• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Owzabout That Then? The Jimmy Savile Revelations & Aftermath

If by 'defending him' you mean actually coming out and saying that it was okay for him to indulge in sexual abuse, then I don't recall anyone on this site actually doing that; I'm happy to be corrected on that - but I'd also really be quite surprised.

I think the danger with Savile is that he's actually become a bit of a distraction. Personally, I have no doubt that he was a malevolent sleazeball of the first water - but the accusations against him will forever remain untested in any legal sense: his victims will remain alleged victims, and the fact that the dead have no legal rights means that his actual crimes will forever attract a crust of false allegation and lurid tabloid fantasy which will only ever serve to muddle the focus on any actual criminal activity.

His death allowed the subject to be turned into a grand guignol horror carnival, where the media can indulge in every lurid fantasy without the least concern of legal comeback. But, unfortunately, for any real victims, his is now an 'over there, then' thing - whereas what society really needs to be doing is looking over here, now. Yes, we need to learn from past mistakes but we need to do that in order to bang up the Weinsteins, not shout at ghosts.
One plus side to the media attention though was, watching the reaction of the local TV news presenters and how they had to turn on a sixpence. They'd been boasting about being his close friend, front row seats at the funeral, and this really gushing, disgusting coverage of the lying in state in Leeds etc - then suddenly had to report it as if none of that ever happened (and I bet a certain well known Yorkshire news presenter has destroyed all the footage, too!). It was very curious watching the same people who had praised him hugely when he'd died suddenly have to act faux indignation - and act as if none of us had seen the earlier coverage along the lines of "I was his best mate, me!"

So repulsive, though, that I have never watched local news again. I wanted to see them suffer for a bit - but every time I see that certain presenter since, I just feel a little sick.

The victims are the important ones at the end of the day and I can't imagine how difficult that is, never getting your day in court, and knowing he was still lauded up to his death and never feared the knock on the door for a moment of his life.

I've always found the connection with Anthony Burgess interesting. A friend of mine was doing a book on Burgess and, as part of his research, he'd discovered Burgess had known Savile back in the day and had repeatedly gone on the record as saying he hated him. Anyway, my friend wrote to Savile asking how he knew Burgess - and eventually Savile wrote back saying he didn't know what he was talking about and had never met him!

I've always found the connection with Anthony Burgess interesting. A friend of mine was doing a book on Burgess and, as part of his research, he'd discovered Burgess had known Savile back in the day and had repeatedly gone on the record as saying he hated him. Anyway, my friend wrote to Savile asking how he knew Burgess - and eventually Savile wrote back saying he didn't know what he was talking about and had never met him!
Wonder what that was about? It's intriguing.

I was once flashed, grubby old school style, by a woman in London .. I was walking up the steps to The Tate gallery when a woman sitting on the steps opened her legs to reveal she wasn't wearing any knickers and looked right at me ! .. she was a reasonably attractive middle aged looking woman, she didn't look crazy but looks aren't everything .. I've been boob flashed by other younger women before but they've just been having a laugh, drunk and on a girls night out so fair play ..
That Tracey Emin doesn't know where to draw the line.

Unbelievable how shitty some people are.

I wonder what happened to his millions?

This: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27236420

Money from Jimmy Savile's estate will be used to fund compensation payments to the victims of his abuse until every penny of his money is used, it has been confirmed.

The estate bequeathed by the former Jim'll Fix It presenter has been valued at £3.3m, after an initial estimate of around £4m.

In February, victims were advised that under the compensation scheme that was approved following a High Court ruling, they could make claims against the Savile estate, the BBC or the NHS, with payments capped at £60,000.

Neither - it's 'JIMMY THE BEAST' and 'JUSTICE FOR HOLLIE GREIG'.

What I still find astonishing is that Savile managed to get away with it for so long when it was well known what he was up to. I saw him regularly way back when driving about in his Roller and even as a teenager I thought he was a repulsive character. It came as quite a shock however when the allegations and subsequent conviction of Rolf Harris (another well known tv personality in the UK and contemporary of Savile's) for similar offences alleged against JS, came to light. Most had no idea.

What I still find astonishing is that Savile managed to get away with it for so long when it was well known what he was up to.
I used to be a teenage girl and I don't find it astonishing at all. It seemed to be entirely up to us to not get predated by rapists because if we were, that was our fault. And if you look at what has been happening in Rotherham etc, it still is.

I used to be a teenage girl and I don't find it astonishing at all. It seemed to be entirely up to us to not get predated by rapists because if we were, that was our fault. And if you look at what has been happening in Rotherham etc, it still is.

this!

This. 100%
The responsibility is still on children and women to not get abused and raped. Not on the abusers to not do it.

With Savile, it's almost as if he seemed so dodgy and unlikeable (and with plenty of "nudge nudge, wink wink" rumours) that we believed it couldn't be true, because if it were, then surely the authorities would have done something about it. A sort of double bluff.

I'm probably trying to over-rationalise things, based on a memory of how I felt all those years ago, but I don't know how else to explain it. After all, when the dozens of testimonies emerged after his death, none of us were utterly shocked, whereas when Rolf (for example) was charged, I felt a real disappointment, as if a little bit of my childhood had been chipped away.

Last edited:
My Mum had a rather dim view of the man and his proclivities - this was early 1970's.

Which gets me wondering, how did a middle-aged woman out here in Australia know about someone like him, at that time (we left the UK in 1961).

When did his...activities become public knowledge? Anyone?

He left about £4.3m.

Not actually a huge amount of money by rich people standards (being a millionaire isn't what it used to be). Interesting that he managed to have such a lot of power, connections and influence while being on the lower end of the millionaire scale.

Yes I understand, what I was trying to say was the fact that his activities were spread over decades, and his activities were well known, so that he would have been a relatively easy target for criminal prosecution, given those 2 aspects.
The paedo case I got involved in highlighted the fact that authorities including the Police prefer to turn a blind eye- and here we were talking about a very violent school teacher. The Local Authority even threatened me with legal action if I continued. (of course I did).

Not actually a huge amount of money by rich people standards (being a millionaire isn't what it used to be). Interesting that he managed to have such a lot of power, connections and influence while being on the lower end of the millionaire scale.

That puzzled me too. I reckon there's a fortune hidden away somewhere. If Savile expected his victims to eventually speak up he'd be planning to avoid paying out.

The paedo case I got involved in highlighted the fact that authorities including the Police prefer to turn a blind eye- and here we were talking about a very violent school teacher. The Local Authority even threatened me with legal action if I continued. (of course I did).

Great work! Standing up for children. How shameful that the Local Authority did not.

My Mum had a rather dim view of the man and his proclivities - this was early 1970's.

Which gets me wondering, how did a middle-aged woman out here in Australia know about someone like him, at that time (we left the UK in 1961).

When did his...activities become public knowledge? Anyone?

I'm 62 any minute and knew he was considered dodgy around kids from the early '70s when I was a young teenager. There were jokes about him and speculation about his fondness for hospital visiting.

Perhaps he spent his money? What's the point of having money in the bank when you die?

Perhaps he spent his money?

In the Louis Theroux documentary, his domestic arrangements were depicted as very austere. He never cooked, for instance. His main dwelling was the flat, which he maintained as a shrine to his deceased mother. I think a lot of his time was spent on cruise ships. I imagine that his charidee credentials got him a lot of stuff gratis. He could, I suppose, have used his connections to feather his nest but he got his jollies from control and influence. His most perverted aspect was essentially his narcissism. Imagine being Jimmy Savile and loving it! :party:

In the Louis Theroux documentary, his domestic arrangements were depicted as very austere. He never cooked, for instance. His main dwelling was the flat, which he maintained as a shrine to his deceased mother. I think a lot of his time was spent on cruise ships. I imagine that his charidee credentials got him a lot of stuff gratis. He could, I suppose, have used his connections to feather his nest but he got his jollies from control and influence. His most perverted aspect was essentially his narcissism. Imagine being Jimmy Savile and loving it! :party:

Nail on the head there! Savile didn't need a lavish lifestyle.

Back