• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Martial Arts Nonsense

Another thing about Xu Xiaodong is that he had his social credit score removed, and successfully sued to have it reinstated.

This video shows an interview with Xu Xiaodong, the 'controversial' Chinese MMA fighter, as well as footage of him beating the stuffing out of mystical Tai Chi master Lei Lei
Hmmm. The Tai Chi guy should not have 'trash talked' about MMA. Just begging for a beating!
MMA does definitely have an advantage, because it's a mixture of fighting styles. Unpredictability.

I remember Jet Li saying in an interview that the MMA wrestlers could probably win him in a fight, cant remember exact words but those are near enough.

Yes, but in fairness Jet Li has been taught stage fighting. It's like beating Errol Flynn in a sword fight.

There are a few actors who can actually fight. Jason Statham. Chuck Norris. Bruce Lee. All with real skills.
But are those skills any good in a ring? Unknown.

There is one problem here, for example when he fought the Wing Chun master. There are rules he was following where only certain things are allowed, whereas in MMA you can do anything you want (?). It’s like say knife fighters are fake because if you pit them against a gun fighter they lose. I admit there elements and situations where there is help from the opponent in martial arts but that is not in competition fighting. Things like demonstrations or katas are ritualised and your opponent will help you.
And as for the comment about a naked neck hold being unbeatable, nope, done it once myself and earned lots of praise for doing it. I admit I was bloody lucky but most importantly I was trained and there was no conscious thought I went for it and was quick enough to manage it and surprise the shit out of everyone and leave my opponent wondering what the hell had happened.

'Ecky Thump? :)

and I haven't a clue :confused:

Didn't we have a thread about how martial arts were more about some perceived spirituality than any useful self-defence in a fight? Is this along those lines?

Feel free to merge threads, etc.

A friend of mine is a 4th dan in Taekwondo. From what he’s told me it isn’t actually that useful for defence or for fighting in the real world eg. having a punch up in a pub.
He said that it’s mainly set pieces and drills which do not require any real thought from the practitioner. A perfect example of this is when he had a fight with a friend of mine when they were both in their late teens. The other bloke was a good amateur boxer and he had the martial artist on his arse in about 10 seconds.
Ive spoken to him about it since and he said the problem is that when you are fighting another Taekwondo practitioner sort of know what’s coming next.But if you are fighting a boxer then you just don’t know where the next punch is coming from and they are a lot closer to you than if were fighting somebody who does Taekwondo.
He doesn’t regret learning it but said if he could go back he would definitely do boxing. He has ended up with an incredible physique though.

...He doesn’t regret learning it but said if he could go back he would definitely do boxing. He has ended up with an incredible physique though.

Back in the 90's I worked with a guy who said virtually the same thing as your friend. He was very advanced, and really into it - and proficient in other martial arts - so I was really quite surprised when his response to my asking what the best training for self-defence would be was, without hesitation, 'learn to box'.

The training regime is probably one of the best and most balanced you can engage in, too. The fittest old sportsmen I know were all either keen boxers, or cyclists (and, in some cases, still are).

Back in the 90's I worked with a guy who said virtually the same thing as your friend. He was very advanced, and really into it - and proficient in other martial arts - so I was really quite surprised when his response to my asking what the best training for self-defence would be was, without hesitation, 'learn to box'.

The training regime is probably one of the best and most balanced you can engage in, too. The fittest old sportsmen I know were all either keen boxers, or cyclists (and, in some cases, still are).
He, and another black belt I know say that in their opinion judo is the best martial art for real life situations.

He, and another black belt I know say that in their opinion judo is the best martial art for real life situations.
I trained at absolute amateur level in karate and judo as a 10 year old, I much preferred judo.

My nephew (skinny as a rake) took up Taekwondo, my other nephew (big boned) took up judo at the same time (both about 9). First nephew's play fighting and high kicks started getting violent, second nephew just swept him off his feet and sat on him. Fight over, Judo won.

People can argue all day long about the best martial art and I don't think there is a definitive one. All have good and bad points. Often it comes down to the individual.
I've been around martial arts in varying forms for most of my younger life and would have to say that a skilled boxer with little fear would win most fights so long as it remained upright. Take it to the ground and I would have to agree with those posting above me, Judo is highly effective. I knew a guy who was a Judoka in the Commonwealth Games for Australia and I never saw anyone take him down, yet he took down all comers with ease. He was a solid, although not an overly big guy, just had a great center of balance and knew his sport.
Though too old to (actually too tired) to train these days, if I had to recommend a style, I'd suggest one of the more modern martial arts, Krav Maga or Brazilian Ju Jitsu, both brutal, effective and straight to the point. Exactly what you want if you can't talk or walk your way out of a situation.

...I'd suggest one of the more modern martial arts, Krav Maga...brutal, effective and straight to the point.

l have never done any martial arts, but from things l’ve read Krav Maga appears to be pretty “real world”. The Israelis have some experience in being attacked, and KM’s pragmatic essence - “Is there a fire extinguisher nearby? Hit the ****er with it!” - sounds like it would make it effective.

The best martial art is still, however, the one l practise: Situational awareness, avoidance, evasion and de-escalation. “You win every fight that you don’t get involved in.”

maximus otter

...The best martial art is still, however, the one l practise: Situational awareness, avoidance, evasion and de-escalation. “You win every fight that you don’t get involved in.”...

My grandad's zen masterly advice, when I started doing the boxing training:

"If you can't talk your way out of a fight - walk away. If you can't walk away - run away. If you can't run away - punch the buggers so hard that their mother feels it."

Another useful tactic is to look like you might just mug them back - even my mum says I look like a bit of a thug, and she quite likes me.

Morning all I did a couple of years learning karate. And while it is useful in some situations I think boxing is the more useful form of self defence.But i agree totally with maximus otter and his sensible approach.
Nowadays as an old crumbly I just scream loudly and soil myself and I find that works quite well.

Hmmm. The Tai Chi guy should not have 'trash talked' about MMA. Just begging for a beating! MMA does definitely have an advantage, because it's a mixture of fighting styles. Unpredictability.
There is actually a form of martial Tai Chi that used to be regarded as pretty amazing in the Chinese Martial Arts underground, but the guy in question clearly doesn't know it.

What, no love for Sumo?

Best MMA fighter I've seen was a controversial judoka - Akiyama / Choo Song-Hoon. Signified his allegiance to both Japan, where he was raised and Korea, where his ancestors are from. Short, scrappy, crafty and iron-hard. He took some strikes, but he bought the takedown every time. Once it was on the floor it was just a matter of time. Didn't matter how big or how fast they were, he'd cop the hits until their confidence overcame their discretion and then it was over. Often instantly. Never saw him defeated (that is not to say he wasn't defeated, but I only ever saw him win).

Morning all I did a couple of years learning karate. And while it is useful in some situations I think boxing is the more useful form of self defence.But i agree totally with maximus otter and his sensible approach.
Nowadays as an old crumbly I just scream loudly and soil myself and I find that works quite well.

My wife once worked with a guy who everyone considered a 'lovable rogue' type of character. He looked like a hobo yet was a supremely intelligent man who knew how to work the system. One night at a farewell dinner for a fellow workmate and after a few drinks, his sage advice when confronted with a situation that you find threatening (physically or otherwise) was to piss your pants and start crying. He mentioned that this tactic had served him well both on the street and in the court room.

Exactly :D there’s nothing like a pair of sodden trousers both front and back and a grown man crying his eyes out.
Ecky thump is a very hard martial art.You have to live on black pudding and pork pies all the time. The whippet belt is
one of the hardest tests known to man .

...his sage advice when confronted with a situation that you find threatening (physically or otherwise) was to piss your pants and start crying. He mentioned that this tactic had served him well both on the street and in the court room.

I remember reading once - I'm pretty sure it was in Kent Anderson's, Night Dogs - about a habitual low-level criminal who could vomit at will; a skill which made local coppers extremely unwilling to pick him up, as it always involved cleaning out the ride afterwards. Night Dogs is a novel, and I didn't realise at the time that this was actually a real world thing, although Anderson is an ex policeman, so maybe I shouldn't have been surprised that it is - since reading his book I've seen several references to 'pukers' in other real world sources.

I had a similar exchange to the above Taekwondo report.
I was with a traditional jiu jitsu club and we were doing a demo spar against a taekwondo club.
The guy was long and lanky, I'm more thick and stocky.
He kicked me twice in the snot better I swept his legs from under him and caught him in a lock with my thighs and delivered the kill to his neck.
He was fairly helpless when his legs were immobile.

Thankfully, I've only ever had to use it once outside of the dojo. Traditional jiu jujitsu is actually fairly versatile and so I managed to wade in for a friend and neutralise three attackers. However, the last one managed to deliver a kick to the pods before I put him down, so it was something of a pyrrhic victory.

Back