• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Mandela Effect: False Memory

My colleague on the desk next to me just mentioned the old Hovis advert "with the Yorkshire voiceover" .
He didn't believe me when I told him it was a West Country (Cornish I believe) accent and he had to go and look it up.
I told him this was one of the staples of the Mandela Effect. He hadn't heard of that either, but is now Googling it. I suspect he will be registering on this forum shortly!

Definitely a Matrix glitch reboot or a universe slip! I remember the Yorkshire accent, you could imagine him making chip butties!

The 1973 'bike' Hovis advert had a Yorkshire accented voiceover, possibly by Joe Gladwin who played Wally Batty in 'Last of the Summer Wine'.
Except that it didn't, it had a Westcountry voiceover.
What did have a Yorkshire voiceover was a 1978 parody of the advert by the Two Ronnies, but is that the origin of the misperception?
Both here, one after the other:

As I mentioned back in August last year - though at that time I'd forgotten about Joe Gladwin advertising some Hovis products. Presumably Ronnie Barker took the images from one and the accent from the other and helped reinforce the false memory we all have?

I wonder if it's the Allison Wholemeal ad that's confusing us? "Bread wi' nowt taken owt"?

I wonder if it's the Allison Wholemeal ad that's confusing us? "Bread wi' nowt taken owt"?

Hmmm... not sure about that, cos the one I'm thinking of is the one with the bike going up the cobbled hill...

... which I'm hoping is the Hovis one otherwise I'm going to look like I don't know what I'm talking about.

I definitely remember it as a Yorkshire voice on the old Hovis advert.
It's the cobbled street and the brass band music that conjures up Yorkshire.

Hmmm... not sure about that, cos the one I'm thinking of is the one with the bike going up the cobbled hill...

... which I'm hoping is the Hovis one otherwise I'm going to look like I don't know what I'm talking about.

What I meant was they both had a non-RP voiceover and the Allison one had a Yorkshire accent and was just as prevalent as the Hovis one. Now the Allison one is forgotten in comparison, maybe its Northern accent endures in a Hovis Mandela Effect?

Then there's Warburtons, the Bolton, Lancashire bakery. They do vernacular-flavoured adverts too! No steep hills or bicycles though.

Maybe there's something about the staff of life that makes people think "Northern England"! No doubt thanks to advertising, too.

The fillum Scrooged is dowloaded ready to watch. Strangely, I remember it being called 'Scrooged!' with the exclamation mark. It's not.

Make fun all you want :)

"I have seen it happen in other people's lives.... now it's happening in mine!!!" Mozz

Excuse? It actually went over my head that it was an abbreviation of "Mandela Effect" at first. Have I accidentally hit a nerve?

My colleague on the desk next to me just mentioned the old Hovis advert "with the Yorkshire voiceover" .
He didn't believe me when I told him it was a West Country (Cornish I believe) accent and he had to go and look it up.
I told him this was one of the staples of the Mandela Effect. He hadn't heard of that either, but is now Googling it. I suspect he will be registering on this forum shortly!

Probably less Mandela Effect and more General "Ooh-Arr" Accent Ignorance.

I had a new Mandela Effect last night. I was telling a friend about the song "I'm my own grandpa", and I know that I saw Conway Twitty singing it the first time I encountered it as a kid. There is no way it could have been anyone else; his face is pretty unmistakable. Now I go back to see who sings it and there is no Conway Twitty cover of "I'm my own grandpa". Clearly this is not my reality. I want a transfer to my real home plz, (unless it has been destroyed of course, if that is the case, I'd just like to know what went wrong...)

I had a new Mandela Effect last night. I was telling a friend about the song "I'm my own grandpa", and I know that I saw Conway Twitty singing it the first time I encountered it as a kid. There is no way it could have been anyone else; his face is pretty unmistakable. Now I go back to see who sings it and there is no Conway Twitty cover of "I'm my own grandpa". Clearly this is not my reality. I want a transfer to my real home plz, (unless it has been destroyed of course, if that is the case, I'd just like to know what went wrong...)

I'm sure I first heard the song on the Muppet Show.
If someone can prove it never featured on the Muppet Show, I will seriously freak out.

I always thought it was a north of England accent in the Hovis voiceover, too. It's on YouTube. I've just watched it. My accent awareness has always been poor but it certainly sounds west country to me. My colleague is from that area, and we're about to stop at a supermarket in Wetherby, so I'll compare. Lol

The ad was remastered and run again this last summer. Musty admit we didn't see it as we don't watch adverts!

Hovis advert featuring boy on a bike returns to TV after 45 years

The classic Hovis ‘Boy on the Bike’ advert is making a comeback after 46 years.
The commercial was voted the most iconic and heart-warming of all-time in a survey earlier this year.

It has been digitally remastered and will air on Monday on ITV and throughout June.
The revamp has also involved a re-recording of Dvorak’s New World Symphony by a new generation of the original Ashington Colliery brass band.

The ad helped launch the career of legendary director Sir Ridley Scott.
He went on to produce a series of big screen blockbusters, including Blade Runner, Gladiator and the Alien movies.

Earlier, on the, 'What's Your Favourite Xmas Fillum?' discussion, I mentioned, 'The Nightmare Before Christmas'.

Beforehand, I was looking for a suitable, brief clip, on YouTube.

Found same no problem, however, why were they in colour?

Watched this fabulous film many times and it was never in colour - always black & white, being part of its charm.

Had a look online and can't see that a monochrome version was ever released.

...and before anyone asks, yes I did have the colour turned up full on the TV (pretty sure!).

:mad:

It's not in black & white but it has quite little colour. Look up the This Is Halloween song for example.

It was in colour when I saw it in the cinema back in the 1990s. Tim Burton's later animation Frankenweenie is in black and white, though.

Seen, 'Frankenweenie', not confused by that.

Certainly take the point though about minimal use of colour in some scenes - maybe an example:

Still swear it was never in colour...

Faulty DVD perhaps...?

That's way too ridiculous, so guess have to accept being a victim of the Mandela Effect!

Earlier, on the, 'What's Your Favourite Xmas Fillum?' discussion, I mentioned, 'The Nightmare Before Christmas'.

Beforehand, I was looking for a suitable, brief clip, on YouTube.

Found same no problem, however, why were they in colour?

Watched this fabulous film many times and it was never in colour - always black & white, being part of its charm.

Had a look online and can't see that a monochrome version was ever released.

...and before anyone asks, yes I did have the colour turned up full on the TV (pretty sure!).

:mad:

Could you be thinking of The Corpse Bride, which has hardly any colour?

Back