• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Forum Functions & Functionality: Technical Problems & Known Issues

... If it is a dynamic IP address problem thingy, is there anything I can do at my end about it?

Using wifi is undoubtedly part of the cause for your IP turbulence. To the extent it's the cause it could well be alleviated by switching to the cable connection. However ...

There's a significant likelihood there's other juggling / shifting occurring between your home setup and the forum server, and nothing you do at home is likely to affect this intermediate juggling.

For the record ... You're recorded as arriving / connecting from 14 different IP addresses during the last 7 days.

Using wifi is undoubtedly part of the cause for your IP turbulence. To the extent it's the cause it could well be alleviated by switching to the cable connection. However ...

There's a significant likelihood there's other juggling / shifting occurring between your home setup and the forum server, and nothing you do at home is likely to affect this intermediate juggling.

Okay... many thanks for your (and other mods) help with this, I appreciate the effort and time when you have lots of other stuff to deal with.

In that case I shall put up with it until/unless I can situate myself closer to the router (and therefore plug myself in).

For the record ... You're recorded as arriving / connecting from 14 different IP addresses during the last 7 days.

That is something that only a Schrodinger's Zebra can achieve. ;)

Okay... many thanks for your (and other mods) help with this, I appreciate the effort and time when you have lots of other stuff to deal with.

In that case I shall put up with it until/unless I can situate myself closer to the router (and therefore plug myself in).

That is something that only a Schrodinger's Zebra can achieve. ;)

And no one can tell until they look. ;)

Not a tech problem but how do i paste a link into a post? From fb and i have it in an email. Thx

If you have it in the form of a valid URL (web address) such as:

https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...blems-known-issues.64966/page-19#post-1948667
(The URL for your post above)

You can simply paste the URL into the body of your post. Your post will display the raw URL, automatically ready for use.

If you want to hot-link a title or phrase for the link (e.g., hot-link using the title "CLICK HERE"):

- Click on the link (chain) icon in the post text entry area.
- Enter the URL and the Text.

If you have it in the form of a valid URL (web address) such as:

https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...blems-known-issues.64966/page-19#post-1948667
(The URL for your post above)

You can simply paste the URL into the body of your post. Your post will display the raw URL, automatically ready for use.

If you want to hot-link a title or phrase for the link (e.g., hot-link using the title "CLICK HERE"):

- Click on the link (chain) icon in the post text entry area.
- Enter the URL and the Text.
I dont see a paste button in the reply area.

I dont see a paste button in the reply area.

There's no separate paste button. You simply copy the URL and insert it using whatever paste command your computer / device provides.

There's no separate paste button. You simply copy the URL and insert it using whatever paste command your computer / device provides.

Screenshot 2020-04-02 at 01.56.12.png

To paste on a Windows machine, it's Ctrl+v.

Is there any reason that I can't edit one of my own posts on the Humour and Jokes thread?
The Edit option is not available.

Is there any reason that I can't edit one of my own posts on the Humour and Jokes thread?

Post a link to the specific post here, please.

When did you initially post it? Members are only given a limited timespan in which to edit a post.

When did you initially post it? Members are only given a limited timespan in which to edit a post.
Ah. OK, it was a few days back. Guess that explains it.
Not important - I just wanted to add a note to it, but really it's not important.

A quick Q. re video embedding, video media from Facebook no longer embeds in BB code, it now converts to this format

Screenshot_2020-04-24 Staying Strong In COVID-19 Conditions (Tips; Suggestions; Advice).png

Just wondering if there is any work-around to this? Many thanks :)

A quick Q. re video embedding, video media from Facebook no longer embeds in BB code, it now converts to this format
Just wondering if there is any work-around to this? Many thanks :)

No.

Media embedding is enabled on our end. However, the remote media content source decides whether they will "forward" the media content in response to a "call" (link) within a post here.

Cloud Flare problems? DDOS attack?

Clues, please ... Are you responding to something earlier, or are you reporting something new? :dunno:

Clues, please ... Are you responding to something earlier, or are you reporting something new? :dunno:
Got a message from Cloud Flare when trying to update the frontpage. I do not remember the Error message of course, but they couldn't reach forums.forteana.org. Might be a problem with the top domain, not the forum. I updated again after one minute, then it was back.

I'm having trouble - the forum is so slow. It takes ages to load or switch between pages. Some pages fail to load at all. Logging in or out takes forever. It started about 3 days ago.

Other sites and web activity are as normal.

Edit: I got a Oops! message about needing to allow cookies which I do anyway. So I cleared them and logged in again, everything seems better now.

Edit 2: Logging in and out still stalls or take ages. Navigating around the site is quicker but still slower than normal.

Last edited:
I haven't experienced, nor can I replicate, the slow-down behaviors you're describing.

There was a transient excess connections error logged circa 15.5 hours ago, but there've been no signs of breakdowns / outages since then.

Incoming traffic has been higher than normal today, but not high enough to noticeably slow or bog down the server or the forum.

Last edited:
It's very intermittent. Posting is as fast as normal but switching from one forum to another is taking ages.

I'm having problems with my internet connection tonight, but when it's working the site is at normal speed, if that's any help.

There may be an underlying problem relating to the 'Net at large and international connections. All 3 of you are operating from 3 separate European locations and ISPs.

It may have always been like this, and I've just never registered the fact - but is the ability to edit our posts disabled after a while? If so, how long? Has it always been that way?

Just out of interest really; it's not an issue - but I've been trawling through some old threads and posts, finding the odd howler on the way, and only now noticed that I can't rectify.

It may have always been like this, and I've just never registered the fact - but is the ability to edit our posts disabled after a while? If so, how long? Has it always been that way?

Just out of interest really; it's not an issue - but I've been trawling through some old threads and posts, finding the odd howler on the way, and only now noticed that I can't rectify.

Yes, there's a limit--has been for a long time (years).

A) It stops spammers playing with hijacked accounts or perverting placeholder posts.

B) It stops the extremely annoying 'I deleted all my posts and destroyes multiple threads' flounces.

Off the top of my head, I can't recall the cut-off period.

I'm happy to make any edits you send to me by PM.

Back