• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

A Bigfoot (Moehau Man) In New Zealand?

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
The Kiwi version of Bigfoot /Sasquatch is known as the ''Moehau Man''.

If we make the assumption that such creatures exist in parts of the world, could one exist undiscovered in a place as geographically small as New Zealand? I doubt it, but someone thinks so...

nz.png

Is This New Zealand's Bigfoot?

This is from a zoomed in cropped picture I took when I was doing field research last year. I was reviewing my canon SLR photos and found something strange in a photo taken in a ravine where I get strange interaction. This area is closed/restricted to the general public.
https://hauntedman.net/2020/05/01/is-this-new-zealands-bigfoot/

More on this: https://hauntedman.net/2018/04/20/new-zealands-mighty-moehau-man-bigfoot-my-awakening/

The Kiwi version of Bigfoot /Sasquatch is known as the ''Moehau Man''.

If we make the assumption that such creatures exist in parts of the world, could one exist undiscovered in a place as geographically small as New Zealand? I doubt it, but someone thinks so...

View attachment 26181

Is This New Zealand's Bigfoot?

https://hauntedman.net/2020/05/01/is-this-new-zealands-bigfoot/

More on this: https://hauntedman.net/2018/04/20/new-zealands-mighty-moehau-man-bigfoot-my-awakening/

The thing is there are parts of NZ that have never been explored as they are close to being impossible to get too. I get though it would a struggle to have a survivable population.

The picture needs a red circle to show me what I am meant to be seeing.

Cropped and adjusted images take on a life of their own.

Many years ago I saw such an image which the taker said was of a young bigfoot in an urban environment in California. I politely pm'd them and asked to see the original, uncropped image. The bigfoot-shaped darkness turned out to be an everyday natural shadow that was on a shed in a garden. It was wilful self-delusion of high order.

All I see is a bit of foliage and undergrowth. Have to agree on the "fooling yourself" angle others have gone with here.

All I see is a bit of foliage and undergrowth. Have to agree on the "fooling yourself" angle others have gone with here.

I agree. It's just a shadow in some rain forest. As @Naughty_Felid said above, there are some inhospitable places in New Zealand but they certainly couldn't sustain a population of large creatures, certainly not ones yet undiscovered.

With things like helicopters and humanity's general ability to travel, any area that's extremely difficult to get to is also going to be extremely difficult to live in.

I see trees.

Some are similar and some are different.

(What happened to the Moose, BTW?)

The picture needs a red circle to show me what I am meant to be seeing.
It took me a while but I think it is meant to be the dark patch behind the leaves on the left of the photo. Not the greatest paradolia in the world!

What about the UK?

They are generally referred to as a The a Great British Public.

If NZ has Bigfoots then why not Nessies or Pterodactyls or Mokele Mbembes? Why can't every country have every cryptid? I bet Luxembourg and the Vatican have a shit ton of sea serpents.

They are generally referred to as a The a Great British Public.

If NZ has Bigfoots then why not Nessies or Pterodactyls or Mokele Mbembes? Why can't every country have every cryptid? I bet Luxembourg and the Vatican have a shit ton of sea serpents.

They have Taniwha, which isn't seen very often these days but in the past were. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taniwha

The photo at the top of the thread is definitely just a simulacrum. Indeed, the outline is given extra apparent highlights by what are obviously leaves in the foreground.

I would say more of a critical nature, but I wouldn't want to be accused of using an ad hominin argument. (Fetches coat.)

A quick Wikipedia search shows that New Zealand has 10% more land area than the UK and 6% of the population density. Depending on size, diet, behaviour and habitat, I do not see it as impossible that new Zealand could be the home to a viable population of unknown hominins. An intelligent creature that made no lasting structures, did not use fire, and wished to avoid detection would have a fair chance of escaping notice.

However, I consider it unlikely that such an unknown species, if it exists at all, would be as physically large as "bigfoots" tend to be described.

...I do not see it as impossible that new Zealand could be the home to a viable population of unknown hominins.

I consider it unlikely that such an unknown species, if it exists at all, would be as physically large as "bigfoots".

iu

Thems does has big foots.

maximus otter

The photo at the top of the thread is definitely just a simulacrum. Indeed, the outline is given extra apparent highlights by what are obviously leaves in the foreground.

I would say more of a critical nature, but I wouldn't want to be accused of using an ad hominin argument. (Fetches coat.)

A quick Wikipedia search shows that New Zealand has 10% more land area than the UK and 6% of the population density. Depending on size, diet, behaviour and habitat, I do not see it as impossible that new Zealand could be the home to a viable population of unknown hominins. An intelligent creature that made no lasting structures, did not use fire, and wished to avoid detection would have a fair chance of escaping notice.

However, I consider it unlikely that such an unknown species, if it exists at all, would be as physically large as "bigfoots" tend to be described.

Trouble is that NZ split from other landmasses before mammals could colonize it. They have marine mammals and bats but other than that its just stuff humans brought with them. Its not like North America where there was a land bridge in the ice age for them to cross.

Trouble is that NZ split from other landmasses before mammals could colonize it. They have marine mammals and bats but other than that its just stuff humans brought with them. Its not like North America where there was a land bridge in the ice age for them to cross.

Would you give any credence to Waitoreke?

Fair point. I hadn't thought of that.

Maybe lizard men then? No? Not even shape shifting ones?

Fair point. I hadn't thought of that.

Maybe lizard men then? No? Not even shape shifting ones?
Well maybe the world's largest gecko, Delcourt's giant gecko. Also quite alot of seaserpent sightings and an outside chance of a small moa surviving.

Back