• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Everything Is Spying On Us

MorningAngel

Justified & Ancient
I’m sure there a thread about this but I’ve not found it.

We decided last week to treat ourselves and get a couple of bits from Fortnum and Mason. Mum had a look at a couple of bits on her iPad and I ordered everything on mine.

Just now she has had a F&M advert come up on Facebook. It had the things she looked at but also what I had ordered even the things I’d put in my basket and changed my mind about. These were things mum hadn’t looked up so how was in all on her Facebook? Very weird.

Apparently birds are actually government drones. This is what happens when the population stops eating pigeons.
Early 2000ish I was working on the refurbishment of a very old and majestic government building in Whitehall. English heritage had a big say in everything we did and when reviewing the designs for the security provision their architect had a moan about the aesthetics of the security cameras, unsightly, big and bulky. He then enquired if modern technology could disguise the cameras as pigeons...”or something less obtrusive”. A whole room of construction professionals were biting their bottoms lips to stifle the roaring laughter that was trying to escape.

I’m sure there a thread about this but I’ve not found it.

We decided last week to treat ourselves and get a couple of bits from Fortnum and Mason. Mum had a look at a couple of bits on her iPad and I ordered everything on mine.

Just now she has had a F&M advert come up on Facebook. It had the things she looked at but also what I had ordered even the things I’d put in my basket and changed my mind about. These were things mum hadn’t looked up so how was in all on her Facebook? Very weird.

We have a thread about Facebook listening to us, that what you saw?

Early 2000ish I was working on the refurbishment of a very old and majestic government building in Whitehall. English heritage had a big say in everything we did and when reviewing the designs for the security provision their architect had a moan about the aesthetics of the security cameras, unsightly, big and bulky. He then enquired if modern technology could disguise the cameras as pigeons...”or something less obtrusive”. A whole room of construction professionals were biting their bottoms lips to stifle the roaring laughter that was trying to escape.
Did you deliberately just use the name The Majestic? … that's two Jim Carrey films mentioned in this thread so far ..

Did you deliberately just use the name The Majestic? … that's two Jim Carrey films mentioned in this thread so far ..
The building in question is one of the great government buildings on Whitehall and can easily be considered Majestic.

Nothing like a good wood pigeon shot over a field of peas or rape.

Yup but not one that's lived on discarded chips and kebabs.
I've eaten pigeon and game. Wouldn't eat them now. Urban pigeons though - urk.

Heh, reminds me of a scene in The Sopranos. The guys are eating at Artie's and Sil picks up a small roast quail. He asks mockingly 'Did I see this little guy takin' a shit on a statue this mornin'?'

Everyone laughs except for Artie, who smiles bleakly. The Mob don't often pay their tab so he's reduced to cobbling up 'specials' of whatever cheap food is lying around. That quail could well be a pigeon!

We're a Truman Show but who are the real watchers?
47638.jpg

Heh, reminds me of a scene in The Sopranos. The guys are eating at Artie's and Sil picks up a small roast quail. He asks mockingly 'Did I see this little guy takin' a shit on a statue this mornin'?'

Everyone laughs except for Artie, who smiles bleakly. The Mob don't often pay their tab so he's reduced to cobbling up 'specials' of whatever cheap food is lying around. That quail could well be a pigeon!
We are lucky in as much as we have a couple of hundred acres of essex farmland to wander over and we can shoot our own. Admittedly I only shoot what we put down as game, pheasant and partridge, but I don’t think I would be averse to a good pigeon day to help protect a farmers crop. And we would eat what we shoot.

We are lucky in as much as we have a couple of hundred acres of essex farmland to wander over and we can shoot our own. Admittedly I only shoot what we put down as game, pheasant and partridge, but I don’t think I would be averse to a good pigeon day to help protect a farmers crop. And we would eat what we shoot.

I really like wood pigeon. They were in Waitrose occasionally but not seen them since Covid kicked in. You can't get them in many outlets.

So... You're suggesting I stop eating pigeons then...
I have to agree with Skargy about urban pigeons .. well I don't have to but I want to because too many meat eating friends have told me they're not at all pleasant to eat and have matched her 'sky rats' assessment .. I could be wrong so if you have any urban pigeon recipes, I'd be open minded and will give it a go anyway please .. I've enjoyed smoked wood pigeon in the past .. I like trying unconventional meat so I'm the sort of bastard who'd try dolphin, squirrel or hedgehog ..

I have to agree with Skargy about urban pigeons .. well I don't have to but I want to because too many meat eating friends have told me they're not at all pleasant to eat and have matched her 'sky rats' assessment .. I could be wrong so if you have any urban pigeon recipes, I'd be open minded and will give it a go anyway please .. I've enjoyed smoked wood pigeon in the past .. I like trying unconventional meat so I'm the sort of bastard who'd try dolphin, squirrel or hedgehog ..
Do you know how to cook hedgehog?

same - I would not touch city pigeons at all. Rats with wings and worst than rats - they are often missing legs and allsorts.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Back