• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Bizarre Auctions

Hitler's phone to be auctioned in US

A telephone used by Adolf Hitler during World War Two is to be auctioned in the US this weekend.
The red phone, which has the Nazi leader's name engraved on it, was found in his Berlin bunker in 1945.
Soviet soldiers gave it to British officer Sir Ralph Rayner as a souvenir shortly after Germany surrendered.

Auction house Alexander Historical Auctions says bidding in Chesapeake City, Maryland, will start at $100,000 (£80,567).
It hopes that the phone, which is being sold by Sir Ralph's son, can fetch as much as $300,000.

Auction house official Bill Panagopulos said the phone was a "weapon of mass destruction", as it was used by Hitler to give orders that took many lives during the war, the Associated Press reports.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-39012572

Hitler phone a fake: German phone expert
A phone sold as one used by Hitler and billed as "arguably the most destructive 'weapon' of all time" has been called a con by a German expert. The authenticity of the phone's lineage has sparked online debate.

The unnamed bidder who last week bought was what was said to have been Adolf Hitler's phone for $243,000 (230,000 euros) may have been sold a fake, German media reported on Saturday.

https://www.dw.com/en/hitler-phone-a-fake-german-phone-expert/a-37713206

Hitler phone a fake: German phone expert
A phone sold as one used by Hitler and billed as "arguably the most destructive 'weapon' of all time" has been called a con by a German expert. The authenticity of the phone's lineage has sparked online debate.

The unnamed bidder who last week bought was what was said to have been Adolf Hitler's phone for $243,000 (230,000 euros) may have been sold a fake, German media reported on Saturday.

https://www.dw.com/en/hitler-phone-a-fake-german-phone-expert/a-37713206

A phoney?

Well this may just take the cake for one of the most bizarre and suitable headlines for this forum ever...

Irish Twitter crowdfunded an auction bid on a haunted Victorian dildo—and won

haunteddildo.jpg

The dildo is believed to have been a loving gift from a husband to his wife.
Irish erotica history just scored a huge win after Twitter came together to crowdfund an auction bid for a possibly haunted, ivory-carved Victorian dildo from an American collector. The artifact will now be returned to its homeland and ostensibly donated to an Irish museum to be put on display.

The effort was coordinated by Shawna Scott, owner of Sex Siopa—Ireland’s “favorite sex positive online boutique,” who wrote on Twitter Monday that she had previously noticed the Victorian dildo last time it went up for auction in 2017 and that she was “devastated” to see it leave Ireland.
https://www.dailydot.com/unclick/irish-twitter-crowdfunds-auction-bid-victorian-dildo/

What makes it haunted? Does it move about by itself?

Despite there being a photo, I prefer to believe someone has been telling that old joke that ends in the punchline, "Haunted dildo, my arse!"
To which the haunted dildo might reply, 'so be it'.

And it comes in the kind display cabinet you can put on the mantle piece.

I need to think about that for a while. Wouldn't want to cock up the response.

What is that thing at the right-side.... where do you plug that?.... ahhh, already fearing what the answer might be...

wedding ring for the ceremony? :/

Mexican jumping beans, large beetles, or frenetic rodent(s) - for vibratory effect ... :reyes:

Last edited:
I've just had a good look through the ' From the Curious to the Extraordinary ' section. Some bloody expensive stuff in there for what it is. Interesting stuff, but they're asking premium prices.
That being said, I like this:
Signed cigar case belonging to Fidel Castro
and this
A lock of Queen Victoria's hair
I think with auctions of this type they genuinely have no idea what price things will go for so just put any old number on. I too had a look at everything and I agree about your two choices. Not a bad price for the hair if that’s what it goes for.

These sort of lots are speculative. Some will make way above their estimates and as gordonrutter said most of the estimates are guesswork.

I wouldn't mind some of Victoria's hair. It'd be a great conversation starter. ''Close your eyes, put out your hands and can you guess what you're holding?''

At a harvest festival auction at my local a few years back , a fiver went for a tenner ( it was for a good cause though)

Back