• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

As I’m standing at the pump, watching the litres of petrol go in, I’m casually glancing around, and notice the salon opposite had reverted back into a laundrette. I blinked a few times to make sure I was not mistaken, but no, the place had returned to its previous business, as I could see the washing machines and dryers stacked up against the walls, and an elderly gentlemen sweeping the floor.

How clear was your view? Was it all brightly lit inside or was it a bit dark with some reflection on the window? I ask because perhaps it might have been possible for those huge hairdryer hood things to look like the front windows of a row of washing machines if you only got a bit of a glimpse? Likewise a woman sweeping up hair could look like an elderly gent if you didn't get a very good look. And you did say they were packing up so were probably sweeping.

Intriguing account though. Like it. :twothumbs:

I think @Carl Grove and @CuriousIdent would find this interesting.
We certainly would, because this is a classic time slip account. Dick Turpin has no need to worry about his sanity, or at least no more reason than anyone else in this crazy world, because there are quite a number of very similar accounts around, and it is a phenomenon widely accepted by researchers.

Last edited:
Something happened on Friday evening, which made me believe that I’m completely losing the plot, and that the stress of my job has finally taken its toll on my state of mind.

It can be classed as fortean though, so here goes.

In the main street that runs through my village was an old fashioned laundrette, (which I thought only existed in Albert Square :) ) but In the four years that I have lived here, I never saw anybody use the place, so it was no surprise when one day I saw a note in the window, stating that the shop was to close permanently due to lack of custom.

The shop then lay empty for some months, until one day I saw workmen taking all the old machinery away, then a few months later other workmen renovating the place, and it eventually re-opened as a hair salon.

Anyway, I’m driving home from work Friday night and I’m running low on fuel, so decide to stop at the petrol garage opposite the salon and fill up.

As I’m standing at the pump, watching the litres of petrol go in, I’m casually glancing around, and notice the salon opposite had reverted back into a laundrette. I blinked a few times to make sure I was not mistaken, but no, the place had returned to its previous business, as I could see the washing machines and dryers stacked up against the walls, and an elderly gentlemen sweeping the floor.

I thought this weird, as I pass the shop on a regular basis, and had never seen any work being done to convert the shop back into a laundry.

I had a mind to walk over and ask the guy sweeping when the shop converted back, but had a car behind me waiting to use the pump, so instead went to the garage kiosk to pay.

When I came out I had a WTF moment. The newly converted Laundrette was back to the hair salon. I could see two of the stylists packing away for the evening.

I should be worried about this, but it was the end of the working week and I’d had a tough day., unless the laundry shop had a Brigadoon moment :D
No need to worry, what you have seen is quite normal, a regular time slip. Two questions: 1. Would you feel all right with revealing the name of your village, and maybe exactly where the laundrette/salon/laundrette/salon is located within it? 2. Have you heard of any other interesting goings-on in the area? These things tend to happen more frequently in some places than others.

Thanks for posting such an interesting story.

How familiar were you with the ring to begin with, and how long had it been since you'd examined it / really looked closely at it?

I'm fairly familiar with it, although it mostly stays in its box in my drawer. I haven't looked at it much recently, as I said, it doesn't fit me or any of my daughters, so it's just put away. I did look at it a lot when I was first given it a few years ago, and periodically since, and I was absolutely CERTAIN that it was set with rubies rather than diamonds.

A glitch of the brain, probably, me misremembering or getting two bits of jewellery confused, but puzzling nonetheless!

I keep getting a ring box out of a bedside drawer and attempting to open it to admire the item of lovely jewellery within, only to find that it's actually a spare USB plug.

I've been doing this about twice a week for so long now I've forgotten what the ring looks like. If the actual ring box isn't there, where is it? Will I one day pull out a USB plug at work to charge my phone, only to find a very pretty but electronically useless ring inside it?

only to find that it's actually a spare USB plug.
Sorry to be picky, but, when you're saying "USB plug" do you reallyreally mean a decapitated (indeed one might even say wire-less) plug?

Or meanest thou a USB storage drive?
2020-02-11 11.44.32.png

(ps I'm asking on behalf of a friend. That looks quite like me, but isn't nearly as pedantic
pps if it isn't a ring, but is in fact a USB thingamajigwhatchamacallit, I say plug it into a computer and investigate its contents....carefully)

A thumb drive? (I made this back in 2009, btw, back when we actually called them thumb drives and not USB flash drives like nowadays)

View attachment 23178
That is truly disgusting. What poor devil is now going around with a thumb missing just so you could produce that? (I call them USB memory sticks myself.)

No need to worry, what you have seen is quite normal, a regular time slip. Two questions: 1. Would you feel all right with revealing the name of your village, and maybe exactly where the laundrette/salon/laundrette/salon is located within it? 2. Have you heard of any other interesting goings-on in the area? These things tend to happen more frequently in some places than others.

Thanks for posting such an interesting story.

Hi Carl.

Twas me day off work yesterday and today (was me birthday yesterday see :yeahthat: another day older) so I walked to the garage and took a snap on my phone for a comparative. I’ll upload it when I get back in to work tomorrow.

Incidentally as a birthday treat, Mrs DT booked us in for 2 nights at a haunted hotel in Suffork for next weekend. Obviously I’ll be taking many snaps and will post if anything interesting happens.

Hi Carl.

Twas me day off work yesterday and today (was me birthday yesterday see :yeahthat: another day older) so I walked to the garage and took a snap on my phone for a comparative. I’ll upload it when I get back in to work tomorrow.

Incidentally as a birthday treat, Mrs DT booked us in for 2 nights at a haunted hotel in Suffork for next weekend. Obviously I’ll be taking many snaps and will post if anything interesting happens.
A few snaps of any ghosts that appear would be good as well! :oops:

Something happened on Friday evening, which made me believe that I’m completely losing the plot, and that the stress of my job has finally taken its toll on my state of mind.

In the main street that runs through my village was an old fashioned laundrette, (which I thought only existed in Albert Square :) ) but In the four years that I have lived here, I never saw anybody use the place, so it was no surprise when one day I saw a note in the window, stating that the shop was to close permanently due to lack of custom.

The shop then lay empty for some months, until one day I saw workmen taking all the old machinery away, then a few months later other workmen renovating the place, and it eventually re-opened as a hair salon.

Anyway, I’m driving home from work Friday night and I’m running low on fuel, so decide to stop at the petrol garage opposite the salon and fill up.

I thought this weird, as I pass the shop on a regular basis, and had never seen any work being done to convert the shop back into a laundry.

I had a mind to walk over and ask the guy sweeping when the shop converted back, but had a car behind me waiting to use the pump, so instead went to the garage kiosk to pay.

When I came out I had a WTF moment. The newly converted Laundrette was back to the hair salon. I could see two of the stylists packing away for the evening.

I should be worried about this, but it was the end of the working week and I’d had a tough day., unless the laundry shop had a Brigadoon moment :D

Fascinating.

These are the exact kind of momentary occurrences that generally make people suspect that they may have experienced some kind of time slip. And definitely a fortean experience, one way or another. :)

Did you notice anything else in the locality change, or was it just the laundrette/hair salon? What I mean is, did any of the other shops around it change or just that one?

Hi Carl.

A photo sounds interesting. So does the haunted hotel -- would that be the Bull at Long Melford or the Swan at Lavenham? Actually there are quite a few around Suffolk. Maybe you'll get a few orbs in your photos! Have a good time...

These time slips are so compelling because they're so workaday, is my theory.

But it's at times like this I wish I'd understood 'A Brief History of Time'. Am convinced this phenomena is something we could feasibly figure out and understand, rationally.

A photo sounds interesting. So does the haunted hotel -- would that be the Bull at Long Melford or the Swan at Lavenham? Actually there are quite a few around Suffolk. Maybe you'll get a few orbs in your photos! Have a good time...

It’s the Bull Carl. It’s odd but Long Melford is such a reputedly Fortean town, but I’ve never been there before. It’s only a 20 minute drive away from where I live as well.

Next week end though.

Hi Carl.

Happy Birthday!

It’s the Bull Carl. It’s odd but Long Melford is such a reputedly Fortean town, but I’ve never been there before. It’s only a 20 minute drive away from where I live as well.

Next week end though.
Yes, my wife used to work there as a live-in carer. Just a short walk to Borley, and the local gardener said it was still pretty active. You must live near me (currently Bury Sy Edmunds). I went to a wedding reception at the Bull once, lovely atmosphere there.

Hi all, I have been mooching around the site for a few days and thought it might be time to start telling some of the fortean things that I have experienced, starting with a minor strangeness. About 25+ years ago I was a hgv driver for Alldays stores, delivering chilled goods all round the uk, having 3 or more nights out a week. One time running back empty I ran out of driving time and had to stop in a layby just north of winchester for the night, which as usual emptied of trucks as soon as I pulled in. I had something to eat then put the rubbish in a green wheelie bin that was at one end of the layby. The layby was nowhere near anything so i read a book and went to sleep for the night, I think around 9pm. Next morning awoke about 5am, had breakfast (packet of crisps and a can of coke), started the engine and went to put my rubbish in the bin but found I couldn't as the bin was now full up with a sheep ! A full size dead fluffy sheep stuffed into the bin with abut one third sticking out. Now at first glance it may not seem that strange but the bin was upright and a full grown dead sheep must be heavy, also as far as I could see there were no sheep in any of the surrounding fields. Maybe the sheep got onto the road and was hit by a car but who would go to the trouble of finding a bin to put it in and why did i not hear anything ? (reefer was not running during the night). As I said a minor strangeness but I still remember it 25+ years later. cheers Tuco​

Hi all, I have been mooching around the site for a few days and thought it might be time to start telling some of the fortean things that I have experienced, starting with a minor strangeness. About 25+ years ago I was a hgv driver for Alldays stores, delivering chilled goods all round the uk, having 3 or more nights out a week. One time running back empty I ran out of driving time and had to stop in a layby just north of winchester for the night, which as usual emptied of trucks as soon as I pulled in. I had something to eat then put the rubbish in a green wheelie bin that was at one end of the layby. The layby was nowhere near anything so i read a book and went to sleep for the night, I think around 9pm. Next morning awoke about 5am, had breakfast (packet of crisps and a can of coke), started the engine and went to put my rubbish in the bin but found I couldn't as the bin was now full up with a sheep ! A full size dead fluffy sheep stuffed into the bin with abut one third sticking out. Now at first glance it may not seem that strange but the bin was upright and a full grown dead sheep must be heavy, also as far as I could see there were no sheep in any of the surrounding fields. Maybe the sheep got onto the road and was hit by a car but who would go to the trouble of finding a bin to put it in and why did i not hear anything ? (reefer was not running during the night). As I said a minor strangeness but I still remember it 25+ years later. cheers Tuco​

Could be the panic of hitting and killing an animal in the dark makes people do weird things. Pity the poor farmer missing a valuable sheep.

And today I learned what a reefer (in the haulage sense) is.

eibpPqc.jpg

Could be the panic of hitting and killing an animal in the dark makes people do weird things. Pity the poor farmer missing a valuable sheep.

And today I learned what a reefer (in the haulage sense) is.

eibpPqc.jpg
Sorry tribble, should have said, a reefer is slang for a refrigeration unit for anyone else who may have thought I was smoking weed all night ! Love the sign- exellent

Ohh, very interesting indeed! :D

What immediately comes to my mind is that when you say you were filling up the petrol and "casually glancing around" it seems to me like you were (correct me if I'm wrong) in a state of relaxed mind, not really thinking of anything in particular.

Which I think could have made the 'slip' more likely, you know? Because you weren't really fully 'engaged' with your correct surroundings.

Does that make sense?

Whereas as soon as you focused on the fact that the wrong shop was there, and looked for it again when you came out of the petrol station, it had to revert back to normal because you were fully aware of what was supposed to be there. Collapsing the wave function, as it were. Making a specific reality 'be'.

Just my 5 shillings. Excellent experience at any rate.

There is a type of ghost apparition that is like a recording. It is not interactive; the ghost appears, playing a routine. Thomas Charles "T.C." Lethbridge talked about this in some of his books.

Maybe this can also happen to whole places, not just people. A sort of "ghost" of the old location remains. Not necessarily because the place was alive, but as a derivative from memories of the persons that visited it. Among occultists, a procedure called scrying can be used to look into the past; you might have had a spontaneous experience of this.

Another possibility is telepathy. One explanation for séances is that the mediums can (consciously or not) read the minds of the sitters, producing the channeling with information read from the minds of the persons in the room. Again, you might have had a telepathic event, reading the old store from the minds of nearby people.

There is a type of ghost apparition that is like a recording. It is not interactive; the ghost appears, playing a routine. Thomas Charles "T.C." Lethbridge talked about this in some of his books.

Maybe this can also happen to whole places, not just people. A sort of "ghost" of the old location remains. Not necessarily because the place was alive, but as a derivative from memories of the persons that visited it. Among occultists, a procedure called scrying can be used to look into the past; you might have had a spontaneous experience of this.

Another possibility is telepathy. One explanation for séances is that the mediums can (consciously or not) read the minds of the sitters, producing the channeling with information read from the minds of the persons in the room. Again, you might have had a telepathic event, reading the old store from the minds of nearby people.
Given the circumstances, both are viable theories. Pity the witness didn't have time to wander over and investigate, maybe go in and ask "Why have you opened up again?" That's when time slips get interesting...

Checking my emails today I found a response to a post I made in the NASA World Wind forums.

The whole thing is

(from me)

Look at the following ..

44 42.408N
93 31.461E

I don't have World Wind running at the moment, so can't check it.

(the response ; today)

Looks like an IP address.

-----------------------------------

Now, the strange bit. I posted the co-ordinates in 2011.

It has taken someone nine years to come back with an answer that doesn't make sense anyway.

If anyone has Google Earth running I would be intersted to know what I had seen back then. Can't remember it now. XP will no longer allow the downloading of Google Earth. Needs Chrome.

INT21.

Additional.

My globe places it somewhere close to the China/Mongolia border. And I do recall there is a very interesting object there.

Last edited:
Checking my emails today I found a response to a post I made in the NASA World Wind forums.

The whole thing is

(from me)

Look at the following ..

44 42.408N
93 31.461E

I don't have World Wind running at the moment, so can't check it.

(the response ; today)

Looks like an IP address.

-----------------------------------

Now, the strange bit. I posted the co-ordinates in 2011.

It has taken someone nine years to come back with an answer that doesn't make sense anyway.

If anyone has Google Earth running I would be intersted to know what I had seen back then. Can't remember it now. XP will no longer allow the downloading of Google Earth. Needs Chrome.

INT21.

Additional.

My globe places it somewhere close to the China/Mongolia border. And I do recall there is a very interesting object there.
I couldn't find an object there, but there are some huge grids (roads or irrigation channels?) in that area. Very odd.

I couldn't find an object there, but there are some huge grids (roads or irrigation channels?) in that area. Very odd.

That is what I was looking at. i remember it now.

If you look very closely at those grids, they get even stranger. Note how they do not follow the contours of the land beneath them ? And they appear to have some kind of building or assembly every so often.

I wondered at first if they could be some kind of track, but they are too precise.

Also they assembly is big. I made it about 40 Km across.

I'll have to get access to Google Earth again and go back and look. \this feature is the reason I was trying to get World Wind to work. Hoping the definition may be better.

One interesting thing to do is go as low as you can and follow the object North.

Back