• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19): Conspiracy Theories & Claims

Here's a happy thought. Ole mental Hurdygurdyman in Turkey has just unleashed 10's of thousand of people on the Turkey/Greece border. They've got no food or shelter and are an ideal breeding ground for this virus. Considering they come from all over the place, including countries with outbreaks of the virus, then it's quite possible that quite a few of them will be carriers. Considering that they've just been basically weaponised against Europe, then it follows that they could be a biological weapon in human form.

Then the island of Lesvos is in for a bad time; even worst than before.

Here's a happy thought. Ole mental Hurdygurdyman in Turkey has just unleashed 10's of thousand of people on the Turkey/Greece border. They've got no food or shelter and are an ideal breeding ground for this virus. Considering they come from all over the place, including countries with outbreaks of the virus, then it's quite possible that quite a few of them will be carriers. Considering that they've just been basically weaponised against Europe, then it follows that they could be a biological weapon in human form.
And that is why we close the borders!

And that is why we close the borders!
Yes it is. But now we've got one NATO member unleashing an attack on other NATO members. This virus is going to cause a lot more devastation than just killing people itself. I hate to say it but I think that there's going to be conflict coming to Europe in the near future.

Of course the virus didn't come from China, how dare you? — China.
https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/component/k2/1513028-20200307.htm

EDIT: Actually, the headline is somewhat editorialised. I think what the statement is saying is: 'we don't know if it originated in China or not, but that's beside the point and it shouldn't be used as an excuse to have a go at China'.

I think the pangolins are behind it and have been plotting it all along.
pangolin_3180820b-large_trans++pJliwavx4coWFCaEkEsb3kvxIt-lGGWCWqwLa_RXJU8.jpg
"Excellent!"

EDIT: Actually, the headline is somewhat editorialised. I think what the statement is saying is: 'we don't know if it originated in China or not, but that's beside the point and it shouldn't be used as an excuse to have a go at China'.
I've noticed this. The entire country of China doesn't take criticism well. They'd rather get all offended than admit they might be doing something wrong and have to change what they do. I guess it's that ol' 'face' thing.

There was a cold type illness going round my neck of the woods around October/November last year which generally manifested as an elevated temperature, muscle aches and a dry cough that persisted for weeks rather than the traditional cold and flu type symptoms. I had it as did nearly everyone in my social and work circles. In hindsight it looks suspiciously like the current COVID-19 illness given the list of symptoms they’re publicising.

Indeed. We had it going around here. Worst I've been with a cold/flu type thing for ages, and I have pretty strong immune system so rarely catch anything. If I do catch something I usually shake it off within 48 hours. This thing though, I was hot and cold, sore throat, coughing and spluttering for several days, then the cough developed into some sort of chest infection which seriously hung around me for a good three weeks, and then I continued to be a bit chesty for another couple of weeks after that.
I guess I should have seen a doctor really but I doubt whether that would have been much use besides the usual advice, so I took one and a half days off work when I was at my worst and watched daytime TV. That soon made me want to feel better.
I'm such an Englander.

I think the pangolins are behind it and have been plotting it all along.
pangolin_3180820b-large_trans++pJliwavx4coWFCaEkEsb3kvxIt-lGGWCWqwLa_RXJU8.jpg
"Excellent!"

The crazy thing is that China was still actively encouraging people to breed Pangolins, along with other exotic wildlife, for food until recently. Even though that thankfully seems now to have stopped, breeding these poor creatures for traditional (for that read bullshit) Chinese medicinal cures still continues.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/27/science/coronavirus-pangolin-wildlife-ban-china.html

The crazy thing is that China was still actively encouraging people to breed Pangolins, along with other exotic wildlife, for food until recently. Even though that thankfully seems now to have stopped, breeding these poor creatures for traditional (for that read bullshit) Chinese medicinal cures still continues.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/27/science/coronavirus-pangolin-wildlife-ban-china.html
Chinese medicine works fine.but doesnt have to include animal parts. The US trained docs have never used them. The traditionalists use plants. It has more to do with animistic superstition and "look how rich I am" behavior than actual medical practice.

Chinese medicine works fine.but doesnt have to include animal parts. The US trained docs have never used them. The traditionalists use plants. It has more to do with animistic superstition and "look how rich I am" behavior than actual medical practice.

Fair enough if they limit it to herbal remedies.
I don't feel that animal abuse, just because some ignorant savages believe it will help them get an erection, is acceptable behaviour or indeed a subject for light-hearted quips. Those who indulge in such barbarity deserve all the ridicule they get.

I've noticed this. The entire country of China doesn't take criticism well. They'd rather get all offended than admit they might be doing something wrong and have to change what they do. I guess it's that ol' 'face' thing.
Yeah I've noticed this. It's a weird nationalist reflex: have any issue with anything that happens in China, ever, and people are personally offended. I remember reading online comments for a guardian article about a (obviously, from the photos) malnourished bear in a zoo in China and Chinese commenters were really up in arms about the perceived insult to their persons that anyone could ever suggest that an animal, anywhere in their whole massive country, could ever be mistreated. Roll eyes.

Yeah I've noticed this. It's a weird nationalist reflex: have any issue with anything that happens in China, ever, and people are personally offended. I remember reading online comments for a guardian article about a (obviously, from the photos) malnourished bear in a zoo in China and Chinese commenters were really up in arms about the perceived insult to their persons that anyone could ever suggest that an animal, anywhere in their whole massive country, could ever be mistreated. Roll eyes.
This is why I say that China needs its own 'Glasnost'.

Fair enough if they limit it to herbal remedies.
I don't feel that animal abuse, just because some ignorant savages believe it will help them get an erection, is acceptable behaviour or indeed a subject for light-hearted quips. Those who indulge in such barbarity deserve all the ridicule they get.
Thd problem is not that they're ignorant, they believe that the world exists for their personal gratification. Just like people here. Interesting that it goes against teachings of both the principal belief systems in China. Just like what happens in the western world.

Why wouldn't some animals contain useful compounds? The problem is much of it is really just sympathetic magic, nothing substantial.

Why wouldn't some animals contain useful compounds? The problem is much of it is really just sympathetic magic, nothing substantial.
Yes, and you do too. I don't know if in the old days human parts were considered - heavens, what a grade B movie plot!

I read this and really couldn't find any problem with what was said.

Yes, the Chinese can be somewhat nationalistic. (I have heard this from other sources too). But so can many countries (including - I have been learning these past few years - my own).But if we just look at the content of the article - what's so wrong with it?

Yes, we don't know for sure that the virus started in China (the W.H.O itself says so).

Yes, it is absurd to ask China to `apologise` for the virus.

Yes, some people are using this to indulge in China-bashing and general Sinophobia.

I can add that China's standards of health and hygiene are no worse than many other countries that I could name. It is also true that they have contained the virus rather fast and the fatalities are going down in that country.

We're all in this together - and it is no time for finger wagging and point scoring. (A cliche - but never truer).

I'm not saying I believe it myself, but it would neatly explain why so many people in Iran seem to have it.
The reason infection is so high in Iran is that the first official reaction, which was not altered for a measurable time, is that God would take care of them. Another reason is that they did not take any action with regard to the holy city of Qom which is intensely crowded at all times by internal and foreign short-term visitors. One of the mainstream press printed an article on this by an Iranian doctor over the last week. In other words, they're in trouble because they deliberately did squat.

Last edited:
See all this talk about panic buying, is there really any truth to it?

Hang on...

https://news.sky.com/video/coronavirus-brawl-over-loo-roll-in-sydney-supermarket-11951615

Not ONE pack! No! None for you!

This is getting bizarre. Not one single government or medical campaign has made any reference to Coronavirus causing some epic case of The Runs. Yet people are hoovering up loo roll like they intend to spend the next 6 weeks shitting for England (or Australia in that clip).

Stop hoarding stuff you don't need! The hand sanitiser's all gone too. And it's not even the most efficient way of getting traces of the virus off your hands.

This Twitter thread was most interesting in that regard.

It would be a delicious irony if it is discovered that the virus did come from Pangolins (or some other endangered animal used in Chinese medicine/cuisine)

Over the years I've heard conspiracy theories how "THEY" (the authoritarians that enjoy exercising power over others) are looking to cull and increase control over the human population.

War, famine, disease; whether manufactured or naturally occurring, are used to increase fear among a drastically reduced population leading to the passing of more draconian laws... I'm sure I don't need to explain further.

The origin of the virus is of interest but, wherever it came from, how it is being used by "THEM" is perhaps more fascinating/worrying.

It would be a delicious irony if it is discovered that the virus did come from Pangolins (or some other endangered animal used in Chinese medicine/cuisine)

Over the years I've heard conspiracy theories how "THEY" (the authoritarians that enjoy exercising power over others) are looking to cull and increase control over the human population.

War, famine, disease; whether manufactured or naturally occurring, are used to increase fear among a drastically reduced population leading to the passing of more draconian laws... I'm sure I don't need to explain further.

The origin of the virus is of interest but, wherever it came from, how it is being used by "THEM" is perhaps more fascinating/worrying.

If Coronavirus were only killing ignorant tw@ts who believe Pangolin scales, Rhino horn or Tiger bones will improve their sex lives, or who like feasting on bat soup, then the virus would be doing the world a favour. Unfortunately though it is pretty indiscriminate in its effect and the innocent are suffering along with the guilty.

Back