• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Forum Functions & Functionality: Technical Problems & Known Issues

i got the notification of your reply

I've disabled email notifications for your watched threads.

Your Preferences were previously set to watch threads and generate notifications for those watched items. These notifications are separate from news and notices issued by the site / the staff (i.e., the notifications controlled by the primary notification options within your Preferences).

If that doesn't shut off the emails post here, and I'll kill all your watching of threads.

Otherwise ... You can visit any / all threads you were watching and manually reverse the watch status by clicking on the Watch / Unwatch button above the right end of the topmost post.

seems to have worked, presuming i will still get an indication at top of screen ?

retro glare : page numbers and navigation missing from headers

Owing to computer breakdown and replacement in progress, I'm using a notably old set of software (including browser and plug-ins). Having set this context ...

I'm unable to replicate the MIA pagination / nav elements issue you describe. I've switched around among the available styles, and I'm seeing both pagination and all the usual nav components under all styles - including all the usual elements within the header area.

Have you checked to see if these items are MIA under any of the other available styles?

There's reason to believe we'll be doing a system update / maintenance exercise in the coming days (e.g., this weekend?), but I'm not aware it's being motivated by obsolescence or misbehavior in our current setup.

I'm not aware that the current forum software clashes with who-knows-what apps (e.g., Flash Player, etc.) to yield the effects you describe.

What are the details of your current setup, and have you changed anything (e.g., updated relevant apps or plug-ins) recently?

the forteana forums style is the only style to have the page navigation tools in the header and footer, the others are footer only ... below is retro glare ... i am on a windows 10 phone out of support i think from yesterday

wp_ss_20191211_0002.png

the forteana forums style is the only style to have the page navigation tools in the header and footer, the others are footer only ... below is retro glare ... i am on a windows 10 phone out of support i think from yesterday

View attachment 21721

I was aware of that.

The 'alternative' styles were very much experimental, although I'm gratified that some people are trying them out.

I literally couldn't find the settings to make some elements appear on the page and had no more time to find out. It's also a possibility that missing parts are present but lost in identical colours.

im liking retro glare, im liking retro glare a lot

its got that vector graphics cachet

Page navigation features are currently configured for appearance in a mixed mode. The simpler mode displays the current page without any extended nav features (e.g., a list of other pages). The full mode displays the additional nav features.

When you (henry) access the forum the mode is assigned based on your device's screen or display size parameters.

Your mobile device's relative screen or display size is apparently small enough to trigger the simple / stripped down mode.

This mode setting is global and cannot be differentially set for different users. The only alternative is to switch to the full mode for everyone all the time.

Yo.

The email notifications have stopped working again - the last one I have is dated Thu, Jan 2, 11:12 AM.
Same here. I don't have many notifications enabled, but according to what I think my settings are, I should have had two today, and didn't.

There's been a steady stream of errors thrown by our email server / service, starting approximately 27 hours ago. That's the extent of what I know about it.

Yo.

The email notifications have stopped working again - the last one I have is dated Thu, Jan 2, 11:12 AM.

In the UK method of date notation, that would be 2-1 11:12, yes? Probably doesn't mean anything, but it's an odd number, reading backward and forward like that.

Yes, we know ...

All outgoing email traffic is stalled owing to what appears to be a problem with our email server / service. There seems to have been continuous constipation since 2 Jan @ 0816 EST.

Our tech lead has been notified.

I've just received an email! UK time on the message is 10.50pm, and it's from the "suggestions for a good read" thread.

Page navigation features are currently configured for appearance in a mixed mode. The simpler mode displays the current page without any extended nav features (e.g., a list of other pages). The full mode displays the additional nav features.

When you (henry) access the forum the mode is assigned based on your device's screen or display size parameters.

Your mobile device's relative screen or display size is apparently small enough to trigger the simple / stripped down mode.

This mode setting is global and cannot be differentially set for different users. The only alternative is to switch to the full mode for everyone all the time.
must have missed this at the time ... yes, when i rotate my trusty windows phone to landscape i get all the controls top and bottom ... just an idea, but when the page controls display in retro glare theyre left aligned, other styles are centralised on the screen... i wonder if that would make a difference ? ie centralising

Henry:

I'm not sure the formatting of the Retro Glare style is organized with respect to left / center / right justification.

I need to know which row(s) you're seeing in Retro Glare that appear left- or center-justified.

List the items appearing in the controls' display rows so I can figure out which ones you're referring to, and specific where each of them appears on your mobile screen.

The display is ultimately determined on your end (mobile device), so I'm not sure what I see is what you're seeing.

Changed my password earlier and was obliged to do the two-step verification with the authentication code.

That went well, but then I was booted out and told to do it all again.

When the email arrived with the verification code I did everything, but the code was rejected, presumably because another email with a different code had turned up, followed by several more.

I was eventually quick enough to bang the code in before the next arrived!

Changed my password earlier and was obliged to do the two-step verification with the authentication code.

When the email arrived with the verification code I did everything, but the code was rejected, presumably because another email with a different code had turned up, followed by several more.

I can't explain it, but we're had trouble with all classes of the emails being sent from the board.

Apologies.

If you were using a mobile connection, and you were moving around, it might be that your apparent location shifted so that the authentication couldn't be validated against the most recent location data.

Sit still! :evillaugh:

We can't afford the fancy new AI tech that recognizes and accommodates the irony of a fast-moving snail.

If you were using a mobile connection, and you were moving around, it might be that your apparent location shifted so that the authentication couldn't be validated against the most recent location data.

Sit still! :evillaugh:

We can't afford the fancy new AI tech that recognizes and accommodates the irony of a fast-moving snail.
Nope, I was on my own WiFi at home.

Just a general question because I'm curious. What are the "robots" under the guests viewing list? Is this where, for example, Ggl collecting links for subjects that people inquire about? I only mention the one, because it was the one name that I recognized. Kind of feel like I'm being spied on.:atom:

Just a general question because I'm curious. What are the "robots" under the guests viewing list? Is this where, for example, Ggl collecting links for subjects that people inquire about? I only mention the one, because it was the one name that I recognized. Kind of feel like I'm being spied on.:atom:

Yes ... These "bots" are "crawlers", which automatically scan websites for changes and updates. They can only access public content (e.g., the text posted to threads). They cannot access (for example ... ) your member account records.

The objective of the Google and other search engine bots is to scan for links and updates on public content so they can maintain a timely index of what's available at this site.

When I try to access the Forum from my PC at Work I'm told that my IP address has been banned (since the beginning of Jan) - sorry, don't know how send a PM and already tried the 'Contact us' button.

When I try to access the Forum from my PC at Work I'm told that my IP address has been banned (since the beginning of Jan) - sorry, don't know how send a PM and already tried the 'Contact us' button.
Ok, will get a look at that and get back to you.

Check your Inbox ...

... don't know how send a PM and already tried the 'Contact us' button.

Clues, please ...

Did the 'Contact Us' dialogue not work at all?
OR
Did you send the staff a message using it?
OR
Were you unable to access the message entry at all?

Back