• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ridiculous Accidents

At some point I rinsed my hands with sanitiser and then, a couple of minutes later, went to re-arrange one of the candles and reached over a naked flame. The alcoholic sanitiser vapour caught fire.
:eek: A cautionary tale indeed! I bet this is becoming more common. Glad you weren't too badly hurt!

There is one benefit from burning both hands - no wrinkles!

Someone asked me today if I smoke and I said, nope, never once, not even when I set fire to myself last week...

That’s why we check the harnesses are tight around the groin of the guys who work at height. If they fall and the harness is loose, they will likely de-glove their bollocks.

I won’t post a gory photo but if you’re not eating for an hour or two and are interested, follow the link.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=d...HSxUIHVjwDIIQ_AUoAXoECA0QAw&biw=1261&bih=1474
Just finished my evening meal, don't think I'll bother with a pudding. There have been some gruesome reports of degloving from cars airbags, these were on the hands not the clam digger. I now drive with hands at 8&4 o'clock.

A mate swore to me that he knew a woman who'd been persuaded by a boyfriend to accommodate a fish. Great fun until its gills opened and it jammed. They slunk to A&E where it was 'delivered' with forceps.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've prepared tilapia .. part of my process was removing the seriously sharp and hard spines before we sold them. He won't be doing that again in a hurry. A rainbow trout is much better.

We've all done it.

A mate swore to me that he knew a woman who'd been persuaded by a boyfriend to accommodate a fish. Great fun until its gills opened and it jammed. They slunk to A&E where it was 'delivered' with forceps.
Stick to champagne. Beats the heck out of drinking it from a shoe.

Never try marshmallows, or marmalade especially if your partner has a beard............so I'm told...er.. :oops:

A girl I worked with years ago told us that her boyfriend had experimented on her with a beer bottle.

"It was fine on the way in but he hadn't taken the lid off."

:eek:

Just reading about it! -- ouch!

At least he didn't swallow it.

A man has blown up part of his house in France while trying to swat a fly.

The man, who is in his 80s, was about to tuck into his dinner when he became irritated by a fly buzzing around him. He picked up an electric racket designed to kill bugs and start swatting at it - but a gas canister was leaking in his Dordogne home. A reaction between the racket and the gas caused an explosion, destroying the kitchen and partly damaging the roof of the home in Parcoul-Chenaud village.

According to local media, the unnamed man had a lucky escape, sustaining just a burn to the hand.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-54051423

Man Dies After Getting Stuck In Water Park Support Pipe

17th Aug 2020: Emergency Services were called to Eldorado Aquatic Park in Scottsdale, Arizona, after receiving reports of a 32-year-old man who was stuck. A police officer heard muffled cries for help as he patrolled the area and eventually realised they were coming from one of the pipes that help to hold up a water slide at the park. It's not known how he got stuck in the pipe and crews have been working to take apart the slide in order to get the body of the victim out.
pipe.jpg

https://www.ladbible.com/news/news-man-dies-after-getting-stuck-in-waterpark-support-pipe-20200817

The man, who is in his 80s, was about to tuck into his dinner when he became irritated by a fly buzzing around him. He picked up an electric racket designed to kill bugs and start swatting at it - but a gas canister was leaking in his Dordogne home. A reaction between the racket and the gas caused an explosion, destroying the kitchen and partly damaging the roof of the home in Parcoul-Chenaud village.

According to local media, the unnamed man had a lucky escape, sustaining just a burn to the hand.

Well... it sounds like he definitely 'got' the fly!

Maybe he should have.......(wait for it)......

called in a SWAT team...!

I've only just found out about this.

The 2004 Dave Matthews Band Chicago River Incident occurred on August 8th, 2004 over the Kinzie Street Bridge in Chicago, Illinois, when a tour bus belonging to the Dave Matthews Band dumped an estimated 800 pounds of human waste from the bus's septic tank onto a passenger sightseeing boat in the Chicago River below.

The resulting controversy led to more than $300,000 in settlements, donations, and fines. The band's bus driver, Stefan Wohl, pled guilty to dumping the waste in March 2005.

The Dave Matthews Band had booked rooms at the Peninsula Hotel of 108 E. Superior St. for a two-night show at a venue in East Troy, Wisconsin. The incident occurred between the first and second night of the concert. The band booked five buses for its show; accused bus driver Stefan Wohl drove the bus of Dave Matthews Band violinist Boyd Tinsley.

During warm months, the Chicago Architecture Foundation offers a boat tour of the buildings along the Chicago River. The boats have open-roof seating, where passengers sit for the duration of the tour.

Most Chicago bridges feature riveted grating, which is used for its strength and anti-slip properties. Riveted grating allows rain and other liquids to pass through, removing need for complicated drainage systems.

On Sunday, August 8, 2004 at 1:18 PM, Dave Matthews Band bus driver Stefan Wohl drove over the Kinzie Street Bridge and emptied the contents of his bus's septic tank through the open metal grate and into the Chicago River below. The bus's tank was full, containing 800 pounds of human waste.

Earlier, passenger boat Chicago’s Little Lady left Navy Pier at its 1:00 PM scheduled boat tour departure. While passing under the bridge, the boat received the full contents of the tank on the seats of its open-roof terrace. Roughly two-thirds of the 120 passengers aboard the tour boat were soaked. The boat immediately returned to Navy Pier, where all passengers were issued refunds. Five passengers went to Northwestern Memorial Hospital for testing. According to the Illinois Attorney General, passengers aboard included persons with disabilities, elderly, a pregnant woman, a small child, and an infant. The filing also describes the incident further:

The liquid waste was brownish yellow in color, and had an foul, offensive odor. The liquid human waste went into passengers' eyes, mouths, hair, and onto clothing and personal belongings, many of which were soaked. Some of the passengers suffered nausea and vomiting as a result of exposure to the human waste.
Immediately following the incident, evidence as to the identity of the bus or bus driver was unclear to the Chicago Police Department, who stated they were investigating the incident but did not yet consider it a crime. On August 9, the Chicago Architecture Foundation released a statement that a witness had recorded license plate information, which they had turned over to the police as evidence. On August 10, bus driver Jerry Fitzpatrick, who also drove for the band, was identified as the owner of the bus's licence plate. In a phone interview, Fitzpatrick denied to a Chicago Tribune reporter that he had dumped the waste, asserting that he was parked in front of the band's hotel at the time. A publicist for the Dave Matthews Band issued a statement in response, saying that the band's management had determined that every one of its buses were parked at the time of the incident.

Fitzpatrick, who was in Effingham, Illinois at the time, instructed Sgt. Paul Gardner of the Effingham Police Department to inspect the bus's septic tank to prove that he could not have emptied it. Gardner reported to the Chicago Tribune over Fitzpatrick's cell phone that he had inspected the tank, and that it was nearly full.

State prosecutors worked with a nearby fitness gym, the East Bank Club, to determine the offending bus based on the gym's security videotapes. On August 24, Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan launched a $70,000 lawsuit against Wohl, alleging that he was responsible for the dumping. Wohl denied dumping the waste, and was supported by the band. On August 25, Mayor Richard M. Daley held a press conference about the incident, in which he released the videotape used as evidence. Mayor Daley also expressed that he believed the dumping was "absolutely unacceptable," but that he believed the Dave Matthew's Band was "a very good band."

In March 2005, Wohl plead guilty to reckless conduct and discharging contaminants to cause water pollution. He was sentenced to 18 months of probation, as well as 150 hours of community service and paid a fine of $10,000 to Friends of the Chicago River, an environmental organization responsible for maintaining the river. The Dave Matthews Band donated an additional $50,000 to Friends of the Chicago River, as well as $50,000 to the Chicago Park District, and paid the State of Illinois $200,000 as a settlement. The Dave Matthews Band additionally agreed to keep a log of when and where its buses empty their septic tanks.

No passengers suffered any long-lasting health effects from the exposure.

Source:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_Dave_Matthews_Band_Chicago_River_incident

I've only just found out about this.

The 2004 Dave Matthews Band Chicago River Incident occurred on August 8th, 2004 over the Kinzie Street Bridge in Chicago, Illinois, when a tour bus belonging to the Dave Matthews Band dumped an estimated 800 pounds of human waste from the bus's septic tank onto a passenger sightseeing boat in the Chicago River below.

The resulting controversy led to more than $300,000 in settlements, donations, and fines. The band's bus driver, Stefan Wohl, pled guilty to dumping the waste in March 2005.

The Dave Matthews Band had booked rooms at the Peninsula Hotel of 108 E. Superior St. for a two-night show at a venue in East Troy, Wisconsin. The incident occurred between the first and second night of the concert. The band booked five buses for its show; accused bus driver Stefan Wohl drove the bus of Dave Matthews Band violinist Boyd Tinsley.

During warm months, the Chicago Architecture Foundation offers a boat tour of the buildings along the Chicago River. The boats have open-roof seating, where passengers sit for the duration of the tour.

Most Chicago bridges feature riveted grating, which is used for its strength and anti-slip properties. Riveted grating allows rain and other liquids to pass through, removing need for complicated drainage systems.

On Sunday, August 8, 2004 at 1:18 PM, Dave Matthews Band bus driver Stefan Wohl drove over the Kinzie Street Bridge and emptied the contents of his bus's septic tank through the open metal grate and into the Chicago River below. The bus's tank was full, containing 800 pounds of human waste.

Earlier, passenger boat Chicago’s Little Lady left Navy Pier at its 1:00 PM scheduled boat tour departure. While passing under the bridge, the boat received the full contents of the tank on the seats of its open-roof terrace. Roughly two-thirds of the 120 passengers aboard the tour boat were soaked. The boat immediately returned to Navy Pier, where all passengers were issued refunds. Five passengers went to Northwestern Memorial Hospital for testing. According to the Illinois Attorney General, passengers aboard included persons with disabilities, elderly, a pregnant woman, a small child, and an infant. The filing also describes the incident further:

Immediately following the incident, evidence as to the identity of the bus or bus driver was unclear to the Chicago Police Department, who stated they were investigating the incident but did not yet consider it a crime. On August 9, the Chicago Architecture Foundation released a statement that a witness had recorded license plate information, which they had turned over to the police as evidence. On August 10, bus driver Jerry Fitzpatrick, who also drove for the band, was identified as the owner of the bus's licence plate. In a phone interview, Fitzpatrick denied to a Chicago Tribune reporter that he had dumped the waste, asserting that he was parked in front of the band's hotel at the time. A publicist for the Dave Matthews Band issued a statement in response, saying that the band's management had determined that every one of its buses were parked at the time of the incident.

Fitzpatrick, who was in Effingham, Illinois at the time, instructed Sgt. Paul Gardner of the Effingham Police Department to inspect the bus's septic tank to prove that he could not have emptied it. Gardner reported to the Chicago Tribune over Fitzpatrick's cell phone that he had inspected the tank, and that it was nearly full.

State prosecutors worked with a nearby fitness gym, the East Bank Club, to determine the offending bus based on the gym's security videotapes. On August 24, Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan launched a $70,000 lawsuit against Wohl, alleging that he was responsible for the dumping. Wohl denied dumping the waste, and was supported by the band. On August 25, Mayor Richard M. Daley held a press conference about the incident, in which he released the videotape used as evidence. Mayor Daley also expressed that he believed the dumping was "absolutely unacceptable," but that he believed the Dave Matthew's Band was "a very good band."

In March 2005, Wohl plead guilty to reckless conduct and discharging contaminants to cause water pollution. He was sentenced to 18 months of probation, as well as 150 hours of community service and paid a fine of $10,000 to Friends of the Chicago River, an environmental organization responsible for maintaining the river. The Dave Matthews Band donated an additional $50,000 to Friends of the Chicago River, as well as $50,000 to the Chicago Park District, and paid the State of Illinois $200,000 as a settlement. The Dave Matthews Band additionally agreed to keep a log of when and where its buses empty their septic tanks.

No passengers suffered any long-lasting health effects from the exposure.

Source:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_Dave_Matthews_Band_Chicago_River_incident
Haven't we discussed this before?
Or did I imagine it? It's the sort of thing I would...

Last night I was serving pudding* and forgot to turn a gas ring off. Left a kitchen roll on top of it and of course it caught fire, as did the oven glove next to it. Kitchen on fire, oh GREAT.

No great harm done but I'm annoyed with myself for leaving the ring on as I ALWAYS switch off BEFORE removing the pan.

Last edited:
Back