• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

New Blog Request

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Ok, a bit of help. I used to blog on the FT website and the CFI website but I'm thinking of doing my own Fortean blog.
I'm not asking for what content people want but what woudl you look for in a blog site that you think I should have eg a good search engine, informative titles, regular updates etc...
Call it market research!
Any suggestions gratefully recived.

Thanks

Let's start with the expected content. What do you plan to post on your blog?

Let's start with the expected content. What do you plan to post on your blog?
Things of interest to the average Fortean (if such a thing exists). So stories I come across, old and new, links to articles and books of interest to download, notices of events of interest.

Things of interest to the average Fortean (if such a thing exists). So stories I come across, old and new, links to articles and books of interest to download, notices of events of interest.
It sounds like this place!

In the world of successful websites, the old adage 'Content is King' I still believe rings true. Plus, if you have a unique slant or perspective that nobody else has, all the better.
Also consistency with updates. If you say that you'll update every Friday, your readers will expect to see that, if not, they'll just drift away.

Isn't a blog more of a 'rolling diary' ?

Ok, a bit of help. I used to blog on the FT website and the CFI website but I'm thinking of doing my own Fortean blog.
I'm not asking for what content people want but what woudl you look for in a blog site that you think I should have eg a good search engine, informative titles, regular updates etc...
Call it market research!
Any suggestions gratefully recived.

Thanks
I’m thinking good spelling might be useful as well!

correct picture info for screen readers, possibility of a low-contrast quiet version - there are a number of sites/blogs I (and others!) don't frequent becuase it's all red text on a black background with animated yellow lighting!

This sounds like an emphasis on providing topical reference support to your readership. Such referential support can be relatively objective (without much that is uniquely "Gordon" inserted or spun therein) or it can be more heavily invested with your personal touch (style; comments; analysis; etc.). At the extreme, it can be explicitly and uniformly "Gordon's take on the subject(s)."

The decision on where your blog may fall on this spectrum will help determine what and how you should implement it.

correct picture info for screen readers, possibility of a low-contrast quiet version - there are a number of sites/blogs I (and others!) don't frequent becuase it's all red text on a black background with animated yellow lighting!

Yes, quite important, it has to be easy on the eye. There are lots of sites with suggested colour palettes to minimize eye strain, make for easy reading and the like. Also, if you're going to have images, make sure you optimize them as not everyone viewing your site will have a broadband connection.

Back