• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Fish with "Human Face" in China:

0_THP_CHP_091119Slug_11750JPG.jpg

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/fish-human-face-spotted-lake-20846470

Last edited by a moderator:
Near here, next to a busy and sometimes dangerous junction (blind bend, 4-way traffic lights, low bridge etc) there's a shop with some kind of blue-light window display.

From a distance and especially in a car rear view mirror it looks like emergency blues. You get a millisecond of it, think 'Ooer! Trouble!' and slow down.

Every single time I drive along there I have this reaction and I'm sure I'm not alone. It's probably making that road safer!

The blue light display was a cash machine. The lighting colour has now been changed to green. I like green but can't help thinking the blue was better!

well......woody wood, maybe a bit off the boil, a 'lob on'....

Newly published research indicates that human face pareidolia induces or invokes neural / cognitive mechanisms dedicated to processing emotional and social cues from faces. The implication is that humans viewing human face simulacra are processing the visual stimuli more deeply than would be the case in interpreting another sort of object within the visual presentation.
Lifeless Objects Stare at You Everywhere. A New Study Explains Why They Won't Quit

When you see a face in a cloud, in the slots of a power point, or on the side of a house, there's a term for it: face pareidolia. This strange perception phenomenon makes lifeless, inanimate objects appear to have facial features – the basic shapes of two eyes and a mouth is often all it takes to imagine a face gazing back at you. ...

"This basic pattern of features that defines the human face is something that our brain is particularly attuned to, and is likely to be what draws our attention to pareidolia objects," says behavioural neuroscientist Colin Palmer from the University of New South Wales (UNSW) in Australia.

"But face perception isn't just about noticing the presence of a face. We also need to recognise who that person is, and read information from their face, like whether they are paying attention to us, and whether they are happy or upset." ...

That distinction – not just seeing a face, but reading social and emotional information from it – could tell us how deeply pareidolia objects are processed within our brain and visual systems. ...

In new research, Palmer and fellow UNSW psychologist Colin Clifford sought to investigate whether face pareidolia involves the activation of sensory mechanisms designed to register social information from human faces. ...

The results, the team suggests, mean that face pareidolia goes beyond being a purely cognitive or mnemonic effect, reflecting information processing in higher-level sensory mechanisms in the visual system, which are usually used to read emotional states on faces – such as whether someone is smiling and happy with us, downcast, or even furiously angry.

That ability to not just perceive face shapes but read facial emotions is extremely important, given what faces can reveal about those who wear them. ...

FULL STORY: https://www.sciencealert.com/lifele...here-a-new-study-explains-why-they-won-t-quit

Here are the bibliographic details and abstract for the research article cited above ...

Face Pareidolia Recruits Mechanisms for Detecting Human Social Attention
Colin J. Palmer, Colin W. G. Clifford
First Published July 22, 2020
Psychological Science

Abstract
Face pareidolia is the phenomenon of seeing facelike structures in everyday objects. Here, we tested the hypothesis that face pareidolia, rather than being limited to a cognitive or mnemonic association, reflects the activation of visual mechanisms that typically process human faces. We focused on sensory cues to social attention, which engage cell populations in temporal cortex that are susceptible to habituation effects. Repeated exposure to “pareidolia faces” that appear to have a specific direction of attention causes a systematic bias in the perception of where human faces are looking, indicating that overlapping sensory mechanisms are recruited when we view human faces and when we experience face pareidolia. These cross-adaptation effects are significantly reduced when pareidolia is abolished by removing facelike features from the objects. These results indicate that face pareidolia is essentially a perceptual phenomenon, occurring when sensory input is processed by visual mechanisms that have evolved to extract specific social content from human faces.

SOURCE: https://doi.org/10.1177/0956797620924814

Frozen Cheese Pies?
Where do you shop scargy?????

Frozen Cheese Pies?
Where do you shop scargy?????

They were the famous Wrights Pies from t'supermarket.

I used to work near a Wrights bakery, where the air was full of the scent of gravy. Our mechanics would sometimes fix their delivery vans.
In return, trays of hot pies and pastries would appear in our messrom, on which we would fall like ravenous wolves.

The story went that workers there could eat as many products as they like but not take any home. I believe this because Bakery finishing time was like a Sumo stampede.

So yeah, Wrights Pies.

So, my brother forwarded to me these two images using WhatsApp:
70f8f151-7771-4da4-b3d3-8903f758a8af.jpeg

fc0826fc-09fc-4902-98b2-e0ae1a251687.jpeg

Caption on the second reads: When you see the dog, you no longer will able to see the frightening face of a boy.

Here are two helpers, so that you can see both:
f943d5bb-d6f7-4cab-ba59-e1fceb450496.jpeg

dc34e795-03fc-4359-94c3-8650ab9f7552.jpeg

Like my brother said, he cropped the top to force me to notice the boy first. He only noticed the boy with the guidelines.

It appears to me to be doing gang signs - I reckon there's going to be some righteous Cad Goddeu type noize between the Crazy Ash Crew and the Savage Elm Mafia tonight.

Back