• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Contact From Beyond The Grave? (IHTM)

Neilsthings

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I lost my mother 10 years ago. I ‘ve never mentioned what follows to anyone. I live by a canal in a semi-rural location. A few days after her death I went out for the evening, walking along the tow-path into my local town to meet friends. I would have left home about 7pm and as I went I remember looking up at the stars and saying out loud ‘Give me a sign, Mum, that you are around and that you’re alright.’ I returned home at about 10:30pm that evening …. to find a mound of fresh grass cuttings - standing about 2 feet high - placed directly outside my front gate. We don’t live near other houses, we have no neighbours, so for years I have asked myself how could these cuttings have got there? The tow-path is cut by a landscape company but a) not in the evening when dark and b) I can’t for a moment imagine they would place a pile of cuttings right outside my gate. I recall that I had grass cuttings in my own garden but these would have inaccessible to anyone. So, was this my mother’s response to my request earlier that evening?

Last year I lost my younger brother. He battled against cancer and at some point in the weeks leading up to his death, I again asked my mother to let me know that she was around and would be waiting for him when he died. Within a couple of hours the kettle in our office kitchen turned itself on and started to boil. This happened a couple more times, both after I had ‘spoken’ to my mum - and to the extent that my colleagues started calling it the ‘ghost kettle.’ I didn’t mention anything to them about my calling out to my mother, and since my brother died it has never again turned itself on. I should add that I examined the kettle after it’s self-starting and could find no obvious or apparent reason for it to do this.

In September last year, three months after my brother’s death, my father and I visited a favourite bed and breakfast house in Somerset that my brother and I had enjoyed going to for many years. Unsurprisingly, it was hard being there without him but, as the few days away had been booked before he died, I had promised him that I make that annual trip down to Somerset and that I’d take our father with me. Whilst reading in bed one night, the television turned itself on. A small thing and one which was not repeated during our stay there. Again, I wonder if this was my brother trying to let me know he was with us, and if those who have passed are able to direct their energy through electrical appliances? I took great comfort from these experiences and wonder if anyone else has experienced anything like this?

Thank you for that interesting first post, and welcome to the board!

I am sorry that you have lost both your mother and brother and I'm sure we all appreciate hearing your very personal accounts of what happened afterwards.

We love to read about this type of incident and we have whole threads about them which you might enjoy reading.
Nothing wrong with a new thread, of course!

Thank you for that interesting first post, and welcome to the board!

I am sorry that you have lost both your mother and brother and I'm sure we all appreciate hearing your very personal accounts of what happened afterwards.

We love to read about this type of incident and we have whole threads about them which you might enjoy reading.
Nothing wrong with a new thread, of course!

My pleasure!

Dive in, you'll have fun. If you fancy the 'messages from the dead' themes you could try searching for 'Dreaming of the Dead' and 'Phone Call from the Dead' for a start. We also have a thread on whether robins are messengers from Beyond and at least one on general signs from the dead, which I can't find just now.

On my way out to work so good luck!

I lost my mother 10 years ago. I ‘ve never mentioned what follows to anyone. I live by a canal in a semi-rural location. A few days after her death I went out for the evening, walking along the tow-path into my local town to meet friends. I would have left home about 7pm and as I went I remember looking up at the stars and saying out loud ‘Give me a sign, Mum, that you are around and that you’re alright.’ I returned home at about 10:30pm that evening …. to find a mound of fresh grass cuttings - standing about 2 feet high - placed directly outside my front gate. We don’t live near other houses, we have no neighbours, so for years I have asked myself how could these cuttings have got there? The tow-path is cut by a landscape company but a) not in the evening when dark and b) I can’t for a moment imagine they would place a pile of cuttings right outside my gate. I recall that I had grass cuttings in my own garden but these would have inaccessible to anyone. So, was this my mother’s response to my request earlier that evening?

Last year I lost my younger brother. He battled against cancer and at some point in the weeks leading up to his death, I again asked my mother to let me know that she was around and would be waiting for him when he died. Within a couple of hours the kettle in our office kitchen turned itself on and started to boil. This happened a couple more times, both after I had ‘spoken’ to my mum - and to the extent that my colleagues started calling it the ‘ghost kettle.’ I didn’t mention anything to them about my calling out to my mother, and since my brother died it has never again turned itself on. I should add that I examined the kettle after it’s self-starting and could find no obvious or apparent reason for it to do this.

In September last year, three months after my brother’s death, my father and I visited a favourite bed and breakfast house in Somerset that my brother and I had enjoyed going to for many years. Unsurprisingly, it was hard being there without him but, as the few days away had been booked before he died, I had promised him that I make that annual trip down to Somerset and that I’d take our father with me. Whilst reading in bed one night, the television turned itself on. A small thing and one which was not repeated during our stay there. Again, I wonder if this was my brother trying to let me know he was with us, and if those who have passed are able to direct their energy through electrical appliances? I took great comfort from these experiences and wonder if anyone else has experienced anything like this?

Welcome to the FTMB!

Hi there.

If these small oddities made you FEEL that you were being reassured by someone you love then, really, that's all that matters.

Welcome aboard.

I lost my brother and mother in the reverse order to yours and there were a number of "communication" like oddities after and between their deaths which I've reported on here.

However ive not personally had any related to electronic equipment. One of my other brothers however was, particularly after our sibling's death, repeatedly reporting what he took to be to uncanny experiences relating to electronics...phone, ipod,radio, texts...on various occassions playing up to bring our dead brother's name or other close associations to the fore.

One such incident he reported involved him asking for a sign and the lights in his garden starting to flash on and off in order, and indeed to order, something they'e not meant to do.. I can't find his message in which he recounted that so will have to ask him. But its important because just last week he messaged the rest of us to say after getting a "buzzing" in his ear (something he learnt via online sources to associate with spiritual communication) he looked out of his window and saw the same lights dancing rhythmically. (interestingly he made no mention of the previous incident nor associated the current one directly with asking for signs...but its the anniversaries of both deaths in the next few weeks). I've never seen the lights in question but by his account they are either on (at night) or they are off (in the morning). They don't have some kind of rhythmic sequencing function. This time he filmed it. I've no idea if the link below will work or be clear as ive simply copied it from my phone.

I have mentioned on the forum, that my 8-y-o granddaughter's mother passed away in February, after a lengthy illness.

Zoe has coped magnificently and it's only in the past few days, we have seen the first indications otherwise.

Quite understandably, Zoe expressed how much she is now missing her mum and had become slightly withdrawn.

Earlier today, my son took his daughter for a country walk in the lovely sunshine.

They stopped for a rest and he asked if Zoe wanted to send a message to her mum in the 'spirit world'. This was a great idea and they both spent some time there.

My son, James, then also suggested, why don't we ask mummy to send us a 'sign', if she can.

Another great idea and they did just that, much to Zoe's delight.

This cheered her up considerably, which is all that James had intended.

That was the essence, later explained by both on their return.

I was visiting (still maintaining distancing for now) and they had only just returned, when Zoe comes out of her bedroom, proclaiming,' look what I found!'.

It's a child's ring.

Zoe relates how it was lying in the middle of her bedroom floor.

A present from mummy?

Obviously not.

Except that there is a wee twist in the tail here.

Well, a rather enormous one, actually.

Zoe loves unicorns.

The ring has a unicorn.

Unequivocally, none of us have ever seen it before.

All I know for certain, is there was a cry for some solace and it was found in a mysterious, immaculately timed, perfectly ideal ring, which has appeared without explanation.

Zoe, needless to say, is ecstatically happy with mummy's present.

Especially, as Zoe reminded us all, the last time she was able to visit mum in hospital, mum had promised Zoe a unicorn ring.

Alas, mum passed a couple of days later and that never materialised.

Or, did it...

IMG_20200520_205401_resize_40.jpg

IMG_20200520_205449_resize_90.jpg

I have mentioned on the forum, that my 8-y-o granddaughter's mother passed away in February, after a lengthy illness.

Zoe has coped magnificently and it's only in the past few days, we have seen the first indications otherwise.

Quite understandably, Zoe expressed how much she is now missing her mum and had become slightly withdrawn.

Earlier today, my son took his daughter for a country walk in the lovely sunshine.

They stopped for a rest and he asked if Zoe wanted to send a message to her mum in the 'spirit world'. This was a great idea and they both spent some time there.

My son, James, then also suggested, why don't we ask mummy to send us a 'sign', if she can.

Another great idea and they did just that, much to Zoe's delight.

This cheered her up considerably, which is all that James had intended.

That was the essence, later explained by both on their return.

I was visiting (still maintaining distancing for now) and they had only just returned, when Zoe comes out of her bedroom, proclaiming,' look what I found!'.

It's a child's ring.

Zoe relates how it was lying in the middle of her bedroom floor.

A present from mummy?

Obviously not.

Except that there is a wee twist in the tail here.

Well, a rather enormous one, actually.

Zoe loves unicorns.

The ring has a unicorn.

Unequivocally, none of us have ever seen it before.

All I know for certain, is there was a cry for some solace and it was found in a mysterious, immaculately timed, perfectly ideal ring, which has appeared without explanation.

Zoe, needless to say, is ecstatically happy with mummy's present.

Especially, as Zoe reminded us all, the last time she was able to visit mum in hospital, mum had promised Zoe a unicorn ring.

Alas, mum passed a couple of days later and that never materialised.

Or, did it...

View attachment 26402

View attachment 26403
Fantastic!

Fantastic!
I am consummately devoid of a logical explanation.

There isn't even anywhere to start...

Massively important that I was present throughout, as events unfolded. Therefore, I know for absolute certain these are the facts, it's not something I heard about second-hand.

Along with my son, Zoe's gran was also there, so that's three first-hand witnesses.

Witnesses to what though, is something we have all discussed for hours since.

We are none the wiser...

:group: virtual group hug of sympathy!
Eight years old--what a young age to witness an illness you can't make better...
That's so nice, thank you.

She's been incredibly resilient, just the past week or so we noticed a slight change.

Maybe started when she was drawing a picture of mum and added at the bottom, "mummy faded away".

However, imagine being a little girl who sends out loving thoughts to mum and when she gets home, mummy has left the most perfect present! :p

Thanks for the contributions it must be quite hard, I honestly believe that there is something in this, my two pennies is that I believe that we are receiving these kind of signs all the time and there are probably some very frustrated souls out there, from everything I have read its difficult for them to to have any effect on the material world and what seems insignificant to us requires a great deal from them

Thanks for the contributions it must be quite hard...
Thank you and much appreciated.

Although there are many online accounts concerning, 'signs from the afterlife', they are typically interpretations of an occurrence.

The presence of butterflies, birds, etc., sudden music associated with the deceased, or incidents where maybe a broken-down clock, watch, etc. belonging to them, starts working again.

Whilst they can be explained away as coincidences, this does not fall into that category.

Has it has become evident we have a rare opportunity, to consider something entirely different?

Those intrinsic photographs were taken immediately and three first-hand witnesses participated.

We have all again discussed events this morning and simply can not come up with any rational explanation.

Another aspect - it's a, 'mood ring', which changes from black to blue when worn.

At the time of discovery, yesterday, gran remarked, 'maybe that's mummy showing you that moods can change from dark to light'.

As for your thoughts, 'I honestly believe that there is something in this'..

Presently, I find myself is the extremely peculiar, if not crazy, situation, of having little to offer as an argument.

Earlier this morning, something came to mind. It was one of my favourite quotes from years past, when Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's, Sherlock Holmes observes:

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth".

The fact your incident Involves a young girl and the answered request was so swift and precise makes me associate for the first time such experiences with the 1950s sentimental hit Scarlet Ribbons. I can find no reference online to what inspired it's composition, only that it took them 15 minutes to do so. But you've got to wonder if one of them did indeed know of a real-life case of an impossibily answered prayer.

If I live to be a hundred
I will never know from where...

The fact your incident Involves a young girl and the answered request was so swift and precise makes me associate for the first time such experiences with the 1950s sentimental hit Scarlet Ribbons..
Thank you so much.

I wanted to document this some more, whilst still fresh in mind.

Can't really, formally interview my 8-y-o, however, a perfect opportunity presented itself, when son and myself were out walking with her last night.

She's not convinced this hasn't been a prank!

After discussion, James Jnr and myself see no problems with sharing this, if of interest.

It is, after all, case evidence and wherelse in the entire universe, would be more appropriate than this thread, on our own Fortean forum... :)

I confess it occurred to me to elaborate on the sceptical suspicions that might arise in this case, however unfounded, and the video certainly rules out one of them - that Zoe herself was merely pretending to have found it. Her own expression of doubt and suspicion that she is the victim of someone else's well meaning trick is enough evidence to preclude that as a possibility.

The thing she suspects however - that her dad planted it before suggesting she ask for a sign , to make her feel better - has to be a matter of judging your own conviction that he's totally sincere in denying it. If he had planted it it would in my view make him a good and wise father in the circumstances, but any benefit would only exist if he never breathes a word of the truth.

I list these options only to say they would pass the mind of anyone determined to not believe, or at least not be fooled. Only you can judge your son's tone and demeanour when he talks to you about it privately. Is he in your judgement appropriately flabbergasted or amazed by what happened himself?

In my book the incident has one enormous piece of evidence in its favour...the fact it's not unique. I've yet to meet someone who didn't have an extraordinary coincidence like this following a death. Appearing and disappearing objects are also common currency in poltergeist and seance reports. It - whatever it is - is most definitely a thing. I've experienced it a number of times myself.

.... that Zoe herself was merely pretending to have found it. Her own expression of doubt and suspicion that she is the victim of someone else's well meaning trick is enough evidence to preclude that as a possibility.
Assuredly and tremendously grateful you have made myself realise, yes, it is important to document this right now.

You added:

"... she suspects however - that her dad planted it before suggesting she ask for a sign , to make her feel better - has to be a matter of judging your own conviction that he's totally sincere in denying it".

This can categorically be ruled out. He would never do anything like and has emphasised to Zara how awful it would be if someone did that.

He's the one who is most shaken of us all!

James calls her Zara, because that is her real name and I initially gave a pseudonym, being extremely wary of taking this step-by-step.

There's another short video clip, which is critical here:

Furthermore insightful might be this conversation. You can see Zara isn't really sure what to believe and ultimately more interested in finding a ladybird!

Everything which has been documented and presented here for some hopeful feedback, is genuine as it appears.

I know this to be an absolute fact!

You also mentioned:

"It - whatever it is - is most definitely a thing. I've experienced it a number of times myself".

That's interesting and something I will be keeping in mind.

Will leave matters there for now and merely note I am simply, 'caught in the middle' and trying to share a fascinating Fortean enigma, which naturally must have an explanation, elusive though that may be.

Just a note to clarify and confirm that everything posted in relation has been thoroughly discussed between my son, daughter, Zara's gran (who has been her legal carer for some years) and myself.

Zara has been party to these discussions all along.

There will actually be no further images or videos of Zara, as we feel that's enough.

I have been careful in hopefully documenting what needs to be, whilst events are still fresh in memory.

That has essentially all been achieved and now an explanation is awaited.

When you have a moment, like... :)

My experiences have been been littered hither and thither about these boards for years so they may not be new to you.

The most closely parallel in terms of asking and almost directly receiving was several months after my mum's death when i found a photo of her on my phone looking directly into camera, and i decided to address her in conversation. All i could think to say was that nothing paranormal had happened in the intervening months and it would be nice to have another fix to remind me all that's happened before was real. The following morning circumstances lead me to clearing out the bottom drawer in the kitchen as something had fallen behind it. Among the recipe books and appliance manuals was a solitary scrap of paper with my own hand writing on it, written seven years earlier. The keeping of it and the location of it have no explanation. In the circumstances it appeared to be a direct reply from the deceased to my request. "I keep asking you as loudly and clearly as I can if you can hear me, but you just keep staring at me like you can't" (It had been written and held up to her by me when she had had a minor stroke, to explain to her my need to call an ambulance. Hardly a keep sake. )

The vast majority of my appearing object experiences however are part - I claim at least, you can judge otherwise yourself! - of a long sequence of events over several years which i tried to summarise clearly and concisely in a single thread. It may be worth reading the whole discussion as I'm inevitably asked to re-elaborate what i had simplified! Plus i respond and analyse as best i can the suggestion that im imposing meaning on the random. Finally more incidents happened and were reported in the course of the thread itself.

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/tying-the-threads-together.63916/

I am, as you all know, a disbeliever in spirit communication and mediumship etc. and I spend my professional life recreating psychic phenomena, seances and convincing people that the paranormal exists (when in fact it is I who am producing everything).

I am however, a big believer in love and family. Maybe I'm tired or maybe I'm in a sensitive mood but reading this brought a tear to my eye. Whether that ring came from this world or the next, I don't know nor does it matter because the important thing is that it is here. If it were me I would treasure that ring and I hope it brings Zara all the comfort she needs. I hope it wakes fond memories of her Mum for many years to come and let's her know that she's never alone.

And just because I don't believe that the spirits communicate with us, doesn't mean they don't do it anyway.

Last edited:
I'll add this here as it's just happened ( "it" being my hearing about it)

Last weekend, Friday and Sunday marked the anniversaries respectively of my deceased brother's death and birth.

During the week I mentioned to our sister that no spooky coincidences or "signs' had happened. Oh, she responded, I forgot to mention....apparently on the Thursday immediately before the anniversary she went into a large store and immediately over the tannoy the announcement came " Can Conor please go to Daniel's café".

Conor was our brother, he ran a café, Daniel was his only son.

Now in a similar vein, another brother speaking on the phone has only just saw fit to mention that that same Thursday evening he found himself asking the departed to show a sign that he was ok.

The following day ( anniversary of the death, and 48 hours before the deceased's birthday) , his mate rings him with a message to pass on from said mate's apparently psychic-prone brother ( again a revelation!). He had "seen" Conor last night "Tell Gregory ( full moniker, as a family member would use, not Greg as others call him) I'm ok, I'm with mum and there's no reason to worry". The message is obviously pretty banal in its content but the timing and unsolicited nature of it is obviously attention grabbing. He apparently added that he felt there was something celebratory involved. G insists his mate's brother would have zero reason to be aware it was Conor's birthday that weekend.

I'll add this here as it's just happened ( "it" being my hearing about it)

Last weekend, Friday and Sunday marked the anniversaries respectively of my deceased brother's death and birth.

During the week I mentioned to our sister that no spooky coincidences or "signs' had happened. Oh, she responded, I forgot to mention....apparently on the Thursday immediately before the anniversary she went into a large store and immediately over the tannoy the announcement came " Can Conor please go to Daniel's café".

Conor was our brother, he ran a café, Daniel was his only son.

Now in a similar vein, another brother speaking on the phone has only just saw fit to mention that that same Thursday evening he found himself asking the departed to show a sign that he was ok.

The following day ( anniversary of the death, and 48 hours before the deceased's birthday) , his mate rings him with a message to pass on from said mate's apparently psychic-prone brother ( again a revelation!). He had "seen" Conor last night "Tell Gregory ( full moniker, as a family member would use, not Greg as others call him) I'm ok, I'm with mum and there's no reason to worry". The message is obviously pretty banal in its content but the timing and unsolicited nature of it is obviously attention grabbing. He apparently added that he felt there was something celebratory involved. G insists his mate's brother would have zero reason to be aware it was Conor's birthday that weekend.
There was a discussion on'ere a while ago about whether one should pass on such a message if they were given one, especially to someone you didn't know well.

The consensus seemed to be against it, and yet - warning, anecdote ahead! - the few people I've known to have had one were hapoy to hear it.

I am, as you all know, a disbeliever in spirit communication and mediumship etc. and I spend my professional life recreating psychic phenomena, seances and convincing people that the paranormal exists (when in fact it is I who am producing everything).

I am however, a big believer in love and family. Maybe I'm tired or maybe I'm in a sensitive mood but reading this brought a tear to my eye. Whether that ring came from this world or the next, I don't know nor does it matter because the important thing is that it is here. If it were me I would treasure that ring and I hope it beings Zara all the comfort she needs. I hope it wakes fond memories of her Mum for many years to come and let's her know that she's never alone.

And just because I don't believe that the spirits communicate with us, doesn't mean they don't do it anyway.
Interesting. I wonder whether your recreation of psychic phenomena and your ability to fool people has led to your disbelief in mediumship et al, or is it the other way round? Certainly I would be relieved in some sense to have my own last experience debunked, but in 20 years nobody has been able to do so. Similarly, unless someone fesses up, I doubt whether the mystery surrounding CN's experience will ever be solved. But isn't that what makes these experiences so spectacularly special?

Interesting. I wonder whether your recreation of psychic phenomena and your ability to fool people has led to your disbelief in mediumship et al, or is it the other way round? Certainly I would be relieved in some sense to have my own last experience debunked, but in 20 years nobody has been able to do so. Similarly, unless someone fesses up, I doubt whether the mystery surrounding CN's experience will ever be solved. But isn't that what makes these experiences so spectacularly special?

Exactly. The experience's are 100% real as far as our awareness and cognitive processes go. I have made people faint, scream, throw up, shake, cry, laugh, shiver and flee the room - even when I have told them before hand that I will be creating all of the happenings.

But just to clarify (and nit pick). I don't fool people. Magic is there to "fool" people. I do experiemnts "together with" people and we create results together. I see a huge difference. I don't work as a fortune teller, psychic or palm reader etc. I am a stage Mentalist. They audience allow themsleves to be swept up in the moment. The secrets behind the phenomena I create is how I make my living.

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot to answer your question. I started ot as a true believer and a paranormal researcher. When I became a Mentalist I gained access to "inside knowledge" as it were which gave birth to my disbelief in mediumship and spirit contact. I still believe in the supernatural but not in the ability of dead people to actively communicate with the living.

Back