• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

People Who Feel Wrong

Excellent news, @escargot - I'm glad someone finally took you seriously. With any luck this will have proper results in the workplace. Glad you're safe.

Thank you! Yup, I do feel this bloke took me seriously. My own manager does too but he can't seem to do anything.
As I've mentioned, a week or two ago I was complaining to another manager about it all and he smiled kindly and said 'He's NOT going to kill you, Scargy!'
That went down like a bucket of sick. I put him right.

Today I was filling in some forms with a manager from another depot and I told him about the situation. He was horrified; says it's gone on for too long, and gave me helpful advice, which I'll be taking.
Hooray for receptive managers!!!!

Sweet .. :cool: .. just don't be tempted to go after him now. I know what you're like.

He could probably outrun her—she is a snail, after all. :twisted:

Thank you! Yup, I do feel this bloke took me seriously. My own manager does too but he can't seem to do anything.
As I've mentioned, a week or two ago I was complaining to another manager about it all and he smiled kindly and said 'He's NOT going to kill you, Scargy!'
That went down like a bucket of sick. I put him right.
What a plonker, and i am glad something is finally getting done and hopefully you will be safe *hugs*

Thank you, everyone!
I'm on earlies for the next few weeks so should have time to sort it. My boss will be fed up as he'll have to rearrange other people's shifts to cover my lates but that's tough.
It's appalling that this idiot causes so much trouble. Time someone sorted him out by the sound of it. Often these characters turn out to be quite pathetic individuals.

It's appalling that this idiot causes so much trouble. Time someone sorted him out by the sound of it. Often these characters turn out to be quite pathetic individuals.

I believe he needs urgent treatment for severe mental health issues. He's more likely to hurt himself than anyone else. I'm not taking any chances though.

With regard to @Ghost In The Machine's awful situation - one I sorely hope is soon resolved - I think I can supply a reason for the council's reticence to act, if not an excuse for their dismissiveness. Outside of movies, one witness isn't enough to convict someone in court, because people can be mistaken, or worse, lying. The more witnesses there are, and thus the more corroboration, the better, but solid, quantifiable evidence is best of all. That gives the firmest ground to work from.

In the case of the council, child abuse is an incredibly serious matter, and they wouldn't want to accuse an innocent person of it, let alone harrass, for want of a better word, them over it; not for altruistic reasons, I fear, but simply liability and reputation. It'd make them look bad, and there could be other, more tangible repercussions. Unfortunately, this means real cases are overlooked or ignored, sometimes for years, and when they do finally come out, the council look even worse, and the repercussions are far more serious, and not just for them.

It's rather a no-win, in many ways, and it's honestly hard to think of an approach that would, again for want of a better phrase, strike a good balance. Careful, discreet enquiries, perhaps? A less dismissive attitude would certainly be a start.

It's rather a no-win, in many ways, and it's honestly hard to think of an approach that would, again for want of a better phrase, strike a good balance. Careful, discreet enquiries, perhaps? A less dismissive attitude would certainly be a start.

There you have the problem in a nutshell. Damned if they do and damned if they don't. Abusers can be very clever at cover ups.

I've always believed that there should be a minimum age of about 40 ish for social workers. At least they would then hopefully have had some experience of life. The age 20 something social workers I have come across over the years have all been clueless in terms of such experience.

Letter delivered to boss, cats among pigeons. No response so far but when I clocked off today there was a little huddle of managers chirping urgency among themselves in the office.

The best outcome for me would be for him to stay in post with me working earlies so our paths didn't cross. If he gets the sack he'll blame me and might decided to sort me out.

However, if he stays he'd still be here, menacing others. No saying what would happen if his state of mind deteriorates.
I'm the only person kicking off though, even after he's threatened people and told them his imaginary girlfriend story.

Letter delivered to boss, cats among pigeons. No response so far but when I clocked off today there was a little huddle of managers chirping urgency among themselves in the office.

The best outcome for me would be for him to stay in post with me working earlies so our paths didn't cross. If he gets the sack he'll blame me and might decided to sort me out.

However, if he stays he'd still be here, menacing others. No saying what would happen if his state of mind deteriorates.
I'm the only person kicking off though, even after he's threatened people and told them his imaginary girlfriend story.
Has he given you any more crap since you reported him ?

Nope, but I'd already started making sure Techy was between him & me by then.
Reckon he's already got the Def Con 1 hint but I don't blame you for keeping one eye on the weirdo ..

.. have an inappropriate tune at an appropriate time

Maybe they can transfer him, cause something has to be done, I hope it gets sorted out, i really do, cause he is a menace and sooner or later he is going to flip out.

Maybe they can transfer him, cause something has to be done, I hope it gets sorted out, i really do, cause he is a menace and sooner or later he is going to flip out.
Nail on head there. They won't transfer him though. He works for a different company so my managers have no say in it.

I'll be OK on early shifts as I'll never be in the building at the same time as he is. That's good enough for me.

So long as you are happy with it, that is all that matters
Yes, exactly! Haven't yet heard back so expecting to know in my return today.

If the answer is 'no' there will be trouble.

With regard to @Ghost In The Machine's awful situation - one I sorely hope is soon resolved - I think I can supply a reason for the council's reticence to act, if not an excuse for their dismissiveness. Outside of movies, one witness isn't enough to convict someone in court, because people can be mistaken, or worse, lying. The more witnesses there are, and thus the more corroboration, the better, but solid, quantifiable evidence is best of all. That gives the firmest ground to work from.

In the case of the council, child abuse is an incredibly serious matter, and they wouldn't want to accuse an innocent person of it, let alone harrass, for want of a better word, them over it; not for altruistic reasons, I fear, but simply liability and reputation. It'd make them look bad, and there could be other, more tangible repercussions. Unfortunately, this means real cases are overlooked or ignored, sometimes for years, and when they do finally come out, the council look even worse, and the repercussions are far more serious, and not just for them.

No - we did careful and discreet for a number of years. Got us nowhere and more to the point - kids and dogs still in the way of harm.

There's been a development and the brown stuff may be hitting the fan over the next few days - will update if anything happens. In the end it seems to have taken a sledgehammer, not subtlety, to get this situation taken seriously. A (metaphorical) sledgehammer wielded relentlessly. Looks like we're getting somewhere. But some of the stuff we recorded since I posted... it's far worse than even we had thought.

Hmmmm, I've done my shift and am now home with no word about the issue from my boss.

This could be good if they're frantically reorganising everyone's shifts to accommodate me or bad if they're planning to refuse but nobody dares tell me.

Fingers crossed for you Scargy. My daughter was assaulted by a fellow worker (in front of her boyfriend) and he'd been verbally creepy to other young female employees. He was reported by all of them but kept on because 'he's the only one who knows the job'.

There was a mass walk out shortly after, daughter, boyfriend and three other women he'd been unpleasant to. He's still there, apparently.

Fingers crossed for you Scargy. My daughter was assaulted by a fellow worker (in front of her boyfriend) and he'd been verbally creepy to other young female employees. He was reported by all of them but kept on because 'he's the only one who knows the job'.

There was a mass walk out shortly after, daughter, boyfriend and three other women he'd been unpleasant to. He's still there, apparently.
Probably not the best thing to be telling Skargy at the moment mate but you're only being honest to be fair to you .. anything like that? .. kick him in the bollocks. Worry about the police or not later.

Oh that's disgraceful. Isn't anyone in a union?

Hmmmm, I've done my shift and am now home with no word about the issue from my boss.

This could be good if they're frantically reorganising everyone's shifts to accommodate me or bad if they're planning to refuse but nobody dares tell me.
Fingers crossed, dear Snail, they're not planning to refuse. I suspect that would be hard for them to do, as well, because Possible Repercussions. It's my observation, those in power only seem to act if they think there are consequences for them if they don't. And they're probably beginning to feel that the situation is one they can't ignore.

You deserve far better than what you've had happen, upto now.

I cannot tell you how many times I've experienced this in a workplace, everyone knowing something/someone is wrong and/or unsafe and no one prepared to speak but me. I just don't know how they can do it. I can't help but open my gob! And then I become the "problem" because it's easier to target the person making the complaint than it is to tackle the workplace psychopath.

Keep going, escargot! Tough situation but you're doing the right thing.

Back