• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Help With Odd Insect Identification

Wonder if they are sold in exotic Pet stores - (maybe a local one might be able to shed some light on it 'Stillill?')
I’m still not convinced it’s an animal yet. It’s could be a rubber toy insect,I really don’t know. I’ll see what the NHM say.

I’m still not convinced it’s an animal yet. It’s could be a rubber toy insect. I really don’t know. I’ll see what the NHM say.
I believe that in your photo of 'The Beast,' it shows that the legs are squashed and twisted, so I would imagine that it is the real thing. As if it were made of the rubber variety, the legs would not be so easily flattened but would stick out as they were originally formed and moulded? I would imagine that rubber would take a considerable amount of time before it would get as distorted as in the photo, unless it was subjected to heat.

I believe that in your photo of 'The Beast,' it shows that the legs are squashed and twisted...
Yep. I think it's a real creature that got caught in the rain and drowned.

Yep. I think it's a real creature that got caught in the rain and drowned.

In fact - if I'm making this out to be correct... isn't this a red Ant which appears to also have been squashed at the same time?

Unkown insect.jpeg

I'm thinking it might be one of these fellows -
'Formica Rubicunda?'

Red Ant.jpg

And a Red Ant wouldn't be at all interested in attacking a bit of old rubber!

In fact - if I'm making this out to be correct... isn't this a red Ant which appears to also have been squashed at the same time?

View attachment 27938
I'm thinking it might be one of these fellows -
'Formica Rubicunda?'

View attachment 27940

And a Red Ant wouldn't be at all interested in attacking a bit of old rubber!
Yes I can see what appears to be a red ant. I’m going to send the photo to what’sthatbug as well, as suggested by Mercury Crest.

Yes I can see what appears to be a red ant. I’m going to send the photo to what’sthatbug as well, as suggested by Mercury Crest.

Any news from the entomologists at NHM? :)

Back