• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Did The Spirits Tell Me Who Jack The Ripper Was?

fizzy55

Devoted Cultist
I'm not sure where to put this, 'It happened to me' seems the best option but feel free to move it if it would serve better posted elsewhere, or delete if noone is interested!

Before I start, I want to make clear that I'm really not claiming to have definitively uncovered the identity of Jack the ripper with the help of ghosts. I would feel a bit silly doing that. But I've had what I feel is a strange experience and where else would I tell it?

Around the end of 2014, I went with my mother to a seance. My mother claimed that the medium who held these seances was amazing and my mother honestly believed that she was talking to deceased members of our family there in that room with her.

I was sceptical at best, but I try to keep an open mind and if nothing else, it would be an experience. The medium met a group of four of us at the door. She was gruff, no nonsense and a little intimidating.

We were led to an upstairs room where the windows were open, letting in the sunlight, the curtains fluttered in the cool breeze and calming instrumental music was playing on low volume. Not what I'd been expecting.

We were instructed to sit around around a wooden table in the middle of the room, lay our hands flat on the table and touch our fingers together.
I think the right expression for how the medium worked was 'table tipping'. She went through the letters of the alphabet, the table would tip (quite violently) at times to one side after every letter and stop on the letter it wanted.

The medium, after a few minutes of calling on spirit guides, announced that the spirits had arrived and off the table went. It was impressive. The table did spell out a lot of things that only family members would know. It also predicted a few things. The 'spirits' told me I could expect to have twin girls on the way before very long. I was certainly not looking to have anymore children and was looking forward to proving this statement to be incorrect!

At certain points this (extremely heavy) table would leap sideways into our laps and the medium would declare that this was a deceased loved one giving us a hug. She also announced the presence of various animals around the room which, upon their names being spelled out, turned out to have belonged to us all as pets in the past, including a goldfish called Barbie which as far as guesswork goes, was pretty impressive, I thought.

I tried to figure out how she was doing it. Glancing at her feet for the pedal that must control the table. Found nothing, her feet didn't seem to move. Surely though, we were subconciously putting extra pressure on the table when it arrived on a letter we expected, giving a cue when she should stop it? I tried putting pressure on the table at random points. It just carried on regardless or would wobble to a stop and the medium would say the spirits said it was wrong. I decided in the end to stop looking for tricks and just go with the experience.

As we neared the end, the medium asked if we had any questions for the spirits. Everyone else asked about health concerns or their childrens futures or their own. The table had given bad news before and I didn't want to risk it. Instead, when it was my turn, knowing that one of my deceased relatives was into true crime, I blurted out:

'So have you finally solved the mystery of Jack the ripper now?'

There was silence. Then the table tipped over to spell: 'yes'

I asked who Jack the ripper was. The table stayed still. The medium said 'the spirits have rules they have to follow. They are making sure its ok to tell you.'

Then the table began to move. It spelled out 'George Kloskowski'

And that was that. I read through all that I could find on the suspects and history on Jack the ripper over the following weeks, but I never came across the name. Eventually, I let it go. I became very busy anyway after the birth of my twin baby girls in early 2016.

This morning, I came across a crime magazine. I can't find when it was printed, although it looks fairly recent. An article inside the magazine caught my eye. It speaks of a man called Severin Kloskowski, aka George Chapman, who was hanged in 1903 at Wandsworth prison having been found guilty of murdering 3 women by poison. He arrived in the Uk from Poland in 1888 and was living in whitechapel at the time of the murders. He was 23 at the time. He changed his name to George Chapman, taking the surname of his mistress, Annie Chapman. Not THE Annie Chapman, but it feels like another odd coincidence!

According to reports, chief inspector Abberline believed him to be Jack. When I put his alias first name together with his real surname, it spells the name given to me at the seance. Now I'm not claiming anything. It could all just be a coincidence. The medium could have just plucked a name out of thin air, but what a coincidence again if so! She could have been aware of this suspect, although I had never heard of him, but if so, why didn't she spell out George Chapman or Severin Kloskowski? Why didn't, for that matter, the spirits? Whatever the explanation, it's all left me feeling a little odd. And I felt the experience was strange enough to post on here. Im attempting to post some pictures of the article, but it keeps saying file too big, I'll keep trying.
*edited to correct spelling mistake

Last edited:
I think the simple answer is 'no' . Georgie boy was a poisoner , not a slasher. It's not true that serial killers never change their methods, but changing from a violent spur-of-the-moment slasher to a cold-blooded poisoner would be unique.

IMG-20200522-WA0004.jpg

I think the simple answer is 'no' . Georgie boy was a poisoner , not a slasher. It's not true that serial killers never change their methods, but changing from a violent spur-of-the-moment slasher to a cold-blooded poisoner would be unique.
Yes you are right, it's rare at best. I should have mentioned though, that these 3 women were all his girlfriends. If he wanted to kill them and had done so by slashing, he would likely have been caught immedietely. He had somehow hoped to get away with the poisonings, and claimed the deaths as natural. It would give him a motive to use a different method with these later victims. It was just a jolt to see thoses 2 parts of the full name spelled out to me appear together attached to one person and to be able to put him in the area at the same date as the killings and find he was considered. I'm not claiming anything but a strange coincidence, but it's interesting.

So she was right in predicting twins - that's fairly impressive - how far ahead was this?

Ringo can probably tell us how the table tipping is done if he reads this.
Seance was towards the end of 2014 and I had the twins in feb 2016. When I found out I was expecting my mum kept telling everyone I was having twins before I'd even had my first scan, based on how much faith she had in the medium.
I paid for an early scan and when the woman who was doing it asked why I wanted a scan so early, I said 'So that you can tell me it's not twins.' And I laughed.
She turned the screen around and said to me 'Well, you can count them yourself, if you like.'

Ringo will definitely click on this thread, but just to make sure, I'll summon him.

Wooooooooooooo @Ringo oooooooooooooooooo!

*Arrives in a puff of smoke*

Let's have a look then. The table tipping can be done in lots of ways and usually 2 or more ways are combined at the same time to make it impossible to trace. Making it jump into someones lap gives one method away instantly (But sorry I can't divulge). I expect that it was a large round table with a centre column and 3 or 4 short legs/feet sprouting from this. It doesn't have to be but that shape makes life easier. A square works too.

Who were the others invloved in the sitting? Did you personally know them?

And as for the twins - it was either a lucky guess, family research or actual spirit contact. Do you have any others twins in your family? Was your mother a twin for example?

Seance was towards the end of 2014 and I had the twins in feb 2016. When I found out I was expecting my mum kept telling everyone I was having twins before I'd even had my first scan, based on how much faith she had in the medium.
I paid for an early scan and when the woman who was doing it asked why I wanted a scan so early, I said 'So that you can tell me it's not twins.' And I laughed.
She turned the screen around and said to me 'Well, you can count them yourself, if you like.'

Reminds me of a close relation of mine who was adamant that she would NEVER have children. However, a psychic told her she'd have one child, a boy, quite late on.
Relation told me this at the time in gales of laughter as she was certain it would never happen.
Nearly 20 years later when she was 38 she did indeed have a son.

Wait...what?! There's no... and the tooth fairy is...

Jesus, Yith. How about a spoiler alert next time. Oh well, at least I've always got the Easter Bunny.

On a more serious angle though, witnessing these things first hand and in an emotionally charged situtaion can be life changing.

Your mum may well have chatted to the medium on previous visits and given away information without realising. Twins in the family? Did she perhaps think it was time for Grand children? Your age? People do like to talk about their family.

The table thing is using your palms to put pressure down and back relative to the legs. You don’t have to have your hands at the rear edge. It makes the opposite end of the table come up.
Then increase the effort one side while lessening pressure on the other it goes onto one leg. If your wearing stout shoes you can use the bit of sole sticking out to lift the remaining leg off the ground, now its floating. It takes practice to perfect but it’s like any other magick trick, practice practice practice.

The magazine is from 2019 but getting the name Kloskowski is interesting. I’ve no idea if he’s a recent suspect or has been floated as a suspect before.

Let's have a look then. The table tipping can be done in lots of ways and usually 2 or more ways are combined at the same time to make it impossible to trace. Making it jump into someones lap gives one method away instantly (But sorry I can't divulge). I expect that it was a large round table with a centre column and 3 or 4 short legs/feet sprouting from this. It doesn't have to be but that shape makes life easier. A square works too.

Spoilsport. The internet suggests these:

Table tipping, from Spook Crooks, by Julien Proskauer (1928)
Using a harness to tip a table, from Dunninger's Complete Encyclopedia of Magic (1963)

Although it says the tables are generally light whereas fizzy says her table was extremely heavy.

Who were the others invloved in the sitting? Did you personally know them?

And as for the twins - it was either a lucky guess, family research or actual spirit contact. Do you have any others twins in your family? Was your mother a twin for example?
Hi, yes the table was how you first described. I knew she was doing it somehow but couldn't see how at the time.
It was me, my mum and 2 of my mums friends, so my mum could have given clues during previous sittings.
My grandma had twin boys in the early 50's. One of them didn't survive, so you are right that the guesswork could have been based on family history.
She has also warned of 3 deaths in the family that I know of, which came to pass soon after. One of which was my father. And there was a little story involved in that too which I felt was odd. So however she's doing it, it's a bit much for me, anyway.
I never took it too seriously, even with all of that. I just thought she was clever. Yesterday when I saw that magazine, I thought she must be very very clever! But I wouldn't ever rule out that theres something else out there, having had some strange experiences myself, I just don't know. I'm baffled.

Your mum may well have chatted to the medium on previous visits and given away information without realising. Twins in the family? Did she perhaps think it was time for Grand children? Your age? People do like to talk about their family.

The table thing is using your palms to put pressure down and back relative to the legs. You don’t have to have your hands at the rear edge. It makes the opposite end of the table come up.
Then increase the effort one side while lessening pressure on the other it goes onto one leg. If your wearing stout shoes you can use the bit of sole sticking out to lift the remaining leg off the ground, now its floating. It takes practice to perfect but it’s like any other magick trick, practice practice practice.

The magazine is from 2019 but getting the name Kloskowski is interesting. I’ve no idea if he’s a recent suspect or has been floated as a suspect before.
Me, neither. I cant remember coming across it, I think it was only seeing those names together that made me stop in my tracks, so I could have come across one or the other name and not thought anything about it. I think it's fair to say my mum will have chatted away during past seances, about me especially. It's one of the things I always had in mind and the reason I will always take these things with a pinch of salt.

Just a minor nitpick but you said 'Kloskowski' and the magazine said 'Klosowski'. Is this a small typo on your behalf or did the table actually spell it that way?
Just curious - it's a 'hit' whichever way you look at it.
You know, somehow I've only just myself noticed the difference. Subconciously I have put the K in even though I was sure the names were exactly the same. The table very likely spelt it with a K as I typed as I remembered it so it's true there is a slight difference in the spellings.

You know, somehow I've only just myself noticed the difference. Subconciously I have put the K in even though I was sure the names were exactly the same. The table very likely spelt it with a K as I typed as I remembered it so it's true there is a slight difference in the spellings.

Like I said, I don't think it's a big deal but just imagine if the magazine got it wrong and your table was correct. That would be even spookier.

Spoilsport. The internet suggests these:

Table tipping, from Spook Crooks, by Julien Proskauer (1928)
Using a harness to tip a table, from Dunninger's Complete Encyclopedia of Magic (1963)'s Complete Encyclopedia of Magic (1963)

Although it says the tables are generally light whereas fizzy says her table was extremely heavy.
Yes, it is extremely heavy. It can be lifted, but it took me some effort when I tried it.

Like I said, I don't think it's a big deal but just imagine if the magazine got it wrong and your table was correct. That would be even spookier.
Oh yes, imagine! I'm going to try and do a bit of digging when I have the time and see if anything else has been written about this man. I'd be greatful if anyone else comes across anything, if they could let me know also, that would be great.

OK to spill more beans seeing as how there has been some disclosure here already:

There are 3 different approaches I suppose:

1. Using the laws of physics, leverage and cantilevering principles - as @Roland Deschain mentioned. Having a confederate at the other side of the table helps too but this was not the case here. A good table is designed and built especially with one of the three legs longer than the others. This allows for the table to be manipulated, walked and pivoted around the longer leg. You need to be familiar with the table i.e. have rehearsed with it.
2. Ad hoc demonstrations (see the first idea in @hunck s posts above - the one with the knife). Spoons, knives and all sorts jammed under watch straps, up sleeves and even just with your thumbs under the table at a push. Jamming shirt sleeve buttons into table cracks. You name it.
3. Mechanical solutions (see the second picture) - rigs, wires, magnets, body braces, arm braces, nails, pulleys - all sorts. Even sturdy metal pins sticking out of shoes to fit inside pre-drilled holes in the table legs. Magnets under carpets to hold it in place when others try to lift it. Or just asking people to try to lift it while you press down on one foot/leg with your foot.

A very common one is just lifting it with your knees. You make sure your chair is higher than the others so when others try to do the same they cannot do it. You lift when you can. If you want to convince people, you have the persons on either side of you place their feet on yours to make sure you don't move your feet or legs. When it's time, you slip out of your shoes. They can't feel the difference because you've reinforced the toes of your shoes with stif cardboard caps. Them holding your shoes down helps you slip out and in again easier than if they weren't holding them down.

The ideas in hunck's post are impractical for the modern audience but give the gist of what can be done with a little imagnation and modern engineering.

Last edited:
Me, neither. I cant remember coming across it, I think it was only seeing those names together that made me stop in my tracks, so I could have come across one or the other name and not thought anything about it. I think it's fair to say my mum will have chatted away during past seances, about me especially. It's one of the things I always had in mind and the reason I will always take these things with a pinch of salt.
I can imagine you going wide eyed and thinking WTF when you saw the ripper article. The magazine is itself a bit of a niche publication, not likely to be on the pile of mags at the dentist either so it’s interesting you found it.

Kloskowski as a suspect does come up on google if you search “ripper suspects” No idea if it did in 2014.

Back