• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
NO. The guy who ‘took’ the photo does CGI. When asked about this he said ‘I’m not very good at it’. The EXIF data also showed photoshop. And he asks what sort of fish it is. I’ve never seen more suspect provenace.

It gets better. Compare these pics of the markings of a catfish and a monster.

1593033645612.jpeg

1593033940491.jpeg

NO. The guy who ‘took’ the photo does CGI. When asked about this he said ‘I’m not very good at it’. The EXIF data also showed photoshop. And he asks what sort of fish it is. I’ve never seen more suspect provenace.
At least something true has been said in this, he’s not actually very good!

That's a remarkable find - the markings match down to each individual "splotch."

That's a wels catfish from the River Po (Italy). The fellow in the photo is attributed as fishing guide Benjamin Gründer (sometimes shown as Grunder or Grundler). His catch is documented in multiple places on the 'Net. Here are representative examples:

https://www.anglersmail.co.uk/news/huge-catfish-77819
https://www.gtgoodtimes.com/2018/04...ord-landing-129-kg-giant-catfish-large-shark/

The fish was released after the pictured catch, and Gründer has chased giant catfish in the Po for some time.

I can't find a photo of the catfish from the same apparent angle as the Loch Ness image. However, I suspect the loch version could reasonably have been constructed using the photo posted above if a section of the catfish's dorsal area was excerpted from the fishing photo, manipulated as a standalone chunk, and inserted into a photo of the loch.

Catfish: A fake or stolen online identity created or used for the purposes of beginning a deceptive relationship.

The dude who faked this pic got a short relationship with fame and got caught.

Here's a newly published report on the pseudo-Nessie catfish photo ...
There's a New Photo Circulating of The Loch Ness Monster, But Guess What

A new photo showing a mystery creature swimming in Loch Ness has sparked new interest in Nessie, the long-necked plesiosaur-like cryptid rumoured to inhabit the loch's dark and enigmatic depths.
There's just one big problem, and you can probably guess what it is. The image has been digitally manipulated. ...

FULL STORY: https://www.sciencealert.com/this-n...terious-creature-in-loch-ness-is-totally-fake

Edit to Add:

Last year's Loch Ness DNA capture and analysis did not find any trace of catfish DNA in the loch.

https://www.sciencealert.com/there-...ess-raising-questions-about-nessie-s-identity

I thought not.

isnt it time we stopped pandering to this nonsense and relegated the LNM to pseudocrypotzoology??

If there isnt such a thing; I just invented it

Darren Naish posted a twitter thread worth reading. So I "spooled" it and saved it here.

Loch Ness Monster eating a sheep: The popular depiction of the Spicer sighting has issues

Did Nessie claim another victim?

A call of nature may have cost a Polish man his life after he fell into Scotland’s most famous loch at night.

A friend on the yacht cruelly named Miss Adventure dived into the freezing waters of Loch Ness on Thursday to try to rescue him.

But he also got into trouble and was pulled from the water by rescuers while others began a desperate search for his companion, who it’s thought fell over after peeing into the water.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/man-feared-drowned-loch-ness-22337754

Did Nessie claim another victim?

A call of nature may have cost a Polish man his life after he fell into Scotland’s most famous loch at night.

A friend on the yacht cruelly named Miss Adventure dived into the freezing waters of Loch Ness on Thursday to try to rescue him.

But he also got into trouble and was pulled from the water by rescuers while others began a desperate search for his companion, who it’s thought fell over after peeing into the water.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/man-feared-drowned-loch-ness-22337754

Stupid name to call a boat.

Stupid name to call a boat.
Agreed, but isn't it also bad luck to rename them?

Many recreational boats these days have jokey names. Miss Adventure, being a play on words, falls into this category. Other common ones include "Unsinkable 2" and "Nauti Lass".

Time was when a boat's name was as important a choice as choosing a name for your child. For warships, a dignified and memorable name was essential. For merchant ships, there was an element of marketing as ships were chosen to carry cargoes at a time when the difference between a "good ship" and a "bad ship" could be weeks extra on the voyage, or the risk of loss of the ship and cargo.

There was (is?) a mariners' superstition that Neptune/Poseidon kept a register of all the ships on the sea. Apart from the effect on marketing if a well-known ship changed her name, there was a belief either that it would anger or confuse the sea god.

There is a "softer" tradition that a ship's name should not be changed during one owner's tenure. So I could sell you my dinghy, Lookfar, and you could rename her as long as you did so immediately.

In those cases where it is felt expedient to change a vessel's name, there is a tradition that every possible indicator of the old name should be removed. That means remove the name from the bow and stern, replace the bell, and any engraved or otherwise marked items such as life rings, life boats, and so on, as well as on the crew's uniforms. The log book and other ships papers should at least be permanently removed from the boat and ideally burned. Even today, this is sometimes taken very seriously.

There are then various supposed ceremonies which tend to involve beseeching the sea god(s) and the 4 winds to expunge the old name from their records, and to accept the new one. A libation is poured into the sea and onto the vessel. In one version I have read, a virgin has to urinate on the bow of the ship.

Some of these supposed "traditional ceremonies" sound as if they were very recently made up, and some read like a joke, but the basic idea of changing a boat's name being a Big Thing is very real. The sea is a dangerous place and even the most rational sailors are prone to some degree of superstition — a sort of variation on the idea of there being no atheists in foxholes.

Back