• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/nov/15/canada-forest-howls-shrieks-video

A series of howls and shrieks recorded in the Canadian wilderness have left a hunter and government biologists searching for explanations.
Gino Meekis was out hunting grouse with his wife and grandson in the forests of north-western Ontario – more than 50km from the closest town – when they heard a series of eerie noises in the distance.
“When it let out the first scream, I thought it was a moose, but my mind changed when it screamed again and again,” Meekis told Vice.

Regarding the noise, it was clear in some cases of "mystery noises" that they were trains or industrial equipment. When atmospheric conditions are just right, noise can be amplified, distorted, and carried long distances. But realistic explanations are never the goal with these clickbait stories.

RE: The Giganto video above, the author reveals that cryptozoologists are really reaching, leaping, actually, in associating G. blacki with Bigfoot/Sasquatch. It makes me wince to hear them say "it would be unscientific" to ignore the holes in the current scientific outlook when they make massive leaps over the holes in the evidence for Sasquatch, let alone its continuance as a descendent of G. blacki, which is a belief-based idea that isn't scientific.

Jordy Mercer, professional baseball player, has captured something on his deer camera. Speculations about Bigfoot or a person in a monkey suit.

1574708252687.png

That is a weird one. Doesn't look like a bear.

Best guess: it's one of his teammates in a suit playing a prank. Baseball players are notorious pranksters due to the amount of downtime in the game. The hands look really stiff.

No, I dont see BF as a Baseball player somehow.

Too much downtime, advertising and statistics generation.

As a matter of fact, that goes for any American sport.

Possible Bigfoot sighting revealed as scientists hunt for ‘apelike creature’ in Oregon forests

Explorers and scientists are on the trail of legendary 'creature' Bigfoot in the forests of Oregon.

They say they may have captured video footage of the beast in an area where 'thousands' of Bigfoot sightings have been reported.

The ape-like Bigfoot creature is thought to be real by many Americans.

In fact, more than 10,000 people have described eyewitness encounters with Bigfoot in the U.S. over the past 50 years.

Around a third of all Bigfoot sightings are reported in the state of Oregon, which makes it a prime target for Bigfoot hunters.

A team of experts has been searching for Bigfoot in the forests of central Oregon as part of a documentary for the Travel Channel.

The researchers tracked Bigfoot 'hotspots', analyzed footprints and used thermal cameras to hunt for the legendary beast.

One of the team members is Mireya Mayor, a primatologist at the Florida International University.

She said that an undiscovered primate hiding out in dense Oregon forests "is totally within the realm of possibility," speaking to Live Science.

Mayor previously discovered a new species of mouse lemur in 2001.

The mouse lemur is very small, but she still thinks that very large primates could hide from humans very effectively.

"We've seen that through history with other apes," Mayor explained.

"When I went in search of western lowland gorillas, because of the dense vegetation that they live in, the fact that they're not habituated and in fact avoid humans at all costs, there were times where we were no more than three feet away from a 450lb silverback and didn't know that it was there for a good hour or two."

During filming for the documentary, Mayor and her team managed to capture a move object on thermal cameras.

It's impossible to verify whether this really is evidence of Bigfoot, but it gives fans of the creature hope.

"And when we were in the field, we were able to capture something on video that fits this description," she told Live Science.

"Very big and moving in an apelike – if not bipedal – fashion.

"That, to me, is probably the most compelling piece of evidence that I've seen so far."

Mayor shared the footage with another primatologist, and she says he was impressed.

"When he saw the footage, he was completely blown away," Mayor said.

"[He] agreed with me that something apelike was far from its home."

The 'Expedition Bigfoot' documentary airs this week.

https://www.foxnews.com/tech/possible-bigfoot-sighting-revealed-as-scientists-hunt-for-apelike-creature-in-oregon-forests

Expedition Bigfoot spent the first episode focused on the crew. I'd have liked to have heard more about the "algorithm" they repeatedly mentioned. How did they decide which sightings were real and which weren't? Or did they weigh them based on the probability of their reality, or on the level of detail, or some combination thereof?
And they also have the same dumb feature of playing dramatic background music when we are meant to hear a sound! Finding Bigfoot really annoyed me.
If they do find actual evidence that would be cool, especially if they can reduce the drama about themselves and focus on the actual subject!

It's a TV show, same as all the other paranormal TV shows. It's drama garbage for ratings. This is not how scientific discoveries are made.
To be fair, you could say the same thing about Expedition Unknown, but Josh Gates and his crew turned up really interesting stuff at least twice. Once in the Amelia Earhart Case, and once involving a lost city in South Africa.

To be fair, you could say the same thing about Expedition Unknown, but Josh Gates and his crew turned up really interesting stuff at least twice. Once in the Amelia Earhart Case, and once involving a lost city in South Africa.
TV scientific discoveries are not legit science. It needs to be published and peer-reviewed or else it hardly counts. Too many hoaxes, exaggerations and mistakes to be made.

TV scientific discoveries are not legit science. It needs to be published and peer-reviewed or else it hardly counts. Too many hoaxes, exaggerations and mistakes to be made.
When you go out into a desert looking for the remains of a lost settlement, and you track your progress, and you find the lost settlement and film it in considerable detail, I don't think too much peer review is required, especially when nobody in academia was even prepared to credit the existence of the site prior. Frankly, as an academic, I know people are often too busy to og chasing rumors and get hoaxed when they have papers to grade, but now and again real things show up and deserve to be investigated, even somewhat belatedly, and even if they were only discovered because of a TV show looking into them.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, yes, most often those shows yield nothing significant, and sometimes even present outdated or incorrect information.
From time to time they do produce real results, though, partly because of the attention they bring to the subjects, partly because they have time and money to spend on esoteric subjects that generally are ignored or laughed off.
There was also the expedition to the Mustang region that filmed and photographed ancient paintings that will soon be lost forever to erosion.

When you go out into a desert looking for the remains of a lost settlement, and you track your progress, and you find the lost settlement and film it in considerable detail, I don't think too much peer review is required, especially when nobody in academia was even prepared to credit the existence of the site prior. Frankly, as an academic, I know people are often too busy to og chasing rumors and get hoaxed when they have papers to grade, but now and again real things show up and deserve to be investigated, even somewhat belatedly, and even if they were only discovered because of a TV show looking into them.

TV shows, like anecdotes, can suggest there is something to study but they are not permanent documentation and not even close to scientific peer review. They are edited and most often have an agenda. Did they make a conclusion on what they found? How do they know that's correct? They certainly didn't find everything and document it - that takes years, maybe decades or more. A TV crew spends maybe a few days or a season. Expedition Unknown does not spend that much time at all. Gates knows he's doing a TV show, not science.

For findings to be of any scientific value and credibility, they need to be written in detail for the record and then questioned by others in the field, even independently repeated by them. That's what peer-review is.

Many TV shows are concluding that these artifacts indicate ancient aliens or new civilizations, etc. that have no basis in reality. Is that science too? No. Professionals can't be bothered by rumors because there is more junk than gold out there. That is why the journal publishing process, while seemingly archaic and slow, is still critical to establishing and advancing knowledge.

TV producers, as we've said many times, have to balance the fact that proper investigation is as un-telegenic as can be with an audience which wishes to be entertained at least as much as it wishes to be informed. Miles of footage of people being diligent would be interesting to many of us, but would tank in what are already relatively niche slots.

To be fair to Gates, he does try to maintain some semblance of evidence continuity. If they pick up an artefact, take it to an authority and the latter says it's mistaken or fake this will be acknowledged in the final edit - many of the paranormal junk programmes won't do this.

Miles of footage of people being diligent would be interesting to many of us, but would tank in what are already relatively niche slots.
Actually Youtube has a lot of academic postings of this class if you are interested. I have occasionally looked at fieldwork documentaries for archaeology. Presently I am trying to puzzle my way thru the physics of entanglement via Stanford uni lectures, and getting hung up on eigenvalues again.

A new Sasquatch video posted January 1 from Banff National Park, Canada.
I had to watch it twice as the first time I saw nothing out of the ordinary. On second viewing, there does appear to be something, snow covered, slightly moving, taking cover behind the tree. Some commenters mention being able to see the glint of an eye. I, on the other hand, perhaps need better glasses.
As always with these things, make of it what you will...

According to the poster of the video:
This short video was shot by David Beaver as he was hunting elk near Banff National Park along the North Saskatchewan River Valley, David first noticed an animal carcass hanging in a tree then noticed a dark figure nearby resting between two trees, he believes this to be a large Bigfoot

I saw something furry rock backwards and forwards a little. The fur was quite a good disguise against the foliage. Couldn't make out the shape of the animal.

Looks like something furry hanging onto the tree hoping not to be detected.

Hmm. Maybe. It is intriguing but not clear enough.
As for the "Expedition Bigfoot" I find myself both intrigued at the potential nest, then yelling at the telly when they do dumb things, like their new "expert" handling the reputed "gifts". If that bone might have been touched by a sasquatch, bag it and send it for analysis! At least their primatologist is keeping a brave face, while Dr. Meldrum is being patient. I wonder what they think now of the extra-dramatic edited coverage?

Back