• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Witcher (TV Series; Netflix)

dejanmikic

Abominable Snowman
It stars on Dec 20 - I completed the game and saw the trailers and I think I am excited about it.... anyone else?

Visually he looks boring compared to the game, though those shoulder pads always bothered me.
I read the first book in the series, not something that grabbed me.

I'll be watching. I'm pleased they haven't made him a pretty boy - he's definitely a man!

In the computer game he looks like a man. In the series he looks like a pretty boy.

It's a good thing Henry Cavill is such a stunningly brilliant actor.

In the computer game he looks like a man. In the series he looks like a pretty boy.

Really? On a continuum Cavill is much further towards the man end than I thought they'd go.

I'll be watching. I'm pleased they haven't made him a pretty boy - he's definitely a man!

He's still quite pretty though, they should cast a fat bloke they found down Wetherspoons.

A fat bloke with a skullet.

:rolllingw:

I think they've nailed Gen. :itslove:

Anyone interested in this stuff should watch 'Forging a witcher sword'.

youtube]xsDtlB4OSrs

Rather long, but worth the time.

Working link here:

Can't see it.

I had to clip off each end to get that part to show.

(this may be my old browser problem , again)

That smith, Freerk Wieringa, really does some brilliant work. I'm not into swords, but he has to be admired; even looks the part.

Anyone looking forward to this? I am after completing Witcher 3 on PS4 and looking through the trailers

We finished it last night, sword and sorcery/fantasy is not my kind of stuff although my wife loves it. Having said that, I quite enjoyed the series. Not having read the books I felt all of the main characters played their parts well. I wouldn't mind Cavill as the next 007.

Watched the first episode, it felt rather wooden and poorly-scripted to me. Especially in comparison to early game of thrones, it feels very lifeless. Is it worth sticking out?

Episode 6, the plank walk was based on this real-life horror.

In another video I've seen of that walk, they get to a point where there's an old lady selling snacks. Meaning she does it every day with all of her wares, probably before sunrise. IIRC that walk is part of a buddhist pilgrimage path and is traditionally done at night because sometimes ignorance is bliss.

I’ve just watched the first episode. The opening monster fight was OK, but much of the rest seemed to be Basil Exposition. Cavill appears to have learned how to act by watching Tom Hardy in Taboo.

l might give Episode 2 a chance, but if it doesn’t improve radically, byesie-bye.

maximus otter

PS: Sub-Blackadder place- and tribe names, too. l’m half expecting the Nibble-Pibblies to appear.

m.o.

They actually picked the the perfect chap to play Geralt - he's supposed to be stripped of emotion.

Watched the first episode, it felt rather wooden and poorly-scripted to me. Especially in comparison to early game of thrones, it feels very lifeless. Is it worth sticking out?

Probably not for you. I know they're hedging their bets with regards to budget, but two episodes at least start with him having just killed a monster off-screen which feels a bit of a cheat in a show about a monster hunter.

I like all of the actors though and it did introduce me to this epic track. Was this from the game?

I've just been watching the Witcher while building a catapult, as you do. I feel Geralt is too much Lego Batman for my taste.

I enjoyed it a lot. I have read a couple of the books its based upon (and played the Witcher videogame series) so it was always going to kind of be in my ballpark anyway, but it was a genuinely pleasing experience.

Not flawless. Some of the visual effects were somewhat lacking (the dragons in the middle of the season for example), but the fight sequences were great and casting broadly very good. Henry Cavill has the ridiculous gruffness of Geralt of Rivia down perfectly, and I found watching the progression and growth of Anya Chalotra's Yennefer fascinating. She works far better than I expected. Pretty happy with that.

Joey Batey's Jaskier worked brilliantly. And yes, for those confused, that is Dandelion the Bard. He has alwatys been 'Jaskier' in the original Polish. Which I belief translates as 'Buttercup' rather than Dandelion, but either way is what they've opted for here. The 'Tip a Coin to your Witcher' ballad will get stuck in your head.

Not 100% sold on Anna Shaffer as Triss Merigold. I think such an important character from the books arguably needed a stronger actress. But, to play devil's advocate here, we haven't really seen very much of her so far. I only know her as having been on Hollyoaks a long time ago. And it's hard to say with soap actors if they're any good until they're given something to properly work with. Maybe I'll change my mind once we see a bit more.

I know that others who have chiefly come in contact with The Witcher through the games may (and have) rante(ed) that she is not a Caucasian redhead. But I would also point out the games differ from the books on this. In the novels she is simply described as having Chestnut brown hair and blue eyes. The latter may not be true in the TV series, but the former is. I've no problem with that.

The main complaints I've heard of people about the series is that some have had difficulty following it. It dies play with time, you aren't seeing a sequence of events from point A to point B. Some people found this to be confusing. I do wonder though, given that non-linear time narratives have been commonplace in popular culture pretty much since the late 90s why so many people still find these confusing? I twigged somewhere around episode 3 that something was going on. I didn't find it hard to follow.

The books likewise dot about a little in terms of timelines. It's not a big deal in my book.

Last edited:
Just watched episode 7 last night.
Not great. Chronologically it jumped confusingly all over the place, so dead characters were still alive.
Lots of clips from earlier episodes too. Didn't really advance the story much and just felt like filler.
Easily the weakest instalment to date.
Hope things improve!

That’s me the fat bloke from Wetherspoons Right and action.Who me hurtles across the room knocking every body and every thing in all directions throwing meat pies and using his tummy as a weapon .AND cut brilliant darling brilliant.Now can we do the whippet wrestling scene

Share your thoughts and feelings... I persuaded my missus to watch Ep1 with promises it should be ... "BIGGER THAT GOT!!!!"... but it was just so flat and boring. She felt asleep in the midst of Ep1. I watched the whole of it but we won't be back to Ep2. Acting is too stiff and story is not compelling. I still hold GOT as better one. But Witcher 3 game is still a must play!

Agree entirely to wooden and boring got through two episodes.Thats it for me.Catweazle is on the tellybox though :D

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHH.

Blimey! I recall climbing up the steep cliff-side steps to reach the acropolis of Lindos on Rhodes a couple of years ago. My wife chickened out and did the tourist shops at the bottom of the cliff instead, and one young woman freaked out halfway up and was clinging to the cliff-face and sobbing whilst friends guided her down.
That Chinese plank-walk though looks orders of magnitude scarier! Nice to see it in The Witcher.

Back