• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Mystery 'Lost' Items

I guarantee you have already found the certificate but didn't recognise it.

Usually turns out to be like that but I have now put in order my shameful slush-pile of unsorted paper-work but the Certificate is not there!

One clue is that the previous year's Certificate is also AWOL. Filed together for safe-keeping? I think I have tracked down all recent locations where a further pile of papers could be lurking. As proof of being insured, I have the record of my Direct Debits and the renewal notice.

Earlier in the year, a lot of school-related bumf went to the tip. I hardly see how it could have got in there. :dunno:

I've always been able to get duplicate documents from insurance agents when I needed them. That sort of thing can go missing very easily. The people at the insurance offices seem to provide them routinely. "Oh sure. How many do you need?"

The older I get, the more creative I get at hiding things in safe places. I found a stash of credit cards in a tool box a while back, all long expired. Oh, yeah, that's where I put those.

Maybe you remember it as white when it's actually green or it's in an envelope with something else that's slightly connected to it like a garage receipt.
This is how I lose and find crucial documents.

I just file my crucial documents in a file cabinet, and then forget what I labeled the file folders they're in.

Ageing rapidly and having more time on my hands than is probably good for me, I now have a huge stack of box files for filing stuff away. All are titled in gigantic lettering so I can tell what they are for. I now make it priority to file documents away and I have to say it's been useful when banks and other institutions start talking nonsense and I can produce the relevant stuff. Ms Petes though in entirely girly fashion throws everything into a huge pile and calls that organized. I despair....

I strongly-suspect that physical possession of a paper insurance certificate is no longer required, in this newer world of onlinedness.

Light has dawned on the mystery. I don't think Certificates have been issued by my insurers for the last couple of years.

Digging out the V11, I see that I did not need to present any Certificate of Insurance at the post office, just the MOT, when I paid the vehicle tax. I had forgotten that!

Where that leaves the parking authority's demand for one, I don't know.

The frustrations of the search for something which probably never existed had one bonus: I put the slush-pile in order! :rolleyes:

Light has dawned on the mystery. I don't think Certificates have been issued by my insurers for the last couple of years.
I'm with Direct Line. They still issue a paper certificate.
You may have to download your cert from your insurer and print off your own copy.

I nearly recently had my car insurance cancelled because they asked me to provide my log book, proof of no claims bonus, and my driving licence, and I had difficulty doing it.

Don't have log book because it's a lease car, old insurer kept promising to provide no claims bonus proof but didn't, and I could not find my driver's licence (current one, of course I had the old one with my previous address on it) for the life of me.

To cut a long story short, I found ways around the first two, but there was nothing to be done about the driver's licence but apply for a new one. Which I managed to do on a website other than the official government one because sometimes I'm so dumb, it hurts. This cost me seventy odd quid (yes, I know) and then I paid for one off the official gov site too.

To make matters even more expensive, I was only renewing my insurance because my previous insurer had cancelled my policy because my bank card had expired and I didn't respond to their letters. I didn't respond to their letters because I had forgotten to update them with my new address, and the letters were being sent to my old address, until the guy who bought our old house brought them around one day.

Of course the insurers had my email address and my mobile phone number, but I guess using either of those was too much bother for them.

I now have to declare to every new car insurer I use that yes, I once had my insurance cancelled by a previous insurer, and according to every one and her dog, this will bump my prices up.

Tldr: car insurance is a rip-off

Ageing rapidly and having more time on my hands than is probably good for me, I now have a huge stack of box files for filing stuff away. All are titled in gigantic lettering so I can tell what they are for. I now make it priority to file documents away and I have to say it's been useful when banks and other institutions start talking nonsense and I can produce the relevant stuff. Ms Petes though in entirely girly fashion throws everything into a huge pile and calls that organized. I despair....
Like Ms Pete's, I too favour the one pile organisation system for important letters/documents but have taken it up a few notches by having several piles all in different cupboards and drawers! It's always leads to hours of stressful, frenzied searching and my home ends up looking as though I've suffered a paper tsunami and I end up sat on the kitchen floor amid in a sea of paperwork crying! Now where is my bank statement........

in my experience, many insurers now do not send out certificates of insurance, BUT i have always found that they require you to fill out your details on their site and from there on you can access your documents and print off as necessary - check your old emails

Something very odd!
After walking the dogs a couple of days ago I took my hat and gloves off and left them on the hall table, as did the wife.
Yesterday our springer pup pulled them off and ran off with one of her gloves. She took it off him, picked the other items off the floor to find one of my gloves had disappeared. We searched high and low but couldn’t find it.
We put my remaining glove, our two hats and my wifes gloves on a shelf thinking the missing one would turn up in some obscure place We hadn’t thought to look in.
I got out of bed this morning and saw my missing glove was sitting on top of the hats. I asked the wife where she found it to which she replied that she hadn't. It was missing when we went to bed last night and had reappeared on a high shelf by this morning.
I had a couple of glasses of wine last night but didn’t have enough to cause short term memory loss and forget I had found the missing glove.

Something very odd!
After walking the dogs a couple of days ago I took my hat and gloves off and left them on the hall table, as did the wife.
Yesterday our springer pup pulled them off and ran off with one of her gloves. She took it off him, picked the other items off the floor to find one of my gloves had disappeared. We searched high and low but couldn’t find it.
We put my remaining glove, our two hats and my wifes gloves on a shelf thinking the missing one would turn up in some obscure place We hadn’t thought to look in.
I got out of bed this morning and saw my missing glove was sitting on top of the hats. I asked the wife where she found it to which she replied that she hadn't. It was missing when we went to bed last night and had reappeared on a high shelf by this morning.
I had a couple of glasses of wine last night but didn’t have enough to cause short term memory loss and forget I had found the missing glove.
Obvious, really. You have a smart dog.

This thread has jogged my memory of something that I think happened in the mid-90's. I was standing in my bedroom putting my debit card into my purse but fumbled it. I saw a quick flash of it as it fell and heard it land. My bedroom was tiny as it had been meant to be used as a sewing room when the house was built, so there were only a finite number of places it could possibly be. I moved my bed, desk, etc. searching for it. Eventually I moved and the room was used as storage, but still no debit card. Finally the house was sold and the room totally emptied. It never turned up. Maybe it ended up in a parallel dimension bedroom.

When my oldest two were young they wanted to share a bedroom.
Everything was moved out of one room into the other which was bigger.
Unfortunately one school shoe was missing and we couldn't find it anywhere so had to buy another pair.
Quite some time later I opened the door to that room, and there, in the middle of the floor was the missing shoe.

For most of the 90's I lived in a house that was haunted by a ghostly cat. There seemed to be no other kind of ghostly activity there aside from it's frequent appearance but once thing that did happen with regularity was cigarette lighters mysteriously vanishing and reappearing in unusual places.
Being a smoker at the time, there were two ashtrays in the house and cigarette packets along with our lighters were always kept alongside them.
We used to buy lighters (Bic brand) in a twin pack and you'd get one blue one and one red one. Without fail, it was always the red one that would vanish for a day or two and then be discovered on a desk, a windowsill, the bathroom... anywhere except where it ought to be.
We just found it amusing.

I have lost A Sock.

It's a brand new sock, worn once. I intended to wear it again, as I'd only worn it briefly (with its partner) around the house. I took it (and its partner) off and they were left with the clothes I was going to wear on a small table outside the bathroom. Now it's gone. I've been giving the dog Big Significant Looks, but she's not really that sort of beast, and there's no trace of it.

I am now wearing odd socks.

I have lost A Sock.

It's a brand new sock, worn once. I intended to wear it again, as I'd only worn it briefly (with its partner) around the house. I took it (and its partner) off and they were left with the clothes I was going to wear on a small table outside the bathroom. Now it's gone. I've been giving the dog Big Significant Looks, but she's not really that sort of beast, and there's no trace of it.

You need to buy your socks in threes. That way you'll always have a pair and a spare!

...worn once. I intended to wear it again, as I'd only worn it briefly...

It’s C-19 quarantine: Like the rest of us, you haven’t showered, changed clothes or brushed your teeth in weeks. Your dog screwed up her courage to dump Heinous Sock One outside; she’s now waiting until the retching subsides before discarding the other.

maximus otter

I think you should assess your personal security!!!!!!! :eek:

Look at what happened to Henry Baskerville! Staying in a hotel in London, boots out for the staff to clean overnight..... boot goes missing.

It was a NEW boot and hadn't picked up enough scent to train The Hound...

I suggest you avoid places like moorlands and swamps :)

I keep having the phenomena where on the day I find something that has been missing for days or weeks, sometimes months, I also lose a thing. Oddly when I find these things its often in a fairly obvious place and I should not have had to spend so much effort trying to find it.

I keep having the phenomena where on the day I find something that has been missing for days or weeks, sometimes months, I also lose a thing. Oddly when I find these things its often in a fairly obvious place and I should not have had to spend so much effort trying to find it.
Sounds familiar. In fact, I am spending some of this lockdown time on organising my stuff so completely and obviously that this will stop happening.

Of course, I've tried to do this a few times before and... *starts to weep softly*

It's them bloody Borrowers again. Ask them to stop it and fuck off.

I have lost A Sock.

There are several possible solutions as suggested above.
1. Your dog is actually guilty. Here is supporting documentation:
https://tractive.com/blog/en/good-to-know/why-do-dogs-steal-socks
2. Another dog is guilty:
The Sock of the Baskrvilles.jpg
or 3. It's the cat's fault:
pink sock.jpg

It’s C-19 quarantine: Like the rest of us, you haven’t showered, changed clothes or brushed your teeth in weeks. Your dog screwed up her courage to dump Heinous Sock One outside; she’s now waiting until the retching subsides before discarding the other.

maximus otter

Unfortunately, Otter, I am one of the few, we very few, who are still going to work on a regular basis. (Actually, this doesn't rule out any of the above, but I have STANDARDS, donchaknow...)

Yesterday an old bottle of nail varnish appeared in the middle of the bathroom floor. Even though daughter has her own en suite, I assumed it was hers. It wasn't. It doesn't belong to anybody here.

Decades ago I had a cat who insisted on bringing stuff home for us. Not any wildlife, but weird things, one of which was a bottle of nail varnish. I can only imagine she got these things from the old fashioned type dustbins the lids of which were easy for cats to dislodge. She brought home shoes, socks, paper back books hair brushes and the like. All the neighbours always denied that they were missing anything. She did this her entire life of over 20 years.

Decades ago I had a cat who insisted on bringing stuff home for us. Not any wildlife, but weird things, one of which was a bottle of nail varnish. I can only imagine she got these things from the old fashioned type dustbins the lids of which were easy for cats to dislodge. She brought home shoes, socks, paper back books hair brushes and the like. All the neighbours always denied that they were missing anything. She did this her entire life of over 20 years.
That's actually very cute!

One of ours - Dougal The Fine Animal - managed to get a mouse through the cat flap, across the dining room, up the stairs and into our bedroom.

We were awakened not by squeaking or that carrying-something-yowl, but by an odd clunking noise.

The mouse was in a mouse trap and best we could tell the noise was him bounding it off the skirting board.

As above, all neighbours denied missing a mouse trap. He was a Fine Animal!

One of ours - Dougal The Fine Animal - managed to get a mouse through the cat flap, across the dining room, up the stairs and into our bedroom.

We were awakened not by squeaking or that carrying-something-yowl, but by an odd clunking noise.

The mouse was in a mouse trap and best we could tell the noise was him bounding it off the skirting board.

As above, all neighbours denied missing a mouse trap. He was a Fine Animal!
Chico used to bring me back live rats all the time bless him and once, a few years ago I was awoken by a black bird tapping on the window, when I looked I saw the bird was inside tapping to get out, he was unharmed and could only of been brought in through the cat flap, I let the bird out and before he flew off he stopped on the edge, looked at me and chirped -- I think he was saying "cheers for that" ( or your cats a twat ).

Back