• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The 'Thing' In The Charterhouse

Monster? Ghost? Some crawling, aggressive thing that can slip under doors.
Good to see someone else likes Bedtime:cskull: Stories lordmongrove. I watched this last night. I have a feeling that if this had happened in the time of King Arthur, his knights would have gone questing to slay the night beast in question like Beowulf did to Grendel. These days we probably pass the matter off as night terrors.

Some are ones that listeners send it. Some of the past stories have been debunked such as the human UFO mutilation in South America.
While debunked that was still a strange series of events. The Ventem Masks, yes? This episode, the Thing in the Charterhouse, is more of a personal account. I don't recall this story showing up in news feed for example.

Last edited:
I've long been a fan of Bedtime Stories but one double-episode had me shaking my head and chuckling.
Called "The Kentucky Goblins", I recalled the first part from a paranormal book of my reading in the dim and distant past. The second part intrigued me ... right up until it mirrored to an 'uncanny' degree the H. P. Lovecraft story "The Whisperer in The Darkness". It was like someone - not the You Tuber, I'm sure - had taken the original encounter from 1955 and used it in conjunction with the Lovecraft story, thinking no one would spot the comparison.

To add to the Charterhouse mix, I remember a local person telling me he'd seen an ABC not far away as well. The Mendips are a weird place. Anywhere with all that undergroundness goes high on the weirdness scale for me.

To add to the Charterhouse mix, I remember a local person telling me he'd seen an ABC not far away as well. The Mendips are a weird place. Anywhere with all that undergroundness goes high on the weirdness scale for me.

it’s definitely on my bucket list of places to visit.

Probably why I always feel at home up there! But then us Somerset lot are a strange lot anyway

As lordmongrove said, it does come across like an M.R. James story.

The contrast in style between the the Cryptonaut podcast & the Bedtime Stories one reminds me why a lot of them get on my nerves. The former waffles on with 2 annoying presenters for 1hr 15mins whereas the latter tells the same story calmly & succinctly in 17 minutes.

I listened to this podcast last week and was looking for a thread on this...

Thought it was a completely chilling episode, perhaps second only to the CrossWade Interloper ep in terms of sheer WTFery.

I can't find too much additional material about it, or indeed an original source. Appreciate it occurred in the early 80s, but wondered if anyone had managed to track anything down.

Back