• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Something Strange Happened

Andre

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Hi everyone i just want to know if any one can help just recently something strange started to happen me and my wife started noticing that when we use the bathroom tap hot water by the zinc and we close it tightly and my wife goes to the kitchen and open the hot water tap the one in the bathroom is also open like i have to turn it to close it again tightly last night i let hot water tap run while i was busy washing my face because it takes a while for the water to become hot so while i was busy washing my face i rinsed my face of while the water was stil cold but runnig while my eyes where closed i emediatly noticed the water was not running any more ànd the tap was clost tightly what can this be

Hi everyone i just want to know if any one can help just recently something strange started to happen me and my wife started noticing that when we use the bathroom tap hot water by the zinc and we close it tightly and my wife goes to the kitchen and open the hot water tap the one in the bathroom is also open like i have to turn it to close it again tightly last night i let hot water tap run while i was busy washing my face because it takes a while for the water to become hot so while i was busy washing my face i rinsed my face of while the water was stil cold but runnig while my eyes where closed i emediatly noticed the water was not running any more ànd the tap was clost tightly what can this be

Sorry. That was mischievous of me.
Plausible answer is the "water hammer" effect, whereby turning a tap off suddenly produces a shock-wave through the plumbing system, often accompanied by vibration, hooting noises or a hammering sound. The shock-wave travels to the point of least resistance, which is usually another tap. If the tap mechanism is a bit worn, the vibration can turn it on.
Get a plumber to check your taps, your water-pressure, that your pipes are all properly secured and that there is no air getting into the system.

Sorry. That was mischievous of me.
Plausible answer is the "water hammer" effect, whereby turning a tap off suddenly produces a shock-wave through the plumbing system, often accompanied by vibration, hooting noises or a hammering sound. The shock-wave travels to the point of least resistance, which is usually another tap. If the tap mechanism is a bit worn, the vibration can turn it on.
Get a plumber to check your taps, your water-pressure, that your pipes are all properly secured and that there is no air getting into the system.
The other giveaway is a noise or vibration when the taps are on, caused by the open tap and the water flow sucking air in through some other part of the system. A whine or drone.

Last edited:
It's just bad plumbing.

Turning on a hot water tap and just leaving it to run while the cold water in the pipe becomes hot will cause the washer in the tap to expand and this will cut off the water.

And water hammer/ air in the pipes, is the cause of strange noises.

Happens a lot in my house.

INT21

Turning on a hot water tap and just leaving it to run while the cold water in the pipe becomes hot will cause the washer in the tap to expand and this will cut off the water.

And water hammer/ air in the pipes, is the cause of strange noises.

Happens a lot in my house.

INT21
And in ours. I often get the accusing "you've left the hot tap running". "No I haven't - it was off when I left it - its the expansion and contraction of the tap washer" Eye rolling "yes dear".

He's haunted by the ghost of punctation's past.
"What?" You mean he's tapped into pressures of the hitherto unknown clinking-and-a-clanking 'Vardoger?' (by the way... I believe it's ~ "punctuation's!" We all guilty of it, aren't we!)

"What?" You mean he's tapped into pressures of the hitherto unknown clinking-and-a-clanking 'Vardoger?' (by the way... I believe it's ~ "punctuation's!" We all guilty of it, aren't we!)
My excuse is English is not my first language, :thought: but thank you for the correction.

Back