• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

U.S. Military: UFO Investigations, Knowledge & Disclosure

US Navy submarine ‘encountered 500mph Nimitz UFO in ocean’ 4 years after sighting

A former United States Air Force intelligence expert claims he found reports of a Los Angeles-class submarine seeing an unidentified submerged object in "2007 or 2008" that travelled at 550mph underwater. It supposedly matched the description of the USS Nimitz UFO.

Mike Turber, an intelligence expert who claims to have worked in the USAF, claims the craft was actually created by the US military.

And in an exclusive chat with Daily Star Online, he suggested the craft is capable of hurtling at astonishing speeds in both the air and sea.

“There was a submarine situation – that report will probably come out further down the line,” he explained. “It (the tic-tac object) was travelling at 550mph. As far as I know, it was a Los Angeles-class submarine. I believe it was around 2007 and 2008. It was kind of in passing when someone mentioned it – I thought it was just a torpedo. But, apparently not.”

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/weird-news/navy-submarine-encountered-500mph-nimitz-21357187

maximus otter

US Navy submarine ‘encountered 500mph Nimitz UFO in ocean’ 4 years after sighting

A former United States Air Force intelligence expert claims he found reports of a Los Angeles-class submarine seeing an unidentified submerged object in "2007 or 2008" that travelled at 550mph underwater. It supposedly matched the description of the USS Nimitz UFO.

Mike Turber, an intelligence expert who claims to have worked in the USAF, claims the craft was actually created by the US military.

And in an exclusive chat with Daily Star Online, he suggested the craft is capable of hurtling at astonishing speeds in both the air and sea.

“There was a submarine situation – that report will probably come out further down the line,” he explained. “It (the tic-tac object) was travelling at 550mph. As far as I know, it was a Los Angeles-class submarine. I believe it was around 2007 and 2008. It was kind of in passing when someone mentioned it – I thought it was just a torpedo. But, apparently not.”

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/weird-news/navy-submarine-encountered-500mph-nimitz-21357187

maximus otter

I'm somewhat doubtful - the fastest manmade object seems to be the Russian VA-111 Shkval jet powered torpedo which can reportedly reach 200mph using 'supercavitating' technology. Submarines can reach around 50mph. The black marlin has been known to reach speeds of over 65mph.

Without supercavitating, resistance from water must be enormous.

I'm not sure how they would accurately measure its speed at 500 mph. They could do a rough calculation, but it would be based on a small sample as it whizzed past.

I'm somewhat doubtful - the fastest manmade object seems to be the Russian VA-111 Shkval jet powered torpedo which can reportedly reach 200mph using 'supercavitating' technology. Submarines can reach around 50mph. The black marlin has been known to reach speeds of over 65mph.

Without supercavitating, resistance from water must be enormous.
Unless they used a textured skin. One idea that's been floated for a while is that of carefully texturing the skin of an object so that as it moves it creates tiny vortices that work much like bearing in reducing resistance. How that would work at 500 MPH is a good question, but it feels like the sort of question DARPA has probably already asked themselves.

Unless they used a textured skin. One idea that's been floated for a while is that of carefully texturing the skin of an object so that as it moves it creates tiny vortices that work much like bearing in reducing resistance. How that would work at 500 MPH is a good question, but it feels like the sort of question DARPA has probably already asked themselves.
One of the reasons for the dappled texture on a golf ball?

One of the reasons for the dappled texture on a golf ball?
that is the same basic principle in action.

With Golfballs people figured out by experimentation THAT it works before figuring out why. Golfballs used to be smoothly round, but people noticed that new balls didn't fly as far as used ones that had dents and scratches. Then someone made balls with dimples and those worked even better.

Last edited:
Inside the Pentagon's Secret UFO Program

The government can’t keep its story straight about its involvement with UFO research. After a yearlong investigation, we bust open the files, break through the noise, and reveal the definitive, staggering truth.

...after two years of scant details and a myriad of contradictory statements, Popular Mechanics is ripping open the U.S. government’s massive UFO problem. What follows is a deep, unprecedented well of information that’s only been known by a very small select group of insiders—until now.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/mi.../government-secret-ufo-program-investigation/

maximus otter

Inside the Pentagon's Secret UFO Program

The government can’t keep its story straight about its involvement with UFO research. After a yearlong investigation, we bust open the files, break through the noise, and reveal the definitive, staggering truth.

...after two years of scant details and a myriad of contradictory statements, Popular Mechanics is ripping open the U.S. government’s massive UFO problem. What follows is a deep, unprecedented well of information that’s only been known by a very small select group of insiders—until now.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/mi.../government-secret-ufo-program-investigation/

maximus otter

Thanks.

It is a long read, which basically boils down to:

The US Military and Intelligence Communities investigate UFOs
They believe that there are phenomena which are not currently able to be identified in standard scientific terms.
At this point in time they have not understood too much about them, they might be aliens but they might be "Interdimensional Phenomena".
They believe there is potential to understand them in the future and gain technological advantage from them.

Thanks.

It is a long read, which basically boils down to:

The US Military and Intelligence Communities investigate UFOs
They believe that there are phenomena which are not currently able to be identified in standard scientific terms.
At this point in time they have not understood too much about them, they might be aliens but they might be "Interdimensional Phenomena".
They believe there is potential to understand them in the future and gain technological advantage from them.
It can be further boiled down to:

The govt investigates sightings because they want to know what people are seeing. If it's extraterrestrial they want to learn more about it.

And as pointed out in that article. Luis Elizondo resigned in 2017 to join the (for-profit) TTSA (To The Stars Academy). So any investigation being carried out by the US govt is no longer being carried out by him.
Good job, too, since he has been entirely unable to interpret the FLIR, GOFAST and GIMBAL video clips, whereas Mick West (also mentioned in the article) has done a much better job as a private individual.

What about the recent articles in Popular Mecahnics about Elizondo not working in the capacity he claims....at AATIP?
Is he lying?

What about the recent articles in Popular Mecahnics about Elizondo not working in the capacity he claims....at AATIP?
Is he lying?
In the long article above the relevant summary on that question appears to be:

"Finally, while the Pentagon has denied AATIP’s existence after 2012 and that Elizondo was never involved in looking into UFOs, Popular Mechanics has obtained documentation that seems to unambiguously show AATIP was active after the closing of the BAASS AAWSAP contract, Elizondo was running this extension of AATIP, and the efforts to examine UFOs are still currently underway.
Though the documents were unclassified, they contained sensitive information, and the person sharing them did so only under the guarantee that Popular Mechanics would not make them publicly available. The person said they only were willing to share the materials to support Elizondo’s claims, which they say have been unfairly challenged over the last two years. "

^Well, that's clear as mud.....;the way they word those things always makes me suspicious.
;)

Well its saying there's been various claims that he wasn't involved or in charge or even if he was it had nothing to do with UFOs. Popular Mechanics is saying they have documentation showing each of those statements to be untrue, and that said documents were supplied by an involved individual precisely because they believed Elizondo to have been falsely maligned by such claims.

^Well, that's clear as mud.....;the way they word those things always makes me suspicious.
;)
Journalistic double talk. We're quoting a confidential source! So we can't tell you who we got our information from, or even what the information actually is.

Whatever the case, Elizondo did resign, mostly because no-one in the top level of government is interested. And probably they are right. The UFO problem is one of perception, interpretation and the shortcomings of sensor equipment, and has nothing to do with extraterrestrials.

Whatever the case, Elizondo did resign, mostly because no-one in the top level of government is interested. And probably they are right. The UFO problem is one of perception, interpretation and the shortcomings of sensor equipment, and has nothing to do with extraterrestrials.
Yeah Bluebook is old news, and proof that the govt has cared about UFOs for a long time. It's just that their study has … well we don't really know actually. I don't think they ever made any of their conclusions based on Bluebook public.

My best personal guess to the reality of all this based on the limited things i see and read about the subject is that there are - appear to be - indisputably objects, in many case structured craft, seemingly intelligently guided, darting about the skies doing "impossible" things at "impossible" speeds. That its not reasonable to assume they're novel and secret scientific breakthroughs by some government or military for the simple reason that they've been doing these impossible things for at least 75 years. But that same apparent permanence is reason to assume there is no "they" invading or getting ready to announce themselves. Equally that there is unlikely to be a governmental conspiracy to hush it up because it would have to involve every government and type of government on earth colluding on this one thing while otherwise warring on each other. There may be the embarrassment and fear of not knowing, or looking gullible or foolish, or scaring people by admitting its real and we just don't know who or what they are. But shadowy transglobal organisations in secret cabals plotting to keep the human race ignorant makes little sense. I don't think there's likely to be any world changing revelations in the next 75 years any more than in the last.

The impression of intelligence other than "us" behind the objects in question inevitably fuels the imagination. But the assumption that any "other" behind it must be something like us travelling from another planet seems largely to be a product of 20th century popular culture rather than any thing evidence based. It probably sounds the most logical and least fantastical explanation. But if one sticks to the apparent facts alone all you can really conclude is there is something largely unseen which actually in some way shares this world with us, rather than necessarily coming from another physical world out there.

One mysterious element which bothers me though, given the concentration of navy and airforce pilots encountering them, is why aren't they widely witnessed by all the people on board passenger planes? There are doubtless some such incidents but I'd imagine commercial flights transporting people on holiday vastly outnumber military craft in the sky...why aren't there far more cases of people flying home from Tenerife all taking photos from their window seats?

Last edited:
A lot of sightings do take place from commercial airliners, including some from the wave in '47 from Boise to Portland (Project1947), and some in those old articles. VERY interesting they cluster around the military, eh? :) Aliens from another planet is the least strange possibility. I think they've been here for a long time and came from somewhere else.

Commercial aviation is along highly predictable routes, basically highways in the air. Any ufo that wanted to avoid commercial airspace could do so. Additionally, anyone looking out the window of a commercial plane and seeing something is likely to think it is another commercial plane.

For military pilots, anything else in the area is a potential threat that needs to be identified, especially since the airspace they use is restricted and no other objects are expected. For example in the "Nimitz encounters", the military sent out a warning to private aviators ahead of time to keep out of that airspace (such warnings are routine operation).

My best personal guess to the reality of all this based on the limited things i see and read about the subject is that there are - appear to be - indisputably objects, in many case structured craft, seemingly intelligently guided, darting about the skies doing "impossible" things at "impossible" speeds.
I am surprised that you have come to that conclusion. Have you read Mick West's excellent analyses of the Nimitz, Gofast and Gimbal clips?
https://www.metabunk.org/threads/ar...n-the-low-information-zone.10921/#post-234196
Flir1 (also called Nimitz, or TicTac) is a fuzzy blob in the distance. It does not move (although it jumps around when the camera changes zoom settings or does a gimbal lock correction). There's what looks like a final "zipping away at high speed" at the end of the video, but it's actually just the camera no-longer tracking the object, combined with a change in zoom that gives the illusion of speed. See:
https://www.metabunk.org/2004-uss-nimitz-tic-tac-ufo-flir-footage-flir1.t9190/

Gimbal is a saucer-shaped infrared glare. It rotates because the camera is rotating to counter gimbal lock. We can prove this because there are other light patterns in the sky that rotate at the same time the glare rotates. The video is consistent with a jet engine several miles away. it does not have any sudden acceleration. See:
https://www.metabunk.org/nyt-gimbal-video-of-u-s-navy-jet-encounter-with-unknown-object.t9333/

Go Fast is what looks like a cool object moving rapidly across the surface of the ocean. However, the angles and range on the screen allow us to triangulate the position and speed of the object. It turns out it's actually moving quite slowly (under 50 knots) and is quite high (13,000 feet). It does not accelerate at all. In fact, it most closely resembles a balloon, or possibly even a large gliding bird. See:
https://www.metabunk.org/go-fast-footage-from-tom-delonges-to-the-stars-academy-bird-balloon.t9569/
The fact of the matter is, many sightings nowadays can be explained using tools that were not available in the old days, such as the FlightRadar website which can discover which airplanes are in the vicinity of a sighting. Other sightings, like these ones made by Navy pilots, can be explained by analysing the data in the film and onscreen. And every time this is done, a reasonable explanation can be found.

I am surprised that you have come to that conclusion. Have you read Mick West's excellent analyses of the Nimitz, Gofast and Gimbal clips?
Don't be surprised. I make no claim to be immersed in the subject. So no ive not read the article in question, though the fact its from a website dedicated to the act of "debunking" would suggest it has as much an ax to grind as one trying to sell us the idea of government cover ups and hybrid babies. Which is to say i suspect its starting with a view of the world and working its way backwards. The problem to me, as with most fortean phenomena, is that any source is always going to provide you with the evidence (which you take on faith to be accurately reported by those presenting it) that conforms to their argument and ignore anything that counters it. Its why there are 900 books and documentaries identifying a different Jack the Ripper and every one of them is utterly convincing...

So when it comes to the stuff i have no personal experience of I can only view in its broad terms and patterns. In this case that the experience of encountering impossible seeming craft in the sky is a thing that happens both frequently and widely in the world. The experience itself is a thing. I can concieve no explanation of incident A, B or C that would expunge the entire alphabet.

Face it, there are no aliens in our skies.
Atmospheric phenomenon? I don't think so. There are plenty of close-enough observations that show these objects appear to be a technology of some sort, and importantly under very intelligent control; their characteristics and tactics can be seen through all of the reports over the denturies. The only kind of cases you can try and pull an atmospheric phenomenon over, are the distant sightings, blurry photos, etc. If you've been reading the news recently, I'm perfectly certain that you, eventually, will have to face the fact that we are under observation by another intelligence with superior and very strange technologies.
Recently it was shown that the Pentagon is STILL studying UFOs, and is lying about it. It has already been suggested to be ET, in past studies by scientists, here in the US, and other places too. It never went away.

A Threat Unmet

Internet talking heads like to cast doubt on these accounts, proposing spurious theories of ghost aircraft lacking transponders lurking in restricted DoD airspace. Clearly they have not interviewed the pilots and radar operators who encountered these objects at close range. Had they done so, they would find no ambiguity, doubt or confusion. Fravor’s wingman told me, and Fravor agreed, “We didn’t stand a chance against it.” I cannot imagine Navy F-18 pilots saying that about any Russian or Chinese fighter. These sobering words from badass Navy combat pilots should be taken to heart by DoD officials and Congress.

Indeed, the radical and technologically superior nature of these craft is a common theme for Navy pilots on both coasts. In the famous “Gimbal” video posted by The New York Times, one of the pilots is heard to exclaim, “There’s a whole fleet of them out there!” He was referring to a V-shaped formation of smaller craft approaching the fighters as they observed a larger “mothership” in the video. At close range, these bizarre craft appear to be black cubes, the corners of which are touching the inside of transparent spheres a mere six feet in diameter. There are no discernable air inlets, exhaust, wings, or means of lift or propulsion, yet they have been tracked at supersonic speeds and seem able to remain aloft indefinitely. They could hardly be more strange and alien in appearance or behavior. Yet an obdurate DoD bureaucracy is making almost no effort to determine the origin of these craft or their means of propulsion.

If we knew for certain that the Russian or Chinese militaries had leapfrogged the United States technologically, there would be an uproar, much as there was when the Soviet Union launched Sputnik, the world’s first man-made satellite. Fearful of falling behind, the public grew restive and Congress promptly responded by increasing spending for NASA and bolstering science-education programs. These initiatives paid handsome dividends 11 years later when Neil Armstrong set foot on the moon, arriving courtesy not only of a new space vehicle but thousands of patented new technologies that strengthened U.S. industry and leadership in science and technology.

https://www.legion.org/magazine/248354/threat-unmet

Trump, Senators Have Been Briefed on UFO Sightings

Government officials are suddenly “coming out of the woodwork” to learn more about the Navy’s encounters with mysterious aircraft.

This week, three U.S. Senators were briefed by the Pentagon about the Navy reportedly encountering unidentified aircraft over the years—the latest group of government officials, including President Trump, to receive classified information about UFO sightings. The recent briefings and a renewed government interest in UFOs, as reported by Politico, begs the question: Why now?

As you’d expect, the information passed on by the Pentagon in the secret sessions is highly classified. But a spokesperson for one Senator involved in the meetings, Sen. Mark Warner (D-Va.), explained his intrigue and request for more intel.

“If naval pilots are running into unexplained interference the air, that’s a safety concern Senator Warner believes we need to get to the bottom of,” said his spokesperson, Rachel Cohen, in a statement. Warner is the current vice chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/research/a28119115/trump-senators-ufo-sighting/

I am surprised that the President was not briefed on this soon after he got into office.

Back