• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Underground (Miscellaneous: Tunnels, Roads, Bunkers Etc.)

Coincidentally, I was watching some documentaries last week on the Freeview, 'Yesterday' channel.

If you have access to Freeview Play, search for, 'Secret Nazi Bases' - incredible, related material.

Parts of the trolley bus could have been used to build a passed shed or repair it,
there are still one or two carriages off the old big wheel still doing service round
here as conservatory's or sheds, one is open to the public now and then as I cut
up the remains of a tram that had once been used as a changing room.

Parts of the trolley bus could have been used to build a passed shed or repair it,
there are still one or two carriages off the old big wheel still doing service round
here as conservatory's or sheds, one is open to the public now and then as I cut
up the remains of a tram that had once been used as a changing room.

The trolley bus was right in the foundations. On the plus side we knew the shed wasn’t as old as we thought.

I love trams but a trolly bus is halfway there.

Anyway, we’ve done some more digging and found the other end. It’s 6 foot 2.5 inches long. It doesn’t appear to go off left or right but we plan to dig down the sides in case there is something slightly lower. It’s got us stumped. If it was for something to stand on it’s only got metal at one end, I’d have thought they’d be more if it was holding something still. We have had a bit of dig up one end and as far as we’ve seen the concrete is bloody thick. It’s all very mysterious.

Attachments

• 166BF607-9275-4EBF-857B-CE648C979358.jpeg
    166BF607-9275-4EBF-857B-CE648C979358.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 22
We’ve found something in the garden

Please can I urge you (and anyone else digging around old buried shelters etc) to be extra careful around anything you can't 100% identify.
On your larger picture it appears to be a sheet of white asbestos that we can see the thin edge of.
That stuff is NOT to be disturbed. It needs to be checked by a qualified asbestos inspector and may require removal by a registered company.
I only know this as I have twice had to go on a (very boring interesting) whole day long asbestos training course.

Please can I urge you (and anyone else digging around old buried shelters etc) to be extra careful around anything you can't 100% identify.
On your larger picture it appears to be a sheet of white asbestos that we can see the thin edge of.
That stuff is NOT to be disturbed. It needs to be checked by a qualified asbestos inspector and may require removal by a registered company.
I only know this as I have twice had to go on a (very boring interesting) whole day long asbestos training course.

Yes we know. We are carefully working around those ends. It’s annoying they are there but we definitely will not be moving them.

The trolley bus was right in the foundations. On the plus side we knew the shed wasn’t as old as we thought.

I love trams but a trolly bus is halfway there.

Anyway, we’ve done some more digging and found the other end. It’s 6 foot 2.5 inches long. It doesn’t appear to go off left or right but we plan to dig down the sides in case there is something slightly lower. It’s got us stumped. If it was for something to stand on it’s only got metal at one end, I’d have thought they’d be more if it was holding something still. We have had a bit of dig up one end and as far as we’ve seen the concrete is bloody thick. It’s all very mysterious.

Have you thought to get your local museum involved? Even by phone they would know about the area.

I've older relatives who have worked in the building trade so this is really good advice. Well spotted Trev.

That was a very eagle eye spot by the way. As I’ve said we are being careful. But it is really annoying as we can’t see if there’s anything at the front or back behind it.

Probably just an old septic tank anyway

Probably just an old septic tank anyway
I wouldn’t think so we’re on the main sewer, we’ve got a man hole in the corner of the garden.

It probably is something disappointing though. Or we may never know. All we want is an air raid shelter like all the other people.:worry:

Didn't people used to just bury old rubbish in the garden if they had no way to get rid of it?
My cousin found an old cooker buried in her garden!
It could be anything! Keep us updated.:)

Didn't people used to just bury old rubbish in the garden if they had no way to get rid of it?
My cousin found an old cooker buried in her garden!
It could be anything! Keep us updated.:)

It seems like a lot of work imagine how big a hole you’d have to dig.

It seems like a lot of work imagine how big a hole you’d have to dig.
I know, you'd think it wouldn't be worth the effort. Iirc, and this was 20 years ago, there was also a lot of general rubble too. Someone decades ago made a right mess and just grassed it over.

I wouldn’t think so we’re on the main sewer, we’ve got a man hole in the corner of the garden.

It probably is something disappointing though. Or we may never know. All we want is an air raid shelter like all the other people.:worry:
How old is the house? It may have had a septic tank when it was first built, then got connected to the sewer when the pipes were laid.

Well this is what we found today. The first bit was six inches down this was another six and a half inches down. 65695328-A964-4A26-9E3A-3F52539A6D27.jpeg

Well there’s good a bad news. The ‘step’ was a lid to a pile of sh*t. However there’s bits of plastic like carrier bag which means it’s fairly new rubbish. So hopefully there was an older hole. I do keep finding bits of metal so it may still hide a car! Down the hole of sh*t we found the large lumps of metal in the attached pictures. Not sure what they are, they’ve been rolled up. They remind me of large door hinges.

In the good news at the side of said hole there is what looks like a wall which needs further investigating.

I’m not sure if we’ll manage any tomorrow as I have to pop into work, to see how they’ve made it safe for reopening or maybe just to remind me where it is.

Attachments

• 1099A2B4-B90C-4BF9-86C6-72FD9A0980D0.jpeg
    1099A2B4-B90C-4BF9-86C6-72FD9A0980D0.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
  • 643BB52B-6D6D-483B-BC09-5490DC2D58B8.jpeg
    643BB52B-6D6D-483B-BC09-5490DC2D58B8.jpeg
    880.4 KB · Views: 12
Well there’s good a bad news. The ‘step’ was a lid to a pile of sh*t. However there’s bits of plastic like carrier bag which means it’s fairly new rubbish. So hopefully there was an older hole. I do keep finding bits of metal so it may still hide a car! Down the hole of sh*t we found the large lumps of metal in the attached pictures. Not sure what they are, they’ve been rolled up. They remind me of large door hinges.

In the good news at the side of said hole there is what looks like a wall which needs further investigating.

I’m not sure if we’ll manage any tomorrow as I have to pop into work, to see how they’ve made it safe for reopening or maybe just to remind me where it is.

So the forum has its very own Oak Island Money Pit!

Keep digging!

Back