• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19): Conspiracy Theories & Claims

Ah, the joys of sourcing all my meat from local farms and butchers.
I sense the re-emergence of the blame game towards Chinese food markets.

This is amusing.
Just as I was typing this response, my wife brought in a letter just delivered. It's from Imperial College and bears the approval of The Department of Health and Social Care, Ipsos MORI and the NHS.
It's inviting me to "participate in a COVID-19 in-home antibody testing research study".
  • It claims to "help the Government develop it's approach to COVID-19 antibody testing". Umm. Shouldn't that approach be already decided upon as soon as Hopalong Hancock announced how many they'd be doing?
  • This study is entirely voluntary and I was selected at random from the NHS patient list. So will this test count towards the governments false figures of how many tests they've done?
  • It helpfully points out that the antibody test is not 100% accurate (statement issued from the Department of Blindingly Obvious). It goes on to state "this means that although the test is not accurate enough to confirm whether or not an individual has had COVID-19, this research will allow us to estimate how many people in England have already been infected with the virus." Now, I'm not big in scientific data analysis but doesn't these words mean that they want to base an estimation on research that's not reliable?
I've already decided to take part but that I was interacting with a message board thread concerning COVID-19 conspiracies when I got the letter made me think. Coincidence or ...
Have I enough tin foil in the kitchen to make a fetching Homburg? :hide:
They want your DNA.

Either means they'd be in big trouble.
On one hand, I haven't left any evidence ... er ... done any crime and on the other, they really don't want another one of me. Actually, no one does. Even my wife. :)

Forget the tinfoil hat. Most of us are sporting homemade tinfoil deely boppers and old knicker face masks.

This is a funny debunking:

A friend who’s fully into the covid conspiracies sent me this post that says Captain America predicted the coronavirus outbreak in 2011, and while its obviously bs, I started fixating on that circled image on the right.

I started watching random YouTube videos and looking for images from April 2011 in Times Square. No clear view of the poster. Wes started scouring Bing and google street view.

A Russian Orthodox monk has seized control of a monastery, claiming COVID-19 and lockdown protocols were parts of a conspiracy.
Russian monk denying coronavirus takes control of monastery

A rebellious Russian monk who has denied the coronavirus’ existence and urged believers to ignore the Kremlin’s lockdown orders has taken control of a monastery in the Ural Mountains.

Father Sergiy showed up Tuesday at the Sredneuralsk women’s monastery that he had founded years ago and took charge. Scores of volunteers, including battle-hardened veterans of the separatist conflict in eastern Ukraine, helped enforce his rules, while the prioress and several nuns have left.

Hundreds of believers from Yekaterinburg and other cities in the Urals have flocked to the convent to hear the priest’s fiery sermons. ...

The Russian Orthodox Church has denounced Father Sergiy’s move ... Police visited the monastery Wednesday and found no violations.

Last month, the monk was suspended by the church leadership following his continuous calls to disobey the closure of churches during the lockdown. Orthodox churches across Russia were closed to parishioners on April 13 because of the coronavirus outbreak and were only allowed to reopen earlier this month.

Father Sergiy has declared the coronavirus non-existent and urged believers to ignore the lockdown orders from authorities. He denounced electronic passes introduced in Moscow and some other regions as part of efforts to stem the outbreak as “Satan’s electronic camp.” The monk has described the vaccines being developed against COVID-19 as part of a global plot to control the masses. ...

The monk has ignored the church’s ban. In a video from his cell where icons and images of Orthodox Church hierarchs of the past adorn the wall alongside pictures of Russia’s last Czar, Nicholas II, and Soviet dictator Josef Stalin, he warned church officials that they will need to seize the monastery by force to get him out.

SOURCE: https://apnews.com/d837e94d378c2b4efb8df52a7431e697

Those suffering from paranoia are more likely to attack masts and engineers.

Psychologists have discovered that people who believe in conspiracy theories linking coronavirus to 5G are more likely to feel justified to have a violent response towards the technology, amid a series of attacks on 5G phone masts.

Despite experts stressing there is no link between the latest telecoms technology and the spread of the coronavirus around the world, there have been arson attacks on masts and engineers have been verbally abused since the start of the pandemic. Fires have been started on 5G masts across Europe, Canada, the US and New Zealand by conspiracy theorists who mistakenly state the technology’s radiation is causing the Covid-19 symptoms, rather than a virus.

Psychologists from Northumbria University in Newcastle spoke to more than 600 people to study why people believing these theories could resort to violence. Their findings, published in the British Journal of Psychology, found a correlation between those believing in the theories and their level of ‘state anger’ – temporary, short-lasting outbursts of anger.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/break...st-attacks-to-anger-and-paranoia-1006634.html

Please analyse what you see here, and give your reasoned opinions as to whether this purportedly-2014 supposedly-Ebola discussion really is what it's depicted as being....or is some kind of contemporary retroconfection. I'm unsure....

The 2010 Rockerfeller 'Scenarios' report referenced extensively within it appears to exist https://ictframe.com/scenarios-for-the-future-of-technology-and-international-development/

If it is all genuine (which I doubt...but...) it is very disturbing....

This appears to be far too neat: totally- impossible resonance of statistics, in a completely-falsified reporting framework...or is it?

Can it be debunked? Is it a spoof/satire? Very worrying....but worth trying to unpick.

If this is all fabricated to look like false news, who's gone to that effort? Or if it is all 'real' news, is it false or an infinitely-improbable coincidence? Note that this doesn't appear to be just a simple US tv syndication follow-on effect...

This appears to be far too neat: totally- impossible resonance of statistics, in a completely-falsified reporting framework...or is it?

Can it be debunked? Is it a spoof/satire? Very worrying....but worth trying to unpick.

If this is all fabricated to look like false news, who's gone to that effort? Or if it is all 'real' news, is it false or an infinitely-improbable coincidence? Note that this doesn't appear to be just a simple US tv syndication follow-on effect...

Whoever put that together wants to focus on the number 33.

My guess is that someone wants to plant the idea the Covid 19 outbreak was Freemason conspiracy, some, but not all, parts of Freemasonry having 33 degrees.

Whoever put that together wants to focus on the number 33.

My guess is that someone wants to plant the idea the Covid 19 outbreak was Freemason conspiracy, some, but not all, parts of Freemasonry having 33 degrees.
Jesus died at 33. Records rotate at 33.33 RPM.
It's clearly a conspiracy.

This is a funny debunking:

A friend who’s fully into the covid conspiracies sent me this post that says Captain America predicted the coronavirus outbreak in 2011, and while its obviously bs, I started fixating on that circled image on the right.

I started watching random YouTube videos and looking for images from April 2011 in Times Square. No clear view of the poster. Wes started scouring Bing and google street view.

I do't have the link to hand, but someone on Reddit figured it out - it's an advert for some sort of pasta I think - just what was randomly on that advert hoarding the day they were filming. Guy had a good clear picture of it from another angle.

I do't have the link to hand, but someone on Reddit figured it out - it's an advert for some sort of pasta I think - just what was randomly on that advert hoarding the day they were filming. Guy had a good clear picture of it from another angle.
The reddit/twitter thread has been posted on here somewhere. Quite amusing.

Please analyse what you see here, and give your reasoned opinions as to whether this purportedly-2014 supposedly-Ebola discussion really is what it's depicted as being....or is some kind of contemporary retroconfection. I'm unsure....

The 2010 Rockerfeller 'Scenarios' report referenced extensively within it appears to exist https://ictframe.com/scenarios-for-the-future-of-technology-and-international-development/

I cant really say whether the video itself is real, but my opinion is that his opinion is the usual shouty crap.

The Elite of the world want us all under even more control (nothing new there then) and under curfews so we are all sat at home watching commercial tv. The Capitalists want to do away with poor brown people (again, whats new) with a plague like ebola (or ibuller as he pronounces it!) Dropped from planes. They want to stop travel and tourism because They dont care about tourism, and being asked to wear a mask on the subway is just the first step to cavity searches (he mentions cavity searches a few times).

None of this is very new. And whilst possible The Elite could be doing this, time and time again They've proven Their ineptitude to getting it done.

Wrecking the global economy hasnt put us under capitalist control becsuse no one has any money! Entire industries are broken and millions of poor people around the world have nothing. What will happen now? Ooh maybe more attempted migration? The oppressed rising up? And whats happening there? Even with a militarised police force in certain countries it hasnt stopped people. And killing a relativly few- in the global sense- through police violence, social neglect, lack of healthcare, and government complacency hasnt worked has it?

If there is a master plan its failed.

Besides why would the rockerfeller group publish the plan? And the other scenarios?
Future-Of-Technology-and-International-Development.png
Smart scramble might come next and how will the capitalist elite control that?

Its an interesting debate but mr shouty up there was just irritating.

On the BBC Radio 5 Live phone in earlier, one caller voiced their suspicions of a link between countries with the highest rates of flu vaccinations and the highest rates of Coronavirus cases and fatalities.

I, along with many workers, have a routine flu jab each year provided free of charge by my employer and , at 72.6%, the UK vaccinates a far higher proportion of its population against the flu than say Germany at 34.8%.

The Netherlands, however, vaccinates almost as many as the UK but were hit to a lesser degree by Coronavirus.

The radio presenter scoffed (politely) at the caller and asked him if he was an anti-vaxxer in general. He denied it, but was adamant about the link between flu-jabs and susceptibility to Coronavirus.

https://www.vaccinestoday.eu/stories/flu-vaccine-did-your-country-hit-its-target/

Last edited:
Ah, the joys of sourcing all my meat from local farms and butchers.
I sense the re-emergence of the blame game towards Chinese food markets.

This is amusing.
Just as I was typing this response, my wife brought in a letter just delivered. It's from Imperial College and bears the approval of The Department of Health and Social Care, Ipsos MORI and the NHS.
It's inviting me to "participate in a COVID-19 in-home antibody testing research study".
  • It claims to "help the Government develop it's approach to COVID-19 antibody testing". Umm. Shouldn't that approach be already decided upon as soon as Hopalong Hancock announced how many they'd be doing?
  • This study is entirely voluntary and I was selected at random from the NHS patient list. So will this test count towards the governments false figures of how many tests they've done?
  • It helpfully points out that the antibody test is not 100% accurate (statement issued from the Department of Blindingly Obvious). It goes on to state "this means that although the test is not accurate enough to confirm whether or not an individual has had COVID-19, this research will allow us to estimate how many people in England have already been infected with the virus." Now, I'm not big in scientific data analysis but doesn't these words mean that they want to base an estimation on research that's not reliable?
I've already decided to take part but that I was interacting with a message board thread concerning COVID-19 conspiracies when I got the letter made me think. Coincidence or ...
Have I enough tin foil in the kitchen to make a fetching Homburg? :hide:

I had the same letter and then a reminder. It's astonishing how many times I'm "selected at random" by all sorts of authorities and bodies. Maybe these characters don't like the fact that I fly below the radar all the time. Off to Sainsburys to buy some more foil for a bigger hat.

This is not an official conspiracy theory but it still could become one:

The governor of Florida lifted the lockdown because Trump wanted him to lift the lockdown. Why was Trump so anxious for Republican governors to lift the lockdown? Because timing is everything, in this case timing of the second wave: if cases and deaths are rising in the Fall, Trump is toast, but if cases and deaths are falling in the Fall, Trump will coast. Did Trump seek Fauci's advice about the best timing for Trump to lift the lockdown? What does Fauci know and when did he know it? Hey, right-wing crazies shouldn't have all the fun with conspiracies.

https://marginalrevolution.com/marg...n-uptick-in-cases.html#blog-comment-160108618

"They" had everybody pretty much under control with social media - introducing this virus has made it impossible for anyone to trust anything. Not a good look for the Illuminati. I'm guessing some middle manager fucked up at Illuminati headquarters in Ingolstadt.

On the BBC Radio 5 Live phone in earlier, one caller voiced their suspicions of a link between countries with the highest rates of flu vaccinations and the highest rates of Coronavirus cases and fatalities.

I, along with many workers, have a routine flu jab each year provided free of charge by my employer and , at 72.6%, the UK vaccinates a far higher proportion of its population against the flu than say Germany at 34.8%.

The Netherlands, however, vaccinates almost as many as the UK but were hit to a lesser degree by Coronavirus.

The radio presenter scoffed (politely) at the caller and asked him if he was an anti-vaxxer in general. He denied it, but was adamant about the link between flu-jabs and susceptibility to Coronavirus.

https://www.vaccinestoday.eu/stories/flu-vaccine-did-your-country-hit-its-target/

The BBC Radio 5 Live phone-in earlier had another guest promoting the flu jab making you more susceptible to Covid19 conspiracy. The radio host cut them off fairly quickly and said "I gather you hold anti-vaxxer beliefs in general, so I'm not going to give you airtime to spread your dangerous beliefs."

I wondered how this conspiracy could have started and did a little Googling.
The following article in The Mirror is similar to several mainstream reports published around the start of lockdown and warns that people who routinely have the flu jab should be particularly careful about social distancing and shielding. This isn't because of the flu jab per se, but because these people tend to be more elderly or have underlying health problems. I can see though how articles like this could be misinterpreted.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/coronavirus-top-medic-warns-anyone-21708701

I had the same letter and then a reminder. It's astonishing how many times I'm "selected at random" by all sorts of authorities and bodies. Maybe these characters don't like the fact that I fly below the radar all the time. Off to Sainsburys to buy some more foil for a bigger hat.
I'd hazard a guess at semi-random selection. Once you show a willingness to participate, you are noted as such. The initial selection may've been random but if you are happy to take part in other studies then it saves the cost of sending out literature to those who don't take part.
Most things like this always add a 'tick box' if you'd like to take part further.

I'd hazard a guess at semi-random selection. Once you show a willingness to participate, you are noted as such. The initial selection may've been random but if you are happy to take part in other studies then it saves the cost of sending out literature to those who don't take part.
Most things like this always add a 'tick box' if you'd like to take part further.
Yes that would be the obvious explanation, except for the fact that I don't participate in these things! It's probably something to do with my age etc.

Before this home antibody test thingie, the only thing I'm on is You Gov. So, I really haven't taken part in anything such as health research.
I assumed that it was my NHS number that was 'selected' at random and it was the NHS (who are in collaboration) who sent me the initial letter, for me to respond online or not.
This way 1) the population sample is randomly chosen from all NHS users, 2) personal data such as address needn't be given to I.C. or the testing firm and 3) if contactees don't wish to take part then a 'no response' indicates refusal. When I went online to respond I had, in fact, given consent to take part and 'allowed' my data i.e. postal address to be used by I.C. direct.

This is not an official conspiracy theory but it still could become one:

The governor of Florida lifted the lockdown because Trump wanted him to lift the lockdown. Why was Trump so anxious for Republican governors to lift the lockdown? Because timing is everything, in this case timing of the second wave: if cases and deaths are rising in the Fall, Trump is toast, but if cases and deaths are falling in the Fall, Trump will coast. Did Trump seek Fauci's advice about the best timing for Trump to lift the lockdown? What does Fauci know and when did he know it? Hey, right-wing crazies shouldn't have all the fun with conspiracies.

https://marginalrevolution.com/marg...n-uptick-in-cases.html#blog-comment-160108618

I can accept that as being possible, in the same way I believe Boris & Co are stumbling forward in a great rush to get everybody back to work, school, out and about ASAFP - simply to let us all get a sniff of normality, earn a few quid, go on hols etc, knowing that when the colder weather draws in*, they will be using those Phoenix hospitals they built and imposing lockdown again as the body count rises.
They don't want people kicking off about having freedoms curtailed and being kept on furlough for the best part of a year (by the time next Spring rolls around, the weather warms and cases tail off again), let alone having empty Treasury coffers to deal with.
Best of all, when that second spike starts to hit, around the end of September, they can blame US! We were the ones flocking to beaches, having parties, acting as if everything is normal again. What more could HM Govt do?

* The hint being the recently reported spikes in refrigerated food processing works. Not subtle, but the message is clear - when the weather turns cold, prepare for more Covid capers.

Have we tried 2 pandemics at once yet?
Scientists Say New Strain of Swine Flu Virus Is Spreading to Humans in China. New study warns that the strain of H1N1, common on China’s pig farms since 2016, should be “urgently” controlled to avoid another pandemic. https://t.co/7S58csjdUX

I can accept that as being possible, in the same way I believe Boris & Co are stumbling forward in a great rush to get everybody back to work, school, out and about ASAFP - simply to let us all get a sniff of normality, earn a few quid, go on hols etc, knowing that when the colder weather draws in*, they will be using those Phoenix hospitals they built and imposing lockdown again as the body count rises.
They don't want people kicking off about having freedoms curtailed and being kept on furlough for the best part of a year (by the time next Spring rolls around, the weather warms and cases tail off again), let alone having empty Treasury coffers to deal with.
Best of all, when that second spike starts to hit, around the end of September, they can blame US! We were the ones flocking to beaches, having parties, acting as if everything is normal again. What more could HM Govt do?

* The hint being the recently reported spikes in refrigerated food processing works. Not subtle, but the message is clear - when the weather turns cold, prepare for more Covid capers.
The initial quarantine conditions was all about not overwhelming the nhs when it was still in winter mode. Getting everyone back our there now would mean a second wave before next winter.

Getting everyone back our there now would mean a second wave before next winter
So in terms of cyclic seasonal 'release from lockdown' timelines....does your justifiable statement (within its own framework of logic) therefore envisage the UK March-June "'Boris 12weeks & we're sorted'', ideally, to be extended into being a March-September two-quarters quarantine?

A broken spring followed by a sunless summer?

Whilst there will be a defendable logic in doing this, does this really even sound the slightest bit practical?

I am of course aware that this is a highly-emotive subject, but this whole pandemic, overall (whether the disease itself or much of the governmental & scientifc responses) makes zero sense.

So in terms of cyclic seasonal 'release from lockdown' timelines....does your justifiable statement (within its own framework of logic) therefore envisage the UK March-June "'Boris 12weeks & we're sorted'', ideally, to be extended into being a March-September two-quarters quarantine?

A broken spring followed by a sunless summer?

Whilst there will be a defendable logic in doing this, does this really even sound the slightest bit practical?

I am of course aware that this is a highly-emotive subject, but this whole pandemic, overall (whether the disease itself or much of the governmental & scientifc responses) makes zero sense.
Oh no. Im not saying i approve! But the uk gov was quite open in the early stages about why they wanted lockdown. It was the slogan- protect the nhs! So it wouldnt surprise me if they had a plan for if a second wave was to happen, for it to be late summer early autumn, rather than wintertime.

Maybe its easier to hope there is no second wave, but if they have to re-lockdown, and all the economic issues with that, deal with it then.

Whereas staying lockdown will defo cost money.

But that said im also not sure any of them know what they are doing.

Back