• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Anyone Seen A Ghost?

Yeah we did wear some quite ridiculous clothes in the day.I had a pair of flares that were so wide i couldn’t go out on a windy day.and having legs like match sticks didn’t help at all.Thought I looked really cool though.Ahh happy days

When I met the woman, who later became my wife, in 2009, somewhere in downtown Kyiv, I was wearing a pair of flared jeans that I had bought from a 2nd clothes market in East Berlin a few years earlier. She was very impressed with my jeans. I later learned that the 70s didn't arrive in Ukraine until around 2009 so I was accidentally very stylish.

When I met the woman, who later became my wife, in 2009, somewhere in downtown Kyiv, I was wearing a pair of flared jeans that I had bought from a 2nd clothes market in East Berlin a few years earlier. She was very impressed with my jeans. I later learned that the 70s didn't arrive in Ukraine until around 2009 so I was accidentally very stylish.

Reminds me of the old Levi jeans ad where some dude travels to a cold, forbidding Eastern European city - massive concrete tower blocks, stern military border guards, barbed wire - and once safely inside his apartment unpacks a case full of the very latest decadent Western denim-wear.

The ad was actually filmed in somewhere like Harrogate. I bet someone here knows exactly where it was!

When I was 18 I went to a social club of an isolated hospital that i worked at (we lived on-site). I was a post punk/goth back hen. It was halloween and I won the fancy dress, but I wasn't in fancy dress...

Yeah we did wear some quite ridiculous clothes in the day.I had a pair of flares that were so wide i couldn’t go out on a windy day.and having legs like match sticks didn’t help at all.Thought I looked really cool though.Ahh happy days
Thing about being a ghost is you'd get unfashionable, pretty quickly.

I think I saw something on Monday. I was at home laying on the bed on my left hand side with my elbow on the bed and looking at my iPad. The wall I was facing is all mirrored ,sliding wardrobe doors. Something caught my attention in the mirror and I looked up and saw what I think was my mother-in-law. She walked into the room and then wasn’t there when she reached the television.
Surprisingly I wasn’t shocked or disturbed in any way at all. Although it has taken me three days to write this so I’ve obviously been thinking about it. She died in 1995 and that was previously her bedroom. I haven’t told my wife as I’m not sure how she will react. I think it would upset her if I said something.

It's not a terrier, is it Danforth? I've got one of those - very prone to going completely still and just randomly growling. Very disconcerting when trying to watch 'Midsomer Murders', but very typical, alas, for a terrier.

Yes it's in the terrier category :)

I log back in to report another experience... This was yesterday morning, around 7am. It was still dark (sunrise being about quarter to nine at this point), it was windy, there was drizzle. Taking the dog out for his toilet trip. I'm walking away from the house and suddenly it felt like someone was behind me. Specifically, the wind was disturbed/disrupted a short distance behind me - as if something large was suddenly there - and then it moved closer... We're out in the sticks and most of the driveway to the house is muddy bedrock, but the last bit is gravel. I heard it move over the stones behind me at the same time as I "felt" it, but it was one continuous scrape noise, like something being dragged or wheeled, rather than individual footsteps.

I felt it move right behind me and stop. Hairs on the back of my neck standing up, I spun around. There was nobody there.

The dog had barked... an above-average amount, I guess. But then as previously discussed, it is a barky dog so I'm not assigning any significance to that :D

A couple of possible explanations: 1) it was just the wind doing something weird, maybe a very mild version of the process which gives you tornadoes - you see them in fields sometimes, spinning leaves in circles. Maybe it was a circling wind that happened to form behind me and follow in my wake. 2) There's a farm next to us, they have two turbines, and one of them keeps playing up - it's been partly dismantled twice in the past year, is noticeably louder and slower-spinning than the other (identical) one. I am wondering if it's putting out infrasound that's messing with my perception, although this is the first time I've noticed it happening.

The dog had barked... an above-average amount, I guess.
Fascinating (and under-investigated) dimension: the use of sensory-assistant/'seeing eye' dogs, as part of the paranormal investigator's toolkit. I've never heard this posited before: I wonder why not?

Or: do dogs hyper-react to *our* over-reactions? If I suddenly freeze & stare when the chintz curtains move in a draught, does my Great Dane run to the window because of my behaviour (nb both curtains and dog are mere literary devices) or because he saw the effect independantly?

I was a post punk/goth back hen
Oh for cluck's sake, that win must've been a feather in your cap!

I am wondering if it's putting out infrasound that's messing with my perception
An interesting possibility: and, pleasantly, a testable/provable one

My terrier reacts (over reacts) to shadows, so I know when she's staring at the staircase and growling it's because something is casting a shadow. It's not (at least, as far as I know it's not) anything spooky, just a cable or a picture frame moving in the draught.

She's a wee bit hair trigger, my dog.

Thing about being a ghost is you'd get unfashionable, pretty quickly.
you'll just have to make sure that day you die you wear something 'classically timeless.'

I had a really unusual experience as a child - in the early 80s. Walking home with my mum in a dark street and clearly nobody else around i looked up the road and saw a shadow going out from the kerb into the road, and it was moving. It was also light enough under the electric street lamps to see there was nothing casting the shadow - it was just there. Also it was way darker than the actual shadows around it because of the street lighting. I compared it to my own shadow which was a multiplicity of grey shadows that changed angles as we walked from one street lamp to the next. This odd shadow was pitch black and remained as if there was bright sunlight to the other side of her (in actuality there was a 12 foot high granite wall so the light to create this shadow would have been an impossibility anyway. Anyway I was able to watch it as it got nearer. It was clearly of a person. I could see legs. I saw it was wearing a knee length loose skirt, it was walking and getting closer and closer. I tried to get my mum to look but she refused. I could have done with the extra witness, never mind.

I wondered what would happen when we met it. Would there be an invisible entity, and would we feel it? Suddenly, there it was, a very clear shadow of woman walking along, and where she should have been to cast that shadow was nothing. And when the shadow passed, I felt nothing. Not even a cold patch - but it was pretty cold anyway so maybe I didn't notice.

Then i kept looking behind us. It was walking along behind, following the pavement, which wasn't completely straight. I would have followed it without my mum being there. It just disappeared off around the corner about 300 yards away.

I often wonder if it still appears there or whether it was just a weird one off experience for my benefit.

Last edited:
I often wonder if it still appears there or whether it was just a weird one off experience for my benefit.

Odd you should say that as that was precisely our feeling when we saw our one shadow ghosty thing - a cat (posted about elsewhere here). Two of us saw it - and the second it was over apart from thinking lots of expletives, the other thing that crossed my mind was that it was a one off and we pass that spot a million times but never would see it again. And we haven't. Husband also felt the same. That it was some sort of blip in time. Or something. We both felt, with absolute certainty, that whatever we saw, no-one else would ever see.

That said, I did a quick look up online to see if anyone else had seen owt weird there. Apparently, no-one had.

Maad!
That happens to me now & then. Usually there's something going on nearby, eg a car crash has just occurred.

I've just had several glass doors installed at home and will be watching with interest for the 'out of the corner of my through the glass door' phenomena! ;)

Here's a thing. Some time after this, we lost our dear ancient Staff/Boxer cross mutt to old age, and a couple of days later I saw him reflected in one of those very glass doors, walking away through the wall and into Eternity...

My terrier reacts (over reacts) to shadows, so I know when she's staring at the staircase and growling it's because something is casting a shadow. It's not (at least, as far as I know it's not) anything spooky, just a cable or a picture frame moving in the draught.

She's a wee bit hair trigger, my dog.

It's not shadows, it's demons from another dimension trying to claw their way into the fabric of our reality so they can feast on our souls.

So best not to dismiss it.

It's not shadows, it's demons from another dimension trying to claw their way into the fabric of our reality so they can feast on our souls.

So best not to dismiss it.

I'd back an enraged Patterdale against demons from another dimension any day. Patterdales are ferocious.

Here's a thing. Some time after this, we lost our dear ancient Staff/Boxer cross mutt to old age, and a couple of days later I saw him reflected in one of those very glass doors, walking away through the wall and into Eternity...
I just saw your byline “Disciple of Marduk” and misread it as ‘Disciple of Mudlark’. Been watching too many mudlarking videos on YouTube .

That said, I did a quick look up online to see if anyone else had seen owt weird there. Apparently, no-one had.

I've done the same - and nothing. I've recently put my experience on a website about shadow ghosts/ entities. Was told my experience isn't really like any that have been previously reported on there, so she had difficulty classifying it. But, wondering if one day I'll hear about someone else seeing what I saw. I do have an inkling, however, that it was for my benefit - and it's always played over clearly in my mind - these days feels like I might have had a glimpse of me in the future and I've clung to that for years.

No, it's rat ghosts trying to steal her kibble.
I'm a ratty keeper and lots of times I catch what looks like a ratty outlines around the room. These aren't solid more like the water seen on hot roads in the summer. I free range my ratties when I'm in the room as i can stop them from stealing things, and playing with the tv remote, all the buttons of which have been "approved" by them..

I'm a ratty keeper and lots of times I catch what looks like a ratty outlines around the room. These aren't solid more like the water seen on hot roads in the summer. I free range my ratties when I'm in the room as i can stop them from stealing things, and playing with the tv remote, all the buttons of which have been "approved" by them..

We have threads on 'ghost pets' which you might like! Dunno if rats feature on them.

Yes !....I remember wearing "Loons" a lot...if I had the figure for them now , I probably still would ! Ha

Awww reminds me, used to let my gerbils do the same .

Supposedly taken by a pilot in the cockpit of a plane nearby, these passengers
appear to be disembarking from a plane that does not exist, I wounder if we
are looking through the first bridge to people in one behind ?

Supposedly taken by a pilot in the cockpit of a plane nearby, these passengers
appear to be disembarking from a plane that does not exist, I wounder if we
are looking through the first bridge to people in one behind ?

It must be something like that. There’s far too many of them to be ghostly.

Coypu - your story of free range rats reminded me of when I used to have one (Magor) who lived loose in the front room. I used to warn people before they went in, by saying 'are you all right with pet rats?' The number who said that they were only to scream and run out when they met her either running up the curtains or trying to jump onto their heads from the curtain pole...

I let mine sleep in my hoodie while i do the house work, they are house trained and when they need the litter box they tug on my jumper to signal its loo time.. Magor sounds brilliant, Florence on of my old girls used to jump from the top of the cage onto the picture rail then climb onto one of the satellite speakers where i couldn't reach her..

Back