• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Forteana & Weirdness On YouTube

This is a good one (and one rarely seen these days!

Lost UFO Files – 1988 Live TV Broadcast Hosted By Mike Farrell (M*A*S*H)

From an IMDB review:

Basically everything was scripted so what you had were people stepping on each other, missing their cues. But the information was quality on the subject with respected scientists and retired military officers describing cases that have yet to be explained as of today. They also contacted people from all over the world. Hoaxes were also touched upon. One of the reasons for this special was the then current flap in Gulf Breeze and the recent best seller on abductions, Communion. Some footage of abductees under hypnosis was also shown. The great thing about this program was that it focused on the best cases and had the best experts to outline the cases along with retired Air Force officers that were involved with Blue Book.

Two interesting things I found yesterday: A lecture from the Navajo Rangers who (as a minor part of their policing job come into contact with some pretty weird stuff, including people experiencing 'skinwalkers')
and a Canadian tv programme about Indigenous beliefs of strange creatures etc, with phone ins, examples from art, etc. Quite maddening at times in the way the presenter cuts people off when they're trying to communicate what's clearly rather serious to them! But still rather good.

Morbid but highly relevant when discussing native American traditions in the old days.

One historical analysis I read about the Anasazi suggests that it was a large scale famine that caused their entire society to starve. Many of the sites where their homes are found... are not capable of providing enough food for that many people. The claim was made based on analyzing the relics left behind. These people grew grain and had cultivated crops as a major part of their livelihood. But the regions can't support that now. Also a lot of cave paintings seem to show the regions as being more lush and green than they are today. This suggests that the cannibalism was something that was a new behavior that they resorted to after they ran out of food.

EDIT: another point to consider about Anasazi architecture is that they used wood beams as key structural supports. Many of these sites now you'd have to go miles just to find a tree. Did the Anasazi deforest the areas they lived in?

EDIT: Also... given that this was the last days of the Anasazi civilization, it's possible that the Anasazi were being killed and eaten by a different culture that had invaded their lands. At any rate the Anasazi civilization did not end quietly.

Last edited:
Here's a neat video a guy made of one of the Anasazi/Chaco sites.
At first glance it's like "oh it's a building made of rock in a desert" then you realize that the reason there are no elevated floors or roofs is that the Anasazi made those out of WOOD and the wood rotted away centuries ago. You can still see a few remnants of it in places. But look at the size of this place.... how many dozen trees were needed to supply that much wood?
here's another that talks a lot about how much the culture was influence by that of Central America, and shows up close just how much wood was used in building the place.

Here's a neat video a guy made of one of the Anasazi/Chaco sites.
At first glance it's like "oh it's a building made of rock in a desert" then you realize that the reason there are no elevated floors or roofs is that the Anasazi made those out of WOOD and the wood rotted away centuries ago. You can still see a few remnants of it in places. But look at the size of this place.... how many dozen trees were needed to supply that much wood?
here's another that talks a lot about how much the culture was influence by that of Central America, and shows up close just how much wood was used in building the place.
Yes! To us, looking at it now, it seems weird to have built such an amazing place out in the desert.
The area may not have been so much of a desert in those times. Perhaps after they'd cut down all those trees to make roofs and floors, that's when the desert started to creep in.

The guy in that second video was quite annoying, sweeping the camera about and not giving us a good view.

Last edited:
Yes! To us, looking at it now, it seems weird to have built such an amazing place out in the desert.
The area may not have been so much of a desert in those times. Perhaps after they'd cut down all those trees to make roofs and floors, that's when the desert started to creep in.

The guy in that second video was quite annoying, sweeping the camera about and not giving us a good view.
Yeah I think only around 1/3 of the second video is actually useful.

Here's an interesting one. It's a lot of stuff, no visual aids, and very information dense.

At one point he directly mentions what I said about trees. Even though the bulk of the building work was sandstone, many key structural elements were wood timbers. The main site in Chaco Canyon used so much that he thinks they'd deforested everything within 80 miles. o_O'

The bulk of his discussion is about how the various cultures in what is now the SW US and Mexico interrelated. IE, they had extensive trade networks. It was a situation where there were wars, but for the most part people took a stand-off approach instead of combat. I'm now curious WHY the Navajo legends of the "White House" of Chaco call it a place of great evil. Whatever caused the site to be abandoned, many of the people who left it seemingly chose to renounce that way of life... but the legends don't say what way of life it was. Oh right, I posted a video about cannibals on May 31, enh, that's one possibility, but I'm still curious.

That first story has already sent a chill down my spine... :shock:

If only we had access to the CCTV footage for that one!

I have to say actually there is something about the LU. I worked in London for about 5 years in the early 00s and commuted daily on the system, I worked shifts so was there late and early and when you find yourself walking a deserted tunnel late at night there is something very unsettling about the place.

By contrast I've lived in Paris the last three years and take the Metro system there every day at all hours and I don't find it spooky in the slightest. It's not quite as old and the tunnels nowhere near as deep but it is curious how one subterranean transit system can feel so ominous and oppressive while another does not bring out anything like the same feelings.
Yeah, I don't understand that either. My eyesight is failing - so I want to see it on a big screen, not a tiny one.

Re phone screen size.

I tried out a size perception experiment comparing my phone screen and my 40" tv.

Equipment used, a couch, a 40" Samsung TV, a Nokia 6 mobile phone and a room to put them all in.

I lay on the couch and held up my phone sideways moving it backwards and forwards until my phone screen appeared the same size as my tv screen on the other side of the room. I discovered with the phone about 35 cms from my eyes both the tv screen and phone screen appeared to be the same size.

Moving the phone closer than 35 cms obviously made the phone screen seem bigger than a 40" tv.

I quite often watch tv, videos, and YouTube on my mobile phone using headphones to get a good sound. If you get comfy and position the phone well it is like watching a decent size screen.

It's not new, but recently I discovered the weird, haunting, creepypasta game walktrough of "Petscop":
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petscop

As Paul encounters more puzzles, it is slowly revealed - through references to external events and separate NPC characters - that this section of the game was designed for a specific person who did something horrible, alluding in part to a family Paul is connected to somehow being involved in the events referenced inside of the game. The series has few concrete details, and ends without a concrete explanation for either the game or Paul's connection to it.

It's here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZKQv0ZFHpeIUkOtNjtq4KA/videos

Hellraiser, Bataille, horror and philosophy:

That Bedtime Stories channel looks very interesting, thanks for the link to the video which brought it to my attention. I wasn't aware of the UFO sightings by the submarine the USS Trepang either.

Just last Saturday, son was showing myself some YouTube videos he thought might be of interest, including this one...

:hide:

There are only really three points of reference in that footage: the wolf; the dog; the trees. You've actually got to know the size of one of those elements to estimate the size of the other two. And we don't really know the size of any.

So, my first question would be - how big's the dog?

Also, this encounter takes place in what looks like a plantation of saplings, and that, I think, tends to somewhat exaggerate the size of the wolf.

It's interesting that when people are presented with that information they automatically go for the 'big' option: as in 'big wolf', rather than modestly sized dog/young timber.

There are only really three points of reference in that footage: the wolf; the dog; the trees. You've actually got to know the size of one of those elements to estimate the size of the other two. And we don't really know the size of any.

So, my first question would be - how big's the dog?

Also, this encounter takes place in what looks like a plantation of saplings, and that, I think, tends to somewhat exaggerate the size of the wolf.

It's interesting that when people are presented with that information they automatically go for the 'big' option: as in 'big wolf', rather than modestly sized dog/young timber.

My instinct is that they are ash trees in a coppiced wood. You get a bit of a look before the initial zoom and I'd say--stab in the dark--between six and seven metres tall with the first branches at around a third of that total: two meters and a bit above the ground.

Still hard to compare with a moving dog at various distances from the trunks.

I feel sure we've already discussed this somewhere on the boards but I can't find it...
Thoughts of Game of Thrones direwolves came to mind. It would be annoying to fake something with all those trees in front though, you'd imagine.

Hard to tell if it's a wolf or just a large black dog of some sort. ...

Agreed ... I don't see anything that makes me believe it's a wolf rather than a large black dog.

Agreed ... I don't see anything that makes me believe it's a wolf rather than a large black dog.
Could it be a Canadian Wolfdog hybrid, perhaps a former pet released into the wild?

14702362086eba991280d942d977b927_resize_66.jpg

See also:

Alberta sanctuary trying to save abandoned wolf-dog hybrids

https://yamnuskawolfdogsanctuary.com/

Back