• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

More Vivid Dreaming During The COVID-19 Pandemic

I woke up at 6.53 this morning, and went straight back to sleep again, whereupon my dream involved:
Clint Eastwood
An underwater house
Time travel
Bart, Lisa and Maggie Simpson
A train being hijacked by the local villagers
An enormous claw-footed Victorian-style bath
Woke up again at 8.15 because the door was creaking in the draught.
I cannot remember the details, but these are the things that stuck with me!

A couple of nights ago I was having a boring college dream (didn't recognise anyone) when it suddenly pulled back to illustrate the concept of parallel universes. I was floating in space looking down at a succession of purple and red planets that were linked by some sort of force, each a variation on the last. Then I noticed an Earth-like world in orbit around one of them and "zoomed in" on it to see the surface rushing up towards me, whereupon I was back in the college and the boring dream continued.

Last night's was more my usual wackiness, I had moved my bed into the back garden so I could see the birds better, and was lying there watching them eating seed and having dust baths. I was delighted to see a chaffinch among them (haven't seen one of those in the garden for years). Then a thunderstorm appeared on the horizon, and I worried my bed would get drenched.

well... back at work again and life is now governed by clocks and watches again. First thoughts: house arrest offered one heck of an opportunity to sleep naturally and uninteruptedly, to get up when I chose and to let my "natural" body rhythms reassert themselves. The pace of life slowed,and as nature reasserted itself and there was time to think, I got to confront aspects of my past that can still bedevil me and which really needed sorting out: given time and free rein, a lot of stuff re-emerged in dreams which had the space and leisure to express themselves: psychodrama! I got to re-examine past events and managed to get closure on one especially distressing time in my life, and that is something to be thankful for. (Had to stare things in the face that I'm not proud of and which could still take a toll in terms of grief and regret and embarrassment...)

Alarm now set for six am, when previously I got to sleep in of a morning, past nine or ten. Can't be good for me.

Although having said that, what's the betting we're back in lockdown again by the end of the year? We may yet move to Part Two of this thread!

Last edited:
back at work again and life is now governed by clocks and watches again

The in-house Medic - who has obviously been at work throughout this whole episode - says the positive side of my being furloughed and the Teenager being off school is that four days a week, we don't need an alarm.

Morning, well had a few last couple of weeks that I unfortunately can't remember but got a feeling that I was in the 30's but still had modern tech!!!
Anyway, last night's ones were....
Had an argument about the possessions in my house were not mine, including a bike, very physical that one,fighting.
Can't really remember the second one, third one though made me smile.
I was in a desert, the sky was a bright burnt orange colour and I was walking to a market and there was flannelette sheets hanging up. Heard voices talking about filming Julius Caesar and what the clothes would be like. Some tried on the flannel sheet and started walking round with the oak leaves on his head!!! He looked like that actor who starred in that film about the Mods and Rockers( I know the film but can't spell the bleeding name of it!!!!!!arrragh!!!!). He made me laugh but he was quite good.

I did see him in a trailer of that cooking program on the telly but they other ones, all I can think of is walking through a cloud of wacky Bacchus on the train station last night, I was even wearing my mask!!!!

He looked like that actor who starred in that film about the Mods and Rockers( I know the film but can't spell the bleeding name of it!!!!!!arrragh!!!!).
Quadrophenia?

I’ve had the same dream two nights in a row now. I’m looking down at an old man, just an ordinary generic old man,white hair etc., I’m only slightly more elevated than him. He is only about 6 feet away from me and he is sitting in between two floating metal girders which are at his head height . The girders are close to his head,about three feet away.
He is looking up at me and although there is no verbal communication I know he is trying to tell me something. The something is the metal girders. The girders are not symbolic of something but they are words as in synaesthesia. I didn’t work out what he was trying to tell me.
I’ve also had a lot of episodes of sleep paralysis the past two nights. If I have the same dream tonight then I might get the message.

Last edited:
I’ve had the same dream two nights in a row now. I’m looking down at an old man, just an ordinary generic old man,white hair etc., I’m only slightly more elevated than him. He is only about 6 feet away from me and he is sitting in between two floating metal girders which are at his head height . The girders are close to his head,about three feet away.
He is looking up at me and although there is verbal communication I know he is trying to tell me something. The something is the metal girders. The girders are not symbolic of something but they are words as in synaesthesia. I didn’t work out what he was trying to tell me.
I’ve also had a lot of episodes of sleep paralysis the past two nights. If I have the same dream tonight then I might get the message.
He's warning you to stay away from construction sites.

... I’m looking down at an old man, just an ordinary generic old man,white hair etc., I’m only slightly more elevated than him. He is only about 6 feet away from me and he is sitting in between two floating metal girders which are at his head height . The girders are close to his head,about three feet away. ...

How are these girders oriented relative to the old man's head? Are they vertical or horizontal? Are they floating on either side of his head, or are they placed in front and back of his head?

How are these girders oriented relative to the old man's head? Are they vertical or horizontal? Are they floating on either side of his head, or are they placed in front and back of his head?
They are horizontal and are either side of his head. I have just woken up for work and didn’t have the dream again so no message unfortunately.

They are horizontal and are either side of his head. I have just woken up for work and didn’t have the dream again so no message unfortunately.
Could it have been related to the collapse of the crane onto houses in your neck of the woods?

Peculiarly, I dreamt last night that I had the dreaded bug and was in hospital in a very bad way. A middle aged woman (not a nurse or a doctor) kept coming in to see me, holding my hand, and it seemed I was married to her, although I had no idea who she was. I kept asking for Ms PeteS but was told she was not allowed to see me, despite the fact that she had been coming to the hospital. I woke suddenly to hear Ms PeteS crying in her sleep and when I woke her she told me she had been having a bad dream which involved her being prevented from seeing me by someone, although she could not identify the context. Weird little coincidence, perhaps related to the fact that she is now working back in an office.

I was in a taxi & en route to wherever I was going it became apparent I needed a number 2 fairly urgently. Due to everything shut & no public toilets open I had to do it in the taxi. Fortunately there was a brand new top hat belonging to the taxi driver on the back seat which served the purpose. I was then left with a large turd in a hat looking for some way of disposing then cleaning out/disinfecting the hat, which was far too posh & expensive to just throw away. Then I woke up.

The other night i had a dream about shopping in town. Just ambling around in the sun, browsin the charity shops, popping in and out of shops. No queueing, no masks, no distancing. It was an immensely boring dream but when i woke up i felt very sad. Like something has ended but permanently but you've only just realised it.

Finally...FINALLY I dreamed of my big old dog last night! He's been gone for four years now and I so wanted to see him once more in a dream. I'd dreamed a lot about our old terrier (gone two and a half years), but never him.

Last night I saw him again. Knew it was a dream instantly, because I knew he was gone. He was happy and well and not lame as he'd been in his last year or so, not bounding like a puppy but a sensible, middle aged dog. He came up to me and I buried my face in his lovely thick fur and hugged him and told him I loved him. I don't remember much more about the context of the dream. I woke up happy that I'd seen him again (but just remembering the dream makes me cry, I miss that old chap so much...)

Just delighted to report that it was finally his turn to visit me!

I've had a similar dream-cum-nightmare three times in the last week, each concerning a non-corporeal object coming to life, and each viewed through a window.

In the first one there was a doll in the garden that was alive – I tried to mouth the word 'doll' but only managed to wake my wife with my whimpering. A couple of nights later I dreamt that there was a large puppet, several feet long, lying on its side in the garden. As I watched through the window I saw it start to roll over and knocked on the window.

The last (hopefully): I was indoors watching a large two-dimensional black, red and white kite/streamer flying in the sky, doing loops and the like, and then I realised it was alive. Again, I knocked on the window to attract its attention. I woke, quite shaken again.

I'm guessing it's the present situation but the specific symbolism isn't immediately obvious. Mrs Cycleboy thinks it means I'm afraid about returning to work but it doesn't feel like that to me.

Finally...FINALLY I dreamed of my big old dog last night! He's been gone for four years now and I so wanted to see him once more in a dream. I'd dreamed a lot about our old terrier (gone two and a half years), but never him.

Last night I saw him again. Knew it was a dream instantly, because I knew he was gone. He was happy and well and not lame as he'd been in his last year or so, not bounding like a puppy but a sensible, middle aged dog. He came up to me and I buried my face in his lovely thick fur and hugged him and told him I loved him. I don't remember much more about the context of the dream. I woke up happy that I'd seen him again (but just remembering the dream makes me cry, I miss that old chap so much...)

I'd love to dream of my old dog. Years ago, he was asleep on the bed and I had a dream we were walking along the cliff and there were sausages at the cliffs edge he was trying to get to. I am sure it was his dream and not mine.

Anyway. This week the OH is away so I've let my current dog sleep on the bed, I dreamt he was chasing and playing with bunny rabbits and having a lovely time. Again I think that was his dream .

He is currently asleep on the sofa and obviously dreaming again.

I had to do it in the taxi.

There is a character in Proust who achieves wealth, after years of poverty. She makes a point of shitting in taxis, justifying it by the way she was treated when poor. I think Marcel was making a point about arrivistes, though yesterday's arrivistes are today's establishment, for sure! :curt:

There is a character in Proust who achieves wealth, after years of poverty. She makes a point of shitting in taxis, justifying it by the way she was treated when poor. I think Marcel was making a point about arrivistes, though yesterday's arrivistes are today's establishment, for sure! :curt:
Seems a bit harsh on taxi drivers..

I was in a taxi & en route to wherever I was going it became apparent I needed a number 2 fairly urgently. Due to everything shut & no public toilets open I had to do it in the taxi. Fortunately there was a brand new top hat belonging to the taxi driver on the back seat which served the purpose. I was then left with a large turd in a hat looking for some way of disposing then cleaning out/disinfecting the hat, which was far too posh & expensive to just throw away. Then I woke up.
Reading this post via @JamesWhitehead I didn't realise straightaway this was a dream thread until the last sentence. :rollingw:

It's funny to think that animals dream. Our little cat (not quite "all there") appears to dream frequently - her whiskers twitch and all 4 legs go as if she is running. I gently stroke her when this happens and she relaxes. I wonder what they dream about.
Running and catching mice, of course.

that dream might have been a visit. I hope so.

Back