• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Modern Sex Cults

During Smallville her character of Chloe Sullivan was added to the Superman comics. I imagine she might disappear again quietly.

Not just about Nxivm: why people join Cults.

Nxivm: 'Why I joined a cult - and how I left'

But what leads people to join such groups? And how do they reintegrate into society once they leave?

Renee Linnell

When I was 33, I wandered into a tantric Buddhist meditation seminar and I sat down to meditate. I was expecting an older woman with long grey hair, a white robe and spa music. Instead it was a young woman and what looked like an Armani business suit and stiletto heels. ...

Then what happens is they start giving you so many tasks that so much of your time is consumed in the group that you start distancing yourself from friends, family and activities you loved. Without realising it, my support structure started to disappear and the groupthink started to set in. ...

The more money we made, the more money we paid. They'd justify it by saying everything is energy, including money. The more money you spend and give to the teachers the more empowerment you'd get.

It was all abusive, my whole life was theirs. Then the guru seduced me as a consort, where a spiritual teacher takes his student as a lover. He slowly but surely started criticising me. Nothing I did was good enough. ...

Sarah Lionheart

I was doing my PhD in consciousness and spirituality. I went to a talk and there was a Hindu monk talking very eloquently about consciousness and the mind so I started training with him.

Before I knew it I was completely hooked. Then he said: "I can't teach you any more, you need to go to my guru in India who's absolutely enlightened. This is your chance." ...

After three days at the ashram in India, I'd eaten lunch and I remember slowly, slowly trying to hang onto the wall and my fingernails scratching the wall, slipping down and losing consciousness. The next thing I knew I was in the room they had given me and he was on top of me. I didn't get out of that room for three months. ...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-47900242

You know this recent story about the Mormons massacred by a Mexican cartel:
Pertinent story

There's a conspiracy theory the Mormons were actually NXIVM members, and are somehow connected to a plot to create a war between Mexico and the US (it's in the FT's Conspirasphere column this month). Well, that escalated quickly - anyone know any more?

You know this recent story about the Mormons massacred by a Mexican cartel:
Pertinent story There's a conspiracy theory the Mormons were actually NXIVM members, and are somehow connected to a plot to create a war between Mexico and the US (it's in the FT's Conspirasphere column this month). Well, that escalated quickly - anyone know any more?
It should come as no surprise to anybody that the USA looks to the drug war over the border, and the mounting and atrociously mutilated and tortured body count and considers an intervention. It also dovetails with Trump's wall building. How do we deal with this open wound created by the utterly unsuccessful US policy of latter day prohibition, wherein the law removes a citizen's right to self-medicate. Mexican people are being murdered in the streets of Juarez so Americans can flout their nations' laws and enjoy over-priced recreational pharma. It's a lose/lose for everyone not making billions from the drug trafficking.

But are NXIVM active in encouraging any of this, or is it all coincidence?

But are NXIVM active in encouraging any of this, or is it all coincidence?
According to all accounts they were a localized group in upstate NY and no longer exist.

I suppose I should join a sex cult so you guys don't have to. I'll let you know how it shakes out.

I suppose I should join a sex cult so you guys don't have to. I'll let you know how it shakes out.

Good of you to take one several hundred for the team. Get back to us with an update when you can look up your own arsehole and see the sky.

maximus otter

Good of you to take one several hundred for the team. Get back to us with an update when you can look up your own arsehole and see the sky. maximus otter
Hmm, I think I'll be a bit more choosy about which sex cult I join than that MO, but thanks for the timely suggestion.
Be sure to use a condom.
Only one? Srsly?

Another outrageous case.

A man accused of abusing his daughter's university roommates has been arrested in the US and charged with extortion, sex trafficking and forced labour.

Prosecutors say Lawrence "Larry" Ray extorted some $1m (£771,000) from students at New York's Sarah Lawrence College, abusing them "emotionally, physically, and sexually". The charges were prompted by a story in New York magazine, which detailed the alleged workings of Mr Ray's "cult". Mr Ray, 60, has denied the allegations. He was arrested on Tuesday in the state of New Jersey.

"For the better part of the last decade, we allege there was no limit to the abuse Ray's victims received, and there is no way of knowing the amount of damage he may have caused them in the years to come," said FBI Assistant Director William Sweeney.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51481390

They're back!

A group that’s been holding nightly dances in support of inmates at a federal lockup in Brooklyn may have begun as “cover movement” of Keith Raniere, the convicted leader of infamous upstate sex cult Nxivm, according to a report.

Former members of Nxivm told the the Times Union that some organizers of the We Are As You campaign are loyal disciples of Raniere, who is awaiting sentencing at the Metropolitan Detention Center on charges including racketeering, sex trafficking and forced labor conspiracy.

“It’s a cover movement for Keith Raniere — it’s a Trojan horse,” said Mark Vicente, a former high-ranking Nxivm member who testified against Raniere at his trial last year.

“Why are all the key figures Raniere loyalists? This is all in tribute to Raniere.”

https://nypost.com/2020/07/15/dancers-outside-brooklyn-jail-are-cover-movement-for-nxivm-sex-cult/

From Oscar-nominated, Emmy-winning directors Jehane Noujaim and Karim Amer (“The Square,” “Control Room,” “Startup.com”), The Vow examines the self-improvement group NXIVM, whose leaders have been charged with sex trafficking and racketeering conspiracy. The docuseries takes a deep, nuanced look at the experiences of its members, spotlighting their universal desire for personal growth. Amidst claims by NXIVM participants of both profound transformation and devastating abuse, the series seeks to reveal the issues behind the headlines and explore the emotional toll of unfolding events on these individuals.

He'll be away for a while.

Oct. 27 (UPI) -- Keith Raniere leader of a purported self-help group was sentenced to 120 years in prison Tuesday on charges related to forcing women into a sexual slavery cult.

Raniere, 60, was sentenced in federal court in Brooklyn where former members of NXIVM -- the Albany, N.Y.-based self-help group he founded -- said he preyed on insecure people believing they were joining a women's empowerment group who were later pressured into having sex with him and blackmailed to remain silent.

More than 18,000 people have taken NXIVM classes in the United States, Mexico and Canada since it was founded in 1998. Raniere created a secret sorority called DOS inside the group in which female "slaves" turned over compromising material and were then blackmailed into sex. ...

Raniere has directed supporters to launch a podcast about his case and established a contest offering a $25,000 cash prize in exchange for finding errors in his prosecution in an effort to overturn his conviction.

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/202...ntenced-to-120-years-in-prison/8741603832354/

The actor Michael Rosenbaum, who was on Smallville with Allison Mack, has a podcast. It's called Inside of You. In one episode he talks about her cult involvement. I just listened to the beginning but it seems the two of them had little interaction on set.

Mr Rosenbaum seems like a good guy when I see him interviewed. Lex and Chloe didn't share may scenes as far as I remember. Didn't know he had a podcast.

Back