• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Fear the Zombies not strong women!
I wouldn't still be here without strong women Ramon .. and it's mostly men that are killed in zombie films in my viewing experience so I don't see any misogyny in the zombie film genre? ..

It's harder to defend the slasher film genre though against celebrating killing women, especially films by Argento .. he's especially odd IMO.

Last edited:
I wouldn't still be here without strong women Ramon .. and it's mostly men that are killed in zombie films in my viewing experience so I don't see any misogyny in the zombie film genre? ..

It's harder to defend the slasher film genre though against celebrating killing women, especially films by Argento .. he's especially odd IMO.

I merely stated that a film had strong female characters and imho your response was a tad OTT.

I merely stated that a film had strong female characters and imho your response was a tad OTT.
Barbara was great in the Night Of The Living Dead remake because she was the first character to say something I'd always been puzzled about in the zombie genre "The move so slowly, if we stay calm, we can just walk through them." .. that had needed addressing forever in the Romero 'zombieverse' .. I wasn't responding to you post, just the derivative Laura Croft alikes that have permeated horror and science fiction films over the last two decades. I feel the same way about this phenomena as the amount of dolls and clowns in horror which are also getting boring.

Barbara was great in the Night Of The Living Dead remake because she was the first character to say something I'd always been puzzled about in the zombie genre "The move so slowly, if we stay calm, we can just walk through them." .. that had needed addressing forever in the Romero 'zombieverse' .. I wasn't responding to you post, just the derivative Laura Croft alikes that have permeated horror and science fiction films over the last two decades. I feel the same way about this phenomena as the amount of dolls and clowns in horror which are also getting boring.

Well you did respond directly to my post. I'm not looking for an argument.

Perhaps you might respond to Naughty Felid's post which detailed pertinent films.

Also, I'm a bit cranky today so not much in mood for discussing generalities of zombie flicks.

Slasher genre can be nasty but Argento is a bit more sophisticated, in so far as it's often woman on woman violence!

I'll leave it at that.

Also, I'm a bit cranky today so not much in mood for discussing generalities of zombie flicks.

Slasher genre can be nasty but Argento is a bit more sophisticated, in so far as it's often woman on woman violence!

I'll leave it at that.
I've been feeling grumpy as well today mate so no offence taken or meant (gives Ramon a bruv hug)

Are zombies grumpy? Seem to be quite even-tempered, until lunch is in grabbing distance.

The Dead Don't Die: An all star cast, a great director/writer but it just doesn't hang together. Pacing is off, when police chief Cliff (Bill Murray) trips into a grave it should be funny but isn't. The film would have benefitted from a 15 minutes cut to the running time. Some sequences are unrelated to the rest of the movie, the large Juvenile Detention Centre is incongruous in a small town, I realise it's meant as social commentary but it doesn't work. Far more effective is Farmer Miller (Steve Buscemi) who wears a Keep America White Again cap and complains about coffee being too black. Tom Waits excels as Hermit Bob who notices that something strange is going on as animals hide. The Fourth Wall disappears early on as Officer Ronnie (Adam Driver) tells Cliff that the song The Dead Don't Die sounds familiar as it's the theme song. Iggy Pop is great as a zombie who attacks a diner, eating the owner, munching on intestines and drinking coffee. Tilda plays the enigmatic Scottish undertaker who is also a Ninja and nifty at beheading zombies with her Samurai sword. Oh, the whole thing is due to Polar Fracking, the Earth's wobble on it's Axis has been changed. Jarmusch has delivered better. 6/10.

Last edited:
The Dead Don't Die: An all star cast, a great director/writer but it just doesn't hang together. Pacing is off, when police chief Cliff (Bill Murray) trips into a grave it should be funny but isn't. The film would have benefitted from a 15 minutes cut to the running time. Some sequences are unrelated to the rest of the movie, the large Juvenile Detention Centre is incongruous in a small town, I realise it's meant as social commentary but it doesn't work. Far more effective is Farmer Miller (Steve Buscemi) who wears a Keep America White Again cap and complains about coffee being too black. Tom Waits excels as Hermit Bob who notices that something strange is going on as animals hide. The Fourth Wall disappears early on as Officer Ronnie (Adam Driver) tells Cliff that the song The Dead Don't Die sounds familiar as it's the theme song. Iggy Pop is great as a zombie who attacks a diner, eating the owner, munching on intestines and drinking coffee. Tilda plays the enigmatic Scottish undertaker who is also a Ninja and nifty at beheading zombies with her Samurai sword. Oh, the whole thing is due to Polar Fracking, the Earth's wobble on it's Axis has been changed. Jarmusch has delivered better. 6/10.

thanks for that review.

there's only one Scottish Undertaker..
411full.jpg

The Night Eats the World ... reflection on the reality of life alone in the aftermath of an Apocalypse. 7/10. On Netflix.
grabbed the dvd of this the other day as i recalled the review from here, thought it was interesting and intelligent throughout ... scenes with the girl and zomcierge well-handled

Ingenious twist on the zombie genre from the Zombieland 2 trailer:

That's right, a zombie movie with no zombies! Or none that would trouble you too much.

ah well, we ll always have the first film, which was sublime, my film of the year, that year

ah well, we ll always have the first film, which was sublime, my film of the year, that year
I liked the original too, so I'll probably watch this one.

Ingenious twist on the zombie genre from the Zombieland 2 trailer:

That's right, a zombie movie with no zombies! Or none that would trouble you too much.
I might give it a go, I found Jessie Eisenburg's 'if you can't beat them, criticise them in scathing ways' Columbus character irritating in the first one though. The rest of the film was enjoyable enough.

The bit in the original where they ask Bill Murray if he has any regrets was worth the whole movie. This one, eh, maybe they're keeping the best jokes from the trailer. The doubles plot looks a bit odd. But I'm glad to see Abigail Breslin in a big movie again, she's had her troubles so I hope this does well for her.

Peelers: No, it's not about rozzers, rather it's about a strip club and it's employees who comes under attack from zombiesque customers. Its the closing night and Blue Jean (Wren Walker) is feeling blue as she has had to sell up to a local shady businessman. Her strippers all have their own idiosyncrasies when it comes to performances. Some customers are unwell - turns out they were infected by an oily substance in the local mine, they die but reanimate!

Some good zombie make up and effects with dark eyes exuding a tarry oil but perhaps a tad too much of the oil being vomited up. Lots of gore with stabbings and biting. But the characters here are fleshed out and I don't mean just nude. Blue Jean in particular has a strong back story, being an ex-cop, she also has troublesome and troubled son, Logan. A Horror/Comedy which delivers more than the opening credits sequence suggest. 6/10. On Netflix.

i dont know why, but i cant enjoy breakfast anywhere but a strip club

teen sidekick fortean avenger and i planned to catch zombieland 2 following a rewatch of the (classic) first ... events conspired against, so we caught the sequent tonight ... trailer had been pretty dodgy, thankfully the feature chose not to pursue the doubles plotline, harrelson was the only returning player with spark gamble moxie and dance, and had the only laugh out loud moments ... glad it wasnt a full-on stinker, but shame there were only flashes of the first films spirit

teen sidekick fortean avenger and i planned to catch zombieland 2 following a rewatch of the (classic) first ... events conspired against, so we caught the sequent tonight ... trailer had been pretty dodgy, thankfully the feature chose not to pursue the doubles plotline, harrelson was the only returning player with spark gamble moxie and dance, and had the only laugh out loud moments ... glad it wasnt a full-on stinker, but shame there were only flashes of the first films spirit
I'll give it a watch when it's on DVD.

Talking of zomcoms, there's Little Monsters out in the UK this weekend, which I can heartily recommend. Too many zomcoms fall short, but this is right up there with Shaun of the Dead and One Cut of the Dead. It starts out as a comedy about a complete eejit who develops a crush on his nephew's kindergarten teacher. He agrees (or invites himself) to go on a trip to a petting zoo - but a nearby US Army base has unleashed a zombie outbreak.

This is really funny, it's very rude in places but one of the sweetest horror comedies I've seen in ages. A lot of that is down to the teacher, Miss Caroline played by Lupita Nyong'o - if you don't end the film completely in love with her then you have the soul of the undead, she's incredibly attractive in it, but no manic pixie dreamgirl stereotype, she's a proper character.

I believe it went straight to Hulu in the US, but seek it out. Best Aussie film in ages, never mind one of the best horrors of the year. I won't spoil the jokes, but 5 year old Darth Vader is hilarious.

Back