloke said "Walk away while you have the chance."

A quick mental assessment and instinct told me to leave the bag and carry on home. He was on drugs by my reckoning and my instinct told me that he was genuinely dangerous.

On getting home I phoned the police because I was concerned for other people. About half an hour later two police officer appeared at my door and asked me to go to court over it. Their stay with me was interrupted when they knew his location and were going to arrest him.

When they got back to me, they said that he had broken an officers arm in the arrest and that it took four officers to arrest him. He was due in court for a string of violent offences and me going to court would add to the weight of evidence.

And you want me to face him in court over a carton of milk and a bag of crisps? It may have been cowardly not to go to court, but I'm afraid that self-preservation kicked in.

Which is the one where you kick them in the bollocks and run away?

I once saw Mark Dacascos doing his capoeira in a martial arts movie, and that looked like a very effective way for him to get kicked in the bollocks himself.

That was spectacularly bad. I am a bit confused by their use of the word fake though. Are they saying all martial arts (except MMA) are or just certain masters?

That was spectacularly bad. I am a bit confused by their use of the word fake though. Are they saying all martial arts (except MMA) are or just certain masters?
It seems that every traditional master who has challenged an MMA fighter has done pretty badly. One of the ones who lost to xu xiaodong recently challenged another, physically much smaller and lighter MMA fighter, and lost badly again.

Back