• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Everlasting Mystery Of Teaspoons

This turned up in the cutlery draw a couple of weeks ago. No idea where it has come from, its very shallow and about 6" long

A spoon for tea, rather than a teaspoon?
spoon.jpg

This turned up in the cutlery draw a couple of weeks ago. No idea where it has come from, its very shallow and about 6" long

A spoon for tea, rather than a teaspoon?View attachment 23369
Remember the design from my childhood. Grandma used it for sugar.

Tell your ghost you need the rest of the cutlery designed like this.

Last edited:
Not grapefruit. We had all manner of strange cutlery in cases when I was a kid. I think they were one or other of my grandparents originally. Sets of fish knives & forks, fancy teaspoons, & we had a set of grapefruit spoons. They were long, slender & curved in order to dig out segments when you'd halved the grapefruit.

Like this:

images

I'd say that's a jam or sugar spoon.

It could be the sort of design that is supposed to aerate the tea, thus improving its flavour perhaps? It's lovely anyway.

A spoon for tea, rather than a teaspoon?View attachment 23369

Looks a bit like what I call a scallop spoon, such as this one on Etsy (~£17.00) for jam:

"Unique Antique Spoon, Preserve Spoon, Scallop Bowl, Queens Pattern, Worn Silver Plate, Deakin and Francis, Small Serving Spoon"

spoon.jpg

We also had a special grapefruit knife which was serrated & curved, for cutting round the inside of the skin once you'd halved it. You then cut down each side of the pithy segments to make a scoopable item to extract with your special spoon.

Having very carefully considered (in a man like fashion) the possibility and logistics for several weeks/months of clearing the top of the kitchen cabinets, what should I find but a solitary teaspoon with it's handle jammed solidly behind the top of the cabinet. A failed attempt at escape perhaps?

I have thrice removed the fancy spoon from the cutlery draw to my special draw ( where things like birthday candles, syringes, cocktail sticks and mini sieves, live ) but it keeps migrating back. As only my partner and I live here and I don't really think it is a sentient spoon it must be the dog.

I have thrice removed the fancy spoon from the cutlery draw to my special draw ( where things like birthday candles, syringes, cocktail sticks and mini sieves, live ) but it keeps migrating back. As only my partner and I live here and I don't really think it is a sentient spoon it must be the dog.
Your dog can make a cup of tea? ..that's impressive ..

He has certain skills.

Having eliminated the possibility that it is spouse with spoon fetish and considered the impossible- sentient spoon, I am left with the improbable- dog is cleverer than he looks.

He has certain skills.

Having eliminated the possibility that it is spouse with spoon fetish and considered the impossible- sentient spoon, I am left with the improbable- dog is cleverer than he looks.
I dunno, I might go with the sentient spoon. It wants to be with the spoons. Is there any evidence of small animals carrying things around in your kitchen? We have to remember that you don't know where it appeared from to start with.

Well, its gone again. I was going to look for hallmark in case it was a posh weird spoon as Tribble suggested, but its not in either draw, or the sink.

I am a bit surprised at how blasé we are about sentient spoons, as if they have us under their thrall............

Well, its gone again. I was going to look for hallmark in case it was a posh weird spoon as Tribble suggested, but its not in either draw, or the sink.

I am a bit surprised at how blasé we are about sentient spoons, as if they have us under their thrall............
Rig up a video camera.

He has certain skills.

Can he drive?

His feet don't reach the pedals.
Spoon is back in cutlery draw, my daughter had borrowed it. That only explains one of its wanderings though. I will be undertaking random cutlery checks form now on.

I am back from Oz and slightly proud that my mysterious tea spoon thread is still running!

No more spoony weirdness to report, although I have, in the spirit of this thread, bought a teaspoon back from the T2 shop in Melbourne for my brother. I'm going to hide it somewhere in his house...

I am back from Oz and slightly proud that my mysterious tea spoon thread is still running!

No more spoony weirdness to report, although I have, in the spirit of this thread, bought a teaspoon back from the T2 shop in Melbourne for my brother. I'm going to hide it somewhere in his house...
Dont bother. Put it in the spoon drawer and stand back.

Unless it ran away with a dish...

I seem to be missing about half of my teaspoons and most of my forks.
The mug cupboard is looking pretty empty as well.
I have two teenagers living in the house.
Starting to think there is a link.

Check their bedrooms. I've got some Hazmat suits left over from when mine were teenagers, if you want to borrow one.

Back