• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

What Did You Dream Of Last Night?

I dreamed of my dear friend who passed away in March/2017. It was devastating when I lost her she was like a mother to me and the only source of unconditional love I have ever had in my lifetime.

She looked so young, fresh, and stunningly beautiful. :)

I dreamed of frogs.... Lurking in the garden ready to get me when I try to leave the house. this is a fairly regular nightmare for me, sometimes the crocodiles join in, Last night it was only frogs ( shudder0

Fortunately the dawn chorus woke me up and it was light enough to check for Crocs under the bed.

last night i dreamt people (everyone) were origami.

yep.

human sized folded paper. in orange, green and red.

i don't even know what that means.

i then had another dream in which i was lying on the floor of a lift. it was a nice lift, clean and carpeted, but i was just lying there and everyone was stepping round me and ignoring me.

I was back in the town where I first walked the beat 45 years ago (!)

In a shop doorway, Katherine Jenkins was singing an opera aria, though she didn't present her usual polished appearance:

iu

Rather, she was muffled up in numerous layers of tatty clothing, topped off with a Compo-style woolly hat. She was still gorgeous, though, and the song was bewitching.

I crossed the street to get closer and to take a picture, but just as she ended the song and began to collect her numerous belongings, including two bicycles and sheets of what looked like heavy wire mesh fencing.

I gallantly offered to help her (well you would, wouldn't you?), and ended up lumbered with at least one bike and some fencing. I followed her (well you would, wouldn't you?) as she set off up the main street towards my old nick...

Awake.

maximus otter

I was going through a box looking for something. Under layers of papers I finally found what I was looking for which was a roll of paper, then I woke up.

I've not been dreaming much in the Lockdown but last night I set a YouTube video running on my phone to fall asleep to. It was an MR James story read by Michael Horderne and others followed on so it played all night. Had dreams about Gothic mansions, faintly-glimpsed menacing figures, mysterious parchments...

Woke up to the sound of snoring. Thought 'Oh here I am, snoring, it'll stop when I'm properly awake!'
It didn't drop because it was actually Horderne snoring seconds before the bedsheet rises up to strangle him. THAT woke us BOTH up!

I was discussing the finer points of Devs with Nick Offerman. Nice of him to show up and explain it for me, I guess the time difference allows him to do that.

Dreamt I was homeless, and standing at the back fence of a posh country club out in the middle of nowhere, population 47, wondering how such a club could exist in such limited surroundings.

I dreamt of a house I have dreamt of a few times over the years
There was a large aviary in an enclosed area and I was worried because I hadn't fed the birds for a long time.
I had a few crisps in my hand which I crumbled and threw on the ground. Lots of tiny birds came out to eat the crumbs and I thought I should get some proper seed as they were very tiny, but then I woke up.

I had a football dream. Came on as sub at half time in a cup final where we were a goal down. As in all football dreams, we won.

Usually I don't remember much detail of my dreams, but whenever I have a football dream- which isn't very often, every couple of years maybe- I can remember everything. Does anyone else find this?

Last edited:
't'other night I dreamed I went into work (haven't been in for weeks) and noticed that all looked normal, except for a little re-positioning of furniture to take account of social distancing.

While being given the details of my shift I kept interrupting, saying 'That's not safe!' and 'Hold it, do WHAT?' and so on.

While this was going on a colleague walked behind me to her locker and I said 'See? We can't stay six feet from each other! This is not safe! I'm going home!' and turned to stomp out.

Just then Techy offered me a coffee and I woke up.

Normally the subconscious presents us with the brutal truth wrapped up in metaphors. Seems mine just wanted to get to the point.

't'other night I dreamed I went into work (haven't been in for weeks) and noticed that all looked normal, except for a little re-positioning of furniture to take account of social distancing.

While being given the details of my shift I kept interrupting, saying 'That's not safe!' and 'Hold it, do WHAT?' and so on.

While this was going on a colleague walked behind me to her locker and I said 'See? We can't stay six feet from each other! This is not safe! I'm going home!' and turned to stomp out.

Normally the subconscious presents us with the brutal truth wrapped up in metaphors. Seems mine just wanted to get to the point.
Just like in real life, then...

We're trying to buy a dog and in my half-awake state this morning, I heard a dog yelp twice and I suddenly was wide awake thinking "The dog's hurt itself". Then I realised that we haven't got one yet.

It turns out my daughter heard the yelps too so it must have been a father-daughter shared waking dream, the sounds psychically slipping through from my subconcious to hers. Is this possible? Ancient Alien theorists say yes. And is it linked to a mysterious treasure? Who put it there? And if it wasn't aliens, was it the Knights Templar?

Or it was a real dog outside. You decide.

Last edited:
The perfectly-preserved mummy of a rather portly Chinese woman had been discovered and put on public exhibition (by Chinese scientists, I believe).

The display was within a cylindrical glass wall, and consisted of the mummy on a large, pure white bed. An especially weird aspect of the dream was that members of the public could book a slot to enter the exhibit and handle the mummy. Apparently, my wife and I, plus a third person (not positively identified), had booked a ten-hour time period.

I contented myself with touching the mummy's arm, and confirmed that it was indeed perfectly preserved, as the flesh was indistinguishable from living skin and muscle.

My wife and the unknown, however, were manipulating the body, kneading the hands, waving the arms about, etc. I found all of this rather distasteful and distinctly non-scientific.

Fin.

The "Chinese woman" aspect may well come from the fact that we've just started watching Killing Eve, starring Sandra Oh. The rest...?

maximus otter

Yesterday I took a friend some pies I'd made. Earlier in the week he also received a home-made jam sponge pudding which I'd had trouble removing from the special steaming basin. It nearly fell to bits.

So...
Last night I left a Youtube reading of The Silence of the Lambs playing as I fell asleep. It has a reasonable approximation of Hannibal'/Hopkins' voice so is very creepy.

My main dream was of noticing that my new neighbour across the road was Hannibal (as played by Hopkins of course) whom I could only see by peeping between his huge metal gates.

Hannibal noticed me and called out. He was sitting in a chair in the garden and told me he'd like to invite me to a barbecue but couldn't go out (Covid? Keeping a low profile?) and instead offered me some pie he'd made.

He wouldn't open the gates so I had to try to manoeuvre the pie between them. It was starting to slide off and break up.
I thought 'Well, this is a bit silly. What's the filling anyway?'

It was red and looked like cherry. What else could it be, in a pie baked by Hannibal Lecter?

This dream actually came true. After a few weeks off I went into work on Tuesday to discuss gong back, and nothing, not a thing, has been done about social distancing, apart from a few A4-sized posters.

I kicked off a bit and was advised to stay off until I feel safe to go back; in other words, 'Shove off and let us all die in peace.'

Last night's dream was about my lovely garden, where I have been spending a lot of time.

In the dream some of the flowers had developed into seed pods that look like pickled onions.*

Techy was busily clipping a shrub nearby. I called him over to look at the funny pods, which then turned into bunches of closely-packed white berries. Small birds began flocking around them.

I thought 'They're hummingbirds! Oh wait, they don't live here, wonder if they're wrens?'
I was still calling Techy over while trying not to alarm the birds when he walked in with a delicious coffee and woke me up.

I'm interpreting this dream as pride in my garden and joy about its usefulness to wildlife.

*We like pickled onions and while eating some in the garden last week I told Techy the Pickled Onion Joke. It went down well.

I always go to the same places over and over again --familiar routes and places and landscapes; I could even draw a dream map, almost. I look forward to going to those places at night.

I've had two very vivid dreams recently. My father has been in hospital for a few weeks and has limited mobility due to spinal fractures.

So about a week ago, I dreamt that it was night time and we were standing in some sort of 1970's style inner courtyard with concrete plant pots. He was dancing in torrential rain wearing pyjamas and sheepskin slippers. He was jumping in puddles and laughing like a child. He kept raising his hands up and saying that the pain was gone and he was OK again. He was dancing a jigg and I was so happy that he could move again.

I awoke and presumed that I was worried about his health and the dream was my way of wishing him better. I got a call later that day to say that they had found cancer and their main aim was to make him pain free as it was terminal.

The second vivid dream happened a few nights ago.

I was dining outdoors in the late evening with my wife and daughter. I didn't know where I was but it turned out later to be London. I saw a single firework in the sky and thought how strange it was as it wasn't Guy Fawkes night - it was a late summer evening. As I watched the fireword die out, there was an almighty woosh and a huge meteorite appeared high up in the atmosphere. It screamed downwards, glowing bright orange as it heated up underneath and leaving white smoke it its trail. I realised with horror that it was going to hit. It landed somewhere unseen lost behind some rooftops - the ground shook and the noise was deafening. I "knew" that we had either about 1 second to live or, if we did survive, that we needed to get as far away, as fast as possible.

I gripped my wife and daughters hands and said "I love you" and closed my eyes waiting to die. Nothing happened. I opened them again and the sky was filled with a smoky, orange glow. I said that we need to move now and I dragged them off, downhill down a street to where our car was parked. But when we got there, I couldn't see it. Someone had stolen in. People were already screaming and running in all directions, the roads blocked already. I thought about knocking someone off a motorbike and stealing it but realised that we were 3 people who needed to get away. I felt helpless and didn't know what to do.

The next bit gets fuzzy but somehow time skipped forward and the world realised that it wasn't a meteorite that fell but a mechanical probe sent to examine us. I "remembered" in my dream having seen a straight top edge on the meteorite as it fell, silhouetted against the orange glow..

That's all I can remember. It was very vivid though with a kind of War of the Worlds flavour.

Last night's dream – Nigel Planer was a Neo-Nazi private eye hired by Latin-American street corner drug dealers who were being haunted! Pull the bones out of that, Freud! It would make a great TV show, though.

Back