• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Hollywood's Pointless Remakes, Reboots, Prequels & Sequels

My 8 year old niece loves the new Ghostbusters. It's one of the few movies she will sit through.
Good for her. A lot of people did like it, and they enjoy watching it. I still haven't seen it, more out of laziness than anything else.

Good for her. A lot of people did like it, and they enjoy watching it. I still haven't seen it, more out of laziness than anything else.

It was fine. If they had called it something else there wouldn't have been such a fuss. If little girls like it, I have no problems with that.

If we're going to talk of the last Ghostbusters again, I've seen it twice now, once at the flicks, once with the missus who likes it. Hemsworth's performance is worth watching, as is McKinnon's. I admit to finding Kristen Wiig extremely watchable, though I'm unsure why. I don't think any of this saves a movie lacking the subtle, character driven humour and eldritch atmosphere of its predecessors. Still, the first trailer for the next Ghostbusters movie seems to be lacking humour almost entirely, so perhaps that'll be worse. But if folk enjoy it, it serves a purpose. For the record, Ghostbusters II is on my list of the most underrated movies of my lifetime. Many think the franchise should have stopped at the first movie, so it's all a matter of taste.

I'm just watching True Grit, the Coen Brothers movie. Decent movie, but I cannot see how it got 10 Oscar nominations.

I'm just watching True Grit, the Coen Brothers movie. Decent movie, but I cannot see how it got 10 Oscar nominations.

Wasn't it part of the "ok you've done your time, we've given you f all for your previous films but we will now" sort of Hollywood thinking?

It's good, but it misses the excellent flow and pace of the original. I'm not saying Westerns can't be at a slower, nuanced pace - Clint spent two decades doing it after learning from Leone - this film just didn't quite have it for me. I too think it's great though - just not the greatest.

Also, the original had Wayne at his slightly past it - but not weaker for it - best. Wayne was defined as the gunfighter and his aging made the whole film more vivid. Bridges was never identified as a cowboy. Even though he is excellent.

Wayne playing Rooster in 1969 was an ending of a whole era of filmmaking and Hathaway had directed enough to just go with it.

Some sort of sequel to Labyrinth is in the works, I hope they CGI in Bowie's crotch to honour the original.

I WILL FIGHT YOU.
1447766181_5.jpg

New ‘Exorcist’ Trilogy Sells to Universal for Reported $400 Million, Ellen Burstyn Returning

News broke last December that David Gordon Green was working with Blumhouse on a new movie in “The Exorcist” franchise. Green and Blumhouse reinvigorated the “Halloween” franchise with their eponymous 2018 horror movie, the first film in a trilogy that continues this year with “Halloween Kills” and next year with “Halloween Ends.” It turns out Green and Blumhouse are taking the exact same approach with their new “Exorcist” movie, not only crafting a trilogy but also bringing original star Ellen Burstyn back to star just as Jamie Lee Curtis did for the new “Halloween” films.
https://www.indiewire.com/2021/07/exorcist-trilogy-universal-400-million-ellen-burstyn-1234653621/

How about a feminist remake of Deuce Bigalow?

Ellen Burstyn is 88 years old. They'd better shoot all her scenes first.

Re: The Ghostbusters all-female-remake/reboot/whatever-the-hell-that-was....

It was fine. If they had called it something else there wouldn't have been such a fuss.

I completely agree. I treated that Ghostbusters movie with the same respect I would of any movie that had sub-par trailers.... I waited for it to come out on network TV.

I was disappointed, but not so much for the lackluster script as I was for the director who insinuated that if you didn't like it, your were just a misogynist. That really put me off.

Had it been an entirely different thing, that is, not trying to piggy-back off of the earlier Ghostbusters success, I could at least respect that, but when you vilify anyone who doesn't like it well, you've lost my vote. That being said, I know a lot of people whose daughters really loved it, so I can respect that.

The new one looks "interesting", but I'm not holding my breath. Okay, let's be honest, I am. The trailers (1&2) seem intriguing, but I'm wondering if this is going to be a "kids save the day because the adults don't believe" sort of thing. That would put me off.

I think it might be time for a remake of the "The Day the Earth Caught Fire". (You might have to change the cause from nuclear tests nudging the Earth into a closer orbit round the Sun, to anthropogenic climate change [or would that make it a documentary ?] tweaking the "science" in remakes is fairly common; some of the Marvel Superheroes have had their origins tweaked as science has marched on.) Actually there's a PhD thesis for some doing a media studies degree "Science and Magic in the Marvel Universe - Are They the Real Thing, or are they Fantasy?

I like the open ending of the original, though in the US cut, they dubbed church bells ringing over the end to imply that the Earth has been saved.

I actually wrote to the originator of the V series around say 2017 to suggest it was a good time for more material. He was genial but not very interested.

It was remade, though, in a Christian sci-fi way.

Anyone ever seen the remake of Get Carter with Sylvester Stallone?

It's not very good, to put it mildly. Completely missed almost everything that makes the original so wonderful and turns it into a generic crime "thriller".

It's not very good, to put it mildly. Completely missed almost everything that makes the original so wonderful and turns it into a generic crime "thriller".
I had the misfortune of watching that recently, it really was so bad I had to watch it to the end. It was hypnotically bad.
No doubt Michael Caine was well paid for his part in this ruination of one of his best films.

I think V has had its day
Heck no. I watch it once a year or so, and the description of political manipulation and use of the media to take over a planet without firing a shot is even more perceptive than it was originally. It's not really about that Australian actress eating a guinea pig.

Stallone also completely missed the point in Judge Dredd by removing his helmet in that film. Massive massive mistake. The Dredd character is famous for never ever removing his helmet. I know Stallone was a bankable huge star and 'the money people' wanted Stallone's face to be seen but studio execs clearly hadn't done their homework (or even cared) who Dredd is. The more recent 'Dredd' on the other hand was excellent, Karl Urban portrayed him exactly as he was in the comics. After watching that version, sometimes I'll turn to the Mrs and say "Rookie!. Assessment." when we're talking about new staff. :cool:

Stallone also completely missed the point in Judge Dredd by removing his helmet in that film. Massive massive mistake. The Dredd character is famous for never ever removing his helmet. I know Stallone was a bankable huge star and 'the money people' wanted Stallone's face to be seen but studio execs clearly hadn't done their homework (or even cared) who Dredd is. The more recent 'Dredd' on the other hand was excellent, Karl Urban portrayed him exactly as he was in the comics. After watching that version, sometimes I'll turn to the Mrs and say "Rookie!. Assessment." when we're talking about new staff. :cool:
I seem to remember a comic where Dredd spent the entire story in the bath with his helmet on, and still managed to catch some bad 'uns.

Stallone attempting to shout "I am the law" is 50% funny and 50% cringeworthy...

Robocop was more Dredd than Stallone’s version.

Heck no. I watch it once a year or so, and the description of political manipulation and use of the media to take over a planet without firing a shot is even more perceptive than it was originally. It's not really about that Australian actress eating a guinea pig.
Oh but it is though.

I seem to remember a comic where Dredd spent the entire story in the bath with his helmet on, and still managed to catch some bad 'uns.

Stallone attempting to shout "I am the law" is 50% funny and 50% cringeworthy...
It seems to me that if Stallone has to say a sentence of more than three words it sounds like he's reading it from a card that he hasn't seen before.

Back