• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Spooked On The Job: Your Haunted Workplaces

whatever youve embedded doesnt show up for me, and links dont present (dont have tumblr account)

displays now in thread, what actually is it that falls over ?

displays now in thread, what actually is it that falls over ?

It's a cooler or ice chest - not sure what you might call them in the UK, Something you would use to keep cold drinks and food while camping.

Reading the above post back, I remember once again hearing the stories but my work in this field since posting has made the story seem even more improbable, if not impossibe. I'll have to subject my elderly mother to some tough interrogation when I see her again.

Don't be too tough on her—she is your mother, after all! :nurse:

Today a colleague told us about another depot ghost sighting.

He was coming in through the front door which has a code panel and a window, and he saw someone walk past the door towards our sign-in office.

You'd normally open the door from the inside if you saw anyone trying to get it so he sarcastically shouted 'Well thank you VERY much!'

A second later he was inside and found not a soul in the building!
We fill in a log so he wrote it all down in there.

We have been getting some more random activity here. The lights in the corridor outside the office have been turning themselves off. Just to reiterate, there is only 2 of us in the building at night. the lights are not on an auto switch off either.
Went into the canteen to warm some food last night and left the lights on when I was finished. Went back a couple of hours later and they were turned off.
This is on top of increased odd shadow movement and strange lights, like someone has taken a photo with the flash on.

Its very odd, but it never feels malevolent, just playful at the most.

We have one small (but interesting!) addition to my earlier post about my husband's shop.

Last week, he called in a former manager to help out for a couple of days so he could get some time off. He asked her if there had been any strange happenings during her time there. She reported incidents similar to his, with one notable difference.

There is a steel door in back of the shop that's always kept locked, the kind that has an alarm on it. It's also visible on the security cameras from both inside and outside the store. Well, according to the ex-manager, some nights she would hear loud banging, as if someone were frantically beating on the steel door from the outside. She would check the security cameras and go out to look herself, but no one was ever there.

Given that the store is a bit isolated (and that the door faces a particularly creepy corner of the parking lot) the idea of this is quite frightening. Needless to say OH is glad this has never happened while he was there!

One of the other ex-managers has seen some strange things happen with that door, too, such as seeing it open when it couldn't possibly have been, though as far as I know never heard the banging.

OH really loves that shop, so it's a good thing nothing really perturbing has happened to him there. :)

We have one small (but interesting!) addition to my earlier post about my husband's shop.

Last week, he called in a former manager to help out for a couple of days so he could get some time off. He asked her if there had been any strange happenings during her time there. She reported incidents similar to his, with one notable difference.

There is a steel door in back of the shop that's always kept locked, the kind that has an alarm on it. It's also visible on the security cameras from both inside and outside the store. Well, according to the ex-manager, some nights she would hear loud banging, as if someone were frantically beating on the steel door from the outside. She would check the security cameras and go out to look herself, but no one was ever there.

Given that the store is a bit isolated (and that the door faces a particularly creepy corner of the parking lot) the idea of this is quite frightening. Needless to say OH is glad this has never happened while he was there!

One of the other ex-managers has seen some strange things happen with that door, too, such as seeing it open when it couldn't possibly have been, though as far as I know never heard the banging.

OH really loves that shop, so it's a good thing nothing really perturbing has happened to him there. :)
Sorry if someone ha already asked you this question, but has anyone checked out the history of the shop or site?

Sorry if someone ha already asked you this question, but has anyone checked out the history of the shop or site?

Well, the shop was built in 1984, and I've known it for much of its existence, and so has one of the other managers (the one who saw the open door) since we both grew up nearby. We don't recall anything particularly dramatic happening there in the past, certainly no deaths or anything like that.

Previously the site had been pasture land, and if there was any use of the site by Native Americans before that, it's not recorded.

FWIW, my feeling is that most of this activity is a matter of trapped energy in an enclosed space, just sort of bouncing around for years and years. The shop is extremely busy and there must have been many thousands of people in and out of it over the years.

.. FWIW, my feeling is that most of this activity is a matter of trapped energy in an enclosed space, just sort of bouncing around for years and years ..

This will be my approach on our next invest in an enclosed space, 30 East Drive in Pontefract, using numbered and light charged glow in the dark bouncy balls as well as frozen plastic ice cubes for the thermal energy angle .. I'm still working on the smaller details of these experiments and I'll be starting a thread soon about this to take peoples suggestions on experiments at this location.

Well, the shop was built in 1984, and I've known it for much of its existence, and so has one of the other managers (the one who saw the open door) since we both grew up nearby. We don't recall anything particularly dramatic happening there in the past, certainly no deaths or anything like that.

Previously the site had been pasture land, and if there was any use of the site by Native Americans before that, it's not recorded.

FWIW, my feeling is that most of this activity is a matter of trapped energy in an enclosed space, just sort of bouncing around for years and years. The shop is extremely busy and there must have been many thousands of people in and out of it over the years.
It's a really interesting situation. I really like this kind of story which I why I joined the site in the first place.Has the activity increased/decreased over the years or has it always stayed at the same level?

I’ve mentioned before our shop is supposed to be haunted. Well the other week I saw a puddle on a box. This was our basement and it can be leaky. But this was on a lower shelf and nothing above it was wet. I felt the beams and shelf above, nothing. If there had been water and it had dried this would have dried too. Very odd.

There is supposed to be a monk in the basement. They tried to get rid of him once but everyone who went down there felt ill. This was before my time. But apparently he’s there to protect the place.

Interestingly the basement was used as an air raid shelter during WWII I wonder if Norman (what he’s been called) the monk showed up then. I always make sure I say good night to him when I close up down there at night.

Here's a somewhat interesting addition to the strange events at my husband's store -

Both he and his assistant have noticed that whenever they're in a bad mood, and only when they're in a bad mood, the ice machine starts spitting ice onto the floor. It's become so synchronized to their moods that it's become a running joke among the staff.

This reminds me of the Pauli Effect and lends some support to my theory that it's not actual ghosts causing the hullabaloo in the shop, but a mysterious phenomenon of another sort.

A brief description of the Pauli effect here:
http://ffden-2.phys.uaf.edu/211_fall2013.web.dir/kasie_baker/page4.html

This reminds me of the Pauli Effect and lends some support to my theory that it's not actual ghosts causing the hullabaloo in the shop, but a mysterious phenomenon of another sort.

In my last job, if I was stressed or fed up (car failed MOT, quarrelling with people, home appliance trouble etc) things would 'happen'.

As an example, there were nearly 40 cubicle doors which would randomly lock themselves so I'd have to go round with a cross-key to open them. This'd make me even more angry so there'd then be mysterious bangs, inaccessible electrical fans being turned off and dirty footprints appearing even as a tiled floor was being cleaned. Great fun!

I used to work in a petrol station which we found out wasn't haunted.
It wasn't a 24 hour station, and would close at 10:30pm each night. This is going back a while - probably about 2005, and over summer - and for a short while, something spooky began to happen. Every person who worked the evening shift began to get an odd feeling they were being watched from a certain corner of the shop - near the drinks fridges. It really was an unsettling experience - you'd just be aware of a 'presence' from that general area - the feeling of a figure glimpsed out of the corner of an eye. People all stated this independently of each other - and it always seemed to be the same time - about 10pm...
Turned out there was a small bulb in the fridges that had gone, and needed to be replaced. As soon as it was replaced, that unnerving feeling of being watched vanished totally. Seemed to be that the mind picked up on this 'new' patch of darkness (which wasn't really noticeable / large enough to the 'conscious' mind) and turned it into some kind of threat.
A distinctly un-haunted work location alas. I was very disappointed.

I’ve told you about some of the spooky going’s on at work on here. Well on Saturday we found out they want to tear the place down :tears:

Did those in charge indicate a reason why?

Did those in charge indicate a reason why?

Whoever bought our building wants to build flats (with a couple of retail outlets). They’re already building flats everywhere you look in our town and you could easily convert the current internal space but they are too lazy for that. They want to keep the frontage so the street looks the same. But we’ve got a co op (a department store) that they’ve done that to and it’s just been the outside sitting there on it’s own for years. I wonder if that poor building was haunted.

EDIT- The building was built in the 1850s

Last edited:
It's amazing how much building is going on everywhere and yet there are so many people who are still stuck living on the streets. :(

It's amazing how much building is going on everywhere and yet there are so many people who are still stuck living on the streets. :(

The buildings are always for the well off, the developers want to make as much money as possible. The government tell them they have to make some ‘affordable’ properties and they make as few as possible. I think one of the developments in my town they plan less than they were supposed to. Although affordable ones are only slightly less ridiculously expensive.

The thing is too that we’re not getting more schools, emergency services, GP’s and our hospital is barely coping as it is. But keep shoving up the housing to line your pockets guys!

The buildings are always for the well off, the developers want to make as much money as possible. The government tell them they have to make some ‘affordable’ properties and they make as few as possible. I think one of the developments in my town they plan less than they were supposed to. Although affordable ones are only slightly less ridiculously expensive.

The thing is too that we’re not getting more schools, emergency services, GP’s and our hospital is barely coping as it is. But keep shoving up the housing to line your pockets guys!

It's the infamous process of "gentrification": more and more housing projects advertised as a high-middle-class dream. Here in the suburbs of South Paris we are living a boom of projects like that : HUGE areas rebuilt, dozens of appartment blocks, with artificial lakes, commerce, schools, libraries... all this advertised as if it was the dream place for young couples with children, receiving their friends on terraces and going shopping on the commerce inside their artificial neighbourhood. Just across the streets, there are the good old HLM, residences of affordable rent, stabilished ther for decades. Even the big business (Siemens, Renauls, Bouygues) is migrating to the area, so the new middle class can go to work by bycicle. It's stunning.

In other hand, with all this building and renovating, not a single archeological find, not even a WWII unexploded bomb (we are in the general vicinity of a air force base, used by the germans back then)...

Back