• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Day Of The Humans: Tales Of Beast Vs Man (And Man Prevails...)

punychicken

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Man falls to his death: dog arrested

Story here.

Police in the Taiwanese county of Ilan arrested a dog on Sunday in connection with the death of an 85-year-old man, who died after falling off a hospital bed recently.

The man, identified only as Lin, was treated for a bite wound on his right leg at a hospital in Ilan before his fall.

"He was attacked by the dog when he passed by a betel nut vendor in January and was left with a six centimetre cut caused by the bite," a police officer said.

"The family of the old man claimed that were it not for the dog bite, Lin would not have checked into the hospital and would never have fallen from the hospital bed," the officer said.

The family holds the dog's owner liable for the tragedy and demanded compensation, the officer said. But the owner claimed the dog was a stray which he took pity on and fed with leftovers.

The officer said they finally decided to arrest the dog pending further investigations before deciding what to do with it.

how advanced of them...odd how u can have a hi tech hive of industry and still arest dogs ah!

Teen successfully fights off bear

On Alaska expedition for troubled youths

Tuesday, April 27, 2004 Posted: 1212 GMT (2012 HKT)

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) -- A 15-year-old boy on a wilderness expedition for emotionally troubled youths woke up to find a 400-pound brown bear with a bad attitude sitting at his feet.

After trying unsuccessfully to back out of the tent, the boy was bitten in the forearm and decided to fight back, punching the bear with his left hand a half-dozen times, Alaska State Trooper Adam Benson said Monday.

When the teenager tried to run, the bear bit him again below his ribs, this time leaving a half-dozen puncture wounds on his back, Benson said.

The boy punched the bear again, and again she let him go, but chased him around a nearby stand of trees.

He eventually remembered an air horn in his gear, and blew it in the bear's muzzle, waking others in the camp, said Steve Prysunka, director of the six-week "Crossing Wilderness Expeditions for Youth" program.

Prysunka asked that the boy not be identified.

The bear finally turned and ran away after counselors blasted her with pepper spray and fired a flare at her feet, Prysunka said.

Later Saturday, following the morning attack, officials found the bear in the campsite area on Deer Island in southeast Alaska and killed her.

The boy was flown out to a hospital, where he was treated, then sent home to Barrow to give his wounds time to heal, Prysunka said.

"I think he is the biggest, baddest thing in the woods. He punched the bear," Prysunka said.

http://edition.cnn.com/2004/US/West/04/27/bear.mauling.ap/index.html

Rafah zoo levelled in Israel raid
By Alan Johnston
BBC correspondent in Gaza
Among the casualties of the Israeli raid into the Rafah refugee camp has been the local zoo - the only one in the Gaza Strip.
The Israeli army probably took about 10 minutes to turn it into a wasteland, with tanks churning the whole area into an expanse of mud and twisted metal.

There were ostriches, kangaroos and crocodiles, but the zoo's pride was its jaguar - he is missing now.

An ostrich is rotting in the rubble and its stench hangs over the ruins.

'Zoo for deprived'

Mohamed Jumaa and his brother, Fateh, spent more than 10 years building Rafah zoo.

The Jumaa brothers say that their zoo was important, it was somewhere for children to go in what is the most deprived corner of the Gaza Strip.

Kids came in their hundreds, and they loved it.

One of the kangaroos was hurt when the tanks came but survived, and the other is on the loose somewhere in Rafah.

So are all the monkeys and one of the pythons.

The fox got away, but when he turned up in a private house the frightened owner attacked him with a saw - later, the vet had to amputate a leg.

When the aviary was smashed, the parrots, cockatiels and lovebirds took flight.

Far up the Gaza Strip, people say they've been hearing strange birdsong.

The army insists that it had to send its tanks through the zoo because Palestinian fighters had booby-trapped the road beside it. ...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/3748011.stm

Last edited by a moderator:
Florida Man Survives Alligator Attack

Florida Man Survives Alligator Attack by Punching Beast in the Nose; Treated for Leg Wounds

The Associated Press

TAVARES, Fla. July 28, 2004 — An 11-foot alligator attacked a man pulling weeds along the shore of a lake, but he saved himself by punching the beast in the nose.

Guy R. Daelemans, 43, suffered leg wounds in Tuesday's attack on Lake Eustis, Lake County sheriff's Lt. Todd Luce said. He was treated and released from a hospital.

A trapper summoned by wildlife officials later caught the 385-pound alligator, which was then killed.

Last week, a 54-year-old landscaper died of an infection, two days after a 12-foot alligator dragged her into a pond and nearly tore off her right arm as she worked behind a home on Sanibel Island.

That alligator was also trapped and killed.

http://abcnews.go.com/wire/US/ap20040728_1000.html

Monster fish killed after terrorising swimmers at Swiss lake - and served for dinner
Police divers have harpooned a huge fish that had been terrorising swimmers in a Swiss lake, sending a few to hospital with bite wounds.
Published: 6:05PM BST 13 Jul 2009

The perch, which was two feet three inches long and weighed 17.5 pounds, was speared on Sunday at Lac Majeur after it bit six swimmers over the weekend, Fabio Croci, a fish warden, told local media.

Two swimmers were treated in hospital for bite wounds up to four inches long after being attacked at the lake, which borders Italy, he added.

Police divers at first tried to capture the carnivorous fish with a net, but when this failed, they pursued the zander with a harpoon and managed to kill it.

The meat from the captured fish was later served up to tourists at the lake.

"It is quite unusual for perch to bite humans", Mr Croci said.

He added that he suspected the fish was suffering from a hormonal imbalance which could be responsible for its aggression.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... inner.html

Zambia's peeing monkeys evicted
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8231736.stm

The monkey urinated on President Rupiah Banda in June

Zambia's president has taken revenge after a monkey urinated on him during a press conference, by evicting a group of some 200 primates from State House.

President Rupiah Banda has asked for the animals to be relocated to parkland outside the capital Lusaka.

About 61 monkeys have already been moved to the Munda Wanga Botanical Gardens land, an official said.

At the time, President Banda made light of the incident and suggested he would give it to the opposition leader.

He also suggested that it might bring him good luck.

"The president recently requested to the Munda Wanga Botanic Trust to remove and relocate some of the monkeys, and so far 61 monkeys have been humanely captured and translocated to the gardens," said director Bill Thomas, reports the AFP news agency.

There are also many species of antelope and bird in the State House grounds, according to Reuters news agency.

Farewell to Lionel the lobster blown up by the Royal Navy (but at least he didn't get boiled alive)
By Daily Mail Reporter

He had been squatting inside an unexploded mine which had remained undisturbed for the past 60 years.

But the lobster nicknamed Lionel paid the ultimate price when Royal Navy divers failed to coax the stubborn crustacean out of his home - which tragically became his watery grave.

After the divers stumbled upon the 600lb mine off Swanage, Dorset, they took pictures of it and alerted Portland coastguard, who contacted the Royal Navy bomb disposal unit.
The experts inspected the device and found Lionel inside.

He refused to be temped out of his make-shift house and delivered a nasty nip to the frogmen.
The bomb squad had no choice but to set charges to the mine with Lionel still inside and, after setting up a 1,000m cordon, blew it up.

The huge explosion sent a 50ft plume of water shooting skywards and shook the nearby town of Swanage.

Lionel the lobster sadly did not survive.

A spokesman for Portland coastguard said: 'It seems that the lobster made his home inside the mine, in the hole where the parachute would have come out.
'We don't know how long he was living in it but we named him Lionel as soon as we realised he was there.

'It is a Second World War mine, which was dropped by the Germans and has lain there unseen for over 60 years.

'Overnight, we arranged for the bomb disposal unit to come and look at it. When they saw what it was, they cleared a 1,000m zone around and detonated it.

'It sent up a huge jet of water - it did look very dramatic. We received three 999 calls from people worried about it.

'Unfortunately, the bomb disposal unit have a job to do and it wasn't possible to save Lionel.

'We've had a moment's silence for him though, because he was no doubt blown to smithereens in the explosion.'

Fiona Smith, a crustacean expert at the Sealife centre in Weymouth, said: "Lobsters like to make their homes in crevices and rocky areas.

'When they've made a little cave for themselves they are quite territorial and won't let anything else near them.

'Animals will colonise anything they find on the seabed and its not at all surprising that a lobster would live in a mine like this.

'Obviously no other creature was brave enough to go near it because they do get a bit aggressive.

'In this case, if something or someone appeared in front of Lionel's home, his pincers would be up immediately to defend it.

'He would be trying to protect his area and himself against people he probably thought we trying to eat him.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z0TQc9wgMw

Plan to take dog, cat meat off menus
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/wor ... 36101.html

CLIFFORD COONAN in Beijing

Sat, Jan 30, 2010

A CHINESE government proposal to take cat and dog off the menu around the country has prompted an angry outcry from regions where the meat is popular, saying it would destroy local culinary traditions.

As it stands, there are no laws banning animal cruelty or killing animals for food in China, a country in which famine is still in many people’s living memory and which is less sentimental than the West when it comes to how our fellow creatures are treated.

One of the more alarming sights for a fledgling Western visitor to China can be seeing dogs and cats in cages in the wet markets of Guangdong province.

People have been eating dog meat in China for thousands of years. The meat is considered by some to have medicinal properties and in the northeast, people believe it helps keep the body warm during the freezing winter months. It is particularly popular with Korean minorities near the North Korean border.

Cat is less commonly eaten, but parts of the animal are used in some dishes.

Both dog and cat meat are especially popular in parts of China such as Guangdong, where the joke runs that the Cantonese eat anything on four legs, or with its back to the sky, except a table.

A popular Cantonese dish is called longhudou, or “dragon duels with tiger,” with the name deriving from snake and cat meat, although usually civet cats or wild cats were used rather than household moggies.

The consumption of the civet cat was banned in the wake of the Sars epidemic in 2002, when the animal was linked to the spread of the illness.

The draft laws were proposed by the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences after campaigns against animal cruelty.

Chang Jiwen, who is director of the social law research department at the academy, said his team would gather expert and scholarly opinion before making its proposal.

During the Olympics in 2008, the consumption of dog meat was banned, but as soon as you reached the city limits, there were signs for restaurants offering dog meat for those missing their diet of man’s best friend. The current proposal has met similar defiance.

The manager of the Caiji Dog Meat Restaurant in the southern city of Guangzhou told the Global Times newspaper: “The proposed law is totally infeasible here, because eating dogs and cats has been part of the Guangdong culture for so long.

“I don’t believe the draft could be passed, nor would I change the way we operate our restaurant,” he added.

A Beijing resident, Du Quanbin, argued: “If we should ban eating dogs, why not ban eating pork and beef? Securing the lives of many poor people now is much more important and urgent.”

Doesn't surprise me. China isn't known for caring about the life or welfare of anyone or anything, including human beings.

ramonmercado said:
Plan to take dog, cat meat off menus
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/wor ... 36101.html

A CHINESE government proposal to take cat and dog off the menu around the country has prompted an angry outcry from regions where the meat is popular, saying it would destroy local culinary traditions.

As it stands, there are no laws banning animal cruelty or killing animals for food in China, a country in which famine is still in many people’s living memory and which is less sentimental than the West when it comes to how our fellow creatures are treated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kid with the heart of a tiger.

Boy, 9, fights off 400lb alligator and miraculously emerges with minor injuries

The Florida child had been riding his bike with friends when he entered restricted waters in a part of Lake Tohopekaliga

A heroic nine-year-old boy will have the best playground story when he returns to school this year, having fought off a 400-pound alligator.

The incident happened at lunchtime on Thursday when James Barney Jr had been riding his bike with friends before deciding to swim in a restricted area of Lake Tohopekaliga in Florida.

Scroll down to see video

He sustained 30 marks from the nine-foot creature’s claws and teeth, all of which were non-life-threatening, and he underwent surgery for his wounds to be “cleaned up, stapled and stitched”, his father James said.

Speaking from Florida's Arnold Palmer hospital, the boy told reporters how he didn’t initially realise what was happening as the reptile approached him.

“It really amazed me what happened,” James said, according to Sky News.

“At first I thought someone was just playing with me and I didn't know what happened.”

His quick-thinking saved him: “I reached down to go grab it and I felt its jaw - I felt its teeth and I didn't know what to do, so I immediately reacted and hit a couple of times.

“And then finally I had enough strength left to pry its jaw open a little.” ...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 59615.html

https://www.insider.com/rebecca-munkombwe-zimbabwe-girl-11-saves-friend-9-from-crocodile-2019-10

"We had just left the water when we heard Latoya who was left alone swimming near the neck deep zone screaming that something was biting her hand. Since I was the eldest among the other seven children, I felt the urge to save her," Rebecca told the outlet.

Rebecca jumped in the water, got on top of the croc, and then gouged its eyes out, which caused it to loosen its grip on Latoya.

Is there now a crocodile with no eyes swimming about aimlessly?

Hero dad strangles coyote after it attacks his toddler

A hero New Hampshire father suffocated a coyote with his bare hands after the beast attacked his child Monday, police said.

Ian O’Reilly was walking with his wife and three kids on a trail near Judes Pond in Kensington around 11 a.m. when the wild animal jumped out of the woods and grabbed the 2-year-old child by the jacket, cops said.

That’s when “the dad went into protection mode,” kicking the coyote before choking it, said Kensington Police Chief Scott Cain.

O’Reilly told local outlet WFXT that he was running on instinct and adrenaline when he wrestled the beast to the ground, eventually killing it after a 10-minute skirmish.

“There was no interest in it going away so ultimately I had to make the decision to become the aggressor and jumped on it, attacked it and was able to get it to the ground,” O’Reilly said.

“When I was able to get on top of it, I put my hand around its snout so it wasn’t able to attack me anymore,” he recalled.

“From there … I shoved [its] head into the snow … and then eventually was able to expire it through suffocation,” he said. “Ultimately one hand on its windpipe and one hand on its snout did the trick.”

Read more here: https://nypost.com/2020/01/20/hero-...dler/?utm_campaign=iosapp&utm_source=mail_app

A gardener attacked by a fox in Maine finally got free by shoving the fox into a pot used for scalding chickens ...

The precautionary rabies vaccine seems wise - the fox's reported behavior certainly sounds "insane."
A sly move: Woman wrestles attacking fox into scalding pot

A fox that was attacking a Maine woman quickly found its goose was cooked when she wrestled into a pot meant for scalding chickens.

Eliza Ruth Watson, 37, of Gray, tried to scare the fox away while she was gardening Thursday. Instead, the animal ran toward her, the Sun Journal reported.

The fox bit Watson’s hand, and she grabbed it by the neck to keep it from biting her again. After a struggle, she found a pot used to scald birds for plucking, shoved the fox in and closed the lid. She then called 911.

An ambulance took Watson to a hospital, where her cuts were cleaned and she was given the rabies vaccine as a precaution.

Game wardens later trapped the fox. Its remains are being tested for rabies.
FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/df54a2dfdeb33a9cc851723dc07bdca0

Monkey on mini bike tries to snatch a toddler.

“The 15-second video is believed to be from Indonesia. The clip shows a monkey coming in on a perfectly functional mini motor bike. The monkey then gets off the bike near a bench where people were sitting. It jumps on the bench and tries to snatch a toddler.

The toddler falls down and gets out of the grasp of the monkey. However, the monkey comes back, holds the baby's hand, and starts dragging it. Within a few seconds, the monkey grabs the baby’s hair and again starts pulling it.

After covering a little distance, the monkey leaves the baby as it sees people coming towards it. The baby then gets up and walks back to the bench.”

https://www.indiatoday.in/trending-...er-with-a-lot-of-questions-1674201-2020-05-04
maximus otter

The clip shows a monkey coming in on a perfectly functional mini motor bike . . .

One of the most surreal things I have ever seen! I can well imagine aggressive monkeys preying on small children, especially if their usual habitat or food-chain is disturbed. I can - just about - imagine an evil, paedophile clown who trains his monkey to ride a mini motor cycle and procure for him . . .

Looking again at the footage, it is obviously not from a fixed camera. It starts with some human-monkey activity or reaction at the far end of the alley and the camera is able to track the monkey all the way down. It is well-placed to capture the main action. It would be interesting to see what preceded the footage we have. I'm guessing that a semi-trained monkey reverted to aggressive mode, after several runs up and down the alley.

I doubt if the attack could have been planned and the creature certainly did not just bike-in from the jungle . . . :sherlock:

I must say that the kid gets up and walks back with great dignity, seeming to take it in her stride!

Edit: Some context from another posting of the video on Perth Now website:

"It’s not known where exactly the incident took place but performing macaques in East Java have hit headlines in the past for their “shows” as part of Topeng Monyet, a traditional street show in which monkeys are forced to dress as humans and perform stunts.

"This type of performance has been banned in other parts of the country including, infamously, in the capital city of Jakarta in 2013 — following an animal rights campaign."

Edit 2: A much more detailed account here!

"The video shows the monkey accompanied by traditional gamelan percussion music as it rides a miniature motorcycle down Gang Mawar, a narrow residential street off Jalan Tanjungsari IV in West Surabaya. The monkey stops near a wooden bench occupied by a woman holding a baby, and two young children. The primate then leaps off the bike, pulls a toddler off the bench, then snatches and drags the child down the road for several meters.

"Onlookers call out to the handler, at which point the monkey releases the child, who stands up and runs away. Local reports said the handler then beat the monkey with a gamelan mallet." :(

Last edited:
A young woman bashed an attacking bear with her laptop to effect her escape ...
A bear attacks a woman. She fights it off -- with her laptop

A Southern California teen had a rude awakening when an outdoor nap turned into a bear attack.

She survived by fighting the bear off with her only weapon -- a laptop.

The 19-year old Sierra Madre woman fell asleep in backyard chair Monday evening ...

"She awoke to the sound of a bear approaching her," Foy said. "It immediately attacked."

The bear scratched the young woman's arms and legs, but then it began to bite her leg. Her wounds were not life-threatening.

"The only weapon she had was her laptop. She hit the bear with it and stunned it long enough to escape inside the house," Foy said.

"She fought back vigorously, which is what you should do with any wildlife in California."

Local police responded to the incident, followed soon by wildlife officers. Bear tracks nearby and a glimpse of a bear around midnight provided evidence corroborating her story.

"This was an unprovoked, aggressive attack," Foy said. The woman did not have any food, and did not get between a bear and her cubs.

"It's likely she was looked at as prey," Foy speculated. ...

FULL STORY: https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/18/us/bear-attack-woman-laptop-trnd/index.html

Do I write this in the Strange Coincidences? thread, the More Vivid Dreaming During The COVID-19 Pandemic thread, the Precognitive Dreams thread or this thread? Yesterday (June 17) I woke up after having dreamed that there were grizzly bears roaming the town. Coyotes are now an urban fixture in real life, so in my dream I thought that grizzly bears were now moving into town due to habitat destruction. At first there were three grown bears just outside my window; later, there was a female with two cubs, and at the end, a full grown grizzly fell out of a pine tree. (He was not hurt--it was a dream after all.)

I like how in the article, the Fish and Wildlife officer advises us that vigorously fighting off an animal "is what you should do with any wildlife in California."** But if you're in say, Indiana, you should do what? And what about voles? Should you vigorously fight off a California vole?

**Actually, just about everyone sounds like an idiot when they're quoted in print.

Back