• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Neighbour's House Haunted?

mrs_mose

Junior Acolyte
We have lived in our house since it was built in 2007, we rent it, and the next door house is also rented out. We've seen a few families come and go over the years but we have a new family next door - a young couple and their two year old son.

They've lived there for approximately a year now but it is only recently we have become good friends, mainly because of lockdown and the fact we see each other a lot more.

Anyway, today Mrs Neighbour text me to ask if anybody had died in her house. I replied that we'd known all the occupants and no one had died in there. I asked why she wanted to know.

It turns out that the little boy has on two separate occasions 'seen' something in their downstairs hallway. The first time he was screaming and crying and pointing at a spot in the hallway. Today, he was in their living room and looked down the hall and immediately ran to his dad and hid in his lap shaking in fear.

Neither Mr or Mrs have seen anything, and toddler can't speak enough to say what has scared him.

Any ideas on what it could be or what they could do?

Given the quite young age of the child, it's hard to say ...

Children at that age are still learning to recognize things (including visible phenomena) in their environment. Unless the child can articulate that the scary thing was indeed a "thing" (creature; whatever) he might well be reacting to something like moving shadows, glints or reflections.

You mentioned that he'd "seen" whatever scared him. It might be a good idea to ask Mrs. Neighbour if there's any chance he was reacting to something heard or felt (vibration) instead.

I've mentioned this before. Not sure if it adds much to the dialogue but as your 'new build' semi-detached house situation reminds me of it you're getting it anyway, hope you like it!

Techy used to live in such a house. For some reason he started colllecting Ouija boards, which can come in various creative designs. He displayed them on his stairway, highly decorative.

One day he was chatting on t'front with his neighbour Phil, who glanced up the stairs and saw the Ouija boards.
Phil said 'So THAT'S where they've come from!'

He reckoned his house had become suddenly haunted. He'd come in and see someone running up the stairs, or get up in the night for a drink and see someone in the kitchen.
Worst of all, his girlfriend refused to stay over after waking up to see a young woman in a mini skirt, heavy eye make-up and beehive hairdo standing over the bed looking at her!

The boards stayed put until Techy moved in with me, when they were placed on shelves facing my room.*
I've had no trouble from them but ghosts know better than to try scaring me.

So, my point is; you haven't been to the flea market and brought home some intriguingly exotic antique or amulet, have you? Maybe dropped it beside your front door while you decide where to best place it...
Just a thought.

*Yup, we have separate rooms. All that snoring and farting, y'know. Poor man couldn't stand it any more.

Haha, nope, not bought anything dodgy that I know of! I'll ask her if she has, you never know!

That reminds me of a local man who found a 'roman' type figurine while out fieldwalking. He took it home and all sorts of weird things started happening in his house so he took the figurine back to where he found it and reburied it and the house went back to normal!

Haha, nope, not bought anything dodgy that I know of! I'll ask her if she has, you never know!

That reminds me of a local man who found a 'roman' type figurine while out fieldwalking. He took it home and all sorts of weird things started happening in his house so he took the figurine back to where he found it and reburied it and the house went back to normal!
Wow, I wish I could see that figurine!

On the subject of childhood hallucinations, I thought of the American writer Conrad Aiken's 1934 short story 'Silent Snow, Secret Snow'.

I highly recommend this story. You can read it online or even listen to it read aloud on YouTube.
It's about a boy of 12 who becomes obsessed with snow. Not going to spoil it for anyone, even with a spoiler! just in case, y'know. A cracking read. Eerie.

On the subject of childhood hallucinations, I thought of the American writer Conrad Aiken's 1934 short story 'Silent Snow, Secret Snow'.

I highly recommend this story. You can read it online or even listen to it read aloud on YouTube.
It's about a boy of 12 who becomes obsessed with snow. Not going to spoil it for anyone, even with a spoiler! just in case, y'know. A cracking read. Eerie.
Sounds like me still and I'm 48.

To my chagrin, I have only just acquired a copy of a booklet which gives the history of my village and some of the houses therein (although not mine, which is annoying). And I have found tales of THREE ghosts! One, a poltergeist, which was active in the Old Parsonage right next door to my old house!!! The other two ghosts were a girl with her hair up seen in an upper window and a 'man on the landing' - both from the old farmhouse at the end of the village.

The fact that I've never heard anything about any of these in my 30 years of living here (and knowing the people who had the poltergeist) means that there's probably been nothing more recent than the late 60's when these were recorded.

Ho hum.

We have lived in our house since it was built in 2007, we rent it, and the next door house is also rented out. We've seen a few families come and go over the years but we have a new family next door - a young couple and their two year old son.

They've lived there for approximately a year now but it is only recently we have become good friends, mainly because of lockdown and the fact we see each other a lot more.

Anyway, today Mrs Neighbour text me to ask if anybody had died in her house. I replied that we'd known all the occupants and no one had died in there. I asked why she wanted to know.

It turns out that the little boy has on two separate occasions 'seen' something in their downstairs hallway. The first time he was screaming and crying and pointing at a spot in the hallway. Today, he was in their living room and looked down the hall and immediately ran to his dad and hid in his lap shaking in fear.

Neither Mr or Mrs have seen anything, and toddler can't speak enough to say what has scared him.

Any ideas on what it could be or what they could do?
Probably one of those times a wait and see approach might help?

I've been that disbelieved child with the "imaginary friend" and know from having my own kids, that they can pick up more stuff on their frequency than we do on our's... But still. Maybe only can be more sure it's haunted if and when an adult has a Fortean experience, there? Kids and dogs, eh? Recently been in two different churches where dog walked in happily (she sees a church door and always heads for it - maybe the smell of bones!) But both had one really distinct bit the dog flat out refused to walk into. Both were unremarkable (to us) corners - one under a belfy, the other up near the altar rail. She was having none of it.

Have posted elsewhere about my time in a Housing Association newbuild which was haunted as owt - so think these things can be connected to the underlying place, not necessarily a particular house.

Your post reminded me of summat that happened last year. Was sat in the front garden on a sunny day (I think we had one), when my neighbour sidled up to sit down and chat. At one point, she asked me the same question - had anyone died in her house. Been here over 20 years. I said yes, the person she bought the house from's husband. He was not just my neighbour but a dear friend too which I think she knew. In his late 50s, and died in the bed in the front bedroom (now my "new" neighbour's room). I thought she was going to pass out. Don't think owt paranormal going on but people probably expect most deaths these days to happen at hospital..? I hesitated for a few seconds when she asked, wondering if I should just lie and say "No". Sort of regretted telling her, afterwards as she's a sensitive soul and a great neighbour, so we want to keep her there, selfishly. She doesn't do death. Made my husband bury her cat when it was run over.

Back