• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Day Of The Animals: Tales Of Man Vs Beast (And Man Suffers)

I certainly don't want to see a study done on it. That would mean a lot of dead snakes for very little reason.

I agree entirely. Leave them alone and they'll leave you alone. I was amused to see that a hugely disproportionate number of rattler "victims" are drunk young males who were hunting rattlesnakes...

I can remember many years ago reading an account of some moron who went out for a stroll on a sunny heath in Britain in Victorian times, and was delighted to recount how many adders he had killed with his walking stick as they warmed themselves harmlessly in the sun. Twat.

maximus otter

I agree entirely. Leave them alone and they'll leave you alone. I was amused to see that a hugely disproportionate number of rattler "victims" are drunk young males who were hunting rattlesnakes...

I can remember many years ago reading an account of some moron who went out for a stroll on a sunny heath in Britain in Victorian times, and was delighted to recount how many adders he had killed with his walking stick as they warmed themselves harmlessly in the sun. Twat.

maximus otter

It was different back then, Maximus otter. Even when I think of the way we used to obedience train our dogs. It was brutal. We hit them when they got it wrong we isolated them when they disobeyed.

I remember this one woman who actually had a class that people payed to attend and this one lady could not get her dog to heal. The teacher/trainer took the dog, waked and said heal, when it didn't she took the lead/leash up onto her shoulder and pulled it until the dog was hanging and actually choking to death. She counted to 10 and let the dog down, looked him straight in the eyes and said, heal. He obeyed. :( My foster mother told us that story and she laughed as she recounted it.

I remember too many nightmarish tales about how animals were treated. People too.

I've heard of mongoose versus diamond back snake before, I didn't realise squirrels were this hard.

Decades ago I saw a mongoose vs cobra fight in Thailand. The mongoose was lightning fast and dispatched the snake in no time at all.

What calibre pistol did it use?

maximus otter

The Korth Mongoose is a revolver offered in 3”, 4”, 5.25”, or 6” barrel configurations. Chambered in .357 Magnum/ .38 Special, the cylinder holds six rounds of ammunition. It is also available with a unique interchangeable cylinder system that allows for .357 Magnum/.38 Special and 9mm, to be interchanged in a flash. The Mongoose provides a level of versatility not seen in any other revolver on the market. This is a revolver that harkens back to the days when a revolver was a hand-built piece of functioning art. The frame and all parts are fully machined from the finest billet steel available. The trigger face is high polished and the smooth action is something that will make a lasting impression to even the most experienced competition revolver shooter. Standard with black DLC finish, the superior craftsmanship and material are clearly evident.

https://www.nighthawkcustom.com/mongoose-357

Oh! Maxiumus Otter, that is sad.

As a child I was treated to the delight of seeing an animal lover (meaning cute and fluffy) chop up a slowworm I had innocently found them to see.

Oh! Maxiumus Otter, that is sad.

As a child I was treated to the delight of seeing an animal lover (meaning cute and fluffy) chop up a slowworm I had innocently found them to see.
Not an animal lover if they did that.

Edit: Hmmm. Aren't they a protected species? Really rare? A person could be prosecuted for that, these days.

From the same site, here's a heartwarming story of Odin the dog who was left behind in when his owner had to evacuate pronto in the California wildfires in 2017.

As the raging California wildfires encroached upon Roland Handel's home, he had to make a split-second decision — try to force his dog Odin into the car, or leave him behind.

Odin is one of two great Pyrenees who take turns guarding the family's eight goats from coyotes and mountain lions, and he was on duty the night the fires broke out.

"At night, Odin won't leave the goats," Handel told As It Happens host Carol Off. "When I approached, he sat down in front of the goats, and I know that look. He wasn't moving."

With flames racing towards his property, he said there was no time to load the goats into a trailer.

"By the time we were going down the road, you could hear the twisting metal of transmission towers falling and propane tanks exploding," Handel said. "I'll never forget it."

He returned the next day, circumventing roadblocks to get there.

He discovered that his home and everything else on his property was completely destroyed.

Except for Odin, who was there waiting for him — with all eight goats.

Odin ran up to him and showered him with kisses, he said. The dogs paw pads were burnt and his bright white fur was singed orange.

"He looked small and he was limping. He was lying down a lot. He was clearly exhausted."

A group of deer had gathered with Odin and the goats, Handel said, perhaps also taking advantage of the brave pooch's protection. The deer scattered when Handel approached.

He believes the dog led the other animals to a clearing at the centre of a high outcropping of rocks to avoid contact with the flames.

odin.JPG

From the same site, here's a heartwarming story of Odin the dog who was left behind in when his owner had to evacuate pronto in the California wildfires in 2017.

As the raging California wildfires encroached upon Roland Handel's home, he had to make a split-second decision — try to force his dog Odin into the car, or leave him behind.

Odin is one of two great Pyrenees who take turns guarding the family's eight goats from coyotes and mountain lions, and he was on duty the night the fires broke out.

odin.JPG

That made me cry. :violin:

he was on duty the night the fires broke out.

Loyalty is in their genes. By coincidence, I watched a Youtube video last week about a lady with a house full of these huge guardians. It seems they hope mainly to protect the herd by their sheer bulk - they are not aggressive dogs.

I knew one by his name, many years ago. Pancho was tethered and spent his days as a guard-dog, pathetically grateful for any treats or attention. How we wanted to take him with us, after our weekly visits! :(

Safety cat.

Footage from South Africa shows a leopard giving her cubs one of the most important lessons in a busy national park: how to cross the road.

The clip shows the leopard stepping onto the road at Kruger National Park to ensure the scene was safe. Then, once she determined no threat, the big cat fetched her two cubs. But one of the cubs needed a little more help than the other and cried out for its mother, as seen in the footage posted online by Latest Sightings: ...

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/leopard-cubs-cross-road_n_5ea658ffc5b6dd3f9086e10a

Safety cat.

Footage from South Africa shows a leopard giving her cubs one of the most important lessons in a busy national park: how to cross the road.

The clip shows the leopard stepping onto the road at Kruger National Park to ensure the scene was safe. Then, once she determined no threat, the big cat fetched her two cubs. But one of the cubs needed a little more help than the other and cried out for its mother, as seen in the footage posted online by Latest Sightings: ...

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/leopard-cubs-cross-road_n_5ea658ffc5b6dd3f9086e10a

They're such beautiful creatures. Why anyone would ever decide that they would look better as a rug in front of a fireplace remains a mystery to me.

The Dead Parrot Kvetch:

"Sale of defective parrot leads to B.C. lawsuit

There's legal precedent, and then there's Monty Python.

The two overlapped this week when a British Columbia small claims court sided with a Salt Spring Island resident who sued another man for allegedly selling him a defective parrot.

iu

An Eclectus parrot. (Not dead).

According to the Civil Resolution Tribunal decision, Michael Davy said he noticed the parrot — Tiberius — was missing a few tail feathers when he bought it but was told the bird was only "molting and had clipped wings but was otherwise healthy."

But to paraphrase one of the British comedy troupe's most beloved sketches, in which an irate customer confronts a shopkeeper who sold him a dead parrot — the plumage didn't enter into it.

Tiberius should have had a life expectancy of up to 40 years. Davy soon learned he had a fatal disease and — in fact — faced the prospect of becoming an ex-parrot in a just a fraction of that time.

"I find that there was an implied warranty in the parties' contract that Tiberius would be healthy for at least six months," wrote tribunal member Julie Gibson. "Instead, Tiberius became very ill within weeks of the applicant's purchase."

And he wasn't just pining for the fjords.

A veterinarian diagnosed Tiberius with psittacine beak and feather disease (PBFD), "an extremely contagious and lethal virus" that is usually contracted "from a contaminated environment or directly from an infected bird."

Even with medication he had between "weeks and several years to live."

Davy paid Akhtar Kidwai $2,100 for Tiberius.

Gibson did find that B.C.'s Sale of Goods Act applied to the parrot's purchase. The law carries an "implied warranty" that a "good will be durable for a reasonable period having regard to the use to which it would normally be put and to all the surrounding circumstances."

Given the life expectancy of the average Eclectus parrot, Gibson said Davy had every right to expect Tiberius to be healthy for at least six months after buying the bird.

She found that Davy had received some "benefit" from owning Tiberius — awarding him 75 per cent of the purchase price as a refund.

Gibson also ordered Kidwai to pay Davy's veterinary bills, bringing the total award to just under $1,900.

The judgment does not specify the current state of Tiberius's health.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/parrot-lawsuit-civil-dispute-1.5544536

"There is no word on whether the Pet Shop owner ripped off his jacket, exposing a flannel shirt and sang about how his life’s goal was to be a lumberjack who “cut down trees. I wear high heels, suspenders, and a bra.” And wishes, “I’d been a girlie, Just like my dear Papa." "

https://lidblog.com/monty-python-dead-parrot/

maximus otter

The Dead Parrot Kvetch:

"Sale of defective parrot leads to B.C. lawsuit

There's legal precedent, and then there's Monty Python.

The two overlapped this week when a British Columbia small claims court sided with a Salt Spring Island resident who sued another man for allegedly selling him a defective parrot.

iu

An Eclectus parrot. (Not dead).

According to the Civil Resolution Tribunal decision, Michael Davy said he noticed the parrot — Tiberius — was missing a few tail feathers when he bought it but was told the bird was only "molting and had clipped wings but was otherwise healthy."

But to paraphrase one of the British comedy troupe's most beloved sketches, in which an irate customer confronts a shopkeeper who sold him a dead parrot — the plumage didn't enter into it.

Tiberius should have had a life expectancy of up to 40 years. Davy soon learned he had a fatal disease and — in fact — faced the prospect of becoming an ex-parrot in a just a fraction of that time.

"I find that there was an implied warranty in the parties' contract that Tiberius would be healthy for at least six months," wrote tribunal member Julie Gibson. "Instead, Tiberius became very ill within weeks of the applicant's purchase."

And he wasn't just pining for the fjords.

A veterinarian diagnosed Tiberius with psittacine beak and feather disease (PBFD), "an extremely contagious and lethal virus" that is usually contracted "from a contaminated environment or directly from an infected bird."

Even with medication he had between "weeks and several years to live."

Davy paid Akhtar Kidwai $2,100 for Tiberius.

Gibson did find that B.C.'s Sale of Goods Act applied to the parrot's purchase. The law carries an "implied warranty" that a "good will be durable for a reasonable period having regard to the use to which it would normally be put and to all the surrounding circumstances."

Given the life expectancy of the average Eclectus parrot, Gibson said Davy had every right to expect Tiberius to be healthy for at least six months after buying the bird.

She found that Davy had received some "benefit" from owning Tiberius — awarding him 75 per cent of the purchase price as a refund.

Gibson also ordered Kidwai to pay Davy's veterinary bills, bringing the total award to just under $1,900.

The judgment does not specify the current state of Tiberius's health.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/parrot-lawsuit-civil-dispute-1.5544536

"There is no word on whether the Pet Shop owner ripped off his jacket, exposing a flannel shirt and sang about how his life’s goal was to be a lumberjack who “cut down trees. I wear high heels, suspenders, and a bra.” And wishes, “I’d been a girlie, Just like my dear Papa." "

https://lidblog.com/monty-python-dead-parrot/

maximus otter

The Eclectus Parrot is known for its extreme sexual dimorphism. Here is a photo of a male and female together.

Eclectus_roratus-20030511.jpg

Dutch cattle pop clogs in wolf attacks.

Wolves are believed to have killed four Highland cattle calves on a Dutch nature reserve in the Brabant region of the Netherlands close to Belgium.

The one-year-old calves had their throats bitten and their organs eaten in a method of killing which is typical of wolves. The killings occurred on the Kievitsloop reserve near the De Groote Peel National Park over the past three weeks

“I didn’t know the wolf was so active here,” said Jos Leenders, the farmer, whose herd of 150 traditional Highland cattle keeps grass down on the region’s nature reserves. DNA tests will confirm whether wolves were to blame. Local farmers are concerned that more livestock will be lost in the coming weeks.

At least 165 sheep were killed by wolves in the Netherlands in 2018 but there have not been any confirmed sightings in the area of the latest attacks.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/...lf-attacks-after-cattle-deaths-zj02j2925?t=ie

Last edited:
A rare bit of news.

A 57-year-old man has died and two people have been injured following a water buffalo attack in Wales, police have said.

A 19-year-old man was critically injured and a 22-year-old woman suffered a serious leg injury following the incident in Gwehelog, Monmouthshire.

A statement from Gwent Police said: "We received a report of an incident at a commercial property in Gwehelog, Monmouthshire, at around 2.50pm on Tuesday, after two men and a woman were attacked by a water buffalo."

https://news.sky.com/story/man-dies...g-attacked-by-water-buffalo-in-wales-11983680

Back