• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Retro-Science: The Churchill Egg

This made me automatically think of the Presidents escape pod in "Escape From New York".

Ah ... how times have changed.

yes he used it... presurised egg so that he could travel comfortably at altitude not normaly asociated with unfit, fat cigar smokeing alcoholics!... installed in his normal unpreshurised Avro York (i think).

Hmmm...

Should be used on the business class porkers who fly across to the States and back.
Or do they already do so ... and we plebs don't get told!

sidecar_jon said:
yes he used it... presurised egg so that he could travel comfortably at altitude not normaly asociated with unfit, fat cigar smokeing alcoholics!... installed in his normal unpreshurised Avro York (i think).

jon with advertising like that they will fly off the shelves.

Here's a photo of the Churchill Egg's designer and the device.

Churchill-Egg-A.jpg

SOURCE: LIFE magazine, 10 February 1947, p. 32.​
See Also:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id...pg=PA32&redir_esc=y&hl=en#v=onepage&q&f=false

https://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2012/02/w...e-secret-weapons-and-gadgets-of-world-war-ii/

It looks like utter rubbish - as if he, (or anyone), apart from astronauts would go in that?

Also how heavy was it?

Have we any better sources? Also EG your first link just goes to recipe links for food.

It looks like utter rubbish - as if he, (or anyone), apart from astronauts would go in that?

Also how heavy was it?

Have we any better sources? Also EG your first link just goes to recipe links for food.

The Egg item is the one above the recipes. You have to scroll.

The OP is 16 years old. Was this the original title or has it been renamed?
I would have thought Bomb Shelters to be a more accurate category than Retro-Science.

The OP is 16 years old. Was this the original title or has it been renamed?
I would have thought Bomb Shelters to be a more accurate category than Retro-Science.

That's the way this thread was originally titled.

Back