• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Oh, The Irony

Maybe this should be in the silly mistakes thread. Maybe they think George Eliot was a nun eaten by cannibals.

Helen Macdonald @HelenJMacdonald

Oh my god ... they are ... *rubs eyes* they really are guarding the statue of George Eliot in Nuneaton.
8:16 AM · Jun 16, 2020·Tweetbot for iΟS
I went to college in Nuneaton .. one of our band members created a song for us called 'George Elliot Is A Transvestite' .. true story .. people got the joke at the time .. is she being accused of historical racism crime now?

Last edited:
I went to college in Nuneaton .. one of our band members created a song for us called 'George Elliot Is A Transvestite' .. true story .. people got the joke at the time .. is she being accused of historical racism crime now?

No, it's a case of some guys thinking every statue they see is under threat.

It's spelt Fatty....:dunno:

Coastguard call out after woman slips while admiring Llandudno rainbow hospital

Llandudno coastguard team and paramedics were called to rescue the injured woman after she tumbled down some "slippery" steps on the old lifeboat slipway at North Shore, at around 11.45pm yesterday.

The woman had come to see the stunning rainbow light display at Ysbyty Enfys Llandudno which pays tribute to NHS and key workers fighting the battle against coronavirus.

We've been there many times on t'bikes, it's a lovely area.

Angry customer thinks another customer is a store employee. A funny scene develops:
https://m.ranker.com/list/karen-mis..._campaign=karen-mistakes-someone-for-employee
When I first left school I worked in a bank where we all wore a uniform.
At lunchtime I sometimes went to browse one of the large department stores and one time a middle aged couple asked me where something was kept.
I politely said that I thought it was down such and such an aisle.
The woman snootily said that one would have thought that I would have had better knowledge to which I replied that I didn't work there which confused her somewhat.
No apology though, I guessed she was confused by my uniform.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I first left school I worked in a bank where we all wore a uniform.
At lunchtime I sometimes went to browse one of the large department stores and one time a middle aged couple asked me where something was kept.
I politely said that I thought it was down such and such an aisle.
The woman snootily said that one would have thought that I would have had better knowledge to which I replied that I didn't work there which confused her somewhat.
No apology though, I guessed she was confused by my uniform.
The same happened to me! In my first job, I had to wear a suit. One lunch break, I was browsing mags in WH Smiths and someone thought I worked there!

Last edited by a moderator:
The same happened to me! In my first job, I had to wear a suit. One lunch break, I was browsing mags in WH Smiths and someone thought I worked there!

"Just give me the cash and I'll put it in the till for you later."

Angry customer thinks another customer is a store employee. A funny scene develops:
https://m.ranker.com/list/karen-mis..._campaign=karen-mistakes-someone-for-employee

This (being mistaken for a store employee) happens to my husband a lot. He wears polo t-shirts often and looks a bit 'foreign' to some people*.

*i.e., stupid people.

Apropos of the thread: Man is killed by a shark whilst spear-fishing in Australia. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-53292992

"A man has died after being attacked by a shark off the east coast of Australia, officials say.

The 36-year-old was bitten on the leg while spearfishing in waters near Queensland's Fraser Island, north of Brisbane, police said on Saturday.

A doctor and nurse provided first aid treatment on shore, but the man was later pronounced dead at the scene when paramedics arrived."

I like sea fishing, but I must say I prefer to stay out of the sea whilst doing so (I'm not too keen about fishing from a boat, either) as the sea is their world, not mine.

When I was a roller on the shop floor during lockdown (uniform, clearance badge, cage on wheels), we'd get customers ask us for help. I'd suss out if I thought I could say "I'm sorry, I don't work here, I'm just an extremely organised shop lifter." then help them obviously. It got a few laughs. I suppose you had to be there.

Before vaccines, 'chicken pox parties' used to be held for children by American parents along with 'measles parties' and 'mumps parties'. The idea was to infect children while they were young to avoid the complications that adults are prone to with those diseases. As kids can still become seriously ill it's not the best idea.

(I first learned about this practice in the early '80s from Dr Spock's book and was astounded as vaccinations were already routine in the UK.)

So maybe people think a 'covid party' is like that? Like, if you've arranged to contract the virus it's under control?

Or perhaps I'm trying too hard to justify this stupidity.

Before vaccines, 'chicken pox parties' used to be held for children by American parents along with 'measles parties' and 'mumps parties'. The idea was to infect children while they were young to avoid the complications that adults are prone to with those diseases. As kids can still become seriously ill it's not the best idea.

(I first learned about this practice in the early '80s from Dr Spock's book and was astounded as vaccinations were already routine in the UK.)

So maybe people think a 'covid party' is like that? Like, if you've arranged to contract the virus it's under control?

Or perhaps I'm trying too hard to justify this stupidity.

Hasn't a laissez faire spread-it-about-a-bit policy been pretty well what Sweden has been doing from the start?

They seem to have suffered higher fatalities than their neighbours, but maybe that has something to do with ättestupa thinking?

If no vaccine appears in the near future and Sweden achieves herd immunity ahead of the rest of us though, then perhaps they will have the last laugh?

If no vaccine appears in the near future and Sweden achieves herd immunity ahead of the rest of us though, then perhaps they will have the last laugh?

The hopes for the herd immunity approach faded quite a bit once it was learned that COVID-19 antibodies obtained via mild cases of the disease don't persist in the body for longer than a very few months.

Hasn't a laissez faire spread-it-about-a-bit policy been pretty well what Sweden has been doing from the start?

They seem to have suffered higher fatalities than their neighbours, but maybe that has something to do with ättestupa thinking?

The minute a vaccine comes out I'll be there presenting whichever body part is necessary to receive it.

The hopes for the herd immunity approach faded quite a bit once it was learned that COVID-19 antibodies obtained via mild cases of the disease don't persist in the body for longer than a very few months.

So, rather than lose face and admit they got it wrong, the Swedes are still letting people die unnecessarily?

Back