• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Tech Help (Beyond This Forum)

I'm having similar problems with my laptop. I might give it a try with a plug-in keyboard sometime.
It could be that the keys are just wearing out.
Possibly. It is quite old. A plug in keyboard would be an easy fix at least so I hope it is that!

Anyone here have experience of Suse Linux ? (OpenSuse 11)

Somewhat, yes. It has been a while since I used OpenSuse, I use Debian these days. 11 is quite old, likely from around the time I was using it.

Somewhat, yes. It has been a while since I used OpenSuse, I use Debian these days. 11 is quite old, likely from around the time I was using it.

Thanks, I'll get back to you when I next try to get on line with the Suse machine.

I have 11 and, I think, 13. Not sure which is on the machine. At the moment it's all disconnected.

If anyone has KIS security and it has decided to not block ads on youtube anymore, personally, I think they sold out to youtube, apparently they cant do anything about it, which i find hard to believe as they had no problem for all the years i have had this and it suddenly doesn't work for the past few weeks, they suggest reinstalling chrome (did it, it did nothing) I ended up installing Adblock Plus, does a great job.

If anyone has KIS security and it has decided to not block ads on youtube anymore, personally, I think they sold out to youtube, apparently they cant do anything about it, which i find hard to believe as they had no problem for all the years i have had this and it suddenly doesn't work for the past few weeks, they suggest reinstalling chrome (did it, it did nothing) I ended up installing Adblock Plus, does a great job.

ABP has sold out as well (certain "partners" are allowed to show their ads). All the cool kids are using uBlock Origin nowadays. Nary a problem on YouTube, but I occassionally run into ads on Facebook, until uBlock updates their algorithms. I also run NoScript, but that can take a little getting used to (it blocks all scripts on all sites, so unless you have a whitelist already downloaded, it can be harrowing to create your own).

Haven't bumped into any Ads as yet, but i dont do FB Twitter and any of the other social media stuff, it was just Youtube i was having problems with and its working ok, if it does start i will use uBlock Origin, thanks for the tip.

I wouldn't like to create my own white list, jeez, i aint pooter savvy at all lol in fact, that would be me > :comphit:

i aint pooter savvy at all lol in fact, that would be me > :comphit:

That would be most of us...and I do this for a living. Anyways, I did find out that you can download whitelists for NoScript.

Haven't bumped into any Ads as yet, but i dont do FB Twitter and any of the other social media stuff, it was just Youtube i was having problems with and its working ok, if it does start i will use uBlock Origin, thanks for the tip.

I wouldn't like to create my own white list, jeez, i aint pooter savvy at all lol in fact, that would be me > :comphit:
Does your screen keep telling you that 'you appear to be using and ad' blocker'

Once, it has done it since i installed it, but before i did it was saying that, but very rarely

Brain fading out.

How does one alter the cookie settings in Firefox ?

I'm trying to log into a site and it won't let me, says not allowing cookies may be the problem.

... How does one alter the cookie settings in Firefox ?
I'm trying to log into a site and it won't let me, says not allowing cookies may be the problem.

On my (latest) version ... The cookie / security settings are under Preferences -> Privacy & Security

Thanks to both.

However, a rookie mistake has made thing even harder. See 'Silly Mistakes'.

Tried both the about routs, Both send me via Menu>Options> Security etc.

But there is no mention of cookies at all.

I've had this trouble before. Can't remember how I fixed it.

Basically my Firefox is old. But XP won't accept the new version.

My other browser, Avast Advanced Browser, Detects that the site I am trying to reach is an http, and not an https. so it tells me it isn't secure and won't proceed.

Bit odd really as it is the openSuse website.

My other browser, Avast Advanced Browser, Detects that the site I am trying to reach is an http, and not an https. so it tells me it isn't secure and won't proceed.
Have you tried manually adding the 's' in the URL bar?

Any Photoshop ninjas here?

Asking as a person who literally does not know the first thing about image editing, is it possible to artificially refocus part of an image?

I have a (high-res) scan of a 1943 photograph and one figure is blurred owing to movement.

Is there any scope for sharpening it up and is anybody here up to the task?

It is not possible to literally "artificially refocus part of an image" (as stated; at face value) within the image itself. However ...

It is possible to manipulate an image (or portion thereof) to counteract distortions (non-focus; blurring) to generate an approximation of the image's appearance without the distorting effect(s).

Your specific example - motion blurring - is one of the distortions that might be amenable to such simulated effect reversal.

For example ... In years past PhotoShop included a motion blur effect among its tools. This effect involved specifying parameters which were used to blur the image. If you were to excerpt / isolate / crop the blurred figure (or portion thereof) and subject it to this or a similar motion blur tool, but with carefully selected (almost certainly experimentally derived) parameters representing the inverse of the motion blurring the original, you might be able to generate a simulated version of the un-blurred image.

The opportunity for this to work depends on how discrete and unary the blurred object is and how linear the blurring motion had been.

If you're talking about a full-figure image (head / arms / legs / etc.) the odds of success are very low because those are different components moving in different ways. If you're talking about 3D shifts (e.g., rotation when turning a head; movements outside the 2D plane of the scene) the odds are even lower without extraordinary measures (e.g., 3D mapping and re-rendering).

Bottom Line: The optimum factors are discrete blurred object, simple linear movement, and movement trajectory within the plane of the scene.

Not really a reply but... can't decide whether this has helped or not !! I came here for some light relief as I have been having problems with confusion of my own. Various notebooks with now defunct e-mail details and newer e-mails, various passwords done at various times ! = Total confusion about whether I have booked something or not ?! Can't contact places as phone numbers are not recognised, Grrrr...Think it is now sorted, not sure as full memory on cloud (photos) meant I wasn't getting all newer e-mails and don't want to spend money Lol. Hoping I am sorted now. I do not like modern computer tech'at the minute, feeling like a Luddite!! sorry JUST NEEDED A MOAN, KNOW IT'S MY OWN FAULT FOR NOT BEING MORE ORGANISED. I wish there was a computer fairy...my other half usually gets that role but think he has had enough of it today. I read the above … and wish I understood it all LOL. Do other people experience their brain going around in circles ?:bmonk::jugg::truce:

Not really a reply but... can't decide whether this has helped or not !! I came here for some light relief as I have been having problems with confusion of my own. Various notebooks with now defunct e-mail details and newer e-mails, various passwords done at various times ! = Total confusion about whether I have booked something or not ?! Can't contact places as phone numbers are not recognised, Grrrr...Think it is now sorted, not sure as full memory on cloud (photos) meant I wasn't getting all newer e-mails and don't want to spend money Lol. Hoping I am sorted now. I do not like modern computer tech'at the minute, feeling like a Luddite!! sorry JUST NEEDED A MOAN, KNOW IT'S MY OWN FAULT FOR NOT BEING MORE ORGANISED. I wish there was a computer fairy...my other half usually gets that role but think he has had enough of it today. I read the above … and wish I understood it all LOL. Do other people experience their brain going around in circles ?:bmonk::jugg::truce:
Don't worry, you're not alone - I'm really disorganised and only recently wrote a load of passwords down. Until then I had relied on yellow post-it notes, which regularly ended up lost.

Ger,

Circles of the ever decreasing kind here.

You are far from alone. For someone brought up with DOS, BASIC and a bit of Z80 or 8086 Assembler every now and then, today's world is very much best left to the young.

Problem is, many thing simply wont work with last years version of an application. So you are constantly having to make decisions on how to fix this or that.

My Firefox wont work properly as it is out of date. But the new version won't install onto my XP . And I've no intention of upgrading to yet another MS system.

So I'm gradually trying to get into Linux. Hopefully I can set up a system that will stay stable for the foreseeable future.

Just having a few snags at the moment.

Have you tried manually adding the 's' in the URL bar?

No, but I'll give it a try.

I suspect it won't work as the original doesn't have the 's' in it. We'll see later tonight.

Thanks for the tip.

INT21 Thankyou, however my other half has just had to translate your post for me Ha ha ...Really !

No worries.

Just spent the last half hour trying to log into the openSuse. org forums.

It's chasing me round in circles. Getting nowhere.
Considering going back to my Puppy Linux installation. That works, but is somewhat crippled as the more useful instructions have been removed from it.

So I'm gradually trying to get into Linux. Hopefully I can set up a system that will stay stable for the foreseeable future.

Just having a few snags at the moment.

I was using Ubuntu and as near as I can tell, there was some bad blood going on, as I guess the originator was allowing ads to be shown on one's desktop if one searched for anything. (There's a really long story here).

That being said, several years ago I found Linux Mint and that (last I checked; it's been a while) was working great for me.

I was using Ubuntu and as near as I can tell, there was some bad blood going on, as I guess the originator was allowing ads to be shown on one's desktop if one searched for anything. (There's a really long story here).

That being said, several years ago I found Linux Mint and that (last I checked; it's been a while) was working great for me.

I have a quite reliable Puppy Linux running. But it is a bit stripped down and some of the more useful Command Line stuff has been taken off.

But it's a very good learning tool.

I am trying to get Suse13.1 running, but having a bit of a problem with connecting it to the web.

However, I have other fish to fry, so in no hurry.

Does anyone here use gesture typing? I love the idea, less like the implementation. I seem to have to re-enter every other word (the word "re-enter" was impossible to gesture type). Trying to use it whenever I compose text on my mobile nowadays as theoretically it should improve input speed. I quite like to check the forum when I am on the train, but I have found replying takes much more time on mobile than it does on my desktop where I can use my actual keyboard, accordingly I have sometimes given up on a relatively long post that I have partly composed on mobile. Hints and tips gratefully received.

Back