• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Underground (Miscellaneous: Tunnels, Roads, Bunkers Etc.)

To me a reminds me of an audio plug.

To me it appears to be a pin extension of the sort inserted into a hole for positioning / assembling / adjusting a structural piece - for example, a pin on the end of a crossbar that can be inserted into one of multiple holes in a larger frame.

I know what the mystery object is. It's a counterbalance weight from inside a 'sash window' frame.
The eyelet is where the rope is attached and the weight is concealed within a box section of the frame. The rope goes up and over a small wheel at the top of the frame and then down to tie on to the top of the moving part of the window.
1593449065536.png

I don' think it's a sash weight , all the ones i've seen are cast iron and about 30mm dia and 10 inches long.

I know what the mystery object is. It's a counterbalance weight from inside a 'sash window' frame.
The eyelet is where the rope is attached and the weight is concealed within a box section of the frame. The rope goes up and over a small wheel at the top of the frame and then down to tie on to the top of the moving part of the window.
View attachment 27637
I don' think it's a sash weight , all the ones i've seen are cast iron and about 30mm dia and 10 inches long.

Coypu is right. We still have sash windows and the weights are much chunkier than that.

The only other thing I could think it resembles then is a weight from a float inside an intercept tank from a waste water pumping system.
Which could explain the increased corrosion towards the bottom end.

Me again with another puzzle. We found this in our digging. We have found some things with a slight iridescent sheen but nothing like this. This looks intended to be this way. But to me this style has only been about the last twenty years or so in general production (I know because I love iridescence). If they have broken and buried a Lalique I swear I’ll build a time machine and stop them.

Attachments

• D8F8EB23-D3C4-4769-ACFD-F1916B56DA53.jpeg
    D8F8EB23-D3C4-4769-ACFD-F1916B56DA53.jpeg
    593.1 KB · Views: 26
Whatever it is, I think it's past saving!
Unfortunately unless I get that time machine. Which would be helpful to see what we are dealing with. My message to them would be ‘Do you not have dustmen?’ I’m pretty certain dustmen/rubbish men have been about for years.

I think it’s an out of place object. Because we never put it in there and the older iridescent stuff doesn’t look like that.

But to me this style has only been about the last twenty years or so in general production (I know because I love iridescence). If they have broken and buried a Lalique I swear I’ll build a time machine and stop them

An iridescent sheen is a natural effect of chemical processes affecting buried glass. It's a well-known and common feature of excavated glass dating back centuries. It's also been a deliberate surface treatment (for aesthetic effect) in glass production since at least as early as the 19th century.

Me again with another puzzle. We found this in our digging. We have found some things with a slight iridescent sheen but nothing like this. This looks intended to be this way. But to me this style has only been about the last twenty years or so in general production (I know because I love iridescence). If they have broken and buried a Lalique I swear I’ll build a time machine and stop them.
I'm not saying that's Roman, but I have seen ancient Roman glass that had an iridescent sheen to it.

An iridescent sheen is a natural effect of chemical processes affecting buried glass. It's a well-known and common feature of excavated glass dating back centuries. It's also been a deliberate surface treatment (for aesthetic effect) in glass production since at least as early as the 19th century.
I'm not saying that's Roman, but I have seen ancient Roman glass that had an iridescent sheen to it.
We did find some other bits with slight iridescences but nothing like this. The historical iridescent items I’ve seen has a less uniform iridescence from this.

Attachments

• 7BB906DF-A1C7-49C6-9E88-F5220F82121B.jpeg
    7BB906DF-A1C7-49C6-9E88-F5220F82121B.jpeg
    502.1 KB · Views: 7
Looks like mother of pearl, maybe a sea shell.

yep - paua shells. Very common in New Zealand gardens - you can pick them up from a wander on the beach and folk put them in their gardens.

220px-Haliotis_iris_shell_2.jpg

edit: you can put it inside glass.

My wife who has a better degree in this sort of stuff suggests it some random form of iridescent shell in glass not necessarily paua.

Last edited:
Another day another enigma in our garden. This is a completely different area from last time. It’s one foot four inches down in the corner so far. I’m hoping it’s a swimming pool :rollingw:

I swear the previous owners buried all this stuff just to drive us crazy. :huh:View attachment 27434View attachment 27435

Well we’ve not got a lot further. It doesn’t appear to be an air raid shelter (boo). But what it is has got us stumped. It seems it had been painted so was intended to be seen but it’s well below ground. It’s at least four feet deep. The left hand edge stops (at the side of the picture), we’ve dug down and can’t find any continuation. We don’t know how far it goes to the right (too much flotsam and jetsam) but it seems to go to at least another fence post. There doesn’t seem to be a forward edge on the right hand side. We found some electrics which may have been something connected to it. It’s really got us stumped. If it was a pond or something they’d need to be another edge. We’ve dug in both directions from the broken edge. Why has everything we’ve found got no explanation?

I buried a time capsule in the 90s and we can’t find that either. It’s bad when you can’t even find something you know is there. :headbang:
4AFA71E5-FEBB-4BFB-B272-F8021175307B.jpeg

Attachments

• 8385D77D-EA2C-4626-8A5C-2405ACE68B03.jpeg
    8385D77D-EA2C-4626-8A5C-2405ACE68B03.jpeg
    125 KB · Views: 13
It appears to be the top part of a jar - the rim of which seems to be in view at the top of the piece.

old cosmetics/face creme jar?

View attachment 27636
Not much more to report unfortunately but I was wonder if any of you guys know what this is. It appears to be copper on the outside and it’s quite heavy so could have lead inside.

Could this be a short lenghth of a old electric power feed as in main to house?

Could this be a short lenghth of a old electric power feed as in main to house?
Maybe the house is 1920s so could have had some pretty early connections.

Our house still has ceramics runners around the outside of the house.

Well we’ve not got a lot further. It doesn’t appear to be an air raid shelter (boo). But what it is has got us stumped. It seems it had been painted so was intended to be seen but it’s well below ground. It’s at least four feet deep. The left hand edge stops (at the side of the picture), we’ve dug down and can’t find any continuation. We don’t know how far it goes to the right (too much flotsam and jetsam) but it seems to go to at least another fence post. There doesn’t seem to be a forward edge on the right hand side. We found some electrics which may have been something connected to it. It’s really got us stumped. If it was a pond or something they’d need to be another edge. We’ve dug in both directions from the broken edge. Why has everything we’ve found got no explanation?

I buried a time capsule in the 90s and we can’t find that either. It’s bad when you can’t even find something you know is there. :headbang:View attachment 27842
Wonder if that is what is left over from an old type Greenhouse? If it is, the walled side should be to the North?
The wires might be from a water pump into the Greenhouse?

Ground base.jpg

North is the left hand wall.
Well then 'MorningAngel' sounds like it's a may-well-be, as it's a foundation which is shielded from the North & the East - the directions you would want to put at the back of a greenhouse?

Well then 'MorningAngel' sounds like it's a may-well-be, as it's a foundation which is shielded from the North & the East - the directions you would want to put at the back of a greenhouse?
Would you put in four feet below everything else? The back wall does seem to go on for some distance. Probably at least another six foot maybe more we haven’t found the end.

Would you put in four feet below everything else? The back wall does seem to go on for some distance. Probably at least another six foot maybe more we haven’t found the end.
Could be stepped, I've seen long Victorian Greenhouses with stepped down layers from one end to the other, so it might be a smaller version?

Back